Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: George Patterson's Second Stint on the Twitter Thread. No unsubstantiated news, fake tweets or general chat.

1. #1 Default George Patterson's Second Stint on the Twitter Thread. No unsubstantiated news, fake tweets or general chat. 
    Jannno is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Think that last one was the longest-serving Twitter thread we've had

George Patterson (2nd term)
    Birthdate: 1887
    Birthplace: ?
    Other clubs as manager: None
    Arrived from: Liverpool secretary
    Signed for LFC: March 1928
    First game in charge: 07.03.1928
    Contract Expiry: 06.08.1936
    LFC league games as manager: 348
    Total LFC games as manager: 366
    Honours:

Manager profile

When Patterson returned to being just Secretary, David Ashworth came from Stockport County to take over as manager. Patterson was pleased by his successorís progress as the club scored 18 goals without reply in five wins in the league and three in the FA Cup from the middle of January to mid-February. ĎThe interest in the club is enormous, and their run of league and cup successes is quite natural under the circumstances,í Patterson said in the Liverpool Echo. ĎThe boys are playing fine football and for long enough the people of Liverpool have recognised this and have stood by the side although we started rather badly. It was one goal against us week by week. We turned the corner in December and confidence and good football have done the rest. The boys fear no team.í

Having already worked at Anfield for 20 years at the time Ashworth's successor, Matt McQueen, decided to retire, it was no surprise that Patterson was asked to take over the reins with the title of secretary-manager, thus becoming in fact, the first man in Liverpool's history to manage the team in two separate eras, not Kenny Dalglish as so far has been believed by Liverpool FC historians. As things turned out, the eight full seasons during which Patterson was in charge were some of the quietest years in the clubís history, quiet in that nothing really sensational happened good or bad. They retained their place in the top division but never finished higher than fifth; they twice finished low enough to cause concern but not enough concern for relegation to be a serious possibility. But after finishing seventh in 1935, there was an alarming slump the following season with the team being victorious in only three of the last 20 league games. They eventually escaped relegation by three points but it had been a close call. The pressure of managing a First Division club where results were not good when added to a serious illness forced Patterson to resign from the managerial side of his double-post, although he continued as the clubís secretary. It was another George (Kay) who was persuaded to leave his post at Southampton and head north to take over at Anfield.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Glad the old thread has expired. It took forever. Longest thread yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamof19 View Post
    Glad the old thread has expired. It took forever. Longest thread yet?
    Considering the transfer window twitter thread lasted about a day!

Some man city moose on talk sport claimed that he was reliably informed..... I know, they all are, that VVD will sign in Jan along with Sanchez. Wouldn't surprise me if it did happen to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by HIP-KLOPPBEATZ View Post
    Some man city moose on talk sport claimed that he was reliably informed..... I know, they all are, that VVD will sign in Jan along with Sanchez. Wouldn't surprise me if it did happen to be honest.
    Will be soooo peeeved off if VVD signed for any other team than us. And if he went to City that would give them one pretty awesome team if they arenít already.

Wouldn’t surprise me to be honest.

I'd rather we went for Alderweireld

Quote Originally Posted by Machtig Maus View Post
    I'd rather we went for Alderweireld
    Good shout.

Well this will please u all then....... according to the Birmingham mail we are interested in their Egyptian CB Ahmed hegazi!!..... first Iíve heard about it but it does sound like us as he would be relatively cheap

Quote Originally Posted by redeyes77 View Post
    Well this will please u all then....... according to the Birmingham mail we are interested in their Egyptian CB Ahmed hegazi!!..... first Iíve heard about it but it does sound like us as he would be relatively cheap
    The guy from West Brom?

Itís going to sound like Iím being bitter but Iím genuinely not. Iíve watched VVD a lot lately and I know heís probably still getting up to speed but I havenít been impressed. If Man City want him then they are gonna have to pay massive money for him 60-70 million, Iím it sure heís worth that

Quote Originally Posted by BostonFans View Post
    The guy from West Brom?
    Sorry, yep the guy from West Brom. Sorry I made it sound like he was at blues

Yep
    That's a weird link.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonFans View Post
    That's a weird link.
    I know, never been mentioned by any other media outlet and yet the *********** Birmingham mail say we are interested. I think his agent is playing games

Mersey Dudek is online now Academy prospect
    I know, never been mentioned by any other media outlet and yet the *********** Birmingham mail say we are interested. I think his agent is playing games
    Blaze31 posted it in the last twitter thread http://forums.liverpoolfc.com/thread...i#post12927380

In that article it says the source is ESPN. But could be all ********.

There were rumours over the weekend I recall. Not sure I believe them.
    If we are however, I bet Salah has tapped him up lol

Anyhow, I think the VVD to city rumour has legs, Iíve heard a few so called ďpunditsĒ say that city want him now

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    City wanted him in the summer too but he wanted to come here. Unless he's changed his mind I don't see what's different.

Acumen is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    City wanted him in the summer too but he wanted to come here. Unless he's changed his mind I don't see what's different.
    I don't think his mind will change unless City are the only ones who'll bid for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    I don't think his mind will change unless City are the only ones who'll bid for him.
    Thatís the thing though isnít it??..... I donít think anyone in here believes we will be willing to spend that kind of money in January

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    Dunno, got to be tempting to play in that Man City team.

Be amazed if he wasnít at least tempted if they are in for him.

He might of changed his mind though. We left him to rot at Southampton in the summer. And lets be honest it would be hard to turn down a gaurenteed premier league winners medal.

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazlaz74 View Post
    He might of changed his mind though. We left him to rot at Southampton in the summer. And lets be honest it would be hard to turn down a gaurenteed premier league winners medal.
    Who even knows if we've changed our stance with waiting for Southampton to get back in touch with us.

Matt Spiro‏ @mattspiro
    Steven Nzonzi has been left out of the Sevilla squad ahead of Wednesday's Champions League match and has travelled to London to discuss a transfer. #Arsenal and #Everton interested (L'Equipe)

Matt Spiro‏ @mattspiro
    Steven Nzonzi has been left out of the Sevilla squad ahead of Wednesday's Champions League match and has travelled to London to discuss a transfer. #Arsenal and #Everton interested (L'Equipe)
    Strange timing

Matt Spiro‏ @mattspiro
    Read that he wasn't in London to discuss a transfer but to visit his son. Think it was from the mail online.
    Formerly known as PlusSixFiveRed.

paul joyce‏ @_pauljoyce
    Sam Allardyce to remain behind on Merseyside rather than go to Cyprus with Everton. Craig Shakespeare and Duncan Ferguson will take young squad.

Part-time Sam

paul joyce‏ @_pauljoyce
    Sam Allardyce to remain behind on Merseyside rather than go to Cyprus with Everton. Craig Shakespeare and Duncan Ferguson will take young squad.

Part-time Sam
    Is that allowed?

BBC Gossip section has this:

Messi wants Barcelona to drop their interest in signing Liverpool's Brazil playmaker Philippe Coutinho, 25, in favour of a defender instead. (Diario Gol via Express)

I always knew there was a reason I liked him more than Ronaldo

FistofRage is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by LivapewlDivas View Post
    Is that allowed?
    Don't see why not