Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Do we really need Coutinho?

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    hopefully we didnt really need coutinho
    Rather a moot point whether we do or don't, did or didn't, he's no longer an option and clearly FSG felt we needed £105m + add ons more than we need Coutinho!
    People will believe what they want to believe
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Daymo68 View Post
    Losing Phil is a blow whichever way you put it.
    Exactly what Barca said when he got injured, again.

smokintony is online now Boot Room insider
    Depends what you mean by "need"

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Rather a moot point whether we do or don't, did or didn't, he's no longer an option and clearly FSG felt we needed £105m + add ons more than we need Coutinho!
    Coutinho was hell-bent on leaving, we can't really blame them as gutted as I am.

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    Coutinho was hell-bent on leaving, we can't really blame them as gutted as I am.
    he might aswell be dead to me now, i ll see him once or twice in cl maybe at the word cup and thats about it

expressing my own opinions

life is funny

When Philippe Coutinho was a young player I didn't believe he would be a top drawer player as I didn't see consistency in him

Certain posters carry on telling me that he was the best thing since sliced bread

--------------------
    as he is progressed and blossom I believed he was the cornerstone of the team

Again certain posters said that I wanted him sold when I never even said at stage

'----------------------------

Now certain posts are saying that Philippe Coutinho is not important and that we won't missing him

------------

to me it's devastating that we have lost are best player and without replacing him so far

Coutinho is the best player we have had since Gerrard at his peak, and I include Suarez in that statement. He still has his best years ahead of him and he is one of those rare players who can turn a game from a disaster into a triumph in a moment of individual magic. Anyone who thinks he is not a very, very great loss to the club is delusional. I really don't know where or if we will ever find an equal. The ONLY midfielder anywhere I would rate above him currently is De Bruyne.

He has left a gaping hole in the creativity department - who's going to fill it? Have we got anyone lined up?

Sorry - do we need...... now what was his name.... clearly not

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Sorry - do we need...... now what was his name.... clearly not
    You?

davevietnam is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert-Hall View Post
    Coutinho is the best player we have had since Gerrard at his peak, and I include Suarez in that statement. He still has his best years ahead of him and he is one of those rare players who can turn a game from a disaster into a triumph in a moment of individual magic. Anyone who thinks he is not a very, very great loss to the club is delusional. I really don't know where or if we will ever find an equal. The ONLY midfielder anywhere I would rate above him currently is De Bruyne.
    Good post and agree with every word. Makes me laugh when you read these posts that the stats show we win more without him playing than we did when he did play, its a meaningless stat as every game you play is different and against different opponents, if it did mean anything then why ever pick him for any game and for sure Barca would not be paying big money to acquire him.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    Good post and agree with every word. Makes me laugh when you read these posts that the stats show we win more without him playing than we did when he did play, its a meaningless stat as every game you play is different and against different opponents, if it did mean anything then why ever pick him for any game and for sure Barca would not be paying big money to acquire him.
    You agree he's better than Suarez was for us? Both world class but Suarez was top 3 in the world when he left, Coutinho is top 10, IMHO of course.

Suarez is in a different stratosphere to coutinho. Coutinho is a great player but not even close to Suarez. We'll miss coutinho but no where near as much as we miss Suarez.

This thread seems a little pointless now.

Absolutely, been going for far too long ands now totally pointless.
    loyal since 1960.

davevietnam is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    You agree he's better than Suarez was for us? Both world class but Suarez was top 3 in the world when he left, Coutinho is top 10, IMHO of course.
    All opinion of course but yes I do, Suarez was a great goal scorer, 20% of all his goals for Liverpool being scored against one team Norwich, he also accumulated many hat tricks and scored many second and other goals especially against much weaker opposition, all sounds good, but in his last season the one we came second he never scored as many points winning goals as Danny and I would even prefer Torres [at his best of course] over Suarez, and if we where in a situation now at 0-0 or needed a winning goal I would much prefer as long as we had an adequate striker on the pitch Coutinhio, for me a far better football player and more valuable asset to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert-Hall View Post
    Suárez was twice the player for us compared to Coutinho. Also Torres and Gerrard in his peak were much more important for us.

Albert does tend to paint things in the absolute worst possible light for Liverpool, for whatever curious reason.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    Absolutely, been going for far too long ands now totally pointless.
    You've got a point, there.

However, there's still plenty of repetition and regurgitation to go, given the style of threads that overrun their sell-buy date.

It's not meaningless, any more than it would be if we were losing almost every game without him.

It shows that we can still be an effective, winning, team without having to rely on him every game.

I think the more modest nature of our results with him also points towards my feeling, which is that we hadn't yet quite worked out how to get the best out of all of our fab 4 on any consistent basis.

It does not mean he's a poor player, or that we're better off without him, but it's not meaningless.
    Last edited by ***Stuzzza***; 12-1-18 at 12:39.

All opinion of course but yes I do, Suarez was a great goal scorer, 20% of all his goals for Liverpool being scored against one team Norwich, he also accumulated many hat tricks and scored many second and other goals especially against much weaker opposition, all sounds good, but in his last season the one we came second he never scored as many points winning goals as Danny and I would even prefer Torres [at his best of course] over Suarez, and if we where in a situation now at 0-0 or needed a winning goal I would much prefer as long as we had an adequate striker on the pitch Coutinhio, for me a far better football player and more valuable asset to the team.
    with the team we have now, at 0-0 needing a goal, I’d sacrifice Coutinho to Thor for Suárez to be on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    with the team we have now, at 0-0 needing a goal, I’d sacrifice Coutinho to Thor for Suárez to be on the pitch.
    I'd sacrifice myself too if need be. It's not even a contest between him and Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    Agreed. Suarez would get you a goal out of nowhere. With a mediocre team behind him, with or without Sturridge.
    Coutinho would thread a magical ball but you need a class striker to finish it off.
    I think, even right now, I'd rather have Suarez leading the line with Mane and Salah supporting him on the wings and Firmino behind him, over Coutinho behind Firmino, Salah and Mane.