Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CL last 16 possible opponents

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    indeed. do you really think those games would have been different if suarez had stayed. it really is that simple and if you can't see it then maybe you need to watch more football or a different sport.

currently this team is more than capable of taking apart ANY team in europe and that includes the big three of Barca, Madrid, and Bayen.
    Just like they could tear us apart going forward as well... All of our quality is in the front 4 and maybe Can as well... That’s it... The back line will not be able to withstand those teams when they come at us... They have quality all over the pitch... I will take 8-9 quality players over 4 or 5 over two legs any day...
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by HitTheWoodwork View Post
    That was when Brenda was in charge no? We are a completely different entity. I'm happy with whoever we get.
    At the end of the day I’m happy we are actually here and not talking about Europa League, but I’m not ready to say we can beat anyone just yet

LivapewlDivas is online now Academy prospect
    Only fancy our chances against Basel tbh

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    Just like they could tear us apart going forward as well... All of our quality is in the front 4 and maybe Can as well... That’s it... The back line will not be able to withstand those teams when they come at us... They have quality all over the pitch... I will take 8-9 quality players over 4 or 5 over two legs any day...
    don;t think so.. i feel many view them as they were, not as they are. two ageing teams. damn i would throw barca into that as well. i don/'t fear them as we are a very young, fit, and deadly side - they would struggle to contain us, can[t you see that.

don;t think so.. i feel many view them as they were, not as they are. two ageing teams. damn i would throw barca into that as well. i don/'t fear them as we are a very young, fit, and deadly side - they would struggle to contain us, can[t you see that.
    On our day when everything goes right we could probably run a few of them off the pitch but that’s not really how knockout football works is it? Very rarely is perfection achieved and pragmatism becomes extremely important... Will we be able to find the right balance of attack/defense, when to try a certain ball or not and things like that... Mistakes are absolutely crushing... Can this squad be trusted to play a smart, controlled and patient game over two legs? I’m not sure... If we were talking about one offs I would be inclined to agree with you but it’s not and two legs usually tell the correct story

Madrid...give us Real!

On our day when everything goes right we could probably run a few of them off the pitch but that’s not really how knockout football works is it? Very rarely is perfection achieved and pragmatism becomes extremely important... Will we be able to find the right balance of attack/defense, when to try a certain ball or not and things like that... Mistakes are absolutely crushing... Can this squad be trusted to play a smart, controlled and patient game over two legs? I’m not sure... If we were talking about one offs I would be inclined to agree with you but it’s not and two legs usually tell the correct story
    disagree with this controlled patient game over two legs as thats the anti football of other managers. the idea is to win the tie and surely winning both legs there is more chance of that then praying you don't get undone by an away goal which is always the possibility with narrow leads.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMrMustard View Post
    Madrid...give us Real!
    i know we shouldn't read anything into a preseason. but we really can't ignore how easily we have torn all three of those teams apart. they may not have been up to speed at the time, but we were not 100% either. im sure all those teams remember that and are hoping for a different draw.

Don't care who we get
    My ship is coming in.

disagree with this controlled patient game over two legs as thats the anti football of other managers. the idea is to win the tie and surely winning both legs there is more chance of that then praying you don't get undone by an away goal which is always the possibility with narrow leads.
    Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying we need to show up setup like a Mourinho team... I just worry over two legs and our boys definitely don’t have the experience that some of these sides have either which is huge... I just don’t want to be guns blazing, shots all over the place and when the dust settles realize we lost 4-1 over the two legs... Youth can definitely be to our advantage though... Hopefully we can get through no matter who we get

Quote Originally Posted by youwannabe View Post
    Don't care who we get
    Real M at Anfield is what the CL is all about!

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying we need to show up setup like a Mourinho team... I just worry over two legs and our boys definitely don’t have the experience that some of these sides have either which is huge... I just don’t want to be guns blazing, shots all over the place and when the dust settles realize we lost 4-1 over the two legs... Youth can definitely be to our advantage though... Hopefully we can get through no matter who we get
    ok, fair point about us not having experience. so why not let the lads go out and enjoy themselves with no pressure. said awhile ago its a toss up when it gets to the knockout phase and only needs a few favourable draws then your into a final. sure there are good teams, but so are we. and imo its simply who plays better on the day. either way, should be some wonderful football to behold if last two seasons is anything to go by.

Acumen is online now First team regular
    I have a feeling it will be Bayern.

JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect
    i know we shouldn't read anything into a preseason. but we really can't ignore how easily we have torn all three of those teams apart. they may not have been up to speed at the time, but we were not 100% either. im sure all those teams remember that and are hoping for a different draw.
    Pre season doesn't involve two big things the continental giants do better than us - gamesmanship and game management.

I'd fancy us picking one of Porto or Shaktar Donets,

I think they are the weakest or at most the ones more within our grasp of the lot of teams we can be drawn with,

I think as well in a double game tie we could prevail on either of them,

Bayern, Juventus and Real Madrid would be frankly the favourites in a double leg tie against us,

Basel is a big question mark, but given what has been our last precedent, I'd rather prefer avoid them,

cheers,

'night,

Last edited by rosso76; 7-12-17 at 12:08.

I'd prefer to get as easy as possible draw until the potential winners can't be avoided then we can smash and grab in the semis because we supposedly haven't been been tested yet. Let's try and win it, we'll need a bit of complacency from the likes of PSG, City, Bayern to do that.

Genuinely not bothered who we get but I would prefer a big hitter. It's what the champions league is all about.

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Genuinely not bothered who we get but I would prefer a big hitter. It's what the champions league is all about.
    I can get on board with that. I will be happy with anything at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    I can get on board with that. I will be happy with anything at this point.
    The only teams I wouldn't fancy would be the english clubs in the later rounds because it's pretty much going to be a lottery in those games.

For me even if its an outside chance I'd prefer a shot at winning it, which is what its a all about after all. The longer we can be underestimated by the likes of PSG City and Bayern the better for that purpose.

Drawing a ‘lesser’ opponent would be good, I think we can all agree on this.

Opportunity to progress is better but if it’s Real or Bayern, so be it.

Confident at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleSulk View Post
    For me even if its an outside chance I'd prefer a shot at winning it, which is what its a all about after all. The longer we can be underestimated by the likes of PSG City and Bayern the better for that purpose.
    I'd fancy us against any of those teams.

I don't think any team in the competition is going to underestimate us. How could they? It's not like we are an unknown.

I'd fancy us against any of those teams.

I don't think any team in the competition is going to underestimate us. How could they? It's not like we are an unknown.
    Yeah, just maybe. I don't fancy the attacks of those teams running at us though. Those are teams who don't need to sit back against us and have better midfields.

I think if we take out at the likes of Real in the next round as opposed to the likes Basel teams like PSG will take us far more seriously, and we have a better chance if we aren't looked at as contenders until as late as possible. As much as I'd like to play Real and smash them at Anfield (no question we can) I think we can win this but we need a bit of luck, we're far from being the best team but its cup football.

The difference between PSG taking on Bayern even with a point to prove and being more relaxed about a game was enormous for me. You could say the same about Bayern potentially. It isn't often these days we have shot at winning this. Any advantage counts for me.

Engish teams doing really well in the CL so far.

You just know that United will draw Porto or Seville and we will get Madrid.

foreverred-1973 is online now 100% Concentrated
    We‘ll most probably get the thoughest opponent. I wouldn‘t mind having Keita for these games
    Thank God I'm an Atheist!

Would prefer to avoid the big guns this round. From the quarters I will take anyone. We can definitely beat anyone on our day - let's just hope this good run of form continues into the new year!

Avoid the big guns who will test and more than likely destroy our midfield and defence. We should be able to do the likes of Porto and Basel.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    Engish teams doing really well in the CL so far.
    5 out of the last 16

The Premier League is crap I tells ya

indeed. do you really think those games would have been different if suarez had stayed. it really is that simple and if you can't see it then maybe you need to watch more football or a different sport.

currently this team is more than capable of taking apart ANY team in europe and that includes the big three of Barca, Madrid, and Bayen.
    *********** hell havent you complained for the last couple of years at others telling you to watch more football or a different sport?