Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we really need Coutinho?

1. #1 Philippe Coutinho Do we really need Coutinho? 
    He was out of the team, as we got a blistering start to the season.

However, he then was brought back in v Leicester, and we proceeded to go on a terrible run.

Now, he's out of the side again, and the team has started winning again. Should he be left out when he's fit again? I think so.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by davesaat View Post

However, he then was brought back in v Leicester, and we proceeded to go on a terrible run.

Now, he's out of the side again, and the team has started winning again. Should he be left out when he's fit again? I think so.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyixwqiCag

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Do we really need a team?
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    We do.

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    We do.
    We don't really need this thread then do we? Case closed!
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    We don't really need this thread then do we? Case closed!
    Agree.

Of course we don't need one of the best players in this league.

yes we need coutinho but we also need our other players to play better, coutinho can help others play better

It’s a funny one .

Cout is a tremendous player in his own right , can win a game on his own .
    By far our most prized asset and the most technically gifted at the club but .....

I’ve noticed myself we more than not play better as a whole unit without him in the side, other players are more utilised and we try several different options in attacking teams , with Coutinho in the side we seem to go through him, he drops deep taking hendo/can out of the game and that seems to be our main attack option . And against teams who play 10men behinds the ball for me it doesn’t work and we end up getting frustrated and snatching at chances or pass from side to side like arsenal 35yrds out .

I hate seeing him pick the ball up deep and then Can/Hendo/Wij are all on top of him or not far off , tottaly making our midfield obsolete in most case scenarios , with Lallana coming back this should change and I’d like to see Cout/Lallana play off Emre Can with Salah/Mane playing off Bobby Perú (Firmino)

For me if Barco do indeed come calling again and offer over £90m I’d accept and move on, he’s done wonders for us and I thank him for that , fantastic player but I do feel in the long term we wouldn’t miss him like we would if Mane left even though I don’t rate Mane as highly.

I think Cout is a luxury player , bit like Pogba down the road from us, fantastic player but where and how to play him to get the best out of him, and your team at the same time is abit hard , both can walk into any team but do they actually fit ?

We need to put a run together before Xmas and coutinho will most certainly be needed.
    Baffling post.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    Of course we don't need one of the best players in this league.
    We must have three of them then cause he's probably only the third best player at Liverpool, possibly not even that..... (and no I'm not one of the deluded who might think Mignolet is right up there!)

We missed Mane for sure, Coutinho has his magic moments but does he do it enough....? Think the OP has a point even if whether it is always/wholly true or not is debatable
    People will believe what they want to believe

Of course we need him....he's pure class, no matter what anyone says.

Quote Originally Posted by WileEcoyote View Post
    It’s a funny one .

Cout is a tremendous player in his own right , can win a game on his own .
    By far our most prized asset and the most technically gifted at the club but .....

I’ve noticed myself we more than not play better as a whole unit without him in the side, other players are more utilised and we try several different options in attacking teams , with Coutinho in the side we seem to go through him, he drops deep taking hendo/can out of the game and that seems to be our main attack option . And against teams who play 10men behinds the ball for me it doesn’t work and we end up getting frustrated and snatching at chances or pass from side to side like arsenal 35yrds out .

I hate seeing him pick the ball up deep and then Can/Hendo/Wij are all on top of him or not far off , tottaly making our midfield obsolete in most case scenarios , with Lallana coming back this should change and I’d like to see Cout/Lallana play off Emre Can with Salah/Mane playing off Bobby Perú (Firmino)

For me if Barco do indeed come calling again and offer over £90m I’d accept and move on, he’s done wonders for us and I thank him for that , fantastic player but I do feel in the long term we wouldn’t miss him like we would if Mane left even though I don’t rate Mane as highly.

I think Cout is a luxury player , bit like Pogba down the road from us, fantastic player but where and how to play him to get the best out of him, and your team at the same time is abit hard , both can walk into any team but do they actually fit ?
    Agree with most if not all of that. Always thought England were better off without Beckham because the team played like a team not just like Beckham + 10. And don't forget there was plenty of talent in that side.

Too easy to dismiss the thread suggestion, besides anything else we may struggle to fight off bids and I for one think it is crazy money to turn down. Value for money £100m+ for Coutinho would not represent as Yoda said just before he died..........

He's probably our best player, but I don't think it's that absurd to wonder if we play better as a team without him.

In 2011/12 Kenny was without Gerrard up until Christmas if I recall, but we kept in contention and other players stepped up. Once he finally got fit we endured a pretty poor run of results in the league, and certain players seemed to almost defer to him rather than try anything themselves.

Is there something similar in what we're seeing now? Perhaps. He's the most technically gifted and sought after player in this squad, capable of brilliance nobody else can muster. We're a better team on paper, for sure, but we may be better balanced without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebeastyboy View Post
    Of course we need him....he's pure class, no matter what anyone says.
    I could equally say we would survive if not fare as well or better without him, "no matter what anyone says"............

Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    He's probably our best player, but I don't think it's that absurd to wonder if we play better as a team without him.

In 2011/12 Kenny was without Gerrard up until Christmas if I recall, but we kept in contention and other players stepped up. Once he finally got fit we endured a pretty poor run of results in the league, and certain players seemed to almost defer to him rather than try anything themselves.

Is there something similar in what we're seeing now? Perhaps. He's the most technically gifted and sought after player in this squad, capable of brilliance nobody else can muster. We're a better team on paper, for sure, but we may be better balanced without him.
    I hear what you're saying....when he's playing with Salah, Mane & Bobby...we are superb going forward but maybe a bit too open in midfield. Still want to see this kind of set up playing more often though against weaker opposition

Can Chamberlain Coutinho
    Salah Firmino Mane

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    I could equally say we would survive if not fare as well or better without him, "no matter what anyone says"............
    Sure we are still good enough without him but I don't see how we're not better with him

Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post

Again, hard to disagree with any of that. I think it's just a case of him being a very good player and some unable to see anything beyond that like a horse with blinkers (blinders I think the yanks call them)

Quote Originally Posted by davesaat View Post

Coutinho will come and go

But there will always be a Liverpool

yes we need a superstar
    yes we need a leader
    yes we need that go to player

But thats the idea of having 30 guys that can compete on all fronts

you ain't reliant on one

So injuries are not an excuse
    So depth of squad and quality are not excuses
    So passengers and deadwood are not an issue

Oh well if we don't need the wonderful goals and passes, might as well bench him I suppose. Presumably the O.P. is also not looking forward to seeing Coutinho linking up with Lallana?Baffling post for sure.
    loyal since 1960.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebeastyboy View Post
    I hear what you're saying....when he's playing with Salah, Mane & Bobby...we are superb going forward but maybe a bit too open in midfield. Still want to see this kind of set up playing more often though against weaker opposition

Can Chamberlain Coutinho
    Salah Firmino Mane
    The opposition would want to be pretty toothless for that front 6 to play! Virtually zero protection for the Keystone Cops!

Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Do we really need a team?
    A team of Mignolets and lovrens is what we need

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    A team of Mignolets and lovrens is what we need
    Lovren for GK, then.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Lovren for GK, then.
    Lovren
    Mignolet Mignolet Mignolet mignolet
    Lovren lovren lovren
    Mignolet lovren mignolet

Yes we need him, but if he goes I think Bobby could do a very good job for us in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Lovren
    Mignolet Mignolet Mignolet mignolet
    Lovren lovren lovren
    Mignolet lovren mignolet
    That could work, actually.

I'd go for

Mignolet, Mignolet, Lovren, Lovren and Mignolet on the bench… that'd give us some depth.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Again, hard to disagree with any of that. I think it's just a case of him being a very good player and some unable to see anything beyond that like a horse with blinkers (blinders I think the yanks call them)
    It relates in part to your point over Beckham, or indeed many of that 'golden generation'. Those teams were all woefully imbalanced at various points, yet you'd have visionaries like hoddle saying you needed your biggest, bestest names out there irrespective of how detrimental it was to the balance of the team.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    No. Deadwood. Next.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertojones View Post
    Yes we need him, but if he goes I think Bobby could do a very good job for us in that position.
    He is useless on the side

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    That could work, actually.

I'd go for

Mignolet, Mignolet, Lovren, Lovren and Mignolet on the bench… that'd give us some depth.
    We all dream of a team of Mignolets, a team of Mignolets....