Notices

View Poll Results: How far can we go in the Champions League?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drop into Europa League

0 0%
  • Last 16

12 20.34%
  • Quarter Final

22 37.29%
  • Semi final

10 16.95%
  • Final

1 1.69%
  • Winners

14 23.73%
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CL - how far can we go?

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    I think if we did get to the last 8, it would be a whole new competition almost- Anfield would become a different animal, and I could easily see us finding another gear or two.
    yeah but the defense against high end sides we d likely meet in the last 8

any top class side would slaughrer our defense.. moreno s walkabouts v barca madrid etc ,.... lovrens brainfarts.... no i dont think so not until he fixs the defense
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    yeah but the defense against high end sides we d likely meet in the last 8

any top class side would slaughrer our defense.. moreno s walkabouts v barca madrid etc ,.... lovrens brainfarts.... no i dont think so not until he fixs the defense
    Yeah, I get that, but that’s based on what we’ve been looking at. My point was that if we do get to the last 8, I suspect we’ll find another level or two. And i wouldn’t say teams would be overly excited about drawing us at that point either. All speculative of course.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Slim to no chance of winning it unless we sort out our defense

When you produce a dominant display at home it makes excitement and the tournament looks a bit brighter.

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    Yeah, I get that, but that’s based on what we’ve been looking at. My point was that if we do get to the last 8, I suspect we’ll find another level or two. And i wouldn’t say teams would be overly excited about drawing us at that point either. All speculative of course.
    well if you get to the last 8 i wouldnt fancy coming facing us at anfield in a second leg

wouldnt fear any of them

spurs have made europe think...

if madrid are beatable over 2 legs by them why cant anyone else have a go..

ifancy city to go far in it this year , ,=maybe a city psg final... provided the draw keeps them seperate..

as for us on ** day we can beat anyone and we are better against teams that come to play which most higher end teams will. that could suit us. we destroyed bayern in preseason by letting them have the ball and countering them.

the only doubt is the defense.. and if we did sign vvd in january then maybe ... who knows

Winners.

Anything is possible.

Bump.

Draw is on Monday. Give me anyone.

Anything is possible from here on, especially if the goals are still flying in.

Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    Bump.

Draw is on Monday. Give me anyone.

Anything is possible from here on, especially if the goals are still flying in.
    Get to another final? Surely Jurgen has to win 1 final FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by Thebeastyboy View Post
    As Duffer said "over two legs they can do anyone".

He really needs to especially after that heartbreaking loss in Audi cup final!!!!!

As Duffer said "over two legs they can do anyone".
    Duffer is right. Keep it tight in the away leg and go to town on them in the home leg.

I know pre-season means very little ... but the past two have delivered thumping wins over Barca and Bayern, and the thing that stood out both times was how much they both weren't used to a team just relentlessly attacking them with speed and multiple deadly players.

I PRAY PRAY PRAY Klopp picks up a player or two in January that can strengthen us at the back ... and combined with keeping the attackers fit ... we COULD thump anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by livrule View Post
    I know pre-season means very little ... but the past two have delivered thumping wins over Barca and Bayern, and the thing that stood out both times was how much they both weren't used to a team just relentlessly attacking them with speed and multiple deadly players.

I PRAY PRAY PRAY Klopp picks up a player or two in January that can strengthen us at the back ... and combined with keeping the attackers fit ... we COULD thump anyone.
    Exactly.

Forget forwards. If we signed a centre back and a dominant midfielder that us different to what we've got. Then I would be happy. The links to Nzonzi interest me greatly, as he's exactly what we don't have. We have silky midfielders, and energetic midfielders but Nzonzi is a bulldozer.

Keep attackers fit.

Sign at least one defender.

We can beat anyone on our day!

Quote Originally Posted by livrule View Post

Yeah couldn't agree more

Decent draw.

PSG v Madrid is great too, at least one favourite will go out early.

Could be a year for one of the PL teams to win this.

Decent draw.

There's a pretty good chance yeah

There's a pretty good chance yeah
    Yeah, big time beasty.

Imagine hitting top form around February? Anything can happen.

Yeah, big time beasty.

Imagine hitting top form around February? Anything can happen.
    We can blow anyone away but the real concern for me is our defending when it's squeaky bum time against top opposition

We can blow anyone away but the real concern for me is our defending when it's squeaky bum time against top opposition
    A top CB could turn our season from good to great. There's a lot at stake this season.

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post

A top CB could turn our season from good to great. There's a lot at stake this season.
    I really don't think we can go all the way in the CL with our current back 5, unless we have some ridiculous luck

+Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    I really don't think we can go all the way in the CL with our current back 5, unless we have some ridiculous luck
    If we sign VVD in January though
    "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

I think we have a team probably better than a couple of the finalist in recent years. If our attack click it could be lights out for any apponent.

I think we have a team probably better than a couple of the finalist in recent years. If our attack click it could be lights out for any apponent.
    I agree mate and really hope it happens. One step at a time....Porto will not be pushovers.

It's the knockout stage where we are at a disadvantage because this is where teams with solid defences tend to progress - as seen by Atletico Madrid in recent years (and Mourinho for that matter).
    It's where we get knocked out on the away goals rule.

Decent draw.

Chelsea vs Barcelona knocks out a big gun too.

The thread question is perhaps very differently worded to what is actually being asked, how far we can go is answered "all the way" because it is possible. How far will we go as in a prediction is a much tougher question, but whilst our defence gets a lot of stick we only conceded more than one goal against Sevilla. And in the league we've only conceded 2+ goals in two heavy defeats, against Leicester away and at Watford.

So what? Well that means we've played Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal without conceding lots of goals, and against citeh not only are they having an extraordinary record breaking season but we played them with ten men from 0-1 down. It was worrying to go 3-0 up against Sevilla and not win the game, but we do have two bites at the cherry in this format so it isn't like we can't make amends. Sure we can't afford to lose by 2-3 goal margins, but have a bit more faith in our attack let alone defence.

We reach two finals under Klopp, with a side no better than this one. Yes we're now playing with the 'big boys', but did we not have a great record last season against such teams in the league............... Take away the NINE league goals conceded in our two defeats and that leaves just 11 goals in 15 games including games against Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. And even if Klopp doesn't keep Karius in goal in the league, chances are he will retain his place in CL.........
    People will believe what they want to believe

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyZidane View Post
    It's the knockout stage where we are at a disadvantage because this is where teams with solid defences tend to progress - as seen by Atletico Madrid in recent years (and Mourinho for that matter).
    It's where we get knocked out on the away goals rule.
    Teams usually have ambitions of getting more than a point in the CL though, which should suit us a lot better.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Chelsea vs Barcelona knocks out a big gun too.

The thread question is perhaps very differently worded to what is actually being asked, how far we can go is answered "all the way" because it is possible. How far will we go as in a prediction is a much tougher question, but whilst our defence gets a lot of stick we only conceded more than one goal against Sevilla. And in the league we've only conceded 2+ goals in two heavy defeats, against Leicester away and at Watford.

So what? Well that means we've played Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal without conceding lots of goals, and against citeh not only are they having an extraordinary record breaking season but we played them with ten men from 0-1 down. It was worrying to go 3-0 up against Sevilla and not win the game, but we do have two bites at the cherry in this format so it isn't like we can't make amends. Sure we can't afford to lose by 2-3 goal margins, but have a bit more faith in our attack let alone defence.

We reach two finals under Klopp, with a side no better than this one. Yes we're now playing with the 'big boys', but did we not have a great record last season against such teams in the league............... Take away the NINE league goals conceded in our two defeats and that leaves just 11 goals in 15 games including games against Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. And even if Klopp doesn't keep Karius in goal in the league, chances are he will retain his place in CL.........
    And (as you mentioned in the next paragraph but strangely omitted here?) City and Spurs.