Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Owen should not be an LFC ambassador

1. #1 Default Michael Owen should not be an LFC ambassador 
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...hanks-13894141

I really ask myself why he even got the role in the first place.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by KoalaToure View Post
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...hanks-13894141

I really ask myself why he even got the role in the first place.
    He was 29, rafa didn't want him, Ferguson did - even if it probably was more to **** off lfc fans than his use to them (barring a derby winning goal).

It was shocking at the time but you have to keep a sense of perspective. He had to do what was right for him, same as 99 per cent of footballers.

He got the role partly to do with his great service to this club, and he deserves it.
    Last edited by LordJamieOfCarragher; 13-11-17 at 15:39.

Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    He was 29, rafa didn't want him, Ferguson did - even if it probably was more to **** off lfc fans than his use to them (barring a derby winning goal).

It was shocking at the time but you have to keep a sense of perspective. He had to do what was right for him, same as 99 per cent of footballers.

He got the role partly to do with his great service to this club, and he deserves it.
    Totally disagree.

I don't dismiss your comments about his reasoning to play for Utd but his service to the club doesn't warrant an ambassador role considering his decisions after.

Quote Originally Posted by mymagaveurmaadigonthenose View Post
    Totally disagree.

I don't dismiss your comments about his reasoning to play for Utd but his service to the club doesn't warrant an ambassador role considering his decisions after.
    He also tries to be "impartial" when commenting on games, so this makes him inappropriate for an ambassador's role. Impartiality is good for commenting, not for representing a club. It is hard for me to get his nasal voice out of my head, especially when he wore the Red Devil shirt.

The manner of his move to Madrid always angered me more than his move to United.

Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post

I dont think that that justifies anything for him. He had other options than united. Benitez didn’t want him as he had left him high in 2004 and not held out for a move back a year later before agreeing to go to Geordies when Benitez again wanted him. Third time - no chance.
    Should not have any role with LFC but when do LFC ever care about fans opinions.
    We have infinitalely more suitable candidates than Owen to represent us. - Daniel Agger for me.

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    I dont think that that justifies anything for him. He had other options than united. Benitez didn’t want him as he had left him high in 2004 and not held out for a move back a year later before agreeing to go to Geordies when Benitez again wanted him. Third time - no chance.
    Should not have any role with LFC but when do LFC ever care about fans opinions.
    We have infinitalely more suitable candidates than Owen to represent us. - Daniel Agger for me.
    I get your point but unfortunately footballers do not think tribalistically like us fans; the lad divides opinions but for me he gave us his best years from a junior age and he won us cups and was pure magic; gutted when he went to Madrid but such is life, Keegan, Rush, Macca all left for the bright lights of overseas; it's well known he wanted to come back but honestly anyone who can't see the obvious in a choice of Hull, Wigan or Man United at the age of 29 needs their bumps feeling.

Should he be an ambassador for the club, possibly not, do I care, not really, have I got any beef with Owen, nope. I get why some dislike him but Owen was *********** brilliant for us, I still well up when I watch the goal in Cardiff in 2001; one of the best days following the club; corr little Michael Owen won us the cup brilliant stuff; i think sometimes people look for negative stuff all the time..
    dont look back in anger.

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    I get your point but unfortunately footballers do not think tribalistically like us fans; the lad divides opinions but for me he gave us his best years from a junior age and he won us cups and was pure magic; gutted when he went to Madrid but such is life, Keegan, Rush, Macca all left for the bright lights of overseas; it's well known he wanted to come back but honestly anyone who can't see the obvious in a choice of Hull, Wigan or Man United at the age of 29 needs their bumps feeling.

Should he be an ambassador for the club, possibly not, do I care, not really, have I got any beef with Owen, nope. I get why some dislike him but Owen was *********** brilliant for us, I still well up when I watch the goal in Cardiff in 2001; one of the best days following the club; corr little Michael Owen won us the cup brilliant stuff; i think sometimes people look for negative stuff all the time..

This. Exactly. Forget the rest, just think of all his goals for us. Fans also have double standards. A certain Luis Suarez left us for Barca but no one criticises that.

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    I've never lost any sleep over it but I do think he was an odd choice and yes,I agree there are plenty of more suitable candidates out there.

How do the club remove him from his role at this point? It's just going to cause more negative publicity.

Bad move from the start. Someone should have known better, and should have known the feelings towards the player.

But how do you change that without it reflecting poorly on the club?

I'd like to see Xabi and Garcia offered roles. Absolute class acts.

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    How do the club remove him from his role at this point? It's just going to cause more negative publicity.

Bad move from the start. Someone should have known better, and should have known the feelings towards the player.

If we offer Xabi a role I want it to be a technical or coaching role. I can't quantify it or back it up. But I think he'd be a brilliant coach. He just strikes me as the type.

Make everyone an ambassador to effectively make it a redundant role.
    And then create a new cringeworthy role called "Club torchbearer" and give it to select few.

What did he say? I see all the backlash but without watching the video (coz I'm at work) I don't know why the anger.
    Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Great player for us at his peak. Came through the ranks to become a global superstar. Made dreams possible and glad to have him as an Ambassador of our club. Personally think people need to get over it. He's trying to do something good, and he was one of the main reasons we won the treble in 2001.

Sensational player who lit up a world cup. Gutted how he left us but don't begrudge him joining the scum. What other offers did he have on the table? With Suarez and Torres as well Owen was the best striker in the world when he was with Liverpool. We've been lucky to watch all 3 play.

He's a ****

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post

Luis García would've been a far better joice. Loved by the fans & a genuinely nice guy.

I can't bear him, I don't value his opinion, he is a poor ambassador for our club.

To be an ambassador for this club you have to at least be loyal to the club. He isn't.

the fact that he moved to united doesnt mean we have to hate him, but to make him ambassador is mind boggling.

he is no devil, but he is def not one of us through and through now

I don't have any issues with the fact that he played for United, but there's lots of other ex-players that I think would be much better suited to the role. John Barnes, for example.

I just watched the (short) video. I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

It's not like he chose Man Utd over us. It was either them or Hull City. "Player choses to join big club that can pay big wages." Shocking.
    Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Megabytes View Post
    I just watched the (short) video. I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

It's not like he chose Man Utd over us. It was either them or Hull City. "Player choses to join big club that can pay big wages." Shocking.
    It's nothing to do with the fact that he joined United, more the fact that when on tv as a pundit he refers to our club as "Liverpool" and often refers to United as "we" that says it all for me.

OWEN OUT!

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Give the job to John Barnes.

Quote Originally Posted by 77red96 View Post
    It's nothing to do with the fact that he joined United, more the fact that when on tv as a pundit he refers to our club as "Liverpool" and often refers to United as "we" that says it all for me.

OWEN OUT!
    Can't say I ever noticed that?

Him referring to Utd as we!

Great player. Self interested and played for man ure. Not ambassador material. But they can’t sack him. Best would be if they quietly give him less and less to do without any fanfare.

Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    Agree 100%

I don’t understand why he hasn’t been one for years.

Just to reiterate my thoughts...

I have no issue with his decision to move to Utd and I couldn't care less who are what he refers us/we or they too if he was just another pundit on T.V but he isn't. He is the ambassador of Liverpool Football Club which in itself automatically holds a 'we/us' when discussing any football matters and unfortunately the way he presents and articulates himself plus the decision to move to our biggest , hated rival completely negates any justification of his role as Ambassador. It's a terrible decision by the club.

Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    Barnes is the perfect example of how to conduct yourself in an ambassador role and he isn't even one.

Quote Originally Posted by 77red96 View Post

OWEN OUT!
    He was referring to us as we the other weeks against Maribor.

No!

Give the job to John Arne Riise instead.