Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 contributing goals better than out and out striker?

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanMrMustard View Post
    There are a number ways of looking at this, none mutually exclusive.

Any top team with designs on League title and CL would be looking at 50 goals plus out of their main strike force...the conventional striker like Kane or Auba hitting 25-30 with the balance coming from the support strikers. Whether 2 main strikers or 4 attacking players yield this amount is largely irrelevant. On current form Liverpool should comfortably exceed this through Firmino, Salah, Mane, Cou.

Having a "guaranteed" 25 goal striker is obviously a major asset, but injury could have a big impact. Not being overly reliant on one player greatly reduces this risk.

Bringing in someone like Auba to guarantee goals might seem like a no-brainer but would he integrate as efficiently with the other attackers to ensure their rates don't suffer? The beauty with the current LFC options is that they work so harmoniously, and that their level of interplay keeps defences guesssing. At the end of the season its the totals scored that really count, not that the main striker has 40 and the support striker only 5.

I like it the way its is but of course all extra options can only be positive.

Of course with Liverpool the elephant in the room is the amount of goals conceded, not the amount scored. Sort this (consistently) and we're on a winner!
    I think one thing that people miss is that Salah and Mané provide as much of the interplay as they benefit from it. So I can't see how Aubameyang can upset the balance.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    What is an 'out an out goalscorer' ? Was Gerrard one? was Lampard one? they both went over 20 goals for several seasons. Id rather finish the season having scored 100 goals with no natural #9, than finish the season on 90 goals with a #9 who has scored 30.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    We still need a striker. So, why not sign the very best quality you can?

This seems relatively simple to me.
    Because at the minute we dont have a problem scoring goals and the very best quality CF will cost way over £100m, so why spend that amount when we have HUGE issues defending and with the keeper? makes no sense. If your front door of your house was fine but your back door was hanging off its hinges would you go out and buy a better front door or replace the back door?

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    I mean, apart from the fact that it's his natural position.
    Is it?

Just because he played there for Hoffenheim doesn't make it his "natural position". He used to be a centre back.

He looks pretty natural up front to me.

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Is it?

Just because he played there for Hoffenheim doesn't make it his "natural position". He used to be a centre back.

He first came over as a left back! he was a defender all his life until he came to Europe so you could actually say defence is his natural position?

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Is it?

Yes, it is. His strengths lie in providing for other players. He's not a natural centre forward.

Yes, it is. His strengths lie in providing for other players. He's not a natural centre forward.
    So was Bergkamp's and he's one of the best CF ive ever seen in the Prem. Also Bergkamp was a wide forward at Ajax.

Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    So was Bergkamp's and he's one of the best CF ive ever seen in the Prem. Also Bergkamp was a wide forward at Ajax.
    Bergkamp was a number ten, and a very good one. So is Firmino.

Because at the minute we dont have a problem scoring goals and the very best quality CF will cost way over £100m, so why spend that amount when we have HUGE issues defending and with the keeper? makes no sense.
    But we still need a striker?

Youre making some huge assumptions here. That finding a quality striker would cost us £100m, and that we wouldn't be able to purchase a centre half because of this.

I dont agree that either of those things are the case.

Youre making some huge assumptions here. That finding a quality striker would cost us £100m, and that we wouldn't be able to purchase a centre half because of this.

I don't think Werner would cost us £100 million. Nor Aubameyang.

Bergkamp was a number ten, and a very good one. So is Firmino.
    But also played dozens of games as the 9 and was still outstanding, just like Bobby. Last night Bobby and Mane played just off Salah and we still looked as good as we have done. I see no issues is playing salah of Bobby or Bobby of Salah or Mane central whatever, as long as we are scoring Golas, which we are. Having forwards with no static set position is a nightmare for defenders, as we saw last night.

We would be mad to go and blow £100m on a new dedicated striker and upset this lot, buy good competition who can play this way yes, but we shouldn't be spending £100m+ on one when we are STILL having to rely on Milner at LB and even Gini at CB.

But also played dozens of games as the 9
    So his natural position wasn't centre forward either. Almost as if putting Henry in front of him made Arsenal very successful.

In today's market if we want to buy "the very best quality" as you said we need, you are talking way over £100m. Griezman, Kane, Icardi, those are the very best quality and would cost way over £100m. I dont believe we could buy say Griezman and VVD AND a new keeper.

So his natural position wasn't centre forward either. Almost as if putting Henry in front of him made Arsenal very successful.
    Henry also played wide left. You are talking here as if these players only played in one position all their lives, they never. They played to suit the team, like Bobby is doing.

I don't think Werner would cost us £100 million. Nor Aubameyang.
    RB owner said Keita would have cost us double what we paid only for his release clause, Werner doesn't have one so you think they will be easy to negotiate with over their best player? I want Werner but we shouldn't be blowing the budget on him, not unless he can play in goal.

Because at the minute we dont have a problem scoring goals and the very best quality CF will cost way over £100m, so why spend that amount when we have HUGE issues defending and with the keeper? makes no sense. If your front door of your house was fine but your back door was hanging off its hinges would you go out and buy a better front door or replace the back door?
    Actually it's more like if your front door was stuck, and you were having to use the window next to it to get in and out of the house. It works for you, and it's a nice big window so it's no major inconvenience. And sure, the back door is the priority. But it'd also be nice to have the option of a front door, and to just let the window be a window.

Quote Originally Posted by -Nelly- View Post
    Actually it's more like if your front door was stuck, and you were having to use the window next to it to get in and out of the house. It works for you, and it's a nice big window so it's no major inconvenience. And sure, the back door is the priority. But it'd also be nice to have the option of a front door, and to just let the window be a window.
    We've scored 62 goals so far this season, the front door is far from stuck! in fact its better than most front doors out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Red-And-Proud View Post
    You mean Suarez?
    Suarez’s workrate nowhere Bobby F’s tbf & he’s slowing down considerably.

In today's market if we want to buy "the very best quality" as you said we need, you are talking way over £100m. Griezman, Kane, Icardi, those are the very best quality and would cost way over £100m. I dont believe we could buy say Griezman and VVD AND a new keeper.
    I said the very best quality we can find. Meaning that if we need a striker then it shouldn't just be another player like Solanke or a "squad player. We haven't a chance of signing most of those players you named, so the point is somewhat redundant.

We dont have to spend £100m to sign a quality striker. And nor does signing one mean we wouldn't then be able to sign other players.

Why do people keep arguing this point?

Salah may end up playing through the middle long-term ala Griezmann.

RB owner said Keita would have cost us double what we paid only for his release clause, Werner doesn't have one so you think they will be easy to negotiate with over their best player? I want Werner but we shouldn't be blowing the budget on him, not unless he can play in goal.
    None of this equates to him costing £100m.

Nor does it mean £100m would be our entire budget.

We've scored 62 goals so far this season, the front door is far from stuck! in fact its better than most front doors out there.
    If we want the house to be the best it can possibly be, we know we can get a better door.

Everyone on either side of the fence keep saying it's not a priority, so unless someone genuinely believes we couldn't add any more to our attack by having a proper number nine (even just within the squad), then I don't see what the debate is. We add Werner or Aubameyang to our team, and we have massively improved. No none is saying to do that at the expense of strengthening other positions.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarnes79 View Post
    Salah may end up playing through the middle long-term ala Griezmann.
    I wouldn't be opposed to that.

If you can find one, great, we should get a quality striker and get rid of Sturridge and also hope that striker is happy with being on the bench quite a lot.

But if talking priorities, it isn't one, Mane or even Salah could also play more centrally if required

If we can get one, great, I won't lose sleep over it either way.

But for now, credit where its due for this front three/four who are absolutely terrifying.

Its hard to improve on that and it would be mad to break it up too, but for quality options for the squad another striker would be welcome

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    If you can find one, great, we should get a quality striker and get rid of Sturridge and also hope that striker is happy with being on the bench quite a lot.

But if talking priorities, it isn't one, Mane or even Salah could also play more centrally if required

But for now, credit where its due for this front three/four who are absolutely terrifying.

Its hard to improve on that and it would be mad to break it up too, but for quality options for the squad another striker would be welcome
    I think it's a priority but not as high a priority as a centre back.

Henry also played wide left. You are talking here as if these players only played in one position all their lives, they never. They played to suit the team, like Bobby is doing.
    You've missed the point again Bear. Henry was a world class centre forward. Bergkamp, who was very good at #9, was an even better #10 providing for Henry. That's how I see Firmino.

I said the very best quality we can find. Meaning that if we need a striker then it shouldn't just be another player like Solanke or a "squad player. We haven't a chance of signing most of those players you named, so the point is somewhat redundant.

We dont have to spend £100m to sign a quality striker. And nor does signing one mean we wouldn't then be able to sign other players.

Why do people keep arguing this point?
    He's also trying to argue that Salah is a top centre forward, and we spent just over a third of that imaginary £100 million on him.

You've missed the point again Bear. Henry was a world class centre forward. Bergkamp, who was very good at #9, was an even better #10 providing for Henry. That's how I see Firmino.
    That's exactly how I see Bobby and exactly how he plays, look at his heat maps, he's deeper than Salah and Mane most games. It's just how Klopp has set's his team up at the min.

My point is we shouldnt be looking at signing top quality CF when we are scoring 5/6/7 a game but have Gini filling ain at CB and Milner STILL filling in at LB with a keeper who's average at best.

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post

This

That's exactly how I see Bobby and exactly how he plays, look at his heat maps, he's deeper than Salah and Mane most games. It's just how Klopp has set's his team up at the min.

My point is we shouldnt be looking at signing top quality CF when we are scoring 5/6/7 a game but have Gini filling ain at CB and Milner STILL filling in at LB with a keeper who's average at best.
    If you want to talk about whether we should prioritise the defence and midfield ahead of signing another striker we can. I'm fine to make those higher priorities. But somewhere on our list of priorities I think we should be looking at signing a top striker as well. It'd allow Firmino to really flourish in the deeper role we agree that he's best in by having more top players to provide for and link up with.