Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathaniel Clyne

1. #1 Default Nathaniel Clyne 
    Recently read a fanpage which stated they cannot wait for his return "as it can't come soon enough for us"

my first thought was WHAT?

I know there was a discussion on here at some stage last season which went into some detail, my first thought was always he got away with murder due to other players even more obvious failings

Clyne last season was really really poor, his end product is something worse than you'll see in non league football and his defending wasn't as good as people made out to be

This season obviously he is injured, so we've had to accelerate Trent's 1st team action - something of which i begged for anyway last season time and time again after watching Clyne stink the place out

I didn't expect Gomez to be played RB, but also has come as a nice surprise that he can play that role well

At the moment the team have a nice balance of rotating 2 young players who by the week game after game are getting better...

Why would Clyne's return be beneficial to Liverpool now? he was never that good and why now would you stunt the growth of 2 young players who are on the way to becoming proper full backs for club and eventually country

Clyne was a player i was also happy for the club to let go, and seen no evidence to suggest that view is any different

Simple fact is i forgot he was even injured and at Liverpool as he hasnt been missed at all, where you compare Lallana'a injury has had obvious impact on our pressing style which has affected form and results
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

He's a decent right back, when all said and done.
    YNWA

He is better than our current options. Always solid but offers nothing going forward.

He will be an option but nothing more.

He should never start against defensive sides as his attacking play is woeful for a top flight fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by -SP7- View Post
    He is better than our current options. Always solid but offers nothing going forward.
    that comment is a contradiction in itself

we are a team who nearly every game will have 60% possession so will be on the front foot attacking for about 50 minutes of a game

then say our full back who offers nothing going forward is a better option?

that literally makes no sense at all

Quote Originally Posted by SurreyLiverpoolFan1983 View Post

we are a team who nearly every game will have 60% possession so will be on the front foot attacking for about 50 minutes of a game

If we are "any" team, then we are a defensively suspect team. We usually do score our goals but almost always concede soft goals. Clyne adds more to our defensive qualities.

Until we improve our midfield which can defend and attack with equal ease, i would prefer Clyne in tough matches.

BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    His final ball is pretty crap, also he's not as strong in the tackle or as good in the air as Gomez, Trent is far better going forwards. He's just an average RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
    If we are "any" team, then we are a defensively suspect team. We usually do score our goals but almost always concede soft goals. Clyne adds more to our defensive qualities.

Until we improve our midfield which can defend and attack with equal ease, i would prefer Clyne in tough matches.
    sorry did you not watch us last season? with Clyne in our team we still couldn't defend, all we did was take away 1 aspect of our attack on the right flank by having Clyne in the team

the point is with either trent or gomez, the defending doesnt really change, again its a team problem that is miles away from being fixed

but what we have now is an option of attack down the right flank either by crossing, someone confident to take on a shot when presented or someone who can break the line behind his full back when Salah comes inside - 3 options you will never get with Clyne

Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    His final ball is pretty crap, also he's not as strong in the tackle or as good in the air as Gomez, Trent is far better going forwards. He's just an average RB.
    it's something I said a lot last season Clyne's defending isn't as good as people try to make out - it's okay but nothing more than okay.

Not essentially a dig at Clyne, as the art of defending is dying in all aspects of players

If you work on the basis of football in 2017 and the future for the big boy teams, full backs are essentially now wingers

expect mistakes, and except them for what they are, full backs are wingers, so will always have moments it looks utterly crazy where they are positioned on the pitch

So if you except the basis of above, (especially for a Klopp team) then essentially you are left with the idea that traits of a modern player are attacking and Clyne has no room in the Liverpool team

We all wanted Klopp as manager, and with that, look at the make up of his style, full backs aren't full back's, so expect mistakes and positional nightmares and expect to concede face palming goals at times

He's the best defensively and probably behind Trent going fwd.

For me right now still our best right back although Gomez performance against united was superb.

He was poor in the 2nd half of last season, no doubt about it. Shouldn't walk back into the team but who knows maybe the unwanted period of rest might be good for him in the long run. A decent full back no doubt about that and a good option at right back and decent cover for left back (unlikely that we'll need it but you never know).

When fit, I'm pretty sure Clyne will go straight into our starting line up.

Nathaniel has his flaws of course, but at this point, he is still a better RB than Trent and Joe.

We are doing really good at right back with Joe Gomez and TAA..thank you very much.

Joe shld consider taking righback as his rightful position. He is 20,Hello and mustering the position.

TAA is a natural.

Nathaniel?

Who?
    Let him move on.

Alpha Papa is online now Academy prospect
    I'd go with TAA for most games tbh, with Clyne stepping in when we feel the oppo might put us under real pressure.

Far too often last year our game against smaller teams involved Hendo/Matip switching it across to the back to Clyne, and then the move fizzling out. We need someone with more attacking ability there - and his partnership with Salah looks excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs He..eghhhh View Post
    We are doing really good at right back with Joe Gomez and TAA..thank you very much.

Joe shld consider taking righback as his rightful position. He is 20,Hello and mustering the position.

TAA is a natural.

Nathaniel?

Who?
    Let him move on.
    so you believe Gomez is a better option than Trent as long term right back?

I always thought Gomez would turn into a great CB, my worry is the more he plays RB, the more he moves himself away as a CB, as its a position you need to play regularly to get comfortable in the role

He is decent enough but Trent has a higher ceiling than him and he is possibly very close to Clyne's level already.

I always thought Gomez would turn into a great CB, my worry is the more he plays RB, the more he moves himself away as a CB, as its a position you need to play regularly to get comfortable in the role
    Gomez doesn't bring much to the table attacking wise, that's the issue of him playing as a RB, his defensive game has been a bit of a mixed bag in that position too.

Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I said the exact same thing in the Clyne thread and was accused of creating "fake news". A squad player at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    Gomez doesn't bring much to the table attacking wise, that's the issue of him playing as a RB, his defensive game has been a bit of a mixed bag in that position too.
    no i don't see Gomez in that position either, but its been great for him to get his fitness and in the team playing again after injuries.

Something he would never of got as a CB, so playing him at RB has been valuable to him and also done the team no real damage.

Question will be, will he ever get the chance at CB, I personally would of played him there last night and def at Anfield against Maribor in the next game, no need for Matip and Lovren after last night, they offered nothing in attack with pace or power

Long term I think Gomez and TAA will be neck and neck. Gomez has a defensive astuness and physicality which puts him in a good stead. He just needs to adjust to playing right back at Premier league level because itís not his natural position

TAA is good there but just needs to improve on his defensive and physical side.

I think Clyne is a limited player and a slow thinker

no i don't see Gomez in that position either, but its been great for him to get his fitness and in the team playing again after injuries.

Something he would never of got as a CB, so playing him at RB has been valuable to him and also done the team no real damage.

Question will be, will he ever get the chance at CB, I personally would of played him there last night and def at Anfield against Maribor in the next game, no need for Matip and Lovren after last night, they offered nothing in attack with pace or power
    I don't really know to be fair but I would rather find out than giving minutes to someone like Klavan who we already know is not good enough for any purpose.

His deliveries in the box have been on the money starting with the Arsenal game. We could have also scored last Saturday but for Can.

And he is very comfortable on the ball and when we are in possession and very good on the pass..to initiate our offense.

Him and TAA work the ball routinely and easily in a way Clyne can only dream of.

Gomez will improve even further because age is on his side and considering that this wasnít his #1 position.

TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Heís okay, but I must admit itís not a return Iíve been clamouring for or even thinking about much to be honest. If anything itíll be a chance to give the other two a chance in more favoured positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs He..eghhhh View Post
    Long term I think Gomez and TAA will be neck and neck. Gomez has a defensive astuness and physicality which puts him in a good stead. He just needs to adjust to playing right back at Premier league level because it’s not his natural position

TAA is good there but just needs to improve on his defensive and physical side.

I think Clyne is a limited player and a slow thinker
    i was never a fan of Clyne before he joined, and that view has stayed even more so now after 2 years of no real progress shown in his ability and any sign of improvements in any of his weaknesses

as someone else stated, Trent is already on Clyne's ability level and has a high ceiling to progress further, which means there's no need for Clyne

I don't really know to be fair but I would rather find out than giving minutes to someone like Klavan who we already know is not good enough for any purpose.
    i guess the situation we are in that he is required to play on rotation at RB right now and that in turn has meant he's outgrown the need to play 23's football where no doubt he'd be playing as CB

There were times in pre-season where he looked sloppy in possession at CB, but given it was more than just a pre-season for him, it was almost a fresh start, it was always going to be twitchy at times

As you say Klavan is not needed at the club in any capacity, so Gomez has to be next in line, but already Klopp makes enough changes to his back line and almost seems settled in Matip and Lovren at every possible chance now (which is good)

just cant see the next game Gomez plays if its not rotation with Trent

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnucklesOfAgger View Post
    Heís okay, but I must admit itís not a return Iíve been clamouring for or even thinking about much to be honest. If anything itíll be a chance to give the other two a chance in more favoured positions.
    i'd imagine most fans are watching Lallana a bit more closely for his return

certainly will help solve the conundrum of getting either Can or Widjnaldum out of the team for someone will more drive and quality going forward

We need him back, because Klavan has looked terrible this season and I would prefer Gomez as a 3rd choice CB.

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    I'd rather stick with TAA. Clyne's contribution in the final third is *****.

Yes because he can defend and we have a huge issue with conceding goals.

He's alright and I think his experience would be a help in big occasions. Trent should be our right back in the near future if he keeps on improving.