Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England WC squad 2018

1. #1 Default England WC squad 2018 
    Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    So, if you were Gareth Southgate who would you take on the plane to Russia next year?

Personally, I think it would be a great opportunity to go young - no one expects anything of us and a hungry, young squad may be the chance to blood the youngsters and give them the experience before embarking on Euro 2020 and onwards.

Joe Hart
    Jack Butland
    Jordan Pickford

Kieran Trippier
    Kyle Walker
    Danny Rose
    Ryan Bertrand

Gary Cahill
    Harry Maguire
    John Stones
    Joe Gomez

Eric Dier
    Harry Winks
    Jordan Henderson
    Ruben Loftus-Cheek
    Jesse Lingard

Raheem Sterling
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Adam Lallana
    Dele Alli

Marcus Rashford
    Daniel Sturridge
    Harry Kane
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Good selection, but I wouldn't have Jesse Lingard anywhere near the squad, shocking player. And by good selection I mean it's pretty **** but England's squad is atm.

Jesse Lingard is terrible so I wouldn't have him in. Also, Harry Winks hasn't even justified enough to start for Spurs, let alone be in an England world cup squad. People are overdoing it with him at the moment. I've no problem with him going to Russia but he actually needs to prove that he deserves to first.

I'd also sack Loftus-Cheek off. Flavour of the month.

Far too soon for Gomez & Loftus Cheek

and Lingaard is a no no

foreverred-1973 is offline 100% Concentrated
    THe three GK are those with the most goals conceded I think
    Thank God I'm an Atheist!

Phil Jones has to be in there, him and Stones as the CB pairing. And I would take Vardy over Sturridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dham944 View Post
    Phil Jones has to be in there, him and Stones as the CB pairing. And I would take Vardy over Sturridge.
    Yeah, Jones has to go.

This is the squad I think Southgate will pick:

Hart, Butland, Pickford

Walker, Trippier, Rose, Bertrand

Jones, Stones, Cahill, Maguire

Dier, Henderson, Winks, Wilshere

Alli, Sterling, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Kane, Rashford, Vardy, Sturridge

Maguire, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain are far from certain picks, perhaps Sturridge too.

I'd pick Maguire ahead of Smalling, Keane and Gomez at this point.

If Wilshere proves hit fitness and manages to force his way into Arsenal's starting XI, he'll be on the plane. I guess his main competition will be Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek and Livermore.

We don't have too many options on the wing, so I think the Ox might force his way in. Southgate may view his versality as a useful attribute too. If Demarai Gray has a breakthrough season he might put pressure on Oxlade-Chamberlain. Lingard is another possibility too of course.

Up front, I think Sturridge gets in. But he's fourth choice at the moment. Southgate may decide that he wants a target man in the squad, with Abraham waiting in the wings. Alternatively, Defoe could also be an effective player off the bench.

I doubt that the players above will be starting in the World Cup, whilst some may not get many minutes at all. It may come down to who will have a good influence in the squad and not cause much trouble.

Gray is an interesting shout ^ I rate him and can see him making an impact under Puel, it doesn't take too much for a player to force his way in so could see a couple of surprises.

Darrren1 is online now Better tables than DFS
    As if he won't be taking Welbeck and Barkley. Probably Walcott too.

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    Hart, Butland, Pickford

Walker, Tripper, Rose, Bertrand

Dier, Henderson, Shelvey, Drinkwater, Alli

Sterling, Oxo Chambo, Lallana, Rashford

Kane, Vardy, Sturridge

I like youngsters like Winks and Loftus Cheek, but this seems a silly time to introduce them. Wait until after the World Cup and give them two years in the Euros qualifiers to get used to full international football. I'd also throw Shelvey and Drinkwater in there as currently our midfield looks pants and devoid of creativity. Shelvey is a hot-head but does have that x-factor and fearlessness that could be useful in some scenarios, while Drinkwater is on the same wavelength as Vardy, so that partnership could also be a useful weapon against teams playing a high line.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    Hart, Butland, Pickford

Walker, Tripper, Rose, Bertrand

Dier, Henderson, Shelvey, Drinkwater, Alli

Sterling, Oxo Chambo, Lallana, Rashford

Kane, Vardy, Sturridge

I like youngsters like Winks and Loftus Cheek, but this seems a silly time to introduce them. Wait until after the World Cup and give them two years in the Euros qualifiers to get used to full international football. I'd also throw Shelvey and Drinkwater in there as currently our midfield looks pants and devoid of creativity. Shelvey is a hot-head but does have that x-factor and fearlessness that could be useful in some scenarios, while Drinkwater is on the same wavelength as Vardy, so that partnership could also be a useful weapon against teams playing a high line.
    I don't think it would be silly to take Winks at all. He's performing well at the highest level and starting consistently for one of the best teams in the PL. For me, it makes complete sense to take him, especially given our lack of quality in the midfield area.

I'd even go as far as saying that I'd start Winks alongside Dier. With Rose at LWB and Alli alongside/in behind Kane. You've pretty much got half of Spurs' starting XI then. Add Walker (who only moved from Tottenham a few months back) to that and a lot of our players will be on the same wavelength. Not just Drinkwater and Vardy, who will both be fringe players at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    I don't think it would be silly to take Winks at all. He's performing well at the highest level and starting consistently for one of the best teams in the PL. For me, it makes complete sense to take him, especially given our lack of quality in the midfield area.

I'd even go as far as saying that I'd start Winks alongside Dier. With Rose at LWB and Alli alongside/in behind Kane. You've pretty much got half of Spurs' starting XI then. Add Walker (who only moved from Tottenham a few months back) to that and a lot of our players will be on the same wavelength. Not just Drinkwater and Vardy, who will both be fringe players at best.
    Lallana and Sterling either side of Alli. Stones and Jones at the back with Butland or Pickford in goal, could give us a chance of getting out the group stages.

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother

Winks has made 8 Premier League starts in his career. Does look a talent but there's nowhere near enough evidence to go on yet that he's any more than another Tom Carroll. That said there's a long time between now and next summer so if he plays the vast majority of Tottenham's games and continues to impress, then I'd be happy to take him.

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-Simon-95 View Post
    Lallana and Sterling either side of Alli. Stones and Jones at the back with Butland or Pickford in goal, could give us a chance of getting out the group stages.
    I actually think that Sterling and Lallana might not start. Southgate will be going with 3 at the back and I think that at this point, Rashford is ahead of Sterling and Alli is ahead of Lallana in the pecking order. Kane will obviously start too.

I doubt that Southgate will put both Alli and Lallana in behind Kane, as there would be a lack of pace in the final third. I can't see Adam being used in a two man midfield either, even with three at the back.

It'll probably be Henderson alongside Dier in MF, with Walker or Trippier on the right and Rose on the left.

Injuries permitting, I think that the starting XI will be this:

---------------------------------Hart

-------------Jones-------------Stones------------Cahill

Walker------------Henderson----------Dier-----------------Rose

------------Rashford------------------------------Alli

---------------------------------Kane
    Last edited by Bewdleyfan; 15-11-17 at 12:25.

It's never going to be a great list of options but I'd take our best 13 or 14 or so, and pad out the squad with kids rather than the likes of Walcott, Wilshere, Delph and Drinkwater who are just never going to be good enough and don't get in their club teams. Chamberlain and Sturridge might be in that list too, depending on how the season pans out.

At least the kids might learn something, and bring a positive fearless attitude. Credit to Southgate for doing this in the friendlies, I just hope he doesn't turn his back on it when the old (but useless) guard declare themselves fit.

I actually think that Sterling and Lallana might not start. Southgate will be going with 3 at the back and I think that at this point, Rashford is ahead of Sterling and Alli is ahead of Lallana in the pecking order. Kane will obviously start too.

I doubt that Southgate will put both Alli and Lallana in behind Kane, as there would be a lack of pace in the final third. I can't see Adam being used in a two man midfield either, even with three at the back.

It'll probably be Henderson alongside Dier in MF, with Walker or Trippier on the right and Rose on the left.

Injuries permitting, I think that the starting XI will be this:

---------------------------------Hart

-------------Jones-------------Stones------------Cahill

Walker------------Henderson----------Dier-----------------Rose

------------Rashford------------------------------Alli

---------------------------------Kane
    So much for winning the WC

Quote Originally Posted by wavdeep View Post
    It's never going to be a great list of options but I'd take our best 13 or 14 or so, and pad out the squad with kids rather than the likes of Walcott, Wilshere, Delph and Drinkwater who are just never going to be good enough and don't get in their club teams. Chamberlain and Sturridge might be in that list too, depending on how the season pans out.

At least the kids might learn something, and bring a positive fearless attitude. Credit to Southgate for doing this in the friendlies, I just hope he doesn't turn his back on it when the old (but useless) guard declare themselves fit.
    Yeah, agree with this.

However, if Wilshere manages to break into the Arsenal side and (miraculously) stays free of injury throughout the season, he should be on the plane. A 100% fit and in form Wilshere is quite easily our best midfielder, in my opinion.

Wenger using Wilshere as a '10' may not work in his favour though, as Southgate has said that he sees him as more of a deep lying midfielder or CM.

But yeah, I'd rather see the England squad fleshed out with younger players than older players who are on the fringes of their club sides. I think Southgate already has 90% of his World Cup squad selected. Other than 3 or 4 spots, it pretty much picks itself though, to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    So much for winning the WC
    I don't think we'll win it. But I think the squad I posted above is capable of getting to the Quarters.

Hart, Butland, Pickford

Maguire, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain are far from certain picks, perhaps Sturridge too.

I'd pick Maguire ahead of Smalling, Keane and Gomez at this point.

If Wilshere proves hit fitness and manages to force his way into Arsenal's starting XI, he'll be on the plane. I guess his main competition will be Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek and Livermore.

We don't have too many options on the wing, so I think the Ox might force his way in. Southgate may view his versality as a useful attribute too. If Demarai Gray has a breakthrough season he might put pressure on Oxlade-Chamberlain. Lingard is another possibility too of course.

Up front, I think Sturridge gets in. But he's fourth choice at the moment. Southgate may decide that he wants a target man in the squad, with Abraham waiting in the wings. Alternatively, Defoe could also be an effective player off the bench.

I doubt that the players above will be starting in the World Cup, whilst some may not get many minutes at all. It may come down to who will have a good influence in the squad and not cause much trouble.
    I think that's the squad I'd take as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Al87 View Post
    I think that's the squad I'd take as well.
    Yeah. I've been reading today that Southgate sees Dier as a CB, and that he'll be used in the back three next summer. Taking this into account, I don't think it is necessary to take 5 CB's + Dier.

JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect

Hart, Butland, Pickford

Looks about right.

Vardy should be nowhere near the XI for me though.

And if we persist with 3-5-2 I'd have Ashley Young over Bertrand.

Quote Originally Posted by JurgenBelieveUs View Post
    Looks about right.

Vardy should be nowhere near the XI for me though.

And if we persist with 3-5-2 I'd have Ashley Young over Bertrand.
    Agree about Vardy, but I think he could make a good impact off the bench.

I'd be surprised if Southgate picked Young over Bertrand.

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    I'd go...

Hart

Gomez - Stones - Cahill

Walker ------------------------- Rose

Lallana - Dier - Hendo

Dele Alli

Kane

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post
    I'd go...

Hart

Gomez - Stones - Cahill

Lallana - Dier - Hendo

Dele Alli

Kane
    I'd like a bit more pace up top. But I don't think you'll be too far off with the above line up.

Still think Gomez will miss out on the squad though. Southgate has said that when fit, Jones is probably our best CB. So I think he'll be going. It'll probably be between Gomez and Maguire for that last CB spot in the squad.

I'd go...

Hart

Gomez - Stones - Cahill

Lallana - Dier - Hendo

Dele Alli

Kane
    Yeah, that huge gap between Rose and Walker is where every number ten in world football will play.

JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect
    I'd go...

Hart

Gomez - Stones - Cahill

Lallana - Dier - Hendo

Dele Alli

Kane
    3-5-2's a weird one for England, it makes us look solid (so far) but means giving up an attacking midfielder (where we're stacked) for a centre half (where we're really not).

I'd still go for

Butland

Walker - Stones - Cahill - Rose

Dier Hendo

Lallana Alli Rashford

Kane

Sterling can slot in, easily becomes 433 or 442, play Rashford and Kane together up top, whatever.

I'd like a bit more pace up top. But I don't think you'll be too far off with the above line up.

Still think Gomez will miss out on the squad though. Southgate has said that when fit, Jones is probably our best CB. So I think he'll be going. It'll probably be between Gomez and Maguire for that last CB spot in the squad.
    I think Gomez will go, he has done enough to earn that place and he is a very useful option to have as he can play along the whole back line which is very useful to have in tournament football and on the bench.

England WC squad sounds a bit toilet to me.