Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How good is our attack?

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    Torres left because the previous owners were taking us nowhere and replaced a tactical genius with a very poor manager who was also a 'puppet'. It would have been like replacing Bob Paisley with Ron Atkinson. Sterling left for one thing and one thing only....money.
    Well money....and trophies.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Well money....and trophies.
    Trophy...singular. all he's won since he left us is the league cup once.

Our front four is ridiculously good when they all play together, I don't think many teams in the world could stop them scoring.

Easily one of the Top 5 attacks in Europe right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post
    Our front four is ridiculously good when they all play together, I don't think many teams in the world could stop them scoring.

Agreed

I wouldn't swap our attacking unit for any other in world football ...

How often can you say something like that and actually be speaking truthfully! ... It's very exciting times. I'm sure MANY would still pick what Barca, PSG, City, Bayern have ... but based on age, stats, progression, and team work - the four players we have are at the top for me.

BUT ... unless we keep them together it's ALL pointless. A brief wonderful moment that will ultimately lead to nothing.

Last time we built a strike force worth talking about was under Rodgers ... Sturridge, Suarez, Sterling, Phil. One year later, Suarez gone. Sturridge continually injured. Sterling unhappy ... It all fell apart as quickly as it came together, and ultimately all meant nothing.

We build on this ... or we will fall away again.

Quote Originally Posted by livrule View Post

How often can you say something like that and actually be speaking truthfully! ... It's very exciting times. I'm sure MANY would still pick what Barca, PSG, City, Bayern have ... but based on age, stats, progression, and team work - the four players we have are at the top for me.

BUT ... unless we keep them together it's ALL pointless. A brief wonderful moment that will ultimately lead to nothing.

Last time we built a strike force worth talking about was under Rodgers ... Sturridge, Suarez, Sterling, Phil. One year later, Suarez gone. Sturridge continually injured. Sterling unhappy ... It all fell apart as quickly as it came together, and ultimately all meant nothing.

Absolutely mate....have to do everything to keep this unit together whilst improving other areas where we are very poor

Quote Originally Posted by JesalTV View Post

I was thinking about that - who else is right up there at the moment?

Real and Barca are not what they were when BBC and MSN were firing. Bayern and Dortmund both look off their peak too. Napoli's attack have been very good but they're now out of the CL.

Obviously City and PSG are very strong, who else?

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post

Real and Barca are not what they were when BBC and MSN were firing. Bayern and Dortmund both look off their peak too. Napoli's attack have been very good but they're now out of the CL.

There usn't anyone else. Even Celtic have a better attack than Manure.

How do people think our attack compares to two of the best from recent times - ours from 2013/14: Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho; or Klopp's Dortmund of the same era: Lewandowski, Aubameyang, Reus and Mkhitaryan?

How do people think our attack compares to two of the best from recent times - ours from 2013/14: Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho; or Klopp's Dortmund of the same era: Lewandowski, Aubameyang, Reus and Mkhitaryan?
    Hard to beat that 2013/14 attack of ours.....scored over 100 goals that season, mainly down to Suarez's genius. I think this current 4 of ours could match them provided we keep them all fit.

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    the one thing city s attack has over us is age

sane sterling jesus are barely there yet. they havent even hit their prime yet. our lads are all in their prime.

city s attack will be phenomenal in 2-3 years but its pretty devastating as is
    Hard to say. Those 3 maybe but at that point Silva will be on the way out if not already gone and he's a key player for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebeastyboy View Post
    Hard to beat that 2013/14 attack of ours.....scored over 100 goals that season, mainly down to Suarez's genius. I think this current 4 of ours could match them provided we keep them all fit.
    I don't know about matching it in the league, not this season anyway, but across all competitions...? Maybe.

As for keeping them all fit - I think it's to our great benefit that we can unleash all 4 of them, but also we can perm any 3 from the 4 into our front line:
    Mane-Firmino-Salah
    Coutinho-Firmino-Salah
    Coutinho-Salah-Mane
    Coutinho-Firmino-Mane

Would all be more than enough to trouble most defences. I don't think we're overly reliant on any one of them, and as long as we don't have multiple injuries piling up we should still be a consistent threat.
    Last edited by ***Stuzzza***; 7-12-17 at 16:41.

Posted this earlier -

Goals in CL this season:

PSG - 25

Phil, Bobby, Mane & Mo - 21*

Real Madrid - 17

Chelsea - 16

Spurs - 15

City - 14

Bayern - 13

Utd - 12

Barca - 9

*Including the qualifiers

Also, we scored the 2nd most in the group stage ever, behind PSG, and we've already scored 5 more than when we won it in 04/05.
    Obviously doesn't tell the whole story but I'd say we're right up there with PSG and City attack wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Hard to say. Those 3 maybe but at that point Silva will be on the way out if not already gone and he's a key player for them.
    They have another lefted footed Silva who plays AM who looks a real player too though...

Yeah Bernardo Silva.

He's done nothing of note yet.

Yeah Bernardo Silva.

He's done nothing of note yet.
    David Silva's long term replacement though I think.

I don't know about matching it in the league, not this season anyway, but across all competitions...? Maybe.

As for keeping them all fit - I think it's to our great benefit that we can unleash all 4 of them, but also we can perm any 3 from the 4 into our front line:
    Mane-Firmino-Salah
    Coutinho-Firmino-Salah
    Coutinho-Salah-Mane
    Coutinho-Firmino-Mane

Would all be more than enough to trouble most defences. I don't think we're overly reliant on any one of them, and as long as we don't have multiple injuries piling up we should still be a consistent threat.
    Yeah agreed

David Silva's long term replacement though I think.
    That's probably the plan, doesn't mean it will happen that way.

Personally ... I think our current attack just about tops the one from 13/14, simply because the four players we have now ALL contribute an incredible amount of goals and assists ...

During the SAS season Sterling got 9 goals and Phil got 5. At times we played well without Suarez, but he was the outstanding individual of that team. We were good without him ... but near unstoppable with him.

Now we have a strike force which still functions at a deadly level with any one of the four left out ... which was highlighted when Mane was rested a couple of times recently. Salah is obviously leading the way with goals, but the past two games have proved that even he can take a step back and not affect our ability to go goal crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    That's probably the plan, doesn't mean it will happen that way.
    Well luckily for them if it doesn't work out they can sell him and buy another very expensive player to take his place.

I think this Front 4 is up there with the best we've ever had, and that is Aldridge, Barnes, Houghton, Beardsley.

The key difference between that 87/88 team, which I consider the best ever, is that they had Molby, Hansen, Lawrenson behind them.

Personally ... I think our current attack just about tops the one from 13/14, simply because the four players we have now ALL contribute an incredible amount of goals and assists ...

During the SAS season Sterling got 9 goals and Phil got 5. At times we played well without Suarez, but he was the outstanding individual of that team. We were good without him ... but near unstoppable with him.

Now we have a strike force which still functions at a deadly level with any one of the four left out ... which was highlighted when Mane was rested a couple of times recently. Salah is obviously leading the way with goals, but the past two games have proved that even he can take a step back and not affect our ability to go goal crazy.

i think we were more dependent on one player in that team. We've played well with each of our current front 4 missing. if couts does go this summer, it will be a bummer, but it won't set us back as much as Suarez leaving.
    Last edited by Shed; 7-12-17 at 19:09.

Posted this earlier -

Obviously doesn't tell the whole story but I'd say we're right up there with PSG and City attack wise.
    3 of the top 9 scorers in the group stage (Firmino, Coutinho and Salah), and 3 of the top 10 assist-ers (Milner, Firmino and Moreno). Not bad.

3 of the top 9 scorers in the group stage (Firmino, Coutinho and Salah), and 3 of the top 10 assist-ers (Milner, Firmino and Moreno). Not bad.
    Milner tops the cl assists chart with 5 assists, despite playing only 251 minutes of football in the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    Milner tops the cl assists chart with 5 assists, despite playing only 251 minutes of football in the competition.
    We scored 11 more group stage goals than the supposeably superior Manchester United. Their 12 to our 23. Romelu Benheskey was hardly prolific.

Agree with all of this but I do have to say I think even without Coutinho most teams would struggle to stop us scoring. Mane, Salah and Bobby are in the same bracket in terms of quality. That is a scary front three.

Quote Originally Posted by NewportRed1975 View Post
    Agree with all of this but I do have to say I think even without Coutinho most teams would struggle to stop us scoring. Mane, Salah and Bobby are in the same bracket in terms of quality. That is a scary front three.
    Coutinho is vital to making whatever front 3 work. If it's Ox, Mane and Firmino or Salah, Firmino and Mane, he's heavily involved and very important.

Coutinho is vital to making whatever front 3 work. If it's Ox, Mane and Firmino or Salah, Firmino and Mane, he's heavily involved and very important.
    Look, I'm just trying to be positive. If Coutinho leaves we will have new players and if Salah, Mane and Firmino all stay they will get chances to score, made by themselves or others. In any case, we have had some excellent results without Coutinho on the back of performances by these three players and sometimes two of them. I understand where you are coming from - he picks passes and executes them in a world class manner, but it doesn't mean if he leaves it'll be me, you or joe bloggs taking his place. It'll be a tidy player.

Quote Originally Posted by NewportRed1975 View Post
    Look, I'm just trying to be positive. If Coutinho leaves we will have new players and if Salah, Mane and Firmino all stay they will get chances to score, made by themselves or others. In any case, we have had some excellent results without Coutinho on the back of performances by these three players and sometimes two of them. I understand where you are coming from - he picks passes and executes them in a world class manner, but it doesn't mean if he leaves it'll be me, you or joe bloggs taking his place. It'll be a tidy player.
    Agreed, it’ll be sad to see him go but we won’t be stuck with Balo/Borini/Lambert.. those days are gone!

Man City (Aguero is useless right now and that says everything)
    PSG (a bit of a mess with a manager trying to control a bunch of egos but huge threat)
    I would still say Spurs (they look tired but let's not forget how good they are)
    Liverpool (our Fab Four is the best unit and all at their peak age)
    Napoli (I know they are out of CL but just talking generally)
    Real Madrid (poor in La Liga, still good in CL)
    Barcelona (they are more functional than peak form, I think them and Real will have better 2018's, Suarez needs to find form)
    Bayern (they are still a threat in more ways than one now Carlo left)
    Juventus (starting to creep back up there)
    Inter (finally making clever moves)