Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: Any goalkeepers here?

1. #1 Default Any goalkeepers here? 
    TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    I used to play sunday league football during my younger days but now I play 5 aside goals which is fun and competitive, I play twice a week with friends and a team.

For the past few weeks I've been getting a bruising/swelling to my left elbow after every game (yes I'm really strong on that side) which goes away after few days but it's become a frequent thing.

Been doing a bit of research, the surface I play on with my friends isn't great and it could be cause of me diving on the ground with my left hand a lot. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Should I get it checked with my GP?
    ?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiedle View Post
    I used to play sunday league football during my younger days but now I play 5 aside goals which is fun and competitive, I play twice a week with friends and a team.

For the past few weeks I've been getting a bruising/swelling to my left elbow after every game (yes I'm really strong on that side) which goes away after few days but it's become a frequent thing.

Been doing a bit of research, the surface I play on with my friends isn't great and it could be cause of me diving on the ground with my left hand a lot. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Should I get it checked with my GP?
    I would get it checked out. I have not experienced anything like that in the past but remember playing 10 minutes after dislocating my little finger.

Tennis elbow?
    YNWA

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    Tennis elbow?
    was thinking same, pretty uncomfortable too
    dont look back in anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    Tennis elbow?
    Could be that mate, it was painful to begin with now it just comes and goes everytime I play.
    ?

Could be that mate, it was painful to begin with now it just comes and goes everytime I play.
    Sounds like a tennis elbow.
    And as a former goalkeeper who is not a doctor i can only advice you to visit one

If you haven’t done already, doctor in the first instance. Can you tell if it’s muscular or tendons? I had two particular injuries playing as a goalkeeper - the first was when I’d hyperextended my elbow making a save. I knew I’d done it, but every time I thought it had healed, the next game would aggravate it. Ended up needing physiotherapy for 6 weeks. The other injury was tendonitis, which was ‘possibly’ caused by repeated minor bangs - such as the sort we receive as goalkeepers! Took a while to go away, but frequent icing was the main treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by God'sLeftFoot View Post
    If you haven’t done already, doctor in the first instance. Can you tell if it’s muscular or tendons? I had two particular injuries playing as a goalkeeper - the first was when I’d hyperextended my elbow making a save. I knew I’d done it, but every time I thought it had healed, the next game would aggravate it. Ended up needing physiotherapy for 6 weeks. The other injury was tendonitis, which was ‘possibly’ caused by repeated minor bangs - such as the sort we receive as goalkeepers! Took a while to go away, but frequent icing was the main treatment.
    Yep got it checked its a tendon issue, been told not to play for 2 months so the swelling disappears but I played last week cos it felt fine not the swelling has come back again. I'm a little annoyed with myself.
    ?

Yep got it checked its a tendon issue, been told not to play for 2 months so the swelling disappears but I played last week cos it felt fine not the swelling has come back again. I'm a little annoyed with myself.
    Mate, it's not worth aggravating it.

I've had a number of tendon problems through playing sports and it's always the same old story. Rest up, mate.

yeah definitely look the GP to find out if there's anything wrong

if you're playing on a hard surface you need more padding as the tracksuit bottoms in goalkeepers have little bit of padding and tops but you need more padding

look to buy pads what you can put over your arms and knees

I think you need to have a word with your defence. yre diving a lot to keep out shots which theyre obviously not closing down enough.