Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How good is our attack?

1. #1 Default How good is our attack? 
    This season so far: Salah: 17 goals, 4 assists
    Firmino: 11 goals, 4 assists
    Coutinho: 5 goals, 6 assists
    Mane: 5 goals, 4 assists

Our attack is definitely right up there with the best in the league. So much pace and creativity in the front line.
    So how does it compares to City's attack? I for one don't see much difference.
    City have been consistently better throughout but given current form you could argue we aren't far off them.
    Last edited by Anil_Y2j; 3-12-17 at 14:26. Reason: ..
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Another stat that shows how good Firmino has been for us this season....His combined total of assist and goals is 16 in all comp. whereas his rivals have...
    Lacazette - 8
    Morata - 14
    Agüero - 14
    Lukaku - 15

Salah has turned our attack from being pretty good to being one of the best out there atm.

And I reckon it's going to get better, can't wait for Mané to get up to full tilt again.

Some craic then.

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    Our attack is absolutely amazing, it's so hard for a defence when goals are coming from different players compared to having a striker that scores nearly all the clubs goals.

I don't think we know yet, the west ham game gave us a good idea however.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    Another stat that shows how good Firmino has been for us this season....His combined total of assist and goals is 16 in all comp. whereas his rivals have...
    Lacazette - 8
    Morata - 14
    Agüero - 14
    Lukaku - 15
    11 goals in all competitions is a very respectable return given we're not yet halfway through the season - he's on course for somewhere close to 25 for the season. He got 12 in all competitions last season.

Considering how much more he offers than just goals if he can add those kind of numbers too maybe he can truly silence the calls for a 20+ CF.

Our attack is definitely right up there with the best in the league. So much pace and creativity in the front line.
    City have been consistently better throughout but given current form you could argue we aren't far off them.
    I was unaware Firmino had scored so many for some reason, that’s crazy.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    11 goals in all competitions is a very respectable return given we're not yet halfway through the season - he's on course for somewhere close to 25 for the season. He got 12 in all competitions last season.

Considering how much more he offers than just goals if he can add those kind of numbers too maybe he can truly silence the calls for a 20+ CF.
    Said before the season I expected him to hit over 20 in all comps this season, and I think he will. He could do with a few more in the league though, he's actually got more in the CL this season.

Lacazette - 8
    Morata - 14
    Agüero - 14
    Lukaku - 15
    Do you feel like breaking those numbers down?

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Said before the season I expected him to hit over 20 in all comps this season, and I think he will. He could do with a few more in the league though, he's actually got more in the CL this season.
    I think I'll be happy enough if he finishes with 12-13 each in the league and CL.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    I think I'll be happy enough if he finishes with 12-13 each in the league and CL.
    13 in the CL would be quite something, Messi has only managed 14.

Would also probably mean we would have got pretty far in the competition, unless he bangs in 7 against Spartak...

Overall though, he's got just over 1 in 2 this season which is perfectly acceptable for a striker, and like you say that's without counting his assists and everything else he brings to the table, if he can keep that up (and Salah continues as he has been) don't think we'll hear much complaining about the lack of a goalscorer. Having said that I wouldn't be opposed to someone like Auba in Jan...

In recent times, we've often relied on one or two great attackers. As a front four, I think you have to go back to Aldridge, Barnes, Beardsley, Houghton for an attack this good.

*********** good!

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    Do you feel like breaking those numbers down?
    Aguero -12 goals 2 assists
    Lukaku- 11 goals 4 assists
    Moratta- 10 goals 4 assists
    Lacazette-8 goals 1(?) assist

Don't you think 13-14 goals in cl is a bit too much to ask , Stuzza?

Nice one, thanks!

Firmino 2nd in goals with that lot is very impressive, and possibly offers more than the lot combined off the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    Nice one, thanks!

Firmino 2nd in goals with that lot is very impressive, and possibly offers more than the lot combined off the ball.
    I agree he's terrific.Such a intelligent player with impressive work-rate to go with.

I agree he's terrific.Such a intelligent player with impressive work-rate to go with.
    His performances often go under the radar, which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sgRED View Post
    His performances often go under the radar, which is a good thing.
    He's probably considered the lesser threat of our fearsome foursome. They're quite a handful.

He's probably considered the lesser threat of our fearsome foursome. They're quite a handful.
    Exactly.

Without his clever movement it doesn't work as well as it does with him in it.

He's like Beardsley in the Beardsley, Barnes and Aldridge side of 1987/88.

City almost play with a front 5 of Silva, KDB, Sterling, Sane and Aguero/Jesus.

We've only quite rarely played all 4 of Coutinho, Mane, Salah and Firmino - and Lallana hasn't had a chance at all this season.

IF we can get all 5 on the pitch I agree that there's very little between them as attacking forces. And with Keita on his way.

Perhaps the biggest difference is in their ages - Jesus, Sane and Sterling being as good as they are at 20, 21 & 22 is a pretty scary prospect. The potential is frightening.

Even having said that, our guys are also only 25 and should still have their best years ahead of them.

If we can somehow sort out our midfield & defense we will be serious contenders.

Firmino has scored 11 goals this season, but 6 of them in Europe and only 5 in 14 league apps. His 6 in Europe have come against Hoffenheim, 3 vs Sevilla and 2 vs Maribor so a mixed bag of opponents

In the league he scored a pen against Watford, a goal against Arsenal, Huddersfield and 2 vs Brighton. That means 6+ of his goals have come against newly promoted sides or far from the cream of Europe.

In answer to the thread title, it is very good when it fires but we went through was it 3 games earlier in the season where we had like 87 shots on goal and scored like 3 or 4.... Our defence gets a lot of flak and to some degree rightly so, but the side has scored 1 goal or less in SEVEN league games this season which isn't the defence's fault....
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Firmino has scored 11 goals this season, but 6 of them in Europe and only 5 in 14 league apps. His 6 in Europe have come against Hoffenheim, 3 vs Sevilla and 2 vs Maribor so a mixed bag of opponents

In the league he scored a pen against Watford, a goal against Arsenal, Huddersfield and 2 vs Brighton. That means 6+ of his goals have come against newly promoted sides or far from the cream of Europe.

In answer to the thread title, it is very good when it fires but we went through was it 3 games earlier in the season where we had like 87 shots on goal and scored like 3 or 4.... Our defence gets a lot of flak and to some degree rightly so, but the side has scored 1 goal or less in SEVEN league games this season which isn't the defence's fault....
    You're missing the point.

The fact is, unlike Spurs who are largely dependent in Kane and Alli, we're not reliant on just two players. Look at yesterday as an example? Mane never got off the bench and Salah didn't score, instead Bobby and Phil ran the show. It could and this is could be this week that Salah and Mane are the star performers.

We're fluid and multi-dimensional. If one of our fearsome foursome doesn't do the opposition....then one of the others will. It may be the quick feet of Coutinho, it may be the pace and directness of Salah, it may be the power and brute force of Mane or the energy and intelligent movement of Firmino.

White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    It's excellent, although I'd still prefer us to sign an outright clinical striker.

Our defence however.....

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post
    It's excellent, although I'd still prefer us to sign an outright clinical striker.

Our defence however.....
    There is a striker and a striker. The right striker would have to apply the same graft as Firmino and have a bit of off the shoulder of the last defender of Sturridge and play across the line. Klopp doesn't do static.

Quote Originally Posted by White Star Line View Post

Our defence however.....
    I thought we needed a striker, but then Salah came along and now I don't think we need one.

We also have Solanke waiting in the wings.

Its fantastic, an absolute joy to watch when in full flight

The fact we can leave one of them on the bench at any point is remarkable really and shows how far it has come

Its so good because we are not reliant on a number nine or clinical striker, the movement, speed and goals can come from anywhere in our front three which makes us so hard to tie down and stop.

In reality, a striker of the more traditional type who can link up play and work as intelligently as Firmino, and as naturally with our other forwards, barely exists or is affordable. We never seem to be able name one.

You can also tell how good our attack is because our resident experts who focus purely on our very obvious inadequacies, can rarely bring themselves to comment on the attack

Do you have a comparison of minutes played by each player?

Our attack is so good at the moment. The fluidity, the link up play and the general busyness of our attackers must make them so hard to defend against.

Also, not only have we been able to leave players on the bench, but we've yet to add Lallana into the mix.