Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Roy Keane's brutal assessment of Liverpool - 'I wouldn't watch them if they were playing in my back garden'

Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Roy is one angry little bunny.

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    Roy is one angry little bunny.
    the thing is he has this self created persona he has to live up to; he was the same as a footballer and as a manager - you can see he doesn;t want to be some confirmist eulogising pundit but at the same time every comment has a 'but' at the end of it, too be fair he's like it with a lot of teams
    dont look back in anger.

Quote Originally Posted by AidoC View Post
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-36386573.html

Roy Keane was far from impressed by Liverpool's thumping 7-0 win against Spartak Moscow in the Champions League on Wednesday night, as he suggested Jurgen Klopp's side have 'beaten no-one' despite a fine run of form in recent weeks.
    Former Manchester United captain Keane has been scathing in his assessment of Liverpool's hopes of challenging for major trophies this season, with his comments last month suggesting he 'wouldn't watch Liverpool if they were playing in my back garden' generating plenty of debate.
    He continued that dismissive tone as he reflected on Liverpool's thumping win against Spartak Moscow that paved the way for their progress to the knock-out stages of the Champions League as Group E winners.

"Clearly they’re beating these so-called lesser teams, and the same in the Premier League, but they’ve beaten nobody yet, domestically and in Europe yet," said Keane in his role as an ITV pundit.
    "The big tests are yet to come for Liverpool. They are certainly in great form at the moment, but the bigger teams are still to come.

"Going forward it's lovely to watch when they play well, but they wouldn't get that time and space against the decent teams, it's as simple as that. Give quality players time on the ball and they will punish you, but they won't get that time and space against quality teams."
    Liverpool have scored 43 goals in their last 11 games in all competitions, but Keane believes their defensive weakness will be exposed in the latter stage of the Champions League.

"It was a lovely night for Liverpool and you can only beat what is in front of you, but take a step back and you realise there are so many bigger tests in front of them," added Keane."Against the bigger teams, they will be tested at the back."
    Liverpool boss Klopp offered a very different view of the victory against Spartak Moscow, as he dismissed the suggestion that it was an comfortable win for his team.

"No, it was not easy. It was not easy," he said. "With my assistants, I was sitting outside when it was 6-0 and we were looking at each other and thought, ‘wow, how did that happen?’
    "I didn’t see a lot of teams losing 7-0, but even when it was 3-0, 4-0 and 5-0 they still played football, they still had their moments, they still had scoring situations somehow. We had to play exactly the level we played tonight to beat them and then because of the development of the game it was a high result.

"Antonio Conte (Chelsea manager) said it yesterday, there are no easy opponents in it. I don’t think anybody is happy when they get us when they get us in the draw, so we will not be happy in the moment when we see who we will face in the next round, but we will be ready – that’s for sure."
    I really dont think that he has said an awful lot wrong. I think that if we’re honest with ourselves we must accept a lot of what he has said.
    I didn’t watch the his coverage but i think the way that it is reported, is doing its upmost to create controversy and what Keane has said here is not very controversial.
    What a lot of pundits fail to consider is where an individual Club is in current progression and instead the measure most against the top seed Clubs. I think we’ve done exceptionally well since Spurs and we have shown progression in a number of areas. It is these subtleties that pundits dont consider before blurting out the old clichés albeit, factual ones. That is where Keane lets himself down as a pundit.

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    I really dont think that he has said an awful lot wrong. I think that if we’re honest with ourselves we must accept a lot of what he has said.
    I didn’t watch the his coverage but i think the way that it is reported, is doing its upmost to create controversy and what Keane has said here is not very controversial.
    What a lot of pundits fail to consider is where an individual Club is in current progression and instead the measure most against the top seed Clubs. I think we’ve done exceptionally well since Spurs and we have shown progression in a number of areas. It is these subtleties that pundits dont consider before blurting out the old clichés albeit, factual ones. That is where Keane lets himself down as a pundit.
    I don't either its the sneering snidey Manc persona that none of the other pundits have however in all honesty off the back of qualification to the last 16 for the first time in 9 years as top scorers ever off the back of a 7-0 win Roys comments measured this much on my give a****ometer.. >>> "."
    dont look back in anger.

Don't waste a thread on him, obvious example of someone who has headed too many footballs.

LivapewlDivas is online now Academy prospect
    Beating the lesser teams, that's a factual compliment.

Been a while since we could say that, thanks Roy

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    the thing is he has this self created persona he has to live up to; he was the same as a footballer and as a manager - you can see he doesn;t want to be some confirmist eulogising pundit but at the same time every comment has a 'but' at the end of it, too be fair he's like it with a lot of teams
    Souness is often the same. Deliberately playing the contrarian.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Souness is often the same. Deliberately playing the contrarian.
    Think you spelled the last word wrong, should be a "u" near the beginning.

I find Frank Lampard is a great reviewer on BT Sports. Doesn’t seem biased and very constructive.

This bloke steals a living now. They only get him on these programs to hear him spout **** like this. He was an Ok midfielder but after that he was a terrible manager and an even worse pundit.

Mersey Dudek is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    I find Frank Lampard is a great reviewer on BT Sports. Doesn’t seem biased and very constructive.
    Yeah he speaks well.

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    Yeah i like him too. Disliked him as a player though but he speaks well which was a surprise when I first saw him do the whole punditry stuff.
    ?

FistofRage is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mersey Dudek View Post
    Yeah he speaks well.
    in between mouthfuls of mars bars.

FistofRage is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JurgerMeister View Post
    This bloke steals a living now. They only get him on these programs to hear him spout **** like this. He was an Ok midfielder but after that he was a terrible manager and an even worse pundit.
    but what a fine manly beard he sports

Snippes is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    No, Keane let's himself down as a pundit when he goes out if his way to say he wouldn't watch Liverpool play in his back yard, or garden or whatever. Why would anyone say that? It's not like we are a Pulis team or Wimbledon of old. So he backs himself into a corner by first saying that when it's easy to say especially after the 3-3 game, then has to keep digging himself into the ground even when we win 7-0 by saying it's no big deal we did it against a crap team. The same crap team that destroyed Sevilla who everyone made a big deal out if coming back from a 0-3 deficit.

I get all pundits have their favored teams and teams they don't like. But if you can't keep your abject biases to the side when doing the job, younhave no business being a pundit. And frankly, I find this - am a manc, therefore I must hate all things Liverpool even on television, so childish. Dude is an old man now, grow up. Rio Ferdinand's a manic through and through but when I've seen comment recently, he at least tries to speak sense and fairly. Made some really nice comments about Bobby Firmino the other day. It's why we have pundits, to give us honest insight as former great players, not use the platform to act out their childish biases.

I blame the idiots who give him that platform. Offers absolutely nothing.

TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Phwooar, he's brutal. What a savage. Unbelievable stuff.

He's not a very insightful pundit at the best of times, he's on there to play the role of grumpy bully and he does it well, the Simon Cowell role.

It was funny a couple of years ago when Southgate was getting contradicted on every point he tried to make, afraid to respond to big bad Roy, but now Lee Dixon just laughs at his pantomime act.

Quote Originally Posted by Snippes View Post
    No, Keane let's himself down as a pundit when he goes out if his way to say he wouldn't watch Liverpool play in his back yard, or garden or whatever. Why would anyone say that? It's not like we are a Pulis team or Wimbledon of old. So he backs himself into a corner by first saying that when it's easy to say especially after the 3-3 game, then has to keep digging himself into the ground even when we win 7-0 by saying it's no big deal we did it against a crap team. The same crap team that destroyed Sevilla who everyone made a big deal out if coming back from a 0-3 deficit.

I get all pundits have their favored teams and teams they don't like. But if you can't keep your abject biases to the side when doing the job, younhave no business being a pundit. And frankly, I find this - am a manc, therefore I must hate all things Liverpool even on television, so childish. Dude is an old man now, grow up. Rio Ferdinand's a manic through and through but when I've seen comment recently, he at least tries to speak sense and fairly. Made some really nice comments about Bobby Firmino the other day. It's why we have pundits, to give us honest insight as former great players, not use the platform to act out their childish biases.

I blame the idiots who give him that platform. Offers absolutely nothing.
    I agree that he put himself in a corner with the ‘back garden’ remarks but I put that down a tongue in cheek moment. Your other comments about his punditry and which is applicable to most of them is pretty much correct. But I dont really think that he did say an awful lot wrong in the aftermath of the Moscow game. Anyway, I admire Keane as having been a superb football player and mostly for having the balls to call ferguson for what he is while others bow and genuflect around him. But maybe my defense of him is a little too partisan.