Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: England squad for Germany and Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    get that. but what happens once the world cup or whatever comes around, revert back to the same old tired faces that have failed continually. we really should be using the qualifying stages as the learning curve to bring a young new team into existence beginning with the european qualifiers.

tbh not sure southgate is the right guy, still looks to be the boro manager in how he sets up.
    I get that but there are going to be four outcomes to the youngsters being given a chance.

Option 1
    The youngster doesn't make the grade either as a not yet or no he will likely always fall short when compared to his peers.

Option 2
    The youngster proves himself but falls short of becoming first choice however lights a fire under the current players that if they don't perform at the top of their game they may get replaced by someone else.

Option 3
    The youngster proves he is ready now to replace one of the senior members as he will represent an improvement over the current individual.

Option 4
    The manager believes the youngster is better suited to the system he is trying to use so whilst there are better players individually, they are not being picked due to either the whole is better or the youngster is the best option for the something different.

E.g. would England nave been better if only Gerrard or Leopard was in the first eleven especially when Gerrard was being asked to play left. Idfield.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by KoppityKloppity View Post
    Possibly the worst England squad I have witnessed.
    I like it

KoppityKloppity is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by redhoops View Post
    I like it
    Too many very average players in there for me. Keepers, central defence and central midfield are really average and apart from Kane the strikers are pretty underwhelming too.

Too many very average players in there for me. Keepers, central defence and central midfield are really average and apart from Kane the strikers are pretty underwhelming too.
    No. It's a wonderful collection of players . Go Gareth go

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    I get that but there are going to be four outcomes to the youngsters being given a chance.

Option 1
    The youngster doesn't make the grade either as a not yet or no he will likely always fall short when compared to his peers.

Option 2
    The youngster proves himself but falls short of becoming first choice however lights a fire under the current players that if they don't perform at the top of their game they may get replaced by someone else.

Option 3
    The youngster proves he is ready now to replace one of the senior members as he will represent an improvement over the current individual.

Option 4
    The manager believes the youngster is better suited to the system he is trying to use so whilst there are better players individually, they are not being picked due to either the whole is better or the youngster is the best option for the something different.

E.g. would England nave been better if only Gerrard or Leopard was in the first eleven especially when Gerrard was being asked to play left. Idfield.
    i agree there well could be hiccups, its only natural with young players and expecting them to "make the grade" within a game or two is a bit silly really. but wouldn't you say its worth writing off a 2 year qualification period to set up a team/system for the next two world cups rather than getting there and getting dumped soon as we meet a decent team as happens now.

obviously you keep some of the older players for back up, but we already know that kids don't settle down or really start to improve until about 23 onwards. ie: use stones instead of cahill. sure he will make mistakes, but so will cahill. imo stones is better for a forward thinking defence than cahill who is better suited to one that sits back. this can be done throughout the squad.

as for the gerrard/lamps debate, only one should ever have been on the pitch at one time. trying to force them in together never worked and unbalanced the team.

well while we set up as we do then most times kane is not much of a threat. too many act as individuals and not part of a team. southgate has to sort it out otherwise i think he will be out the door after next summers world cup. (depending on our group ofc)

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    i agree there well could be hiccups, its only natural with young players and expecting them to "make the grade" within a game or two is a bit silly really. but wouldn't you say its worth writing off a 2 year qualification period to set up a team/system for the next two world cups rather than getting there and getting dumped soon as we meet a decent team as happens now.

obviously you keep some of the older players for back up, but we already know that kids don't settle down or really start to improve until about 23 onwards. ie: use stones instead of cahill. sure he will make mistakes, but so will cahill. imo stones is better for a forward thinking defence than cahill who is better suited to one that sits back. this can be done throughout the squad.

as for the gerrard/lamps debate, only one should ever have been on the pitch at one time. trying to force them in together never worked and unbalanced the team.
    There may be another option because as a top 10 European nation, we have consistently gained qualification by being the strongest team.

There is always the European Nations league where England are in the top division as their coefficient is in the top 12.

England will be placed in a group of 3 with three possibilities.
    Win the group and go forward to play in the finals that has a one n four chance of being in England.
    Come second with no benefit/consequence
    Come third and drop down into the second tier.

Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    There may be another option because as a top 10 European nation, we have consistently gained qualification by being the strongest team.

There is always the European Nations league where England are in the top division as their coefficient is in the top 12.

England will be placed in a group of 3 with three possibilities.
    Win the group and go forward to play in the finals that has a one n four chance of being in England.
    Come second with no benefit/consequence
    Come third and drop down into the second tier.
    which tbh doesn't improve us in any way at all. just keeps the status quo of being bullies against minnows.

the world cup should be THE trophy every nation wants to try and win, so that gives a nation four years to mold a team, more than enough time. currently its so easy to use the "we have to qualify" as an excuse linked with its a results business.

why not take away the fear and change the paradigm - make a team good enough to win the world cup, rather than one to just get there.

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    England squad substantially weakened with Jordan Henderson's withdrawal today.

Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is offline Ask him if the match is on TV
    Quote Originally Posted by LordJamieOfCarragher View Post
    Reported for attempting to get AngriestRed to troll.
    YNWA

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro-77-78-81-84-05 View Post
    dont look back in anger.

onward of this pace, England team will line up their the coach assistants, keepers training coach and physios!!!

really don't know how they will be able to cope with German and Brazil threats,

already I figure out seeing Joe Hart gathering the ball in the back of the net three four times for each of next two friendly games!
    Last edited by rosso76; 8-11-17 at 00:47.

Nevermind friendlies. We havent beaten a top 8 side in a competitive match since Argentina at the WC of 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    Nevermind friendlies. We havent beaten a top 8 side in a competitive match since Argentina at the WC of 2002.
    further reason to believe that next two games will end up both with a England hammering, being those friendlies or not,
    Last edited by rosso76; 8-11-17 at 00:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Euro-77-78-81-84-05 View Post
    I’m actually in agreement with the decision to pull him only because the holiday period will be here before we know it and we need as many bodies on deck as possible

JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect
    Solanke's had a last-minute call-up to the senior squad for Brazil next week.

Tammy Abraham, Jordan Pickford and Ruben Loftus-Cheek are all starting against Germany too.

Blooding youngsters on the few occasions we actually get to play decent opposition doesn't make sense to me but hey ho.

Caps handed out like confetti now. Jack Cork, my god.
    Still with just 35% of the PL to choose from its no surprise. Spain and Germany have 70% of their PLs to pick from.

I'm interested to see how Loftus-Cheek gets on. Whenever I've watched the U21's in the past couple of years, he's been a level above most of the players on pitch. He and Dier will form quite powerful and big CM partnership.

With Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Loftus-Cheek, Winks and Chalobah, it looks like we have some decent options in midfield going forward. They will all be playing regular first team football also, some/most of them at the highest level (Champions League), too.

over the moon for Dom Solanke England call up,

it's surely a massive reward for a young boy who so well did over the last summer either with the U20 England team or our senior team establishment during the pre-

season, I'm a big fan of him, I do have a soft spot for this "kid of Reading",

I wish him all the best for the future, and hopefully he'll be involved at least for a brief spell in next Tuesday night Wembley run out against Brazil,

I'm sure he'll set the World alight sooner rather than later,

this boy has so much talent in his locker!

Can only see a Brazil win by 3

Quote Originally Posted by Eddes View Post
    Can only see a Brazil win by 3
    can only see a draw with a couple of goals each tomorrow night,

Quote Originally Posted by rosso76 View Post
    over the moon for Dom Solanke England call up,

it's surely a massive reward for a young boy who so well did over the last summer either with the U20 England team or our senior team establishment during the pre-

season, I'm a big fan of him, I do have a soft spot for this "kid of Reading",

I wish him all the best for the future, and hopefully he'll be involved at least for a brief spell in next Tuesday night Wembley run out against Brazil,

I'm sure he'll set the World alight sooner rather than later,

this boy has so much talent in his locker!

Looks like he may get some game time tonight

I hope so

Klopp should take note - the lad has 'Plan B' written all over him

Gomez to start apparently, presumably directly up against whoever will play on the left side of the Brazilian attack...

I actually think Southgate's done the right thing with this squad. There's no point taking players who have already proved they're simply never going to be good enough to shine at a major tournament - we should take the best starting XI we can muster and pad out the squad with kids who might at least learn from the experience and go into it with a positive nothing to lose attitude.

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wavdeep View Post
    Gomez to start apparently, presumably directly up against whoever will play on the left side of the Brazilian attack...
    Could be Coutinho

Quote Originally Posted by wavdeep View Post

I actually think Southgate's done the right thing with this squad. There's no point taking players who have already proved they're simply never going to be good enough to shine at a major tournament - we should take the best starting XI we can muster and pad out the squad with kids who might at least learn from the experience and go into it with a positive nothing to lose attitude.
    I imagine that Gomez will play on the right of a back three, with Walker at RWB.

He'll still be in close proximity to Neymar though.

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    At least Brazil will have a strong line up, going to be a secret Brazil fan tonight even though I'm sitting in the home stands. 3-0 Brazil!!!! Hopefully our two don't disappoint.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiedle View Post
    At least Brazil will have a strong line up, going to be a secret Brazil fan tonight even though I'm sitting in the home stands. 3-0 Brazil!!!! Hopefully our two don't disappoint.
    I hope any our LFC lad involved in tonight contest won't disappoint, not only those brazilians, mate!!

JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by rosso76 View Post
    I hope any our LFC lad involved in tonight contest won't disappoint, not only those brazilians, mate!!
    Our boys were excellent, made up for them.

Have to hand it to Loftus-Cheek too, I was dubious in the OP about his inclusion but he didn't look out of place in either game. Better than Jake ******* Livermore at any rate.

Could be Coutinho
    Turned our to be Neymar...

Quote Originally Posted by JurgenBelieveUs View Post
    Our boys were excellent, made up for them.

Have to hand it to Loftus-Cheek too, I was dubious in the OP about his inclusion but he didn't look out of place in either game. Better than Jake ******* Livermore at any rate.
    Livermore was crap, Eric Dier too, Loftus Cheeks just decent until he was of the game,

England had clear midfield issues tonight, they couldn't simply reorganize a counter attack, bar in some sporadical occasion, over the second period,

the three lions offensive manouver lit up with Dom Solanke entry, in the last twenty minutes we could praise something better at the top end of the field,

though the England team were going to lose the distances between each department, and Brazil were a better threat in the half spaces England were conceding,

the best moment for England matched the one when Brazil were closer to take the lead in a couple of circumstances over the second half,

Mr Southgate should improve the quality of his midfield personnel and find the right balance among the three units,

but I'm sure the return of several absentees sidelined because of injury will make the case for England,

confident about that,