Notices

View Poll Results: How far can we go in the Champions League?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drop into Europa League

0 0%
  • Last 16

12 18.46%
  • Quarter Final

24 36.92%
  • Semi final

13 20.00%
  • Final

1 1.54%
  • Winners

15 23.08%
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CL - how far can we go?

raybarnes is offline Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
    No way are we winning it.

We could def make QF if we get a good draw. After that, our lack of a defence will severely hamper us.

Main thing is to have some fun and make sure we get CL next season too.
    Why no way?
    Who thought we would win it in Istanbul you never know
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I put Quarter Finals but if we are lucky we could get to the semis. I think we have one "giant-killer" effort in us, if we are unlucky that could come in the Last-16 otherwise it'll be the quarters.

Despite the refreshing hope floating around I don't think we have the ability at the moment to beat 2-3 very top teams, home and away, needed to win the tournament, or even get to the final. Our defense is just too leaky and we aren't consistent enough for that kind of run.

I also can't help but wonder how a long CL run is going to affect our PL form. Obviously I want to go far but I look at our squad and feel we are still pretty light and an extended period of multiple games a week could damage us.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    I put Quarter Finals but if we are lucky we could get to the semis. I think we have one "giant-killer" effort in us, if we are unlucky that could come in the Last-16 otherwise it'll be the quarters.

Despite the refreshing hope floating around I don't think we have the ability at the moment to beat 2-3 very top teams, home and away, needed to win the tournament, or even get to the final. Our defense is just too leaky and we aren't consistent enough for that kind of run.

I also can't help but wonder how a long CL run is going to affect our PL form. Obviously I want to go far but I look at our squad and feel we are still pretty light and an extended period of multiple games a week could damage us.
    Could be a concern alright. 14 points dropped so far and 7 of them have been after CL games.

I said Semis.

I think we should see out the group in first place, giving us hopefully an easier opposition in the R16.

If that is the case, and we get through, I feel we can beat anyone on our day and we haven't had the opportunity to show it yet..I have faith we will! However I can't see us progressing any further than the Semis.

At that stage the top top teams can smell the final and very rarely screw up.

I'd be happy enough with Quarters, but any less and I'd feel underwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    That was a great run and it ended spectacularly.

The belief grew and the kop got louder as we progressed. And I remember reading after the Juve lads commenting on how taken back they were by the atmosphere. If we get some of that back we could go further than most would have given us at the start. I reckon QF's but once we get there anything can happen if the crowd is behind the team.
    As I recall the atmosphere in the first leg against Juventus was immense and it was that and our tactics which totally scared them half to death. However credit where credit is due, not only did it go up a notch in the semi final second leg against Chelsea...It went up multiplied by 10. It was unbelievable. The place absolutely rocked, no team would have been able to withstand that. It was back to what Bill Shankly once said 'The KOP can suck balls into the net....and it can keep them out too". It was probably the best atmosphere during a European game since St Ettiene 1977.

As for the final. Kelly Dalglish said that the singing of 'YNWA' at half time was what started the fight-back. If there ever was a rallying call , that was it.

I dont c a pole here ??????

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaneomax View Post
    I dont c a pole here ??????
    Me neither.

There's a poll at the top of the page though.

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Me neither.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Me neither.

Jur-Gone is online now Previous username 'Klopp-OUT' just for reference
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    If the real Liverpool turn up we could go all the way but I think quarter finals.
    What do you mean by 'real Liverpool'?

We know what we'll get from City, Barca, Bayern, PSG every week. Same with the likes of Palace west ham.. etc..

This Klopp's Liverpool is bipolar.

Voted last 16.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B-xdt0kddoQ

Quote Originally Posted by Jur-Gone View Post
    What do you mean by 'real Liverpool'?

We know what we'll get from City, Barca, Bayern, PSG every week. Same with the likes of Palace west ham.. etc..

This Klopp's Liverpool is bipolar.
    We've been "Bi-Polar" for the best part of 20 years, this isnt something new to Klopp's time in charge.

We're consistent at being inconsistent.

I said before, I'd be happy with Quarter Finals, anything more is a bonus. I don't think anything has changed.

I honestly think we will make the semis at least.

Last 16.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Last 16.
    Now that Dave has said it there is no way we are going past round of 16!

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    Now that Dave has said it there is no way we are going past round of 16!
    oops

The thing is that we have actually played some really good football in the champions league this year. Results may not have been ideal but the way we played was pretty relevant for me. We also have a manager with great pedigree in European competitions and so the potential to go far is great. That being said, I'm somewhat concerned by how our team has played against the bigger sides this year and so it'll be interesting going forward to see how we do in the knockout stages (provided we reach them obviously).

Overall I have quite a good feeling and I think we'll make the quarters or the semis.

Liverpool can make the semi finals, we've had an easy-ish group compared to our other premier league rivals. If we don't top the group at least there's 2 more games saved from not making the quarter finals - can anyone see finishing group runners up being an advantage? I don't in honesty.

I still say we can Win it!

LFC+CL=potential voodoo magic!

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    I still say we can Win it!

LFC+CL=potential voodoo magic!
    or voodoo disaster if we meet tottenham

Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    or voodoo disaster if we meet tottenham
    Or voodoo we batter them! Klopp and the lads won’t let Spurs beat us again

I think we should start singing a top 3 song from the 80s by Slyfox................

QF is a reasonable hope
    SF is a possibility
    Final isn't out of the question, but depends on the draw and how well we play in semis etc (may sound like a "well, duh!" statement, but I'm more referring to how we can get things right in some games and not nearly in others so it working out we combine performances and results, only need to win one n'est pas)

But again the title is poorly worded, there's a lot of difference between can and will, and I don't mean Emre and Scarlett
    People will believe what they want to believe

Its true once we get out of the group ANYTHING is possible. Oh its true, its damn true. So yeah we could actually win it. There are really no teams out there that I would be scared to come up against apart from CITY lol, mind you we will want revenge so we might actually give them some payback should we meet them in the CL, and I would be 99.9 % our boys will be up for an all out war should we draw City. Barca are not the same force they once were, Ronaldo is getting old and really is not on fire yet and Neymar is basically throwing his toys out of the pram at PSG and it will eventually start to affect their results. It is there for the taking.

We need to top the group first and foremost. Why? That in itself gives us an advantage in that we'll play away in the first leg of the knock-out stages. If we can manage to get in the right side of the draw and play our away games first, then we've a chance of getting to the final.

We've always done well when playing away first. As for a potential final, our lucky omen has been wearing red every time we've won it. We've lost when we haven't.

And and and let me say this, if we have a good run in the CL I am sure Coutinho will stay because as I mentioned Barca look to be in decline now and his best mate Luis is also on the decline, I don't think he will want to go to PSG and in the end he might realise he dodged a bullet by not joining Barca or PSG.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    We need to top the group first and foremost. Why? That in itself gives us an advantage in that we'll play away in the first leg of the knock-out stages. If we can manage to get in the right side of the draw and play our away games first, then we've a chance of getting to the final.

We've always done well when playing away first. As for a potential final, our lucky omen has been wearing red every time we've won it. We've lost when we haven't.
    Good point.

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    depends who who draw

i think we could have a go at anyone bt our defense will be punished by the better sides in the competition

getting to the last 8 would be success really

but considering spurs could hump madrid i see no reason to fear anyone . madrid have been the best side in europe for 3 years and humbled by spuds...

if spuds could do it i dont see why we couldnt.

spurs do have a far superior backline though

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    depends who who draw

i think we could have a go at anyone bt our defense will be punished by the better sides in the competition

getting to the last 8 would be success really

but considering spurs could hump madrid i see no reason to fear anyone . madrid have been the best side in europe for 3 years and humbled by spuds...

if spuds could do it i dont see why we couldnt.

spurs do have a far superior backline though
    I think if we did get to the last 8, it would be a whole new competition almost- Anfield would become a different animal, and I could easily see us finding another gear or two.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    We'll be out in the next round
    Not if we have a fully fit squad, with all our players available and Klopp playing the right formation 4231 we can go far.