Notices

View Poll Results: How far can we go in the Champions League?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drop into Europa League

0 0%
  • Last 16

11 20.37%
  • Quarter Final

21 38.89%
  • Semi final

9 16.67%
  • Final

1 1.85%
  • Winners

12 22.22%
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CL - how far can we go?

1. #1 Fagan CL - how far can we go? 
    When the next round of games come around we should be nearly up to full strength

How far can we go?
    Last edited by -Seamus-; 6-11-17 at 18:48.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Poll added

How far can we go or how far do I think we'll actually go?

Depending on the draw we can win it if we have a good day in the final, I'll vote what I expect though...

White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    We'll be out in the next round

canookiewookie is online now Academy prospect
    That is a tough question, we could face RM or Bayern. And while RM is in a slump, they still are the defending champs - and Bayern are flying again under Heynckes.

Edit - I am assuming we will top the group.

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    We'll be out in the next round
    Depends on the draw...and which LFC turns up.

I doubt we'd be a draw other teams would prefer.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

naturalskill is offline First team regular
    do some good business in January and we could go all the way

Quote Originally Posted by canookiewookie View Post
    That is a tough question, we could face RM or Bayern. And while RM is in a slump, they still are the defending champs - and Bayern are flying again under Heynckes.
    Or we could play the likes of Basel, Shaktar, or Leipzig...

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    We could win it...no matter how unlikely that is...so I voted for that.

Anything is possible though...even crashing out into the Thursday Cup.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    Depends on the draw...and which LFC turns up.

I doubt we'd be a draw other teams would prefer.
    That's what I'd be thinking too. Hard to beat at home and on our day we can blow even the best of teams off the park.

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    If the real Liverpool turn up we could go all the way but I think quarter finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    If the real Liverpool turn up we could go all the way but I think quarter finals.
    You read my mind...

Think we can win it with some luck going our way.It has happened before so why not again.Itís been a while since we have won anything!!!

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    I voted QF, but who knows? Depends on the luck of the draw and which Liverpool turns up. I have a good feeling about Klopp and Europe though, took his Dortmund side to the final and smashed some heavyweights along the way, took us to the EL final, and like some have said we can match anyone on our day.

Juventus (next round)
    Barcelona (last 8)
    Man City (semi)
    PSG (final)

And we are the champions!

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Get to the knock out stages, and by the time we CL kicks off again, hopefully we will have a fully fit squad and who knows then?!?
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    I voted QF, but who knows? Depends on the luck of the draw and which Liverpool turns up. I have a good feeling about Klopp and Europe though, took his Dortmund side to the final and smashed some heavyweights along the way, took us to the EL final, and like some have said we can match anyone on our day.
    If we get through and the draw is kind then anything is possible.

Well, up to a final appearance anyway. Henderson as a CL winning captain is beyond the realms of fantasy!

I reckon this competition will suit us more the further it goes, because the football will be better, and we always thrive against teams that want to play. And no team will look forward to playing us, I wouldnít say.

Itís a weird thing thatís happened in football, how the better teams are almost easier to play against than the poorer teams. There are exceptions obviously, but as a general rule, better teams suit us.

I always felt all bets would be off if/when we got out of the group, so Iíve gone for 'we can win'. The fact that we got to the EL final after Klopp took over was borderline miraculous, and shows that anything really is possible. Iím not sure about 'probable', though.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

In my opinion when we are in the knockouts, we can beat almost anyone on our day. As long as we donít get battered in the away game, we always have a chance at Anfield.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    I reckon this competition will suit us more the further it goes, because the football will be better, and we always thrive against teams that want to play. And no team will look forward to playing us, I wouldn’t say.

It’s a weird thing that’s happened in football, how the better teams are almost easier to play against than the poorer teams. There are exceptions obviously, but as a general rule, better teams suit us.

I always felt all bets would be off if/when we got out of the group, so I’ve gone for 'we can win'. The fact that we got to the EL final after Klopp took over was borderline miraculous, and shows that anything really is possible. I’m not sure about 'probable', though.
    Saying that, but we got smashed against (arguably) the 2 best 'footballing' sides in the league this year...

I'm not sure I'd fancy our defence against some of the heavyweights in Europe. Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Mbappe, et al vs Migs, Moreno, Lovren and the crew? Could get nasty...

Saying that, but we got smashed against (arguably) the 2 best 'footballing' sides in the league this year...

I'm not sure I'd fancy our defence against some of the heavyweights in Europe. Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Mbappe, et al vs Migs, Moreno, Lovren and the crew? Could get nasty...
    Yeah, they’d be 'the exceptions' I mentioned.

In seriousness, though, I do fancy us playing more footballing sides. Spurs just hammered us tbf, which can always happen, but things went horribly wrong against City, and it was a match we were on top in until the red card, even after they’d scored their first.

Yeah, they’d be 'the exceptions' I mentioned.

In seriousness, though, I do fancy us playing more footballing sides. Spurs just hammered us tbf, which can always happen, but things went horribly wrong against City, and it was a match we were on top in until the red card, even after they’d scored their first.
    Yeh on our day we're a nightmare to play against, but one thing's for sure, if we're going to go far in the CL we're going to need to be 'on our day' a hell of a lot, and we'll need a fair bit of luck to boot I imagine too. Let's start by actually winning this (very easy) group first though eh?

Yeh on our day we're a nightmare to play against, but one thing's for sure, if we're going to go far in the CL we're going to need to be 'on our day' a hell of a lot, and we'll need a fair bit of luck to boot I imagine too. Let's start by actually winning this (very easy) group first though eh?
    True enough, but maybe that backs up my point?

It’s small margins, though, had Firmino scored that penalty against Sevilla, I reckon things would look a lot different.

Obviously it’s all speculation, but taking it to an even more basic and unreasonable level, I reckon we have a better chance of winning the CL than we do the PL.(and not just this season based on City)

True enough, but maybe that backs up my point?

It’s small margins, though, had Firmino scored that penalty against Sevilla, I reckon things would look a lot different.

Obviously it’s all speculation, but taking it to an even more basic and unreasonable level, I reckon we have a better chance of winning the CL than we do the PL.(and not just this season based on City)
    Well yeh, we've always tended to up our game against the best, that isn't a new Klopp thing. Far fewer games against a handful of top sides vs 38 games against a wide variety of teams is always going to be easier for a team like ours. And the 'easy' remark wasn't really what I was getting at tbh, more let's get this job done first before talking about getting to the final, etc. Think we're all getting ahead of ourselves a little bit

Momentum plays a huge factor too. Especially when we get it.

Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    Momentum plays a huge factor too. Especially when we get it.
    Agreed.

In 2004/05 we gained that momentum by winning that game against Olympiakos and everything just followed. It was like a domino effect. The momentum built after every round. After Leverkusen, It was let's embrace the next challenge, then Juventus and the momentum grew, then Chelsea, then the final. I think it was Ancelotti celebrating at half time that put our players backs up. Everyone knows you don't upset wounded animals...because wounded animals are dangerous. A.C. Milan found that out the hard way.
    Last edited by Kloppsstars; 7-11-17 at 13:52.

No way are we winning it.

We could def make QF if we get a good draw. After that, our lack of a defence will severely hamper us.

Main thing is to have some fun and make sure we get CL next season too.

Daymo68 is online now One Post At A Time
    Realistically before the tournament started I felt last 16 would be acceptable due to our recent record in the competition and lack of even being in it. A good performance would certainly be the QF which I have voted on.

However this is a cup competition and as we saw in 2005 the best sides donít always win. If we get luck with the draw, be in good form, luck with injuries and meet sides who arenít on form....plus Anfield then who knows.

Letís get through the group first and enjoy the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    Agreed.

In 2004/05 we gained that momentum by winning that game against Olympiakos and everything just followed. It was like a domino effect. The momentum built after every round. After Leverkusen, It was let's embrace the next challenge, then Juventus and the momentum grew, then Chelsea, then the final. I think it was Ancelotti celebrating at half time that put our players backs up. Everyone knows you don't upset wounded animals...because wounded animals are dangerous. A.C. Milan found that out the hard way.
    That was a great run and it ended spectacularly.

The belief grew and the kop got louder as we progressed. And I remember reading after the Juve lads commenting on how taken back they were by the atmosphere. If we get some of that back we could go further than most would have given us at the start. I reckon QF's but once we get there anything can happen if the crowd is behind the team.

raybarnes is offline Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Anything can happen in cup competitions