Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Star Wars The Last Jedi. *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    Kylo is my biggest issue. He’s just not a credible villain.
    I love Kylo, he’s a very GRRM’esque ‘villain’. A young ‘grey’ character who has inner conflict like any other character, torn between the ‘old way’ and his ‘own way’. The actor ********** it up completely. In fact, the casting for the new Star Wars movies has been pretty rubbish including Rey. I was surprised the casting Director also worked on Game of Thrones as they were some of the best cast actors I could have imagined. Not sure what went wrong there..

I loved Jyn Erso, she was brilliant and did a great job in Rogue.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Acumen is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    I love Kylo, he’s a very GRRM’esque ‘villain’. A young ‘grey’ character who has inner conflict like any other character, torn between the ‘old way’ and his ‘own way’. The actor ********** it up completely. In fact, the casting for the new Star Wars movies has been pretty rubbish including Rey. I was surprised the casting Director also worked on Game of Thrones as they were some of the best cast actors I could have imagined. Not sure what went wrong there..

I loved Jyn Erso, she was brilliant and did a great job in Rogue.
    I'm ok with a character having conflict. As a villain though, you need to be menacing. That's what's missing from Kylo Ren. There isn't any threat to be felt.

I'm ok with a character having conflict. As a villain though, you need to be menacing. That's what's missing from Kylo Ren. There isn't any threat to be felt.
    Again, I blame the actor. Snokesy calls him a ‘potential Vader’, It sure didn’t feel like it but should have.

The Kylo we get in Battlefront 2 is the badass Kylo we should’ve seen in the movies

Again, I blame the actor. Snokesy calls him a ‘potential Vader’, It sure didn’t feel like it but should have.

The Kylo we get in Battlefront 2 is the badass Kylo we should’ve seen in the movies
    He's a different character with the mask on.

I mean he wasn't exactly given gold to work with. I get the inner conflict thing but let's not pretend they wrote a great script for Kylo.

He's a different character with the mask on.
    Probably should have worn it more. Just something about him that doesn't quite threaten you and he doesn't really compensate.

Although I think he would have been fine if they had written a better story.

Quote Originally Posted by Megali-Idea View Post
    I mean he wasn't exactly given gold to work with. I get the inner conflict thing but let's not pretend they wrote a great script for Kylo.

Probably should have worn it more. Just something about him that doesn't quite threaten you and he doesn't really compensate.

Although I think he would have been fine if they had written a better story.
    He would have been fine as an auxiliary character.

He would have been fine as an auxiliary character.
    I mean that's all the Sith have ever been in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Megali-Idea View Post
    I mean that's all the Sith have ever been in the movies.
    Are you Greek?

Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    Are you Greek?
    Yessir. You too I'm guessing? Living in California right now though. Going back this summer, can't wait.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like JJ Abrams has been left to work a miracle with the last movie, No Luke, hardly any rebels left, the story is up **** creek and the biggest remaining character is now lacking Carrie Fisher to play her.

I have a feeling that Force ghost Luke will definitely feature, I wonder what the chances are of Lando poping up at some point ?
    There is a lot of work to be done for sure, as long as Chewie survives I will be alright though I reckon !

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    The more I think about it, the more it seems like JJ Abrams has been left to work a miracle with the last movie, No Luke, hardly any rebels left, the story is up **** creek and the biggest remaining character is now lacking Carrie Fisher to play her.

I have a feeling that Force ghost Luke will definitely feature, I wonder what the chances are of Lando poping up at some point ?
    There is a lot of work to be done for sure, as long as Chewie survives I will be alright though I reckon !
    The problem for me is how to make it unpredictable without upsetting the core audience for Disney, kids. Will Disney ever be receptive to killing off both Rey and Kylo, probably not, especially with KK at the helm. As much as people who liked the film say TLJ took Star Wars in a new direction, I’d quite disagree. They set up the same good vs evil, Empire vs Rebellion again for the final act. Very similar and very predictable. Makes me appreciate the prequels, not because they were good films, but they showed us Star Wars in a different era with different feel. Not all of Star Wars has to be in Forests, or Deserts, or Snow Planets.

The problem for me is how to make it unpredictable without upsetting the core audience for Disney, kids. Will Disney ever be receptive to killing off both Rey and Kylo, probably not, especially with KK at the helm. As much as people who liked the film say TLJ took Star Wars in a new direction, I’d quite disagree. They set up the same good vs evil, Empire vs Rebellion again for the final act. Very similar and very predictable. Makes me appreciate the prequels, not because they were good films, but they showed us Star Wars in a different era with different feel. Not all of Star Wars has to be in Forests, or Deserts, or Snow Planets.
    You're talking about the star wars fan base here, some love it and some hate it with opinions being far and wide from each other. If they didn't want this reaction they should have left the original trilogy alone and started from scratch in another part of the Galaxy far far FAR away.

I would just like to say that without context of the last film, we've no idea how this will all tie together. Watching the original trilogy again recently I can see how opinion was polarised back then to but with a few decades under its belt its a cracking space adventure. This COULD be the same for this film.

Some of the sub text in the original really makes you think, a few youtube channels were recommended in the movie thread for star wars and they really make you want to double check (even 1 to 3).
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Yea well said, all it did was rehash an old story, Disney were always going to take this safe easy route with the main trilogy too, its a proven money maker and I am pretty sure there will be more just like it also.

I just hope that we get to see some more of the universe, another galaxy far far away at some point, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    Yea well said, all it did was rehash an old story, Disney were always going to take this safe easy route with the main trilogy too, its a proven money maker and I am pretty sure there will be more just like it also.

I just hope that we get to see some more of the universe, another galaxy far far away at some point, hopefully.
    A word that has been used often to describe TFA is Reboot. I know the prequels were flawed films, but the idea of a reboot is something that was completely alien to me until I heard people using the phrase. This is the sequel trilogy and it can restore the magic of Star Wars without borrowing the same storyline of the original trilogy. Its a shame really.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    You're talking about the star wars fan base here, some love it and some hate it with opinions being far and wide from each other. If they didn't want this reaction they should have left the original trilogy alone and started from scratch in another part of the Galaxy far far FAR away.

I would just like to say that without context of the last film, we've no idea how this will all tie together. Watching the original trilogy again recently I can see how opinion was polarised back then to but with a few decades under its belt its a cracking space adventure. This COULD be the same for this film.

Some of the sub text in the original really makes you think, a few youtube channels were recommended in the movie thread for star wars and they really make you want to double check (even 1 to 3).
    I would agree with this except for the fact its Disney. We know Disney is not going to stray too far from what they are used to doing. Also its JJ directing this one. The one fundamental criticism I have about the TLJ when its being lazily compared to the ESB as far as audience criticism goes, is that ESB fits within the scope. Things that ANH starts, ESB carries on and builds. It then moves to ROTJ where we see the story arc concluding appropriately. Its not masterful or suspenseful storytelling, but one story doesn't undermine the other.

That's in large part why I had an issue with TLJ and where it leaves the story from here.