Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we really need Coutinho?

Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    The opposition would want to be pretty toothless for that front 6 to play! Virtually zero protection for the Keystone Cops!
    Yeah agreed....would need the worlds best back 5 to play with that kind of attack
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    He is useless on the side
    Couts floats around, doesn't stay as a winger.

Of course we need him!
    To win the league you need a squad that can replace each other when someone gets injured/banned/is off form!
    How can selling your best player ever be good for the team? Only way it would work (and what worked for Utd) is to sell him and bring in someone even better or at least on a par with!
    Plus don't you think players playing whilst Phil is out will be wanting to give more and more knowing that when fit Phil will walk back into the team!

Quote Originally Posted by Thebeastyboy View Post
    I hear what you're saying....when he's playing with Salah, Mane & Bobby...we are superb going forward but maybe a bit too open in midfield. Still want to see this kind of set up playing more often though against weaker opposition

Can Chamberlain Coutinho
    Salah Firmino Mane
    Which games are you thinking of? The OPs whole point, as far as it is, is that so far we've really not been great at all with all 4 starting, albeit we've only seen it rarely. And it's not even been fragility at the back, we've just not been that good up top either and if anything it's been our failure to score enough that's cost us points in those games.

I certainly am not of the opinion that we're better without him but I do agree that so far they've not really clicked as a front 4 - and looking ahead to next summer, if PHIL still wants to leave, rather than a direct replacement I think I'd prefer we look for a striker to play ahead of Mane-Firmino-Salah than a schemer to play behind. And, ideally, an Alonso type playmaker to play behind/alongside Keita.

I posted about Phil in the random thread the other day, the numbers are interesting to say the least. Updated now with another win without him

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    My RFTOTD-

Our record without Coutinho this season: 6W 1D 1L

With him: 1W 5D 3L

'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Quote Originally Posted by ChivasRegal69 View Post
    Of course we need him!
    To win the league you need a squad that can replace each other when someone gets injured/banned/is off form!
    How can selling your best player ever be good for the team? Only way it would work (and what worked for Utd) is to sell him and bring in someone even better or at least on a par with!
    Plus don't you think players playing whilst Phil is out will be wanting to give more and more knowing that when fit Phil will walk back into the team!
    Liverpool in the past always used to sell the best players and managed to buy a similar calibre player

But we've lost our way by selling our best players not replacing them

The sort of money we could get from Philippe Coutinho we could really do some improvement down our spine

But hope that we can keep him next season when we should have better players in defence and then we can challenge hopefully the title

I posted about Phil in the random thread the other day, the numbers are interesting to say the least. Updated now with another win without him
    That can't be quite right - we've only lost 3 games this season and Phil didn't play vs City.

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    That can't be quite right - we've only lost 3 games this season and Phil didn't play vs City.
    You're right, it's 2 losses with Phil.

Though one was Leicester but i wanted to keep it simple, because we’d obviously want him playing, but the numbers are odd.

Though one was Leicester but i wanted to keep it simple, because we’d obviously want him playing, but the numbers are odd.
    Is 1-5-3 any more simple than 2-5-2? I think you just made a mistake mate.

Which games are you thinking of? The OPs whole point, as far as it is, is that so far we've really not been great at all with all 4 starting, albeit we've only seen it rarely. And it's not even been fragility at the back, we've just not been that good up top either and if anything it's been our failure to score enough that's cost us points in those games.

I certainly am not of the opinion that we're better without him but I do agree that so far they've not really clicked as a front 4 - and looking ahead to next summer, if PHIL still wants to leave, rather than a direct replacement I think I'd prefer we look for a striker to play ahead of Mane-Firmino-Salah than a schemer to play behind. And, ideally, an Alonso type playmaker to play behind/alongside Keita.
    Yeah agreed

Warten Auf 19 is online now Another New User Name
    Need is a strong word, but we need the highest quality of players possible. Whether that is him or his replacement.

AnfieldSouth41 is offline Academy prospect
    It depends who we can get in aswell, if we sell him for 130m just to have a repeat of this summers transfer window where you cant get your targets over the line then there is no point.

However looking at the priorities of the team, and if COutinho really doesnt want to leave, id take the 130m, with Keita already coming in and add to that a top keeper like Neuer (yes probably dreaming here), a CB like Djik, another creative player/wide player to replace Coutinho, and an out and out Striker.

Id also be offloading Mignolet, Karius, Markovic.

I get the question and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the short answer is yes. You can argue we are still excellent in attack without him but the truth is who wouldn't want Coutinho? A team with Coutinho in it is a more creative one and he is capable of winning matches with a moment of magic.
    The fact is that in the not too distant future we will have to be without him but we are at least well-equipped to cope without him, and the squad can be improved with the proper investment of funds received. He will of course need to be replaced with a player with a similar skill set.
    In truth I was resigned to him leaving over the summer, so no big deal as long as we can find a suitable replacement.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by AnfieldSouth41 View Post
    It depends who we can get in aswell, if we sell him for 130m just to have a repeat of this summers transfer window where you cant get your targets over the line then there is no point.

However looking at the priorities of the team, and if COutinho really doesnt want to leave, id take the 130m, with Keita already coming in and add to that a top keeper like Neuer (yes probably dreaming here), a CB like Djik, another creative player/wide player to replace Coutinho, and an out and out Striker.

Id also be offloading Mignolet, Karius, Markovic.
    No that sounds very plausible.

AnfieldSouth41 is offline Academy prospect
    Who do people see as a Coutinho replacement out there at the moment ?

Isco? Asensio? Draxler?

Is 1-5-3 any more simple than 2-5-2? I think you just made a mistake mate.
    Eh?

I did make a mistake, what do you mean?

That point was re: the Leicester game where he played the first half, and had he kept playing, we’d probably have won.

Isco? Asensio? Draxler?
    Draxler is a good shout. I'd be happy with that signing.

Eh?

I did make a mistake, what do you mean?

That point was re: the Leicester game where he played the first half, and had he kept playing, we’d probably have won.
    2-5-1 bordering 3-5-1 then.

The mistake is that we've won more and lost fewer with him than you'd posted - the record's bad enough without you making it worse, and thinking you're doing the opposite.

2-5-1 bordering 3-5-1 then.

The mistake is that we've won more and lost fewer with him than you'd posted - the record's bad enough without you making it worse, and thinking you're doing the opposite.
    Wrong side of the bed, Stuz?

Wrong side of the bed, Stuz?
    No mate, I'm all good. Just struggling to make a point.

Our record with Phil starting is 2(Maribor and Leicester in the league)-5-2(Spurs and Leicester in the cup)

It seemed like you thought you were keeping things simple, making a point but not trying to make it look too bad, almost as if you thought you'd slightly massaged the figures in his favour - when in fact you were making it look even worse by posting 1-5-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Warten Auf 19 View Post
    Need is a strong word, but we need the highest quality of players possible. Whether that is him or his replacement.
    Correct.

There is no one here that can replace Coutinho. No matter how inconsistent he may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertojones View Post
    Couts floats around, doesn't stay as a winger.
    I was talking about Firmino

Quote Originally Posted by canookiewookie View Post
    Correct.

There is no one here that can replace Coutinho. No matter how inconsistent he may be.
    He isn't consistent, not more so than a David Silva or an Isco. It's just that we watch him every week unlike other top players and are harder on him.

I pointed out in other posts that coutiniho as a numer 8,played 3 drew 3 all 1-1.
    The hated midfield of winaldum can hendo had a record of plyd 6 won 4 drew 2 scored 18 early on in season this ignored city game and inc hoffenhein games

Isco? Asensio? Draxler?
    nabil fekir is closest to him.at the moment even better

No mate, I'm all good. Just struggling to make a point.

Our record with Phil starting is 2(Maribor and Leicester in the league)-5-2(Spurs and Leicester in the cup)

It seemed like you thought you were keeping things simple, making a point but not trying to make it look too bad, almost as if you thought you'd slightly massaged the figures in his favour - when in fact you were making it look even worse by posting 1-5-3.
    No man, you’re not reading me right tbh. I wasn’t trying to massage figures at all, I just miscounted initially.

The point about the Leicester loss was in addition, in that it could easily be argued that we'd have won had he played, even though that goes down as a loss ‘ for him'. That was the keeping it simple part, it’s still counted as a loss despite the reality.

There was nothing more to it than a simple mistake, which I thought I clearly acknowledged in that follow up post saying you were right. Not sure where you went after that tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by mihamiha23 View Post
    nabil fekir is closest to him.at the moment even better
    Oh yeah, that's why Barca want to spend 150 million on Fekir.

We値l cope without him, just like we coped without Suarez. We have to.

I知 just upset that we won稚 be getting anywhere near the figures mentioned in the summer.
    It値l be around 」80 million.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by IFC View Post
    We’ll cope without him, just like we coped without Suarez. We have to.

I’m just upset that we won’t be getting anywhere near the figures mentioned in the summer.
    It’ll be around 」80 million.

Quote Originally Posted by IFC View Post
    We値l cope without him, just like we coped without Suarez. We have to.

I知 just upset that we won稚 be getting anywhere near the figures mentioned in the summer.
    It値l be around 」80 million.
    Um, why would we refuse 」100m+ and then accept 」80m?