Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 212

Thread: VVD - this January????

  1. #1 Default VVD - this January???? 
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    19,553
    Looks like the dust has settled on this one and by the sounds of it Southampton will let him go if the price is right. That price is believed to be in the region of 60-70m.

    Will we pay it though?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #2  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,707
    We'll get him. Money is not obstacle.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #3  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28,326
    Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    Looks like the dust has settled on this one and by the sounds of it Southampton will let him go if the price is right. That price is believed to be in the region of 60-70m.

    Will we pay it though?
    Wasn't worth 70m yesterday - as seen by his match rating

    Van Dijk had his moments but fell asleep completely at times. Perhaps the occasion got to him. His decision to step out and attempt to mark Firmino for the second goal was unfathomable and vacated the space in behind for Salah to score.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #4  
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    19,553
    Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    We'll get him. Money is not obstacle.
    I'm not sure I share your optimism mate but I hope you're right. It's a lot of money for a defender and it would smash our transfer record by some distance if we managed to get it done. I think it would send out a massive statement of intent also.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #5  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Wasn't worth 70m yesterday - as seen by his match rating

    Van Dijk had his moments but fell asleep completely at times. Perhaps the occasion got to him. His decision to step out and attempt to mark Firmino for the second goal was unfathomable and vacated the space in behind for Salah to score.
    I think he deliberately did that, or was expecting others to step up with him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #6  
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    We'll get him. Money is not obstacle.
    If the rumours are true that Southampton want Ings it puts something else in our favour.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #7  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    I'm not sure I share your optimism mate but I hope you're right. It's a lot of money for a defender and it would smash our transfer record by some distance if we managed to get it done. I think it would send out a massive statement of intent also.
    Pay in instalments.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #8  
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    19,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Wasn't worth 70m yesterday - as seen by his match rating

    Van Dijk had his moments but fell asleep completely at times. Perhaps the occasion got to him. His decision to step out and attempt to mark Firmino for the second goal was unfathomable and vacated the space in behind for Salah to score.
    Yeah he wasn't at his best yesterday. Still much much better than what we have though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #9  
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    19,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    If the rumours are true that Southampton want Ings it puts something else in our favour.
    Where did you see that mate?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #10  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    If the rumours are true that Southampton want Ings it puts something else in our favour.
    Really? That's a good news then.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #11  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    17,360
    Great if it happens, but after the summer I wouldn't be getting my hopes up.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #12  
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Wasn't worth 70m yesterday - as seen by his match rating

    Van Dijk had his moments but fell asleep completely at times. Perhaps the occasion got to him. His decision to step out and attempt to mark Firmino for the second goal was unfathomable and vacated the space in behind for Salah to score.
    He looked uninterested and unhappy to be at Anfield in a Southampton kit. He's had ridiculous performances against us in the past, when he's motivated he's a tank and a leader in defence. My point still stands, do I think he's worth 70 million? No. Then again, the fee is conditioned by the market, I'm not paying it and our manager wants him so I hope we do what's necessary to bring him in. To continue through the season with Klavan, Lovren and Matip is unsustainable.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #13  
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,854
    Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    Yeah he wasn't at his best yesterday. Still much much better than what we have though.
    He has leadership qualities which we really need at the back.Getting him in Jan would be amazing.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #14  
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    19,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    He has leadership qualities which we really need at the back.Getting him in Jan would be amazing.
    Agreed.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #15  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,725
    Not if Lovren has anything to say about it, judging by his crunching tackle on him yesterday.

    VVD would probably spell the beginning of the end for Dejan at Anfield if it ever transpires. Not that I'm complaining of course.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #16  
    White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,107
    Don't bother wasting anymore time with him. Just go for someone else.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #17  
    +Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    11,144
    Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    He looked uninterested and unhappy to be at Anfield in a Southampton kit. He's had ridiculous performances against us in the past, when he's motivated he's a tank and a leader in defence. My point still stands, do I think he's worth 70 million? No. Then again, the fee is conditioned by the market, I'm not paying it and our manager wants him so I hope we do what's necessary to bring him in. To continue through the season with Klavan, Lovren and Matip is unsustainable.
    Everything you said was correct, Van Dijk most of time is unplayable, the way he dealt with Mane last season, catching up with his electric pace and taking the ball off him.

    I heard he was quick but to catch up with Mane when he was in full flow? that was very impressive. He isn't worth 70 million, I would say 50 million is a fair price.

    He is a top class centre back, we need him desperately.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #18  
    fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    41,582
    Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    Great if it happens, but after the summer I wouldn't be getting my hopes up.
    never getting hopes up in january again.. time after time when we ve had the opportunity to kick on and challenge for th title they have failed to secure anyone in january..
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #19  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,328
    I think we will get him. The messages coming from Southampton suggest they will cash in on him in January. When you think about it Southampton are not the richest of clubs so when someone offers 70 odd milion for one of your players, you take it. I think the manager more than the board would like to sell him because with that money, he can invest in other positions and he knows it, they would be silly not to take the money.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #20  
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,677
    He wasn't brilliant yesterday, was caught out of position for the second goal, but he has the profile of a great defender: tall, strength, pace, comfortable on the ball.

    Under Klopp he will be better. There is a reason why Jurgen went for him, specific traits that suit his style of play.

    We will probably pay around 50 million for him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #21  
    canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    19,258
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanBro View Post
    He wasn't brilliant yesterday, was caught out of position for the second goal, but he has the profile of a great defender: tall, strength, pace, comfortable on the ball.

    Under Klopp he will be better. There is a reason why Jurgen went for him, specific traits that suit his style of play.

    We will probably pay around 50 million for him.
    This. But I don't think it will happen in January.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #22  
    steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    12,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Wasn't worth 70m yesterday - as seen by his match rating

    Van Dijk had his moments but fell asleep completely at times. Perhaps the occasion got to him. His decision to step out and attempt to mark Firmino for the second goal was unfathomable and vacated the space in behind for Salah to score.
    If you were basing his value entirely on yesterday's performance (are you?) then no, having said that he's not 'worth' 70m even on a good day, but if you're going to judge players purely on yesterday then you'll surely have no issue keeping Lovren as first choice because he didn't put a foot wrong, surely well worth 30m right?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #23  
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    If you were basing his value entirely on yesterday's performance (are you?) then no, having said that he's not 'worth' 70m even on a good day, but if you're going to judge players purely on yesterday then you'll surely have no issue keeping Lovren as first choice because he didn't put a foot wrong, surely well worth 30m right?
    Exactly.

    If you're basing it on yesterday, Lovren was the one that looked like a 70 million rated centre back and Van Dijk looked like Phil Jones. However this couldn't be further from the truth. Van Dijk is quality and does posess the specific criteria Klopp is looking for. He's unbelievably strong, lightning quick and 6ft 4.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #24  
    Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    18,059
    Would be a great signing, I thought we would get him in summer but it didn't happen so fingers crossed he will come in January.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #25  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,407
    Its very possible Soton will be rooted in the bottom 3 come 1st of January so that could have a serious impact on a possible deal.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #26  
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,273
    he played bad to lower his price in january for us
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #27  
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    25,504
    He's the perfect fit for the kind of football Klopp wants to play, I can't see us getting him in January at all, just like I can't see us selling Coutinho in this period as well.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #28  
    TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,143
    Quote Originally Posted by rederman View Post
    Its very possible Soton will be rooted in the bottom 3 come 1st of January so that could have a serious impact on a possible deal.
    Not so sure about that.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #29  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,407
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedByAgger View Post
    Not so sure about that.
    Is that just a personal hunch, or did you have a look at their fixture list up to January 1st ?

    Utd,
    City.
    Arsenal,
    Spurs ,
    Chelsea ,
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #30  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    16,693
    Maybe for 35m
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •