Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How good is our attack?

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    As an aside, I do think it's interesting that we could quite feasibly put out what could be considered our best XI leaving us with a best bench from: (GK), TAA, Gomez, Hendo, Milner, Lallana, Ox, Sturridge and Solanke - 8 outfielders, all English.

I don't know if that's by design, or rather how much it is, but I think there's a lot to be said for that.
    If you extend the criteria to include British players you could add Ward, Woodburn and Robertson to that list also.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by lfcstlouis View Post
    Guy, I haven't omitted anything. You're still not getting it. Saying 'you've selectively omitted' something would mean that I picked and chose what I'd take from a sentence or post. The fact you asked how much he sold him for in a video game, and me saying 'they made 3 offers and the last one was 150M, that would be a starting place.' for how much he would go for next summer.

Reading comprehension improves with practice.

Either way, if we don't win anything, he'll go in the summer. Which will be a bummer, but as long as we have players of similar quality lined up, we'll be fine and keep moving.
    I think it's you that needs to learn the meaning of phrases. Maybe 'selectively omitted' is too advanced a term for you. Maybe I should just simplified it by saying' left out'. Which is what you actually did. You LEFT OUT the part that the bids from Barcelona were rejected. That's unless you actually believe a club has no right to reject bids?

As for Coutinho going in the summer.? That takes me back to the previous paragrah. A BID WOULD HAVE TO BE ACCEPTED FIRST. I guess you don't understand that concept either.

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    If you extend the criteria to include British players you could add Ward, Woodburn and Robertson to that list also.
    Yeah, reasonable. As I say, I think there's quite a bit to be said for it.

There's a certain amount of reliability I think you can get from English players, who understand the league intimately, that you can't necessarily rely on from foreigners - and certainly with the group that we have, for most of whom the phrase 'honest pros' could almost have been invented.

They are probably also a bit less likely to get itchy feet - the ability to keep hold of quality players in squad roles is a huge advantage, in that it allows you to really focus your energy and resources on 'star' players in the market, and also has the benefit of reducing turnover which impacts on the general harmony/understanding across the squad.

It's quite telling though of the overall quality of English players that the top clubs are finding it difficult to assemble a core of worthwhile home grown players, and those they have are largely squaddies. Obviously there are exceptions, but not too many.

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Nope, Robertson is part of that best XI, not the bench.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Nope, Robertson is part of that best XI, not the bench.
    In your opinion (and mine too), but clearly not Klopp's. Plus it's the 'arguable' best 11, you could make a case for a few others too but it's not really the point.

How good is our attack?

Okily Dokily neighbor-ino

Our attacking overall was pretty good despite the lack of goal scoring opportunities, Allardyce's side tried to force us into central areas when we were in possession. Ox helped our attack, a nice whipped cross across the face, the ball was harder to control because of the wet slippery pitch conditions.