Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 169

Thread: 4 contributing goals better than out and out striker?

  1. #91  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    54,675
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    So your happy with Milner/Moreno/Robertson at LB? really??
    If it meant we signed Werner? Absolutely.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #92  
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,295
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    What about CB? DM? GK? they are all way way above a CF on my priority list.
    No arguments from me there! CB, DM, GK and a replacement for Coutinho is where I think our money next summer should go.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #93  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Not having an actual striker is a weak point. It's every bit as important as the full back positions.

    We arent going to sign a defensive midfielder to replace Henderson. Klopp isn't going to have an entirely new midfield next summer. He has Keita coming in. Keita will play alongside Henderson. What he may do is sign another midfielder to replace Can, should he leave.

    I dont even think we will sign a new keeper either.

    And I think we have the funds to purchase Van Dijk right now.
    100% disagree. It's only a weak point if we are not scoring goals. If we put Milner in goal and he's making more saves and keeping more clean sheets than Mingolet then whats the problem?

    Look at this when we had THREE actual striker in the squad https://twitter.com/football__tweet/...55477189414912 you cant honestly think our squad is weaker now than then because we dont have an actual striker???
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #94  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    If it meant we signed Werner? Absolutely.
    Alaba or Sandro would improve our 11 more than Werner would.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #95  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    54,675
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    Alaba or Sandro would improve our 11 more than Werner would.
    And having Werner in the squad improves us more than having Solanke, Sturridge, and Ings.

    I'd sign the best quality striker we can sign ahead of most any other position as a priority. I would always have the best strikers we can find. No full back is going to influence a game more than having top quality strikers in your team. Absolutely none.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #96  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    54,675
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    100% disagree. It's only a weak point if we are not scoring goals. If we put Milner in goal and he's making more saves and keeping more clean sheets than Mingolet then whats the problem?

    Look at this when we had THREE actual striker in the squad https://twitter.com/football__tweet/...55477189414912 you cant honestly think our squad is weaker now than then because we dont have an actual striker???
    Youre making ridiculous points now. Of course it's a weak point. There is a drastic drop in quality when our alternatives to Firmino are Sturridge or Solanke. We need to sign another one. So sign the best quality you can sign.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #97  
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,716
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Youre making ridiculous points now. Of course it's a weak point. There is a drastic drop in quality when our alternatives to Firmino are Sturridge or Solanke. We need to sign another one. So sign the best quality you can sign.
    Basically agree, my priority would be top CB first, best quality striker followed by best creative player to replace Phil, if he goes. Think we can do all three, just hope the best available players are interested in joining us.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #98  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Youre making ridiculous points now. Of course it's a weak point. There is a drastic drop in quality when our alternatives to Firmino are Sturridge or Solanke. We need to sign another one. So sign the best quality you can sign.
    But the last two games Salah has played up front so it's Firmino/Salah as the first choice front man. Solanke is and always was going to be a bit part player this season, Sturridge has struggled and looks to be on his way out but still our weakness is NOT with our attacking options like you suggest. Read a book called 'The Numbers Game' it's excellent and explains what I'm saying here. You have to do risk assessments on your squad, if you are looking at our squad, after scoring over 60 goals by the start of December and saying "we need a goal scorer" then you are doing it all wrong.

    A risk assessment on our squad would be....

    1. Our Keeper is making the least saves in the league bar one or two other keepers.
    2. We conceded more set plays than most other teams in the league.
    3. We are relying on two inexperienced rights backs.
    4. We are having to play CM's as make shift CB's and LB's.

    Those are will then be top priority issues to look at this Jan/Summer coming.

    Our forward line is being spoke about as the best in Europe right now, better than Barca or City so to prioritise adding to that is just madness. We all agree Sturridge needs replacing and most would love Werner or PEA but it simply isnt a priority while we keep conceding set plays every week.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #99  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    And having Werner in the squad improves us more than having Solanke, Sturridge, and Ings.

    I'd sign the best quality striker we can sign ahead of most any other position as a priority. I would always have the best strikers we can find. No full back is going to influence a game more than having top quality strikers in your team. Absolutely none.
    How when two have hardly played and one hasn't played at all? Werner will not come here to sit on the bench every week like Solanke does.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #100  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ottershaw View Post
    Basically agree, my priority would be top CB first, best quality striker followed by best creative player to replace Phil, if he goes. Think we can do all three, just hope the best available players are interested in joining us.
    Your 2nd priority would be a striker when we are still crap in Midfield and playing inexperienced full backs?

    Im finding this hard to believe that after scoring over 60 goals by the start of December fans still arnt happy with the forwards.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #101  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    54,675
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    How when two have hardly played and one hasn't played at all? Werner will not come here to sit on the bench every week like Solanke does.
    Sturridge has played in 14 games this season, and Solanke 12.

    What are you on about?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #102  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Sturridge has played in 14 games this season, and Solanke 12.

    What are you on about?
    But stated how many? 4/5? you really think a) Werner would come here and do that and b) that would improve us more than a CB,RB,LB,DM and a GK?

    If we were struggling to score id 100% agree with you, but we are scoring for fun and people are saying we have the best attack in Europe! another forward is NOT our priority right now. It would be great to have Wenrer, ive been his biggest fan for ages on here but if it was a choice between Werner and VVD if tak VVD all day long. We could probably buy both but I dont want us spending ridiculous amounts on Werner while we are shoe horning Milner in at LB still.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #103  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    54,675
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    Your 2nd priority would be a striker when we are still crap in Midfield and playing inexperienced full backs?

    Im finding this hard to believe that after scoring over 60 goals by the start of December fans still arnt happy with the forwards.
    We've already signed one of the best centre mids for next season.

    I don't know what you find hard to believe. We don't have a striker of comparable quality to our other forwards. We quite obviously need a new striker. People are proposing we sign the best quality we can sign, and Werner absolutely fits that bill. You, on the other hand, prefers to sign full backs. That's fine. That's your preference. There's nothing remotely incredulous about people thinking it would be better to sign one of the best young strikers round instead.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #104  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    54,675
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    But stated how many? 4/5? you really think a) Werner would come here and do that and b) that would improve us more than a CB,RB,LB,DM and a GK?

    If we were struggling to score id 100% agree with you, but we are scoring for fun and people are saying we have the best attack in Europe! another forward is NOT our priority right now. It would be great to have Wenrer, ive been his biggest fan for ages on here but if it was a choice between Werner and VVD if tak VVD all day long. We could probably buy both but I dont want us spending ridiculous amounts on Werner while we are shoe horning Milner in at LB still.
    I've already been through with you? I think we will sign a centre half anyway. I dont think we'll sign a defensive midfielder or a keeper. And yes Werner would improve us ahead of any full back. And on top of that, we arent going to sign Alaba or Sandro either.

    Why would we be playing Milner at left back? How many times has he played left back this year? We actually signed a left back, so play him?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #105  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    We've already signed one of the best centre mids for next season.

    I don't know what you find hard to believe. We don't have a striker of comparable quality to our other forwards. We quite obviously need a new striker. People are proposing we sign the best quality we can sign, and Werner absolutely fits that bill. You, on the other hand, prefers to sign full backs. That's fine. That's your preference. There's nothing remotely incredulous about people thinking it would be better to sign one of the best young strikers round instead.
    This train of thought is just mad! imo we have the best attacking options in Europe right now, that opinion is backed up by the FACT we have scored over 60 goals so far. If you asked 100 football fans what Liverpool's weakness is, not one person would say attack or "they quite obviously need a new striker" We have conceded 17 goals away from home, only West Ham have conceded more!, the majority coming from dead ball situation, that is our weakness and thats what needs addressing asap. If we sign Werner in Jan I dont think we stand a chance of winning the CL, but sign VVD, a LB and a top class keeper and Id say we have a chance.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #106  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    I've already been through with you? I think we will sign a centre half anyway. I dont think we'll sign a defensive midfielder or a keeper. And yes Werner would improve us ahead of any full back. And on top of that, we arent going to sign Alaba or Sandro either.

    Why would we be playing Milner at left back? How many times has he played left back this year? We actually signed a left back, so play him?
    Hand on heart do you think Werner would get in our 11 right now and if so who would drop to the bench?

    If you say our strongest 11 is....

    ----------------SM--------------
    Clyne--Lovren--Matip--Moreno
    -----Lallana-Can-Coutinho-----
    -Salah-----Bobby-----Mane----

    Who does Werner replace?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #107  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    54,675
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    This train of thought is just mad! imo we have the best attacking options in Europe right now, that opinion is backed up by the FACT we have scored over 60 goals so far. If you asked 100 football fans what Liverpool's weakness is, not one person would say attack or "they quite obviously need a new striker" We have conceded 17 goals away from home, only West Ham have conceded more!, the majority coming from dead ball situation, that is our weakness and thats what needs addressing asap. If we sign Werner in Jan I dont think we stand a chance of winning the CL, but sign VVD, a LB and a top class keeper and Id say we have a chance.
    It isn't remotely mad. Our striker options outside of the front three who play every week arent strong. We need another striker. You know this is true, so whats the point in arguing?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #108  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    It isn't remotely mad. Our striker options outside of the front three who play every week arent strong. We need another striker. You know this is true, so whats the point in arguing?
    We need to replace Sturridge 100%, but its not a priority, not by a long way. And I dont want to replace Sturridge with someone who upsets the apple cart, Werner would be perfect but I think he would only be happy playing that means someone being injured. IMO Werner would cost north on £75m (knowing RB and how they do deals) If we were not scoring id happily pay £100m for him but not when we have bigger issues. We cant be spending that kind of money to improve the squad when the first 11 is leaking goals left right and centre.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #109  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    54,675
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    Hand on heart do you think Werner would get in our 11 right now and if so who would drop to the bench?

    If you say our strongest 11 is....

    ----------------SM--------------
    Clyne--Lovren--Matip--Moreno
    -----Lallana-Can-Coutinho-----
    -Salah-----Bobby-----Mane----

    Who does Werner replace?
    Any of the front three or four.

    We've had Coutinho play on the left in half of those games he's played this season, because Mane was out.

    Coutinho, Firmino, Mane and Salah have only played together a handful of times this season.

    You can play any permutation of Werner, Firmino, Mane, Salah or Coutinho. I'm struggling to accept that you dont think this significantly makes the side better.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #110  
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    54,675
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    We need to replace Sturridge 100%, but its not a priority, not by a long way. And I dont want to replace Sturridge with someone who upsets the apple cart, Werner would be perfect but I think he would only be happy playing that means someone being injured. IMO Werner would cost north on £75m (knowing RB and how they do deals) If we were not scoring id happily pay £100m for him but not when we have bigger issues. We cant be spending that kind of money to improve the squad when the first 11 is leaking goals left right and centre.
    I'd be perfectly fine if we signed Van Dijk, Keita and Werner in the next couple of windows.

    How can I complain if we sign quality players? Especially so when I've already said that I think a quality striker can influence a game more than full backs.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #111  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,965
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    Exactly. Aubameyang is on for a goal a game this season. Literally a goal a game. That's more than Firmino contributes in combined goals and assists.
    But he would have the same instructions as Firmino and playing in our style suits Firmino more. Sure Aubameyang would be a wonderful addition but he wouldn't allow the fluidity of our front four to work so seamlessly, Firmino naturally sacrifices himself to allow that to happen. Take the second goal for example v Spartak most forwards wouldn't have helped that ball along.

    What i will say is I would still love him at the club and that quality if options is what we need to aspire to.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #112  
    MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    56,320
    Quote Originally Posted by mymagaveurmaadigonthenose View Post
    But he would have the same instructions as Firmino and playing in our style suits Firmino more. Sure Aubameyang would be a wonderful addition but he wouldn't allow the fluidity of our front four to work so seamlessly, Firmino naturally sacrifices himself to allow that to happen. Take the second goal for example v Spartak most forwards wouldn't have helped that ball along.

    What i will say is I would still love him at the club and that quality if options is what we need to aspire to.
    I don't see any reason for that whatsoever. Aubameyang has a hell of a work ethic. Plus Mané and Salah contribute assists just as often as Firmino does.

    Also you can feasibly have Firmino and Aubameyang in the same team.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #113  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    62,243
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    Alaba or Sandro would improve our 11 more than Werner would.
    and De Gea would improve us even more than any of those but realistically is not going to happen.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #114  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    62,243
    Quote Originally Posted by mymagaveurmaadigonthenose View Post
    But he would have the same instructions as Firmino and playing in our style suits Firmino more. Sure Aubameyang would be a wonderful addition but he wouldn't allow the fluidity of our front four to work so seamlessly, Firmino naturally sacrifices himself to allow that to happen. Take the second goal for example v Spartak most forwards wouldn't have helped that ball along.

    What i will say is I would still love him at the club and that quality if options is what we need to aspire to.
    I think you are only saying this because Firmino is here and Aubamayang is not.
    The system is now working sweet but this won't last forever or will work for every game, no system does, when that happens we will score less goals, having a goalscorer pretty much guarantee you goals in any system.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #115  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    Any of the front three or four.

    We've had Coutinho play on the left in half of those games he's played this season, because Mane was out.

    Coutinho, Firmino, Mane and Salah have only played together a handful of times this season.

    You can play any permutation of Werner, Firmino, Mane, Salah or Coutinho. I'm struggling to accept that you dont think this significantly makes the side better.
    Only players like Neymar or Messi would make our strike force significantly better at the minute. Take away say Bobby who has scored 12 and got 6 assists, to improve on that you need real real top class like Griezman. Can Werner improve on Bobbys stats? I think probably but not much so it wouldn't be worth the huge outlay required to land him, if we could get him to replace Sturridge for say £50m great! but I dont think its doable right now, not in this market and especially not with RB who we know are hard to deal with. Right now I wouldn't swap any of Mane, Phil, Bobby or Salah for Werner and I'm a huge Werner fan.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #116  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by mymagaveurmaadigonthenose View Post
    But he would have the same instructions as Firmino and playing in our style suits Firmino more. Sure Aubameyang would be a wonderful addition but he wouldn't allow the fluidity of our front four to work so seamlessly, Firmino naturally sacrifices himself to allow that to happen. Take the second goal for example v Spartak most forwards wouldn't have helped that ball along.

    What i will say is I would still love him at the club and that quality if options is what we need to aspire to.
    Aubamayang, Mane and Salah would be a scary front three. Aubamayang may not be as creative as Bobby, he only got 3 assists all last season and Bobby has 6 already but he'd score plenty of goals, I dont care who scores then as long as we socre. Also im confident Bobby could drop into Coutinho's role as the floating creative CM, he may even score more from there becase the front three will be occupying the defenders creating space for Bobby.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #117  
    BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    42,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    and De Gea would improve us even more than any of those but realistically is not going to happen.
    But there are literally dozens of realistic keepers out there better than the two we have at the club, but can you name dozens of realistic forwards better than Mane, Salah or Bobby?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #118  
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,423
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    In today's market if we want to buy "the very best quality" as you said we need, you are talking way over £100m. Griezman, Kane, Icardi, those are the very best quality and would cost way over £100m. I dont believe we could buy say Griezman and VVD AND a new keeper.
    We can when we sell Coutinho for £200m plus.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #119  
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    It isn't remotely mad. Our striker options outside of the front three who play every week arent strong. We need another striker. You know this is true, so whats the point in arguing?
    I agree with you that Werner would be a great addition if we could get him. However, he doesn’t start in a fully fit side. Whereas a CM or CB or GK of such quality (comparative to their position) will start when fit. Therefore the need is greater elsewhere in the side and at the moment there are 4 other positions where that need is greater imo. GK, CB x 2, CM. If he comes in with those 4, then great; if its a case of prioritising, then he would be 5th on that list.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #120  
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    24,112
    Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    In today's market if we want to buy "the very best quality" as you said we need, you are talking way over £100m. Griezman, Kane, Icardi, those are the very best quality and would cost way over £100m. I dont believe we could buy say Griezman and VVD AND a new keeper.
    Technically we can buy Griezmann if he wanted to come here. His release clause is still 100m euro isn't it?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •