Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emre Can and why I'm really not bothered if he leaves

1. #1 Default Emre Can and why I'm really not bothered if he leaves 
    I've thought long before this Can contract situation arose that he's been massively overrated by our fanbase.

I think if Can was English and gave the performances he does for us the attitudes towards him would be very different. As it is for a lot of people though, it's "exotic" to hype up the German international and crucify the England international for largely the same performances.

People try to convince themselves that Can is on another level to Henderson but he really isn't. The reality is neither of these two should be anywhere near the starting XI at Liverpool. Both are limited, inconsistent and techically below par.

Can is into his 4th season at the club and still there is more questions than answers. What his his best position for one?
    The reality is he's neither. He's a Jack of all trades who gives you a little bit of everything but a lot of nothing.

Rodgers got slaughtered for playing him as a CB but the reality is that it as probably the most consistent he's played for us. Certainly the only time I can remember him playing 3 good games in a row.

It's time we started looking at reality with Can. He's not Luis Suarez level, he's not even Sterling/Coutinho level. Hes an average player who's acting the big time Charlie.

It looks like he'll get his move to Juve and well done to him.

But I'll put a wager on here than within 18 months he won't be a starting XI player there.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Acumen is online now First team regular
    The issue with Can really isn't about him leaving the club. The issue is about the contract not being signed and the precedent its setting and what this will mean going forwards with regards to not just existing contract discussions, but also future discussions with regards to players we hope to sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    The issue with Can really isn't about him leaving the club. The issue is about the contract not being signed and the precedent its setting and what this will mean going forwards with regards to not just existing contract discussions, but also future discussions with regards to players we hope to sign.
    That's the players fault though.

We offered him a contract 12 months ago - when he was playing absolute rot btw - and he turned it down.

I'm no fan of FSG or Michael Edwards but I wouldn't blame them for this.

Acumen is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    That's the players fault though.

We offered him a contract 12 months ago - when he was playing absolute rot btw - and he turned it down.

I'm no fan of FSG or Michael Edwards but I wouldn't blame them for this.
    I'm not talking about Can as much as I'm talking about the issue of the Release Clause. Assuming that this is the reason why the contract has yet to be signed.

I've thought long before this Can contract situation arose that he's been massively overrated by our fanbase.

I think if Can was English and gave the performances he does for us the attitudes towards him would be very different. As it is for a lot of people though, it's "exotic" to hype up the German international and crucify the England international for largely the same performances.

People try to convince themselves that Can is on another level to Henderson but he really isn't. The reality is neither of these two should be anywhere near the starting XI at Liverpool. Both are limited, inconsistent and techically below par.

Can is into his 4th season at the club and still there is more questions than answers. What his his best position for one?
    The reality is he's neither. He's a Jack of all trades who gives you a little bit of everything but a lot of nothing.

Rodgers got slaughtered for playing him as a CB but the reality is that it as probably the most consistent he's played for us. Certainly the only time I can remember him playing 3 good games in a row.

It's time we started looking at reality with Can. He's not Luis Suarez level, he's not even Sterling/Coutinho level. Hes an average player who's acting the big time Charlie.

But I'll put a wager on here than within 18 months he won't be a starting XI player there.

You try to hard.

Why do Juve want him then? They've obviously done their homework on him and like what they see. German international as well. Shame to see him go, imo.

Emre Can has been far better than Wijnaldum and Henderson this season and for that alone I'll be very sad to see him leave. The best central midfielder at the club easy. Lallana can't play in a two.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukadamainman View Post
    Why do Juve want him then? They've obviously done their homework on him and like what they see. German international as well. Shame to see him go, imo.
    As usual with Italian clubs. They see a bargain. He will cost them just a signing on fee and wages. In return he gets a release clause. He is the epitome of the mercenary footballer.

Not my cup of tea, but don’t expect any loyalty from a Turkish-German to an English or Italian club. He doesn’t have any personal reason to love us or Juve.

RedInferno74 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by aGothAndaJock View Post
    Emre Can has been far better than Wijnaldum and Henderson this season and for that alone I'll be very sad to see him leave. The best central midfielder at the club easy. Lallana can't play in a two.
    It really is that simple.

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    In the right setting Can will do well IMO. Yes, he's inconsistent at times, but he's 23 for god's sake.

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    One thing Emre Can didn't do is throw his rattle, agitate and hand in a transfer request.

He's been totally above board.

Luis-Garcia's-left-peg is online now Directors Box
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Mike View Post
    One thing Emre Can didn't do is throw his rattle, agitate and hand in a transfer request.

He's been totally above board.
    Why would he, he knows his contract is running out and holds all the aces

He's never been that good.

I have a problem with a 23 year old being compared to someone who is supposed to be at his peak ,Coutinho didn't show consistency until last season and he has been here for 6 years

RedInferno74 is online now Academy prospect

lol.

I'd rather the other 3 left before him tbh but such as life.

Not the biggest blow but him leaving for nothing doesn't really help us in anyway

Its always sad when a player leaves this club before their potential is fulfilled and, if he goes, that will be the case with Can. Some look at the negatives and say he's our best midfielder. Others say he's average.Does some good and some bad things.

Its not about if he goes, its about how the club moves forward. To be successful you need to strengthen your weakest positions whilst also maintaining or improving on your strengths. Does Can's departure weaken a position we are strong in? Is his loss a crippling blow? This club hasn't won anything recently. There are very, very few players who should cause consternation among our fans their desire is to leave. That isn't to say we don't have good players, we do. But their emotional attachment to our club isn't the same as ours. He's honoured and we've honoured the contract. End of story.

As fans we can only ask that the club do everything in its power to bring in as good, if not a better player. Brutal I know but cold reality. This club has had many, many fantastic midfielders represent it. Emre Can won't be in the forefront of fans minds if he leaves as being in the upper echelons. It may be a case of what might have been... we only know that when his career finishes. If he goes 'Thanks and good luck'. If he stays hope he becomes consistently good instead of consistently inconsistent.

Its criminal if he leaves and we don't get a penny for developing him. I personally like him as a player . Always gives his all and you cant ask for more than that. Even if we put a release clause in his contract we come out of it with 25 million or so. Thats got to be better than nothing. The fact that we didn't give him the release clause won't stop other players from asking for one.

A regular player in a side that are world champions is not comparable to Hendo or England. Its like comparing City to to a side not even expected to get top four.

Can doesn't play as well as he can here, we don't have the system that suits him and he is never going to be the star in the middle anyway. He is a player that is great to have in a squad but he wants first team football. He needs a side that suits him and he is clever if he thinks that place is Italy. Its a pity of he goes really, the likes of him and Hendo are handy to have in a squad

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    I have a problem with a 23 year old being compared to someone who is supposed to be at his peak ,Coutinho didn't show consistency until last season and he has been here for 6 years
    He hasn't improved at all in four years. Time to cut bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Roshi98 View Post
    Yes, he’s young and the prospect of him becoming a consistently good player still is a possibility.

It is though slightly concerning that his inconsistency is still a hurdle. Go or stay, I feel we can cope.

No one seems to answer why Juventus want him and not the “superior” Hendo? So many on here say Hendo is better but I don’t see Juve or Bayern sniffing around him....

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Roshi98 View Post
    He hasn't improved lol

I wonder if Henderson or Wijnaldum be linked with Juventus or City.
    ?

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    We need better. Keita is one. We need to find one more.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    I agree our midfield is crap full stop. I'd replace all three.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    Klopp's hoping to find Goretzka gift wrapped under his Chrimbo tree. I know its between us and Arsenal (I mean London)... we'll soon know if the lad has common sense.

I'm hoping he agrees to join from next season (like Matip did) wouldn't want him turning up and learning a whole bunch of Saturday Night Fever pointing from Henderson.

Pre-season next summer is going to be poor (for all, not just us) with the summer footie activities and all. Hoping all of our lads come back injury free and fighting fit.

If Goretzka and Keita can hit it off in training, Emerson and Van Djik show their worth in defence, Clyne and Lallana get a clean bill of health and Hendo finds a bench next season could be fun.

Not like the Moneybags-Man-City-Buy-The-League-Again-Unchallenged-Bore-Fest were having to put up with (the only thing less boring than Acumen & MAP's Podcasts lol).
    Last edited by Joe-El; 2-12-17 at 09:06.

Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    No one seems to answer why Juventus want him and not the “superior” Hendo? So many on here say Hendo is better but I don’t see Juve or Bayern sniffing around him....
    They don't have to pay a cent for him

Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    If Henderson let his contract run down... next stop the JobCentre on Breckfield Road North.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-El View Post
    If Henderson let his contract run down... next stop the JobCentre on Breckfield Road North.
    Nah he'll be playing at WBA, Leicester, West Ham, Burnley etc...
    ?

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    They don't have to pay a cent for him
    That's definitely part of the attraction.