Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emre Can set to leave for free in summer (Dominic King)

1. #1 Default Emre Can set to leave for free in summer (Dominic King) 
    Emre Can is almost certain to leave Liverpool next summer with talks over a new deal having reached deadlock.

Liverpool first approached the Germany international, who scored the second goal in Wednesday's 3-0 win over Maribor, about signing a new contract in June 2016 but for all the discussions that have taken place it has reached the point where there appears to be no solution.

Can has gone on record on several occasions this year to say the impasse has nothing to do with him wanting to squeeze more money out of Liverpool.

Sportsmail reported in September that the stand-off was down to the 23-year-old wanting a release clause in the terms.

That is something to which Liverpool have refused to agree; they never put such a clause in Philippe Coutinho's deal when he re-signed last January and will not make any special dispensation in this case for Can.

It means, though, that Can will be able to start negotiating with clubs on the continent in 58 days about signing a pre-contract.

The biggest concern for Liverpool, however, is that they are now likely to lose a multi-million asset next summer without recouping a penny.

Juventus have been persistently linked with Can, whom Liverpool signed from Bayer Leverkusen in June 2014, while Bayern Munich have also been watching the situation of a player who came through their Academy system.

Jurgen Klopp regards Can as an important member of his squad and he was fully-prepared to let him go into this season and depart on Bosman, rather than trying to recoup some finance last summer and selling him with 12 months to go.

For the moment, Can's priority is helping Liverpool reach the knockout stages of the Champions League and hopes they will make sure of their place on Matchday five in Sevilla before Spartak Moscow arrive at Anfield in December.

'We are in a very good position,' said Can. 'But we have two tough games and we want to try and win them to be in the Champions League next year.'

Georginio Wijnaldum, meanwhile, is hopeful that the ankle issue that forced him off after 17 minutes against Maribor is not as serious as first anticipated

While it is unlikely he will play against West Ham on Saturday, he is not on crutches and is awaiting results of a scan.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ee-summer.html

Can't say I'm arsed.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by PHIL. View Post
    Me neither. Not pleased we're getting nowt for him, but I don't think we'll miss him in the team.

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by PHIL. View Post
    Financially I am arsed

On the playing side hes come on these last 2 seasons but sits slightly below top quality and so I doubt as Keita comes in well miss him that much.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    Me neither. Not pleased we're getting nowt for him, but I don't think we'll miss him in the team.
    Yeah, that's it. He's been largely pants since he's been here.

It's disappointing for sure, but obviously not the end of the world.
    Keita is an immediate improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Financially I am arsed

On the playing side he’s come on these last 2 seasons but sits slightly below top quality and so I doubt as Keita comes in we’ll miss him that much.
    I think it calls for another top signing in midfield and I hope it whips the club into gear on that front.

I think it calls for another top signing in midfield and I hope it whips the club into gear on that front.
    Yep, that's what I'm hoping too.

JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect
    Cheerio lad.

That is plain dumb and i dont buy it. For a start any sane finance person would say hmm let's just put the release clause in.

Mascherano is available for a free in the summer. Ok hes getting on a bit but him going back to midfield and sitting in front of our defence would not be a bad shout (if he wanted to come back)

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    Even if I never believes Can isnt consistent enough, etc., the clubs position on this is idiotic.

First, were generally hopeless at replacing players.

Second, a release clause means wed at least get some money. Now he leaves for zilch.

Clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Defo-skitso View Post
    That is plain dumb and i dont buy it. For a start any sane finance person would say hmm let's just put the release clause in.
    Its the principle though isnt it. A release clause for Coutinho would have meant we would have lost him this summer for way less than 100m as any clause would have been before the Neymar matket hike

Quote Originally Posted by NY Mike View Post
    Even if I never believes Can isnt consistent enough, etc., the clubs position on this is idiotic.

First, were generally hopeless at replacing players.

Second, a release clause means wed at least get some money. Now he leaves for zilch.

Clueless.
    Exactly that's what I just said. I don't buy it's to do with the release clause.

We want a 50m release clause - no
    We do - no
    Listen we do - no
    Ok we'll go for free then - No we don't want people to pay just 50m.

Errr.....

Quote Originally Posted by hj77 View Post
    Its the principle though isnt it. A release clause for Coutinho would have meant we would have lost him this summer for way less than 100m as any clause would have been before the Neymar matket hike
    The principle of not doing it so you get nothing instead of the release clause amount? I don't see any principle in that.

KoppityKloppity is online now Academy prospect
    Depends what the release clause is, more to it financially than just that I reckon. What does Can get for signing a new deal? any guaranteed money, signing fees, bonuses etc.? he could get these and in theory still leave next summer if a team meets the release clause, any ideas how much this is supposed clause is?
    Then theres agents fees, agent might just be after a big deal for himself knowing Juventus still will come in and meet the release clause getting him another big pay day.

And hopefully this happens in January.

Quote Originally Posted by KoppityKloppity View Post
    Depends what the release clause is, more to it financially than just that I reckon. What does Can get for signing a new deal? any guaranteed money, signing fees, bonuses etc.? he could get these and in theory still leave next summer if a team meets the release clause, any ideas how much these supposed clause is?
    Then theres agents fees, agent might just be after a big deal for himself knowing Juventus still will come in and meet the release clause getting him another big pay day.
    I suspect it's around 50 but even if it was 30 it's better than 0.

Quote Originally Posted by alicious View Post
    And hopefully this happens in January.
    Yep. We have to act fast and show real ambition now.

I suspect it's around 50 but even if it was 30 it's better than 0.

I really think there is more to it then the release clause, maybe its just not as simple as we think. Might be, but I doubt we would just take a 30-50 million hit on this.

Yep. We have to act fast and show real ambition now.
    I have a feeling Keita will be considered his replacement and we'll still have Henderson in there with him.

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    I do like Emre Can but lets be honest - he can be improved on and replaced quite easily.

We may have Naby Keita in the bag but I'd love for us to land Leon Goretzka on a free or Adrien Rabiot who is said to be considering his options.

I don't understand why they don't try to get some money out of it by signing some sort of contract.

What is the downside? That others will demand a clause?

Has this every happened before, that a player who seems happy at a club refuses to sign some form of contract?

The principle of not doing it so you get nothing instead of the release clause amount? I don't see any principle in that.
    No Im not saying I agree with it, but I understand it.

The owners seemingly dont want any players to have these clauses. I can see why. Yes you might get a player like Can running down his contract, but the likelihood of most of our players doing that is probably low.

Imagine if Coutinho had a clause. Pre this summer I guess it would have been around the 70m mark tops. This summer Barca could have taken him (as we did with Keita) for a hell of a lot less than the current post Neymar market value is. Now imagine if Mane and other players had those clauses too.

If thats the clubs thought process, I can see where they are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by hj77 View Post
    No I’m not saying I agree with it, but I understand it.

The owners seemingly don’t want any players to have these clauses. I can see why. Yes you might get a player like Can running down his contract, but the likelihood of most of our players doing that is probably low.

Imagine if Coutinho had a clause. Pre this summer I guess it would have been around the 70m mark tops. This summer Barca could have taken him (as we did with Keita) for a hell of a lot less than the current post Neymar market value is. Now imagine if Mane and other players had those clauses too.

If that’s the clubs thought process, I can see where they are coming from.
    Does Keita have no release clause?

Quote Originally Posted by raf_the_laf View Post
    I don't understand why they don't try to get some money out of it by signing some sort of contract.

What is the downside? That others will demand a clause?

Has this every happened before, that a player who seems happy at a club refuses to sign some form of contract?
    The way to get some money for him would be to sell him in January, we paid a stupid amount for the Ox.

LovelyCushionedHeader is online now Academy prospect
    Go through my posts youll see I am far from a moaner, but *********** hell this is absolutely tragic.

Literally take 90% of what it means on the pitch out for a second and focus on FSGs blueprint coming in. Buy young talent and watch it grow...then leave for free.

LovelyCushionedHeader is online now Academy prospect
    He has a *********** release clause already, its *********** zilch, and it comes into play July 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post
    I do like Emre Can but lets be honest - he can be improved on and replaced quite easily.

We may have Naby Keita in the bag but I'd love for us to land Leon Goretzka on a free or Adrien Rabiot who is said to be considering his options.
    Nonsense mate. Nothing comes "easy" for LFC. That much is fairly clear. Just because other good players exist doesn't mean well get them.

The way to get some money for him would be to sell him in January, we paid a stupid amount for the Ox.
    And then who to we replace him with ---- in January? We have some games to play between Janaury and May. We're not stocked in top MFs.

Juventus wont pay anything for him in Jan, they will just sign him for nothing and wait until the summer to get him, doesn't seem to be much interest from any other teams.