Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 contributing goals better than out and out striker?

1. #1 Default 4 contributing goals better than out and out striker? 
    During the summer there were a lot of calls to bring in an out and out striker. I argued that it was better for us to have 4 goal scorers in Coutinho, Mane, Salah and Firmino.

I didn't think it would go so well but I did think they could all get 20 goals this season and into December they are all on track:
    Salah 18
    Firmino 12
    Coutinho 9
    Mane 7

A lot of people brought up Harry Kane but what do people think now? My feeling is still it's better to share the goals out than relying on 1 guy and 1 injury cuts off your goals.
    Bringing this up now as rumours of Aubameyang are starting again.

What do people think, splash huge money on an out and out striker or strengthen behind those 4, players like Ox and Lallana?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by KingKenny_72 View Post
    During the summer there were a lot of calls to bring in an out and out striker. I argued that it was better for us to have 4 goal scorers in Coutinho, Mane, Salah and Firmino.

I didn't think it would go so well but I did think they could all get 20 goals this season and into December they are all on track:
    Salah 18
    Firmino 12
    Coutinho 9
    Mane 7

A lot of people brought up Harry Kane but what do people think now? My feeling is still it's better to share the goals out than relying on 1 guy and 1 injury cuts off your goals.
    Bringing this up now as rumours of Aubameyang are starting again.

What do people think, splash huge money on an out and out striker or strengthen behind those 4, players like Ox and Lallana?
    Well your acting like if we have an out and out goalscorer that the other 4 player will suddenly no longer exist or stop scoring.

The best teams in the world have both.

Imagine having a natural finisher with the work rate of bobby Firmino

Red-And-Proud is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1210 View Post
    Well your acting like if we have an out and out goalscorer that the other 4 player will suddenly no longer exist or stop scoring.

The best teams in the world have both.
    I think it's to do with playing a player like Firmino rather than a out and out striker, somebody who brings the other forwards in to the game rather than a striker being the focul point and the player everyone wants to get the ball to
    Klopps beard twin

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-red View Post
    Imagine having a natural finisher with the work rate of bobby Firmino
    You mean Suarez?
    Klopps beard twin

This has been done to death and raises its head every time we thump someone.

Every side can benefit from an out and out goalscorer no doubt but the setup of this side, the style Klopp wants to play together with the intricate passing, movement, awareness and most importantly unselfishness of our front 4 means that we really dont need one.

We have 'multiple threats' something that a single axis of attack cannot provide.

We've been in the top 3 goalscorers in the League for about 5yrs running, it's all about necessity and we have other areas of the squad that need addressing.

There's a tiny rumour about Aubameyang but personally I would not splash a kings ransom on him, would.i have him? Yes, but not at a ridiculous fee.

If there's one thing Klopp has proven over his Years of management, he is pretty much the best in the business at identifying attacking Talent that fit his model and getting them at stupidly low fees.

Our attacking prowess is about the last thing we need to tweak at the moment and fair play to Klopp for making it such.

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by KloppOfTheWorld View Post
    This has been done to death and raises its head every time we thump someone.

Every side can benefit from an out and out goalscorer no doubt but the setup of this side, the style Klopp wants to play together with the intricate passing, movement, awareness and most importantly unselfishness of our front 4 means that we really dont need one.

We have 'multiple threats' something that a single axis of attack cannot provide.

We've been in the top 3 goalscorers in the League for about 5yrs running, it's all about necessity and we have other areas of the squad that need addressing.

There's a tiny rumour about Aubameyang but personally I would not splash a kings ransom on him, would.i have him? Yes, but not at a ridiculous fee.

If there's one thing Klopp has proven over his Years of management, he is pretty much the best in the business at identifying attacking Talent that fit his model and getting them at stupidly low fees.

Our attacking prowess is about the last thing we need to tweak at the moment and fair play to Klopp for making it such.
    An option B to have an Aubemayang off the bench wouldnt be viable.
    dont look back in anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Red-And-Proud View Post
    You mean Suarez?
    Yes but a younger version.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-red View Post
    Yes but a younger version.
    Just turned 30 and scored 38 in 52 last season with a lazy 18 assists...
    Id have him back in a heartbeat still
    “Do. Or do not. There is no try.”

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    An option B to have an Aubemayang off the bench wouldnt be viable.
    and tbh this really is the crux of the matter as i can't see klopp dismantling our forward line just to fit in a striker. so really,which big name striker is going to come to just sit on the bench..

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    They're not mutually exclusive. There's no reason you can't have a front four where your centre forward picks up more goals than Firmino currently does.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    They're not mutually exclusive. There's no reason you can't have a front four where your centre forward picks up more goals than Firmino currently does.
    Firmino is doing just fine for goals this season. And could arguably have a lot more if he wasn't so unselfish. Most strikers shoot last night for our second goal, Firmino squares it for an even better chance.

Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Firmino is doing just fine for goals this season. And could arguably have a lot more if he wasn't so unselfish. Most strikers shoot last night for our second goal, Firmino squares it for an even better chance.
    Yes, he's doing just fine. If you had Aubameyang he'd probably be doing more than just fine.

LovelyCushionedHeader is online now Academy prospect
    It's hard to say. We've seen that 'out and out' striker Sturridge and he's not looked as fluid with them but hasn't had as much of a chance. I'd like to see an Aubameyang in there but we're hardly in need of attackers.

Yes, he's doing just fine. If you had Aubameyang he'd probably be doing more than just fine.
    you think the players around him would have the same goal tally, or better?
    Klopps beard twin

Quote Originally Posted by Red-And-Proud View Post
    you think the players around him would have the same goal tally, or better?
    Yes. Mané and Salah are too good in front of goal to have a more natural centre forward stop them from scoring.

Yes. Mané and Salah are too good in front of goal to have a more natural centre forward stop them from scoring.
    It isn't about stopping them from scoring. Firmino's play and movement and unselfishness allows them both to thrive. It's not really much of a coincidence that both have had their best scoring seasons at Liverpool. Salah within the first 3 months of him joining as well.

and we have Lallana coming back soon

It isn't about stopping them from scoring. Firmino's play and movement and unselfishness allows them both to thrive. It's not really much of a coincidence that both have had their best scoring seasons at Liverpool. Salah within the first 3 months of him joining as well.
    Firmino is not the primary reason that two top goalscorers are currently scoring plenty of goals.

In any case, you can play Firmino as a number ten and he'll still be able to sacrifice for the strikers, as well as contribute with goals himself.

Firmino is not the primary reason that two top goalscorers are currently scoring plenty of goals.

In any case, you can play Firmino as a number ten and he'll still be able to sacrifice for the strikers, as well as contribute with goals himself.
    No he is not the primary reason but he helps massively.

I don't think he would be anywhere near as effective at what he does as a number 10. The role he has suits him and the team perfectly.

He is very much a contributing factor

I don't think he would be anywhere near as effective at what he does as a number 10. The role he has suits him and the team perfectly.
    I mean, apart from the fact that it's his natural position.

We still need a striker. So, why not sign the very best quality you can?

This seems relatively simple to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdiggerman View Post
    He is very much a contributing factor
    He's averaging one assist every five games. People who think that playing Firmino as a number ten would limit Mané and Salah are overstating the case significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    We still need a striker. So, why not sign the very best quality you can?

This seems relatively simple to me.
    Exactly. Aubameyang is on for a goal a game this season. Literally a goal a game. That's more than Firmino contributes in combined goals and assists.

Exactly. Aubameyang is on for a goal a game this season. Literally a goal a game. That's more than Firmino contributes in combined goals and assists.
    and hes is as fast as Mane and Salah

He is a realistic target to be honest.

He pretty much played as a ten yesterday. Or at least where people mean when they say they want him to play as a ten, i.e. off the striker.

Quote Originally Posted by -Nelly- View Post
    He pretty much played as a ten yesterday. Or at least where people mean when they say they want him to play as a ten, i.e. off the striker.
    Indeed. So I don't see the harm in actually putting a top striker in front of him.

firmino deserves every bit of praise he's getting the now and he's in great form but you'd still be mad to turn down auba.

we could fit them both into the team
    Eagle Face Moron

There are a number ways of looking at this, none mutually exclusive.

Any top team with designs on League title and CL would be looking at 50 goals plus out of their main strike force...the conventional striker like Kane or Auba hitting 25-30 with the balance coming from the support strikers. Whether 2 main strikers or 4 attacking players yield this amount is largely irrelevant. On current form Liverpool should comfortably exceed this through Firmino, Salah, Mane, Cou.

Having a "guaranteed" 25 goal striker is obviously a major asset, but injury could have a big impact. Not being overly reliant on one player greatly reduces this risk.

Bringing in someone like Auba to guarantee goals might seem like a no-brainer but would he integrate as efficiently with the other attackers to ensure their rates don't suffer? The beauty with the current LFC options is that they work so harmoniously, and that their level of interplay keeps defences guesssing. At the end of the season its the totals scored that really count, not that the main striker has 40 and the support striker only 5.

I like it the way its is but of course all extra options can only be positive.

Of course with Liverpool the elephant in the room is the amount of goals conceded, not the amount scored. Sort this (consistently) and we're on a winner!