Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Battle to be #1 Goalkeeper Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    The real, and only, battle between Migs and Karius.

http://forums.liverpoolfc.com/misc.p...osted&t=391010
    ****** hell ST!!!...He is migs himself.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    ****** hell ST!!!...He is migs himself.
    He may well be!
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

+Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    I have never known the forum and supporters, including myself like this discussing who should go where in the first team, just goes to show that Klopp doesn't know what he is doing at the moment.

How can you not know who your best players are after 2 years?

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Getting this thread on topic.

The Liverpool Echo ran a poll this morning asking who should start in goal v Huddersfield.

Ward 69%
    Mignolet 16%
    Karius 15%

Quote Originally Posted by LordJamieOfCarragher View Post

The Liverpool Echo ran a poll this morning asking who should start in goal v Huddersfield.

Ward 69%
    Mignolet 16%
    Karius 15%
    Very interesting. Do you have a direct line to the top? Maybe send it on?

Very interesting. Do you have a direct line to the top? Maybe send it on?

I still think Klopp will go with Karius on Saturday

I still think Klopp will go with Karius on Saturday
    God I hope not. I wonder will if Huddersfield angle play any part in his thinking, probably not.

God I hope not. I wonder will if Huddersfield angle play any part in his thinking, probably not.
    Why? It can't be worse than playing migs.

Why? It can't be worse than playing migs.
    I just really want to see Ward given a run. I reckon if he started him on Saturday, and he does well, there’s a half decent chance he could go on to make the spot his own.

Starting Karius is really just more of the same. At least Ward offers us the chance of being something different.

I just really want to see Ward given a run. I reckon if he started him on Saturday, and he does well, there’s a half decent chance he could go on to make the spot his own.

Starting Karius is really just more of the same. At least Ward offers us the chance of being something different.
    Maybe Ward will get his chance against Maribor and other 2 cl games.

To be fair to all our players......klopp hasn't got a clue.

Maybe Ward will get his chance against Maribor and other 2 cl games.
    Yeah, maybe so. I just wonder if Klopp might be reluctant to change the CL structure, we’ll see.

Another interesting aspect is if Migs is dropped for either of them, will he be on the bench?

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect

Ward 69%
    Mignolet 16%
    Karius 15%
    That doesn't make good reading for Karius, Jesus, imagine being voted lower than Migs after that display. If he does play I hope he doesn't see this poll, his confidence will be lower than Lovren's

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    I'm not going to lie, I've seen very little of Ward. Didn't see anything other than the odd highlight last year when he was with Huddersfield. I didn't see any of him in our reserves. So I can't really say I'd have him over Karius or Migs.

Everyone who is clamoring for Ward, is it because you've seen enough of him in games to want him to start? Is it on his reputation at Hudderfield? Or is it a 'anyone buy 'Migs/Karius' type of situation?

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    I'm not going to lie, I've seen very little of Ward. Didn't see anything other than the odd highlight last year when he was with Huddersfield. I didn't see any of him in our reserves. So I can't really say I'd have him over Karius or Migs.

Everyone who is clamoring for Ward, is it because you've seen enough of him in games to want him to start? Is it on his reputation at Hudderfield? Or is it a 'anyone buy 'Migs/Karius' type of situation?
    Ward had 2 good loans. Hes improved for sure. Hes a good all rounder gk. Catch a ball,kick a ball,throw a ball,run out of his box.good with ball at feet. Hes a very calm young man

I have seen enough of him to come to the conclusion that he looks solid, very assured in goal. He's one of those keepers that doesn't mess about.

We could have a very good keeper here, but he never gets the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    That doesn't make good reading for Karius, Jesus, imagine being voted lower than Migs after that display. If he does play I hope he doesn't see this poll, his confidence will be lower than Lovren's
    No, I expected Karius to be a lot closer to Ward.

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    No, I expected Karius to be a lot closer to Ward.
    we wont win anything with migs lovren and moreno in our team

lfcstlouis is online now Caution advised, may not be actual saint
    Quote Originally Posted by prayerforliverpool View Post
    Ward had 2 good loans. Hes improved for sure. Hes a good all rounder gk. Catch a ball,kick a ball,throw a ball,run out of his box.good with ball at feet. Hes a very calm young man
    Quote Originally Posted by +Shriekback+ View Post
    I have seen enough of him to come to the conclusion that he looks solid, very assured in goal. He's one of those keepers that doesn't mess about.

We could have a very good keeper here, but he never gets the chance.
    So very consistent and does what is asked? Not going to set the world on fire, but will be good for us?

I think we can use a bit of consistency at the moment. I'd be Ok with that.

Based on the usual around here I can pretty much guarantee you it's the latter.

So very consistent and does what is asked? Not going to set the world on fire, but will be good for us?

I think we can use a bit of consistency at the moment. I'd be Ok with that.
    Hes at the stage hes good enough to start. Given a proper run of games to see how he gets on. His main attribute compared to the other 2 is his calmness. He deserves at go

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Based on the usual around here I can pretty much guarantee you it's the latter.
    So you would keep Mignolet in goal?

If he is bombing Lovren out of the first team for Gomez why shouldn't he do the same with the GK?

I wonder why everyone is assuming that Migs will be dropped on Saturday. Is it beacuse of some newspaper rumours?

Quote Originally Posted by sgRED View Post
    I wonder why everyone is assuming that Migs will be dropped on Saturday. Is it beacuse of some newspaper rumours?
    I would like to see Ward in goal, but I don't believe Mignolet will be dropped.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Because he was *****.

I would like to see Ward in goal, but I don't believe Mignolet will be dropped.
    I believe Migs won't be dropped too and he will not come out for any crosses so that any goals against us is not his fault. 😪😤

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Because he was *****.
    We all know it. Even those playing against us know it BUT Klopp will still insist on playing him. 🙀

I did wonder the same actually.

There was just something about that 4th goal on Sunday that made me think he just has to be dropped now.

So you would keep Mignolet in goal?

If he is bombing Lovren out of the first team for Gomez why shouldn't he do the same with the GK?
    I don't know exactly what I'd do because I'm not at the training sessions seeing the players competing for the various spots. It's all good and well to say "couldn't be worse" but, in fact, no matter how much some might want to believe that the reality is yes, the players not in the side can well be worse than those playing. I'm not talking to the players every day and seeing where their heads are or what sort of minor niggles they may have. I'm not proxy to the specific instructions being given to and possibly disregarded by the players during the matches.

Based on what I've seen in actual matches the only reason to put Gomez in for Lovren is to give Lovren a match out of the firing line to straighten his head out, etc. but I don't know the person to know whether that's an action he'd respond well to or if he'd be better served going right back into the fray. It certainly wouldn't be because Gomez is performing any better than Lovren.

If I was in charge though, I'd be looking at what's changed since last season when we were stuffing the top sides like holiday turkeys and work back from there:

1) No Lallana-not much he can do about that one, injuries happen
    2) No Clyne-again, injuries happen, overall Gomez and TAA haven't been a train wreck but their defending is below what you'd expect from Clyne
    3) front line has been juggling every match and not found it's groove-injuries, suspensions, the Coutinho fiasco-not much he can do about them either
    4) Moreno in at LB instead of Milner-it may well be a bit harsh but you can look back over 3+ seasons worth of footage and easily see that Lovren + Moreno doesn't work defensively and never has no matter who is around them so I'd look at breaking that up some way or other. Then the question is how to do so that is best for the side as a whole which for me means the first attempt at fixing is to sit Moreno. Why? Because from what I've seen there's a much bigger problem quality-wise going from Lovren to Klavan/Gomez than Moreno to Robertson (even ignoring Milner as the Milner as FB days seem to pretty clearly have ended with him not even being dropped back in-game on Saturday instead of Can). It may be seen as "unfair" to Moreno to drop him because Lovren plays terribly beside him but the manager's job is to put the best side out there to win matches not necessarily the best player at each position.

As for the keeper situation? Nothing I've seen from any of them stands them out as being better than the others, Migs and Karius both have fundamental issues they need to improve on to be considered top class but the fact that the man on the scene daily still puts both of them ahead of Ward says to me that he likely has such as well but they haven't been exposed as much playing in lower leagues against lesser opposition.

I did wonder the same actually.

There was just something about that 4th goal on Sunday that made me think he just has to be dropped now.
    That 4th goal is his butter fingers trademark. However, from Klopp's post match comments, it doesn't sound like he will be dropped.