Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Keane's brutal assessment of Liverpool - 'I wouldn't watch them if they were playing in my back garden'

1. #1 Default Roy Keane's brutal assessment of Liverpool - 'I wouldn't watch them if they were playing in my back garden' 
    Roy Keane has delivered one of his brutal assessments of Liverpool’s trophy ambitions for this season, as he suggested he would not watch Jurgen Klopp’s side if they were playing in his own back garden.

Liverpool secured a 3-0 Champions League win against Maribor on Wednesday night, but Keane was scathing in his assessment of Klopp’s team as he suggested they were ‘several players short’ of competing for major honours.

“It’s hard to figure out Liverpool at the moment, it’s hard to get excited about them,” Keane told ITV Sport. “For me they are going nowhere fast and come the end of the season when the prizes are being handed out, Liverpool will be nowhere near.

“I think if they were playing in my back garden, I wouldn’t watch them. It’s a pretty big (garden), but let’s be honest they are going nowhere.

Keane suggested Liverpool will not be major contenders for the game’s top competitions until Klopp solves the defensive problems, as he suggested they needed several big money signings.

“At the back, there are question marks over the goalkeeper….the defenders. I don’t have too much to say about Liverpool,” he added.

“It is easier said than done getting defensive players in. The market is pretty small when it comes to top quality defenders. We saw Man City sign some full-backs costing £50m and maybe Liverpool aren’t at that level in terms of spending.

“They need more than one defensive signing. They won’t do it in January and they probably won’t do it next summer either as they failed to do it for this season.

“The big picture for Liverpool moving forward - they are way behind the other teams.”
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

So basically, he’s pointing out what every other pundit has been saying....... great stuff from Keane!!!..... haha

After 45 mins last night I wondered why I was watching LFC too. Cue the needless abuse...

Yes Roy, and your beloved United will? I'd much prefer to watch us than the turgid tripe United have dished out over recent weeks. Great player but o nob of a pundit and don't rate him as a person either.

Quote Originally Posted by Klopphopper View Post
    Yes Roy, and your beloved United will? I'd much prefer to watch us than the turgid tripe United have dished out over recent weeks. Great player but o nob of a pundit and don't rate him as a person either.
    he beloved utd win trophies the football may be chronic but he gets trophies whilst our football is chronic and we win absolutely nothing I know what I'd rather

As regards the first 45 minutes last night: Torrid. However you do need patience against these sides. The team appeared to have that: trying to probe and switch the play. The issue in this area is that we are still quite slow in changing our angle of attack. If you compare us when facing these teams to City, the Manchester club are creating chances and half chances. We do not seem to be able to make the final incisive stroke at the moment. It usually results in a cross or a shot being blocked, rebounding out toward the defenders, where we go again.

Unfortunately the solution to that is better players (not an option right now), and practice.

For me, against these teams we dont need to have a three man midfield. We should play 4231, and have the two midfielders primarily covering the fullbacks who give us width.

We also seem to lack players who can strike the ball sweetly from range. See Fernandinhos positioning and recent goals for City.

As for what Keane says about defenders: we already know this.

At the end of the day we didnt batter a team that came to defend. We still won 3-0 though. No one thinks that means we are CL Winners elect.

Quote Originally Posted by Can't defend View Post
    he beloved utd win trophies the football may be chronic but he gets trophies whilst our football is chronic and we win absolutely nothing I know what I'd rather
    Our football for most part under Klopp has been exciting and very watchable. To call it chronic is just ridiculous. We have had some bad days but as I keep saying we are a work in progress and Klopp will eventually win a title with us. It was never going to be an overnight success story given the low base he was given.

Yep winning three nil two games running is pretty poor and highlights the defensive frailties.

I think he’s right about this season if I’m honest, but not necessarily longer term.

Unless you regard top 4 ad a trophy, I think we’ll push for that

Why on earth would we be playing in Roy Keane's back garden?

If we were, you'd have to assume that he invited us to play there, what with it being his property. So then it seems a bit odd that having invited us, he can't even be bothered to watch.

Unless he's suggesting that we might break into his garden just to play football - again a bit odd, given we have our own facilities to train and play matches at.

If that was the case, then I suppose he'd be too busy calling the police to have time to watch us, so in that scenario he's probably right.

So what he's basically saying is that if Liverpool broke into his garden, he'd call the police rather than watch us play.

Ok Roy, thanks for that.

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by redeyes77 View Post
    So basically, he’s pointing out what every other pundit has been saying....... great stuff from Keane!!!..... haha
    Along with pinching a quote from a proper manager

@_ChrisBascombe
    Given how the ROI play, surprised there is any space in Roy’s garden with that massive glass house he lives in.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrren1 View Post

If we were, you'd have to assume that he invited us to play there, what with it being his property. So then it seems a bit odd that having invited us, he can't even be bothered to watch.

Unless he's suggesting that we might break into his garden just to play football - again a bit odd, given we have our own facilities to train and play matches at.

If that was the case, then I suppose he'd be too busy calling the police to have time to watch us, so in that scenario he's probably right.

So what he's basically saying is that if Liverpool broke into his garden, he'd call the police rather than watch us play.

Ok Roy, thanks for that.
    Love It!

There is also the scenario that he lives on the anfield road, and our pitch is his back garden, I could actually believe that as he could easilly cuddle up in a sleeping bag and be mistaken for a homeless person.

Snippes is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wednesday View Post
    As regards the first 45 minutes last night: Torrid. However you do need patience against these sides. The team appeared to have that: trying to probe and switch the play. The issue in this area is that we are still quite slow in changing our angle of attack. If you compare us when facing these teams to City, the Manchester club are creating chances and half chances. We do not seem to be able to make the final incisive stroke at the moment. It usually results in a cross or a shot being blocked, rebounding out toward the defenders, where we go again.

Unfortunately the solution to that is better players (not an option right now), and practice.

For me, against these teams we dont need to have a three man midfield. We should play 4231, and have the two midfielders primarily covering the fullbacks who give us width.

We also seem to lack players who can strike the ball sweetly from range. See Fernandinhos positioning and recent goals for City.

As for what Keane says about defenders: we already know this.

At the end of the day we didnt batter a team that came to defend. We still won 3-0 though. No one thinks that means we are CL Winners elect.
    Totally fair assessment.

You gotta love these geniuses who are whining about our lack of ruthlessness going forward these days while totally ignoring the fact that bit once this season have we been able to have 3 of our best players in slicing and dicing teams, namely Mane, Coutinho, Lallana.

Show me any team including City who if you took 3 of their 4 most important players, wouldn't suffer going forward. If/when we get all our guys back and 3 months later you're still watching the same turgid eye sore crap, I will bow down to that wisdom. But am willing to bet my salary that wot happen....the opposite actually.

But for a **** manc to chastise anyone's brand of football is maybe the most hilarious of it all.

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Klopp entire mentality is to play break neck aggressive football. I wouldn't worry about the style of play. 'Heavy Metal Football' is in his DNA. The only question is, can he keep the goals out at other end?

Roy Keene should stop plagiarising Bill Shankly and invent his own phrases.

herbeer is online now Knows who has the Ranfurly Shield
    “Roy Keane makes .....comment shocker”
    Last edited by Jannno; 2-11-17 at 10:40.

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnamiri View Post
    Roy Keene should stop plagiarising Bill Shankly and invent his own phrases.
    Indeed

Bill said this about Everton all of 60 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Darrren1 View Post

Ok Roy, thanks for that.
    Eleven grown men watering and fertilizing his plants. That's how I picture it.

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    He forgot the bit about closing the curtains.

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    Eleven grown men watering and fertilizing his plants. That's how I picture it.
    A little something for the roses.

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    @_ChrisBascombe
    Given how the ROI play, surprised there is any space in Roy’s garden with that massive glass house he lives in.
    Best reply

Quote Originally Posted by Klopphopper View Post
    As a player and person I’d rate him highly. He’s the only one to call ferguson out what he is and for that he has my total admiration.
    As for his comments last night; its only his opinion. I dont like his tone of expression but ******* him and, lets be honest; we’ve read similar ill dressed remarks on here by so called supporters!

Next week, Roy Keane: "I want to turn my back garden into a bastion of invincibility"

Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    As a player and person I’d rate him highly. He’s the only one to call ferguson out what he is and for that he has my total admiration.
    As for his comments last night; its only his opinion. I dont like his tone of expression but ******* him and, lets be honest; we’ve read similar ill dressed remarks on here by so called supporters!
    Haha. True mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-El View Post
    After 45 mins last night I wondered why I was watching LFC too. Cue the needless abuse...
    I hope you don’t take this as abuse, but if you purport to be a fan why wouldn’t you watch?

I saw some of your comments yesterday and whilst you’re always quite ‘extreme’ yesterday I thought you were way off.

It was a struggle in the first half, but teams come here to spoil, frustrate and deny us time and space. Results elsewhere in the competition showed that winning these games is not a given.

Any team would struggle without the quality we are missing and when you are the only team intent on winning it becomes even harder.

I don’t expect you to take any of that on board though.

Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    I doubt anyone will really pay too much attention to what he’s said here tbh. If he’s struggling to watch us how must he feel about watching United at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Can't defend View Post
    I would rarther watch us than boring united and they will win nothing this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarnes79 View Post
    I hope you don’t take this as abuse, but if you purport to be a fan why wouldn’t you watch?

I saw some of your comments yesterday and whilst you’re always quite ‘extreme’ yesterday I thought you were way off.

It was a struggle in the first half, but teams come here to spoil, frustrate and deny us time and space. Results elsewhere in the competition showed that winning these games is not a given.

Any team would struggle without the quality we are missing and when you are the only team intent on winning it becomes even harder.

I don’t expect you to take any of that on board though.
    I really wouldn't bother JB, trolling pointlessly this one, seems to spend most his time on threads trying to be emotive saying 'how boring' things are...which in itself is incredibly boring

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    How is it brutal? Sami Hyppia said the same things.
    ?