Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rather than negativity, I feel we are building up to something special

grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    In fairness, we also do the exact opposite after one bad result.
    As a fanbase we do tend to get carried away with the moment.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JurgenBelieveUs View Post
    Let's see where we are at Christmas eh?

Really I just want my username to be back in vogue. That and the pyro.
    Ha!

We do have a lot of winnable games coming up to be fair. And we should pick up a decent amount of points. But City seems unstoppable. I suppose if they start tripping up anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Machtig Maus View Post
    We scored 5 away goals at a ground no one except City have won at with 2 midfielders in a back 3, Salah didn't score and Manť wasn't on even on the pitch.

What is there possibly to be negative about?
    "We didn't control it and Henderson and Milner weren't showing for the ball 2nd half"

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    Quote Originally Posted by grevsmoker View Post
    We are a passionate bunch

If I think of myself, and how I react (overreact), I think it comes down to how choppy the waters have been over the last number of years. You can sense the anxiety even at Anfield at times. Once the team really establishes a firm consistency I think all that stuff will go away.

We scored 5 away goals at a ground no one except City have won at with 2 midfielders in a back 3, Salah didn't score and Manť wasn't on even on the pitch.

I'm with you for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    We've already built a special forward line. We are, however, sitting on our hands with a defence that's only special in the pejorative sense.
    Well watching man ure yesterday their defence was ****e. They were totally destroyed. They have a keeper that nobody else has in the world. Our defence could be improved, but it's the constant "we're great BUT......." That creates the need for threads like this.

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgher View Post
    Well watching man ure yesterday their defence was ****e. They were totally destroyed. They have a keeper that nobody else has in the world. Our defence could be improved, but it's the constant "we're great BUT......." That creates the need for threads like this.
    I'm not interested in how good or bad their defence is. Ours isn't good enough. That's a perfectly reasonable point of discussion.

grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Mike View Post
    If I think of myself, and how I react (overreact), I think it comes down to how choppy the waters have been over the last number of years. You can sense the anxiety even at Anfield at times. Once the team really establishes a firm consistency I think all that stuff will go away.
    I don't know. I am always nervous and anxious going into a game. And if we win there is an almost euphoric wave of relief. And if we lose it's just a confirmation of all the nervousness I've been buliding up over the days leading into the game. So I don't think I'll ever be beyond overreacting regardless of our situation.

I don't know. I am always nervous and anxious going into a game. And if we win there is an almost euphoric wave of relief. And if we lose it's just a confirmation of all the nervousness I've been buliding up over the days leading into the game. So I don't think I'll ever be beyond overreacting regardless of our situation.
    Ha, you may be right there.

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    I feel the same way.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by tonylet View Post
    "We didn't control it and Henderson and Milner weren't showing for the ball 2nd half"
    Some people need to learn the perfect game has never and will never be played, let Klopp worry about individual performances and just enjoy the result.

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    Some people need to learn the perfect game has never and will never be played, let Klopp worry about individual performances and just enjoy the result.
    And also, if we're winning away at the likes of Stoke and Brighton 3-0 and 5-1 with this midfield and defence, imagine what we'll do to them when we eventually strengthen those areas.

I took the point of the OP to be we're building to something special, not that we're there already, which seems to be the objection the usuals are having.

And also, if we're winning away at the likes of Stoke and Brighton 3-0 and 5-1 with this midfield and defence, imagine what we'll do to them when we eventually strengthen those areas.

I took the point of the OP to be we're building to something special, not that we're there already, which seems to be the objection the usuals are having.

I agree with the OP entirely, maybe not special but well on the way to consistently competing for titles and trophies.

Club is financially stable, team has improved massively, squad is improving, football is entertaining. It's all good from where I'm standing.

KoppityKloppity is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    We always do this after a few good results. Look, after an amazing run of results we're 4th. So unless special is 4th or 5th lets just calm down.
    If Man City weren't on such a good run and blowing the whole league away we probably would still be talking about having a chance of winning the league. Apart from City no one is having a significantly better season than us currently.
    Looks like all the other teams need to calm down as well going by your theory.

Apart from two blowout games this season I think we have been decent enough and excellent in most games and have never looked like losing apart from the two games we did, there has possibly been a couple of games when we didn't look like winning but other than that we have done pretty well.

I'm not saying its a special season, don't think anyone has gone that far yet but I totally agree with the OP that the season has been better than some make out.

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider

good post and points and agree, what appears to be building even with the odd hiccup is a consistency that we ain't had for a long time - that imo is key for any future progress. as for new personnel nowt can be done till windows open and its more than likely already in hand.

[QUOTE=MiraclesArePossible;12936175]I'm not interested in how good or bad their defence is. Ours isn't good enough. That's a perfectly reasonable point of discussion.[/QUOTE

Our defence is a result of our offensive attitude and maybe isn't perfect. If Klopp thought like you he would operate a more defensive system and we wouldn't be having this specific conversation. Instead it would be why can't we be more attacking and exciting to watch. Moaners moan and probably only stop when they sleep.

I'm not interested in how good or bad their defence is. Ours isn't good enough. That's a perfectly reasonable point of discussion.
    Our defence is a result of our offensive attitude and maybe isn't perfect. If Klopp thought like you he would operate a more defensive system and we wouldn't be having this specific conversation. Instead it would be why can't we be more attacking and exciting to watch. Moaners moan and probably only stop when they sleep.
    good point. its also worth noting that overall the amount of chances created against us are not that high now. i think and if/when the defence does get sorted that should add even more consistency to our game.

At the minute, probably the only team that could give City a game. Sounds crazy after they stuffed us 5-0, but if we were to play them tomorrow, Iíd fancy our chances.

JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect

Is right Maus!

Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    At the minute, probably the only team that could give City a game. Sounds crazy after they stuffed us 5-0, but if we were to play them tomorrow, I’d fancy our chances.
    likewise. if memory serves mo salah got in a few times and couldn't score, think he is in a better frame of mind now.

herbeer is online now Knows who has the Ranfurly Shield
    Completely with you. It seems to have escaped most that we are competing hard on both the premier league and Champions league fronts. Thatís been a LONG time coming and Kloppís still building. Keep it up Kloppo!

Quote Originally Posted by Klopphopper View Post
    Iíve been absolutely staggered so far this season over all the negativity thatís been associated with Klopp and the team. We have seen people calling for Kloppís head in threads, those lambasting our players and others just plain downbeat. I just donít understand why, apart from the broader fact that we have not won a title in 27 years.

We are coming 4th. We have only lost 2 league games all season and itís December. We should qualify for the next round of the championís League. We have arguably the player of the season so far and a support cast of attacking quality that is second to none in Europe apart from PSG and Man City. We are at times playing breathtaking football. We have a very fine and sought after and innovative manager who has lifted us out of the 2015 mire we were in. We have some of the best young talent coming through in Gomez, TAA, Woodburn, Lewis, and Brewster. We got a stadium tha now fits over 50,000 fans.

Sure we have our bizarre moments. Our defence falters at times and we didnít rectify it in the summer. Our keeper has constant brain farts. We miss chances. Sometimes our gaffer is slow to make changes in a game. Our captain is in a mini form slump. But as I said, look at the results since the Spurs game. Outstanding and not for a fluke Willian goal weíd be third.

The way we are playing I feel something special is building like I felt in 13-14. The title is too far away from us but I can see us catching United. I see us in the quarter finals of the CL and maybe a good FA cup run. Providing we get another defender in Januaryís window and get our injured players back soon without anymore, I really feel the next five and half months maybe special.
    Kiwi fan from way back

[QUOTE=Edinburgher;12936263]
    I'm not interested in how good or bad their defence is. Ours isn't good enough. That's a perfectly reasonable point of discussion.[/QUOTE

Most of our goals conceded have little to do with our offensive minded approach to games. It’s often set pieces and individual errors.

Most of our goals conceded have little to do with our offensive minded approach to games. It’s often set pieces and individual errors.
    yes, but the hard part is to differentiate between stupid errors and the more common ones that happen to every team during a set piece scenario. goals will be conceded from set pieces and that is just a fact of football.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    yes, but the hard part is to differentiate between stupid errors and the more common ones that happen to every team during a set piece scenario. goals will be conceded from set pieces and that is just a fact of football.
    My point is that our defensive frailties can’t simply be tied to the team being offensive minded.

I see three areas of vulnerability:

1. Set pieces
    2. Individual errors
    3. Lack of composure when pressure is applied by the other team.

I see some improvement in defending set pieces but it’s still an issue.

Individuals errors will always happen but we’re too prone to it still.

The last one can in part be linked to the team being set up offensively but really we should have personnel that can handle pressure reasonably well even if the set up is offensive. That’s why I agree with the OP on the areas where this could be addressed.

Well, that's a load of nonsense.

If Klopp thought like MAP, he'd likely have a better squad because he wouldn't think Lovren, Matip, and Klavan were enough.

My point is that our defensive frailties can’t simply be tied to the team being offensive minded.

I see three areas of vulnerability:

1. Set pieces
    2. Individual errors
    3. Lack of composure when pressure is applied by the other team.

I see some improvement in defending set pieces but it’s still an issue.

Individuals errors will always happen but we’re too prone to it still.

The last one can in part be linked to the team being set up offensively but really we should have personnel that can handle pressure reasonably well even if the set up is offensive. That’s why I agree with the OP on the areas where this could be addressed.
    bold: yes i do agree with you there. i also agree that improvements need to be made in defence. all im saying is not every set piece goal conceded is an absolute as by there very nature a defender will make a mistake, its why some teams play for set pieces. its the silly mistakes that we need to cut out and im in agreement with that.

as a team, i find we have restricted chances against us and if klopp adds to that then our consistency will improve further.

i tend to think we deal in too many absolutes when talking about pressure, composure etc - as we do exactly the same to all opposition so why be surprised if from time to time it happens to us. its the very nature of the game.

Been a fantastic response from the lads and Jurgen to that defeat to Spurs. The two teams have really gone in opposite directions since, great to see.

Quote Originally Posted by PHIL. View Post
    Well, that's a load of nonsense.

If Klopp thought like MAP, he'd likely have a better squad because he wouldn't think Lovren, Matip, and Klavan were enough.
    So in Phils world some Internet forum writer knows more than a manager with a lot of experience, won championships and cups. OK.

My view on the development of the squad has always been positive. Since Jurgen has arrived, our existing players have improved significantly, and weíve generally gotten most of our signings right.

That said, we have obvious glaring gaps in our current side in midfield and defence. In midfield, Iím hopeful that Keita solves some of those problems, but Iím concerned about our continued reliance on Henderson. Iím also not sure that Van Dijk is the defensive panacea that everyone thinks heíll be.

All in all, itís a mixed bag, but Iím convinced weíre on the right track.

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    I'd respect that statement if you were as quick to condemn the incredible over reaction by the doomsayers whenever we lose. Not only that after winning again yesterday there has still been plenty of negative comments......including from you.
    Talking about football is not being negative. There were several things we want to do better than we did yesterday.