Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 4 contributing goals better than out and out striker?

Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    If we look at Keita being Can's replacement, who is Coutinho's?
    It depends what Klopp wants to do. I think we'll see more of his traditional 2-3 next season with Henderson and Keita playing in the two. It might be that Klopp then looks for a proper striker but I'm not entirely sure he wants that. It could be that we see any three from Mane, Salah, Firmino, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lallana playing with that striker, or he could follow up on the interest in Lemar or similar and not sign a striker at all.

I think what will happen if Can leaves is that we'll see another young midfielder come in to flesh out the squad.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    If we look at Keita being Can's replacement, who is Coutinho's?
    You don't replace Coutinho like for like. You get a partner for Keita who is equally adapt at creating chances as he is at shielding the defense. You then buy the best striker you can afford. You'll be more solid in defence and this will give the attackers a better platform to create and score goals.

elrojo2005 is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by KloppOfTheWorld View Post
    This has been done to death and raises its head every time we thump someone.

Every side can benefit from an out and out goalscorer no doubt but the setup of this side, the style Klopp wants to play together with the intricate passing, movement, awareness and most importantly unselfishness of our front 4 means that we really dont need one.

We have 'multiple threats' something that a single axis of attack cannot provide.

We've been in the top 3 goalscorers in the League for about 5yrs running, it's all about necessity and we have other areas of the squad that need addressing.

There's a tiny rumour about Aubameyang but personally I would not splash a kings ransom on him, would.i have him? Yes, but not at a ridiculous fee.

If there's one thing Klopp has proven over his Years of management, he is pretty much the best in the business at identifying attacking Talent that fit his model and getting them at stupidly low fees.

Our attacking prowess is about the last thing we need to tweak at the moment and fair play to Klopp for making it such.
    This......and thanks for saving me the trouble!

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    At Dortmund, Lewandowski was still more or less a recognised centre forward, but with a similar role of being a presser/harasser of the opponents' defenders. So. As long as attacking and defensive tasks are done, there should be no "difference".

It's not that important IMO, also if you bring in this out & out striker, it's possible then that our other attacking players have to change the way they play to suit him....no such problems at the moment.

I also think for example, that second goal against Spartak for Coutinho doesn't happen with a traditional 9...that little perfectly waited pull back for Coutinho I think a more traditional striker doesn't see that pass. Firmino sees & does so much.

Then for our third goal when Firmino lashes home first time, well that is a strikers instinctive finish.

No problem with us adding a striker in principle like but they'll be on the bench most of the time...just with a bigger name

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    It's not that important IMO, also if you bring in this out & out striker, it's possible then that our other attacking players have to change the way they play to suit him....no such problems at the moment.

I also think for example, that second goal against Spartak for Coutinho doesn't happen with a traditional 9...that little perfectly waited pull back for Coutinho I think a more traditional striker doesn't see that pass. Firmino sees & does so much.

Then for our third goal when Firmino lashes home first time, well that is a strikers instinctive finish.

No problem with us adding a striker in principle like but they'll be on the bench most of the time...just with a bigger name
    agreed, and in all seriousness which name would sign to sit on the bench. and ofc if your on about a "name" how much would they cost, to sit on the bench? i swear people don't think things through..

if we look at how we play, then we have moved away from a single threat to a multiple threat - who does the opposition mark? i can see the allure of a proper striker for some games, but then your left with what happens the rest of the time.

Why do people think adding a mobile striker then means our other forwards become less productive and less of a threat? That it suddenly makes us one dimensional. It makes absolutely no sense.

Werner is a great example of the kind of mobile striker who would be perfect for the way we and Klopp wants to play. He's fast, great movement, comes deep and works hard. He's exactly the kind of striker who our other forwards would play with perfectly. And of course is clinical.
    Last edited by FIOS; 9-12-17 at 15:54.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Why do people think adding a mobile striker then means our other forwards become less productive and less of a threat? That it suddenly makes us one dimensional. It makes absolutely no sense.

Werner is a great example of the kind of mobile striker who would be perfect for the way we and Klopp wants to play. He's fast, great movement, comes deep and works hard. He's exactly the kind of striker who our other forwards would play with perfectly. And of course is clinical.
    I don't think that but it is a risk of course, how can it not be. There is no guarantee a new striker would bed in & work well with our other players, whereas we already know Firmino does, because it's happening most weeks. That's a guaranteed reality right there.

We should always try & improve the squad so another top class striker as an option would be most welcome, but I still think the way this team plays & how Klopp likes it, that striker would be on the bench more often than not...at least initially

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    agreed, and in all seriousness which name would sign to sit on the bench. and ofc if your on about a "name" how much would they cost, to sit on the bench? i swear people don't think things through..

if we look at how we play, then we have moved away from a single threat to a multiple threat - who does the opposition mark? i can see the allure of a proper striker for some games, but then your left with what happens the rest of the time.
    Some games it could prove to be ideal, but finding a player as you say who is happy with that & wants to come is no easy task.

Still, if it can be done then great.

I don't think that but it is a risk of course, how can it not be. There is no guarantee a new striker would bed in & work well with our other players, whereas we already know Firmino does, because it's happening most weeks. That's a guaranteed reality right there.

We should always try & improve the squad so another top class striker as an option would be most welcome, but I still think the way this team plays & how Klopp likes it, that striker would be on the bench more often than not...at least initially
    We need a striker though. We've had Sturride and Solanke both play in 20 games between them. We've played Salah through the middle, and Coutinho on the left of the front three. It isn't like this striker would just be sat on his arse. You need more than four quality forwards playing in these front three or four positions.

And signing the right kind of striker makes the team no less dynamic than it is nor does it mean we become over reliant on one player.

We need a striker though. We've had Sturride and Solanke both play in 20 games between them. We've played Salah through the middle, and Coutinho on the left of the front three. It isn't like this striker would just be sat on his arse. You need more than four quality forwards playing in these front three or four positions.

And signing the right kind of striker makes the team no less dynamic than it is nor does it mean we become over reliant on one player.
    It's the right type that is the key.

I'd prefer getting one in than relying on Sturridge as that other competing option, put it that way

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Some games it could prove to be ideal, but finding a player as you say who is happy with that & wants to come is no easy task.

Still, if it can be done then great.
    agree, but i just very much any "top" striker would do that as they would want to play. and that imo is where this argument falls down.

Everything stays the same if you dont bring in a lump of a striker, the movement is still maintained only more goals are added.

People make it sound like this front 4 have been doing this all season when you can count in one hand the times they have played together and even been impressive

Get Aubameyang in! If Coutinho leaves, he will be missed but I think Firmino will shine in the number 10 role.

Front 4

- Aubameyang -

Mane - Firmino - Salah

(Ox & Lallana as subs)

This. I dont know where people get this idea that only these four can play the way they play, they haven't even started a lot of games together .

We need both types. And lots of them, so when the inevitable injuries/drop in form occur we are not so disrupted.

With regards to a top striker being placed on the bench, it’s not really the case. We play twice a week for the most part of the long English season. So it makes perfect sense to strengthen the offensive aspect of the game due to the amount of energy spent by our mobile front force. We have the option of always three substitutes to bring on during the game.

I would go for the best quality mobile striker to add to our front line. However the funds available for this must be second priority as we need a top CB as we mostly all agree and maybe others if we do lose Countinho. My priority is retain, Phil, get VVD and then it’s the out and out mobile stiker. Not concerned this January with mid field . Next summer is the time to look into the midfield. Let’s face it we can’t win the league, the striker but would be more than likely CL cup tied so best we can reasonably expect is to use what we have to crack a cup trophy.

KoppityKloppity is online now Academy prospect

Don't think many are against a Werner type striker, I'm not anyway, I wouldn't want a striker to come in who just scores goals like a Lukaku. Might sound daft as goals are want you want but I don't think that type of player would suit us or that we have the right players currently to suit that type of striker.

Quote Originally Posted by KoppityKloppity View Post
    Don't think many are against a Werner type striker, I'm not anyway, I wouldn't want a striker to come in who just scores goals like a Lukaku. Might sound daft as goals are want you want but I don't think that type of player would suit us or that we have the right players currently to suit that type of striker.
    I think quite a few seem to be against signing any sort of striker for fear of disrupting our currently forwards. That's the argument I frequently encounter.