Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Emre Can set to leave for free in summer (Dominic King)

I think this has always been on the cards.

I like Can, although I have no idea what his best position is, but he can be very sloppy.

I hope this prompts Klopp to go out and get a #6 and add a bit more balance and variety to our midfield options. Midfield needs to be reshaped.

Losing him on a free is irritating, but then again we got top dollar for Sterling and will get an over-inflated price for Coutinho as well. Generally we have sold well in the last 2-3 seasons. It is about how we replace these guys.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Not bothered at all about losing Emre Can, not even with it being a free either. It means we’ll be forced to sign a midfielder, which for me is a good thing.

If there is one thing that grates on me about it though. It’s that a player like Emre Can, as average as he is, wants to leave Liverpool, for free, and thinks he can (and he may) go to what he believes is a bigger club.

Which is where we’re at right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyCushionedHeader View Post
    There is control, transfer windows. Similarly, contracts only expire in July majority of the time.

Why if we gave Emre Can a release clause would we suddenly have half the squad asking for one? And if they have a while to run on their contracts then **** them.

If we got into a situation where 4 or 5 key players all went into a summer with tiny release clauses we’ve majorly ********** up, but that’s not realistic is it?
    Tiny is a relative term.
    Also you are mistaking that the negotiation is to have a release clause or not which in reality is just a literal statement. The more relevant thing is the figure associated with it.
    I am sure that if Can was happy with release clause of 200 million then we would have signed him much before. I think Can has an idea of some other figure which is reasonable for his potentials suitors like 40-60 million and its not acceptable for us.

What Can's situation means is that Players want to dictate their release clauses figures which no club will do on the player's terms

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoBaggio94 View Post
    Not bothered at all about losing Emre Can, not even with it being a free either. It means we’ll be forced to sign a midfielder, which for me is a good thing.

If there is one thing that grates on me about it though. It’s that a player like Emre Can, as average as he is, wants to leave Liverpool, for free, and thinks he can (and he may) go to what he believes is a bigger club.

I'm not sure it forces us to do anything. Keita replaces Can and that's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    I'm not sure it forces us to do anything. Keita replaces Can and that's that.
    That was my first initial thought too.

But I decided to imagine us doing something more than the bare minimum for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoBaggio94 View Post

I know it's speculative, but I do think Emre is moving on for sporting, rather than monetary reasons.

I believe that Emre may not be completely on board with Jurgen's style of play, and perhaps he (and his advisors) believe that he can progress further at a club that will boost/develop his best attributes. To go even further, perhaps Emre believes that English football is not his bag too? It's possible.

Emre has said in the past that he prefers to play as a defensive midfielder, but during his time at our club, he has not nailed down this position in the team. He's almost turned into a utility player, of sorts.

would have liked to have got some money back on him to fund other players. with keita coming in , i don't think he will be that much of a loss to be honest but i'd rather have can than gini and hendo
    Eagle Face Moron

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieT View Post
    Meh.

It is kind of good in a way as he's a jack of all trades and master of none. We already have two of those in Hendo and Wij.

In additional to Keita, I want us to get a holding mid that is;

• A big mobile unit who has power in his game
    • Can screen the back 4
    • Is good in the air would be a bonus
    • Is good on the ball with simple passing

that person can play with Keita with a Cout or lallana or someone else in a three. We need to use this opportunity to buy well
    Fabinho at Monaco fits that criteria

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post
    Fabinho at Monaco fits that criteria
    ---------------Fabinho----------Keita

Salah------------------Firmino----------------Mane

------------------------Werner

Good luck Emre...Thanks for that overhead free kick at Watford.
    My ship is coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    ---------------Fabinho----------Keita

Salah------------------Firmino----------------Mane

------------------------Werner
    Substitute Leon Goretzka for Fabinho and you are cooking with gas
    My ship is coming in.

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Bye then,hope it keeps fine for you and all that jazz.

So are we going to bring in some power and strength then to replace him? This squad is one of the physically weakest in the league with Emre being one of the few with any actual legit aggression/physicality?

Cya.

If Can produced his best form consistently, I'd be mortified at this contract impasse, but like all of our CMs he simply doesn't.

Personally I think Grujic could do Emre's job very soon, if not now. Physical presence, technically good, and a decent striker of the ball. Oh and he's quicker over the ground too. Yes he's still a rough diamond, but he could easily get to Emre's level with game time. Maybe higher. And despite what Klopp says publicly, I don't think he rates Emre as a 'must keep at all costs' player. He's doing his usual PR piece, nothing more.

The club's apparent refusal to agree a lower release clause does seem odd, given it guarantees at least some return on the player. Very unlike FSG to turn their noses up at a profit. Anyways, I think Emre made his mind up some time ago.

I'd like to get Keita in in January and just sit Can in the reserves for the rest of the season.

Really not bothered, he's a little bit better than when he arrived, which considering his age is not a good thing.

No great loss and we need a more composed controlled player in there anyway who can move the ball around with some intent

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Really not bothered, he's a little bit better than when he arrived, which considering his age is not a good thing.

No great loss and we need a more composed controlled player in there anyway who can move the ball around with some intent
    I'd quite like a player who doesn't take six touches to do what he could do in two.

Every one seems to be missing the point here. The disagreement is not about the release clause but what he wants to be paid. Suggestions are £165,000 p.w. Would you pay Can that? because if the answer is yes then we might be stuck with him as other clubs could might well say 'not at that price'. So the 'money back' release clause would not be that important.

The trouble is if we lose Can along with Coutinho we are two regular first team players down when we desperately need to be adding quality to the squad.

I don't see the problem with a release clause as long as it is for an agreeable value. Lets face it, it's not as if he is a world beater is he?

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    I'd quite like a player who doesn't take six touches to do what he could do in two.
    Yep. Klopp seemed to coach that out of Lallana and it made him a more effective player, whereas Emre still 'loves the ball' to the point of practically dry-humping the damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Centre View Post
    Yep. Klopp seemed to coach that out of Lallana and it made him a more effective player, whereas Emre still 'loves the ball' to the point of practically dry-humping the damn thing.
    Lallana is a far smarter and better player than Can.

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by KoalaToure View Post
    He's technically 7 levels above Can.

Frustrated were not getting money for him.

It looks like he can only perform 3 or so months of the season though. Very inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    He's technically 7 levels above Can.
    And doesn't wear horse shoes

Quote Originally Posted by KoalaToure View Post
    That is indeed the inference.

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    I'd like to get Keita in in January and just sit Can in the reserves for the rest of the season.
    That's just being uber vindictive and will serve no purpose.
    Have you considered how the dressing room would feel?
    My ship is coming in.

We need him until the summer. Not too arsed he wants to leave.. will not make a big difference to us.

Keita comes next summer and we have plenty of time to find an upgrade on Can before he is gone.

Mersey Dudek is online now Academy prospect
    **** sake. Bit of a kick in the balls that from Can. Not hugely bothered as long as our midfield replacements are quality. We've got one but we need more.

perfect.

Liverpool may look to Schalke's Leon Goretzka as replacement for Emre Can

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog/...t-for-emre-can
    Last edited by youwannabe; 3-11-17 at 11:16.
    My ship is coming in.