Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VVD - this January????

1. #1 Default VVD - this January???? 
    Looks like the dust has settled on this one and by the sounds of it Southampton will let him go if the price is right. That price is believed to be in the region of 60-70m.

Will we pay it though?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

We'll get him. Money is not obstacle.

Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    Looks like the dust has settled on this one and by the sounds of it Southampton will let him go if the price is right. That price is believed to be in the region of 60-70m.

Will we pay it though?
    Wasn't worth 70m yesterday - as seen by his match rating

Van Dijk had his moments but fell asleep completely at times. Perhaps the occasion got to him. His decision to step out and attempt to mark Firmino for the second goal was unfathomable and vacated the space in behind for Salah to score.

Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    I'm not sure I share your optimism mate but I hope you're right. It's a lot of money for a defender and it would smash our transfer record by some distance if we managed to get it done. I think it would send out a massive statement of intent also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post

Van Dijk had his moments but fell asleep completely at times. Perhaps the occasion got to him. His decision to step out and attempt to mark Firmino for the second goal was unfathomable and vacated the space in behind for Salah to score.
    I think he deliberately did that, or was expecting others to step up with him.

Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    If the rumours are true that Southampton want Ings it puts something else in our favour.

I'm not sure I share your optimism mate but I hope you're right. It's a lot of money for a defender and it would smash our transfer record by some distance if we managed to get it done. I think it would send out a massive statement of intent also.
    Pay in instalments.

Yeah he wasn't at his best yesterday. Still much much better than what we have though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    If the rumours are true that Southampton want Ings it puts something else in our favour.
    Where did you see that mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    Really? That's a good news then.

Great if it happens, but after the summer I wouldn't be getting my hopes up.

He looked uninterested and unhappy to be at Anfield in a Southampton kit. He's had ridiculous performances against us in the past, when he's motivated he's a tank and a leader in defence. My point still stands, do I think he's worth 70 million? No. Then again, the fee is conditioned by the market, I'm not paying it and our manager wants him so I hope we do what's necessary to bring him in. To continue through the season with Klavan, Lovren and Matip is unsustainable.

Yeah he wasn't at his best yesterday. Still much much better than what we have though.
    He has leadership qualities which we really need at the back.Getting him in Jan would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    He has leadership qualities which we really need at the back.Getting him in Jan would be amazing.
    Agreed.

Not if Lovren has anything to say about it, judging by his crunching tackle on him yesterday.

VVD would probably spell the beginning of the end for Dejan at Anfield if it ever transpires. Not that I'm complaining of course.

White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Don't bother wasting anymore time with him. Just go for someone else.

+Shriekback+ is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    He looked uninterested and unhappy to be at Anfield in a Southampton kit. He's had ridiculous performances against us in the past, when he's motivated he's a tank and a leader in defence. My point still stands, do I think he's worth 70 million? No. Then again, the fee is conditioned by the market, I'm not paying it and our manager wants him so I hope we do what's necessary to bring him in. To continue through the season with Klavan, Lovren and Matip is unsustainable.
    Everything you said was correct, Van Dijk most of time is unplayable, the way he dealt with Mane last season, catching up with his electric pace and taking the ball off him.

I heard he was quick but to catch up with Mane when he was in full flow? that was very impressive. He isn't worth 70 million, I would say 50 million is a fair price.

He is a top class centre back, we need him desperately.

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    Great if it happens, but after the summer I wouldn't be getting my hopes up.
    never getting hopes up in january again.. time after time when we ve had the opportunity to kick on and challenge for th title they have failed to secure anyone in january..

I think we will get him. The messages coming from Southampton suggest they will cash in on him in January. When you think about it Southampton are not the richest of clubs so when someone offers 70 odd milion for one of your players, you take it. I think the manager more than the board would like to sell him because with that money, he can invest in other positions and he knows it, they would be silly not to take the money.

He wasn't brilliant yesterday, was caught out of position for the second goal, but he has the profile of a great defender: tall, strength, pace, comfortable on the ball.

Under Klopp he will be better. There is a reason why Jurgen went for him, specific traits that suit his style of play.

We will probably pay around 50 million for him.

canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanBro View Post
    He wasn't brilliant yesterday, was caught out of position for the second goal, but he has the profile of a great defender: tall, strength, pace, comfortable on the ball.

Under Klopp he will be better. There is a reason why Jurgen went for him, specific traits that suit his style of play.

We will probably pay around 50 million for him.
    This. But I don't think it will happen in January.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect

If you were basing his value entirely on yesterday's performance (are you?) then no, having said that he's not 'worth' 70m even on a good day, but if you're going to judge players purely on yesterday then you'll surely have no issue keeping Lovren as first choice because he didn't put a foot wrong, surely well worth 30m right?

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    If you were basing his value entirely on yesterday's performance (are you?) then no, having said that he's not 'worth' 70m even on a good day, but if you're going to judge players purely on yesterday then you'll surely have no issue keeping Lovren as first choice because he didn't put a foot wrong, surely well worth 30m right?
    Exactly.

If you're basing it on yesterday, Lovren was the one that looked like a 70 million rated centre back and Van Dijk looked like Phil Jones. However this couldn't be further from the truth. Van Dijk is quality and does posess the specific criteria Klopp is looking for. He's unbelievably strong, lightning quick and 6ft 4.

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Would be a great signing, I thought we would get him in summer but it didn't happen so fingers crossed he will come in January.

Its very possible Soton will be rooted in the bottom 3 come 1st of January so that could have a serious impact on a possible deal.

he played bad to lower his price in january for us

He's the perfect fit for the kind of football Klopp wants to play, I can't see us getting him in January at all, just like I can't see us selling Coutinho in this period as well.

TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by rederman View Post
    Its very possible Soton will be rooted in the bottom 3 come 1st of January so that could have a serious impact on a possible deal.
    Not so sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedByAgger View Post
    Not so sure about that.
    Is that just a personal hunch, or did you have a look at their fixture list up to January 1st ?

Utd,
    City.
    Arsenal,
    Spurs ,
    Chelsea ,

Maybe for 35m