Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 contributing goals better than out and out striker?

BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    None of this equates to him costing £100m.

Nor does it mean £100m would be our entire budget.
    Never said it would? imo we should be looking to replace Sturridge with someone like Werner but I dont think we should be spending over £50m on a replacement either. If we didn't buy one single attacker but bough a new keeper, new LB new RB new CB and a new DM id be over the moon.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

FistofRage is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-red View Post
    Yes but a younger version.
    Born and bred in Anfield, Kopite through and through, bleeds Liverpool FC, one man Club.

Stevie G with lethal scoring ability

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    Never said it would? imo we should be looking to replace Sturridge with someone like Werner but I dont think we should be spending over £50m on a replacement either. If we didn't buy one single attacker but bough a new keeper, new LB new RB new CB and a new DM id be over the moon.
    I don't think we have to. We got Salah for £35 million. I think Werner would be available for around £50 million. Though I'd be fine with pushing the boat out a bit further to get someone like him as he'd be our centre forward for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarnes79 View Post
    Salah may end up playing through the middle long-term ala Griezmann.
    And Mertens!

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    If you want to talk about whether we should prioritise the defence and midfield ahead of signing another striker we can. I'm fine to make those higher priorities. But somewhere on our list of priorities I think we should be looking at signing a top striker as well. It'd allow Firmino to really flourish in the deeper role we agree that he's best in by having more top players to provide for and link up with.
    Yes, I just dont want us blowing £100m on a striker though when we have other critical issues in the 11. If we sign Werner Great! though if we sign Werner but still no CB or GK or LB or DM then i wont be to happy.

Yes, I just dont want us blowing £100m on a striker though when we have other critical issues in the 11. If we sign Werner Great! though if we sign Werner but still no CB or GK or LB or DM then i wont be to happy.
    No, but as FIOS and I have both said, I don't think we would need to go up to £100 million.

He's also trying to argue that Salah is a top centre forward, and we spent just over a third of that imaginary £100 million on him.
    I've said for a while Salah is a top CF and has all the attributes to be one... Klopp has played him centrally in his last two games by the way so I think he's on the same page as me.

I've said for a while Salah is a top CF and has all the attributes to be one... Klopp has played him centrally in his last two games by the way so I think he's on the same page as me.
    That wasn't the point. The point is that someone you (very correctly) see as a top forward didn't cost anywhere near £100 million. So it makes me wonder why you're so concerned that we'd suddenly go off and spend £100 million on a top goalscorer, when our best forward was available for a third of that price.

No, but as FIOS and I have both said, I don't think we would need to go up to £100 million.
    Then great! I just dont think there are many £50m CF's out there that could improve us much. PEA and Werner are certainly two but would they cost under £50m? im not so sure. Would Lyon sell Mariano after just one season? There is the likes of Volland and Mertens but they are not the natural #9 that we are talking about here.

Then great! I just dont think there are many £50m CF's out there that could improve us much. PEA and Werner are certainly two but would they cost under £50m? im not so sure. Would Lyon sell Mariano after just one season? There is the likes of Volland and Mertens but they are not the natural #9 that we are talking about here.
    I'd be happy to spend more than £50 million on Werner. He's 21 and already one of the best centre forwards in Europe. He'd be a mainstay in the team for over a decade. I don't think for a moment though that it'd come closer to £100 million than £50 million.

You insinuated that Werner would cost a similar amount to what they wanted to Keita. If you weren't doing this then any comment about Keita's price is completely redundant. So what exactly was your point?

You then said we shouldn't be blowing our budget on him. Again, we wouldn't need to.

That wasn't the point. The point is that someone you (very correctly) see as a top forward didn't cost anywhere near £100 million. So it makes me wonder why you're so concerned that we'd suddenly go off and spend £100 million on a top goalscorer, when our best forward was available for a third of that price.
    I mentioned Salah plenty last year on here as potentially a great player for us, £35m was a snip for him, I expected over £45m. Right now with the market as it is, I dont see many 'Salah's' about. If you think the likes of Richarlison will be leaving Watford next summer for around £50m that says it all, great player but the market is just mad.

You insinuated that Werner would cost a similar amount to what they wanted to Keita. If you weren't doing this then any comment about Keita's price is completely redundant. So what exactly was your point?

You then said we shouldn't be blowing our budget on him. Again, we wouldn't need to.
    We went into the last day of the summer transfer window with £175 million burning a hole in our pockets. Buying Werner wouldn't blow our budget at all.

No, RB said Keita would have cost us double was it not for his release clause, so how much do you think they will want for their best player Werner?

I'd be happy to spend more than £50 million on Werner. He's 21 and already one of the best centre forwards in Europe. He'd be a mainstay in the team for over a decade. I don't think for a moment though that it'd come closer to £100 million than £50 million.
    Werner would be great. The ideal signing (in terms of realistic forward options), in my opinion.

I mentioned Salah plenty last year on here as potentially a great player for us, £35m was a snip for him, I expected over £45m. Right now with the market as it is, I dont see many 'Salah's' about. If you think the likes of Richarlison will be leaving Watford next summer for around £50m that says it all, great player but the market is just mad.
    It is mad, but it's a function of the money that's available to teams to spend these days. Player values have increased commensurately with club wealth. So while the fees sound eye-watering, you're right, it's because clubs are much richer now. The TV deal in England has changed an awful lot in that regard. £50 million is going to become a much more regular fee than it was back even five to six years ago.

I think I've changed my mind on getting a striker. Firmino works so well there atm and we have Solanke coming through to develop. I'd like to see us bring in another versatile wide player to rotate with. Maybe someone like Promes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    Werner would be great. The ideal signing (in terms of realistic forward options), in my opinion.
    Definitely. He's quick, skilful and he's a lovely finisher. I'd love to see him in a front three with Mané and Salah being supported by Firmino in behind.

Why do you keep fixating on £100m on a striker. It's stupid. Only you have come up with this fictional figure.

We arent going to spend £100m on a striker. You know it. We know it. Klopp knows it.

And more importantly, the manager isn't going to sign players for x amount of money if it is to the detriment of signing other players he wants or needs. Give the man some credit.

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-Simon-95 View Post
    I think I've changed my mind on getting a striker. Firmino works so well there atm and we have Solanke coming through to develop. I'd like to see us bring in another versatile wide player to rotate with. Maybe someone like Promes.
    The problem with that is that if Firmino goes down with an injury we're relying on a teenager who's not very experienced. We still have a bit of a gap in that position and Solanke isn't the player to fill it.

I see Werner as a top player for anyone in Europe, if we were struggling in front of goal id happily spend £100m on him today. But he's a goal scorer and we have scored 63 goals so far and it only December. We need to relplace sturridge and he'd be perfect but I just dont think we should be spending £100m on a player who's job it is to score goals.

No, RB said Keita would have cost us double was it not for his release clause, so how much do you think they will want for their best player Werner?
    Right, so now you were saying Werner would cost £100m? And that we shouldn't blow our budget on him. Meaning the budget we'd be blowing would be £100m.

Kinell, youre hard work.

The problem with that is that if Firmino goes down with an injury we're relying on a teenager who's not very experienced. We still have a bit of a gap in that position and Solanke isn't the player to fill it.
    Fair enough, I wouldn't be upset if we got a striker. But I think in that scenario if Solanke couldn't cut it, Salah or Mane could play CF.

It is mad, but it's a function of the money that's available to teams to spend these days. Player values have increased commensurately with club wealth. So while the fees sound eye-watering, you're right, it's because clubs are much richer now. The TV deal in England has changed an awful lot in that regard. £50 million is going to become a much more regular fee than it was back even five to six years ago.
    But still we are not mega rich, £50m is still a bid sum for us but a sum we are fine paying, hence the £74m bid for Lemar.

I dont see many (non elite level) CF's out there for around £50m that would improve us dramatically in front of goal. Martial is worth £100m all day long and he wouldn't improve our 11 much, same for Rashford.

Right, so now you were saying Werner would cost £100m? And that we shouldn't blow our budget on him. Meaning the budget we'd be blowing would be £100m.

Kinell, youre hard work.
    No, we obviously have have more than £100m but how much will a decent LB, CB, DM and a GK cost? We need to focus on our weak points this summer and the least of our worries is putting the ball in the net.

I'd rather spend £60m on Werner and do without signing a couple of full backs, to be entirely honest.

I'd rather spend £60m on Werner and do without signing a couple of full backs, to be entirely honest.
    So your happy with Milner/Moreno/Robertson at LB? really??

So your happy with Milner/Moreno/Robertson at LB? really??
    I am perfectly happy with that to be fair

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-Simon-95 View Post
    I am perfectly happy with that to be fair
    What about CB? DM? GK? they are all way way above a CF on my priority list.

No, we obviously have have more than £100m but how much will a decent LB, CB, DM and a GK cost? We need to focus on our weak points this summer and the least of our worries is putting the ball in the net.
    Not having an actual striker is a weak point. It's every bit as important as the full back positions.

We arent going to sign a defensive midfielder to replace Henderson. Klopp isn't going to have an entirely new midfield next summer. He has Keita coming in. Keita will play alongside Henderson. What he may do is sign another midfielder to replace Can, should he leave.

I dont even think we will sign a new keeper either.

And I think we have the funds to purchase Van Dijk right now.