Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars The Last Jedi. *Spoilers*

1. #1 Default Star Wars The Last Jedi. *Spoilers* 
    Anyone else seen it yet? What do you think?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by S_7 View Post
    Probably the worst of the lot, might have been a tad better than Rogue One which isn't Star Wars as in the main run of movies, but would be a toss up.

Perhaps can be summed up by all the AT-ATs etc firing on Luke Skywalker, then as the dust settles he stands there still and dusts off his shoulder (personally I'd have just quipped "missed") although turns out he wasn't there which perhaps they should have twigged - I just assumed it was part of the film being cr ap.....

And what was with the "resistance" bombers?!? Slow moving, stupidly sized and why did they need soooooo many bombs?!??

And perhaps the true sum up of the film was in the silly baiting of the "Last Order" commander Hux or whatever his name was with a prank style call, although it pains me to think of some of the names as they are getting pretty bad. Not to mention the silly Yoda malarkey when he burned all the 'precious' Jedi instruction manuals. And they basically took a load of the cast out of retirement to kill about the pick of them last film, then make Luke appear a complete *insert choice of word here*, Leia just seemed to be plodding through the motions and we barely saw much of C3P0 and R2-D2 who were fairly and pretty fully active in IV-VI.

Just so few likeable characters, a plot that was ok in basic idea but poorly executed, jumped all over the place, had way too much interaction by "bridge" between Ridley (naff) and Driver (godawful), and don't even get me started on Leia in space.....

That may possibly be the worst film I've seen at the cinema, and ranks down with Terminator Genisys, Mad Max rebooted Road or whatever it was called, Racoon et al still without the chocolate bar (GOTG2) and a host of other dreadful films. Standards do seem to be dropping, especially on reboots and long gap continuations, but there are decent films out there so it is possible not to make bad films....

It was so mickey mouse it might as well have been sponsored by Trotters Independent Traders. I dread the next instalment if that is the benchmark, at least VII was passable if just rehashing IV, although elements of VIII seemed to be a bit of V (training and the whole island thing, being chased albeit a fleet not just the MF, and the fight at the base to an extent) and VI with the scenes involving Snoke, Ren and Rey who I wouldn't be at all surprised if they don't turn out to be siblings.

How any critics or indeed anyone can call that "best ever" I do not know, even if you like it there's so much more in IV, VI and even V although I appreciate some like ESB and think it is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Probably the worst of the lot, might have been a tad better than Rogue One which isn't Star Wars as in the main run of movies, but would be a toss up.

Perhaps can be summed up by all the AT-ATs etc firing on Luke Skywalker, then as the dust settles he stands there still and dusts off his shoulder (personally I'd have just quipped "missed") although turns out he wasn't there which perhaps they should have twigged - I just assumed it was part of the film being cr ap.....

And what was with the "resistance" bombers?!? Slow moving, stupidly sized and why did they need soooooo many bombs?!??

And perhaps the true sum up of the film was in the silly baiting of the "Last Order" commander Hux or whatever his name was with a prank style call, although it pains me to think of some of the names as they are getting pretty bad. Not to mention the silly Yoda malarkey when he burned all the 'precious' Jedi instruction manuals. And they basically took a load of the cast out of retirement to kill about the pick of them last film, then make Luke appear a complete *insert choice of word here*, Leia just seemed to be plodding through the motions and we barely saw much of C3P0 and R2-D2 who were fairly and pretty fully active in IV-VI.

Just so few likeable characters, a plot that was ok in basic idea but poorly executed, jumped all over the place, had way too much interaction by "bridge" between Ridley (naff) and Driver (godawful), and don't even get me started on Leia in space.....

That may possibly be the worst film I've seen at the cinema, and ranks down with Terminator Genisys, Mad Max rebooted Road or whatever it was called, Racoon et al still without the chocolate bar (GOTG2) and a host of other dreadful films. Standards do seem to be dropping, especially on reboots and long gap continuations, but there are decent films out there so it is possible not to make bad films....

It was so mickey mouse it might as well have been sponsored by Trotters Independent Traders. I dread the next instalment if that is the benchmark, at least VII was passable if just rehashing IV, although elements of VIII seemed to be a bit of V (training and the whole island thing, being chased albeit a fleet not just the MF, and the fight at the base to an extent) and VI with the scenes involving Snoke, Ren and Rey who I wouldn't be at all surprised if they don't turn out to be siblings.

How any critics or indeed anyone can call that "best ever" I do not know, even if you like it there's so much more in IV, VI and even V although I appreciate some like ESB and think it is the best.
    And I thought I didn’t like it I agree with you in parts. My main reasons for not liking it are:

Lack of likability in all characters, if anyone of them died I’d be like, okay then what’s next?
    That scene with Leia in space is quite possibly the maddest thing I’ve ever seen, it was ridiculous.
    Snoke. If he isn’t back in the next one, just **** the **** off. How can you build a character up with so much intrigue and kill him like that? Joke if that’s the end of him.
    I really hope Kylo isn’t the main baddie, he’s far to moody and conflicted.

This was not a Star Wars film, there was about 5 seconds of lightsabers.

What was the ****** point of captain phasma?!

My son was having a poor day at work, so went to see it.

He reported that he nearly walked out; it was that bad.

Awful plot, awful dialogue, awful everything.

Abysmal, he said.

Snoke. If he isnít back in the next one, just **** the **** off. How can you build a character up with so much intrigue and kill him like that? Joke if thatís the end of him.
    It was just a variant on the emperor, diversified a little so the leads include a black man, a woman, a dork and an alien. I gather quite a lot don't like the prequels but at least with general wotsisname they had a decent bad guy with his multiple arms, using lightsabres and something organic about him although I'm not sure I know exactly what that was all about

I really hope Kylo isnít the main baddie, heís far to moody and conflicted.
    The concept of Han and Leia's having a child who went bad is ok, they picked some reallys hit actors to play some roles and he's no exception. But they're stuck with it, although Leia being dead in the real world won't help much, nor did him killing his daddy so quickly leave them with many routes forward. Might have added something if he wasn't the end of a bell and maybe killed Leia not Han. Why the latter? Not just hindsight given CF is dead, but gives Luke hatred although might be a bit too similar to Luke hating Vader when he thought he killed his father.

This was not a Star Wars film, there was about 5 seconds of lightsabers.
    To be fair there were so few Jedi about and for me waiving swords about is a bit old hat. The lack of a decent shoot out was what was lacking for me, or a compelling and exciting space battle. The assault on the dreadnought scored nil pwa for me, too easy for poxy and the bomber run was naff, besides all the star destroyers not doing a lot.

And the 'siege' on the fleet all seemed a bit naff too, as was the zapping of all the transports with supposedly about 400 rebels come resistance fighters alive yet split them over the transports and there'd not be a lot left. Oh and how handy was it they had a super cannon around.....

I could even rip apart what passed for dialogue, weak as water. I did like the Star Wars reboot by the same director, but it had a lot of flaws and the plot was a bit thin, but there was sufficient in it to make it decent. What baffles me is how, in spite of rehashing previous stories, is how he managed to make a decent Force Awakens. This was very poor by comparison, not that Force Awakens was much better than decent and down there in the ranks of the weaker episodes ie I-III.

Oh and I must have neglected to mention the treachery scene was poorly done, didn't help that a lot of the acting and realism in it scored a C minus if not a D. (realism I appreciate is not going to be totally, but ship hyperspaces into a fleet all but destroying it, yet leaves the heroes alive and plenty of the ship where they were intact

Okay I'll preface this by saying that I may need to watch the movie again because that seemed to help other people in digesting the movie. My first impressions: I hated it, from top to bottom, I hated it. In fact, I'd probably rank it alongside the phantom menace. One of, if not the, worst star wars movies I've ever watched. It was Harry Potter meets Battlestar galactica meets some slight sort of star wars. I really feel as if these new movies have tried harder to kill off all of the characters from the originals rather than build up the new characters. A couple of points that particularly had me going:

- The movie was needlessly long and had pacing issues.
    - The Finn and Rose storyline was not super enticing, granted I thought that Benicio Del Toro's character, DJ, was one of the high points of the movie. His character really reminded me of rebels and the clone wars series.
    - They build up Snoke as being more powerful than Vader and Palpatine, they show him rag dolling Hucks, Kylo Ren and Rey, only to then kill him off in the most predictable way. They've really really botched dramatic deaths in this new trilogy, everyone saw Han's death coming and the same with Snoke. Back to Snoke, they build him up as being super powerful but then they kill him off without us knowing anything about his origin and the source of his power and all of the things that were hotly speculated prior to the movie. Also, showing his tongue out of his mouth after he was killed off further negates what needed to be a dramatic moment.
    - The humour was absolutely and utterly terrible. It was just so out of place. I went "uh-oh" right after Luke threw away the lightsaber right at the beginning. Also, after they shot at him repeatedly and he emerges brushing his shoulder off, it's like an old 70's comedy and it was so misplaced. I'd rather not discuss the 'prank phone call' Poe did to Hucks.
    - My biggest moment of bitterness with this movie however, was their treatment of Luke. I didn't mind him being worn out, cranky and pessimistic. On the contrary, I think that was the right way to go. However, the fact we didn't see him light his green lightsaber once (outside of the flashback scene) was so so frustrating. Why was he using the blue lightsaber, it makes no sense. Also, surely, Kylo saw the blue lightsaber get destroyed and so seeing Luke wielding it must have set off some suspicion.
    - Leia flying through space like superman.
    - Rey gets no training off Luke at any point in the movie but is just automatically excellent with a lightsaber and can move a mountain of rocks with the force. Alright then..

I just feel like there are so many things these new movies have done to tarnish old characters, so many missed opportunities. We didn't once see Han and Luke in the same scene for instance. We didn't see Luke ignite his lightsaber. There are just so many missed opportunities, it's so frustrating. That's what concerns me the most about the Han Solo movies, are they going to go ahead of tarnish that character as well? Why the **** can't you just make a trilogy based in a different timeline with characters we do not know yet. Stop touching the original trilogy.

Instead of ending on full hate, I'll mention some things I liked:
    - DJ was awesome, I hope to see more of him in the future.
    - Mark Hamill's performance was truly excellent.
    - I like Poe's character in general.
    - Snoke was looking so so menacing. I was really into his character before they killed him off.

I'd like to end by saying something that is really close to my heart...**** the porgs, they absolutely suck.
    Last edited by SliceOfLife; 15-12-17 at 10:33.

Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    Okay I'll preface this by saying that I may need to watch the movie again because that seemed to help other people in digesting the movie. My first impressions: I hated it, from top to bottom, I hated it. In fact, I'd probably rank it alongside the phantom menace. One of, if not the, worst star wars movies I've ever watched. It was Harry Potter meets Battlestar galactica meets some slight sort of star wars. I really feel as if these new movies have tried harder to kill off all of the characters from the originals rather than build up the new characters. A couple of points that particularly had me going:

- The movie was needlessly long and had pacing issues.
    - The Finn and Rose storyline was not super enticing, granted I thought that Benicio Del Toro's character, DJ, was one of the high points of the movie. His character really reminded me of rebels and the clone wars series.
    - They build up Snoke as being more powerful than Vader and Palpatine, they show him rag dolling Hucks, Kylo Ren and Rey, only to then kill him off in the most predictable way. They've really really botched dramatic deaths in this new trilogy, everyone saw Han's death coming and the same with Snoke. Back to Snoke, they build him up as being super powerful but then they kill him off without us knowing anything about his origin and the source of his power and all of the things that were hotly speculated prior to the movie. Also, showing his tongue out of his mouth after he was killed off further negates what needed to be a dramatic moment.
    - The humour was absolutely and utterly terrible. It was just so out of place. I went "uh-oh" right after Luke threw away the lightsaber right at the beginning. Also, after they shot at him repeatedly and he emerges brushing his shoulder off, it's like an old 70's comedy and it was so misplaced. I'd rather not discuss the 'prank phone call' Poe did to Hucks.
    - My biggest moment of bitterness with this movie however, was their treatment of Luke. I didn't mind him being worn out, cranky and pessimistic. On the contrary, I think that was the right way to go. However, the fact we didn't see him light his green lightsaber once (outside of the flashback scene) was so so frustrating. Why was he using the blue lightsaber, it makes no sense. Also, surely, Kylo saw the blue lightsaber get destroyed and so seeing Luke wielding it must have set off some suspicion.
    - Leia flying through space like superman.
    - Rey gets no training off Luke at any point in the movie but is just automatically excellent with a lightsaber and can move a mountain of rocks with the force. Alright then..

I just feel like there are so many things these new movies have done to tarnish old characters, so many missed opportunities. We didn't once see Han and Luke in the same scene for instance. We didn't see Luke ignite his lightsaber. There are just so many missed opportunities, it's so frustrating. That's what concerns me the most about the Han Solo movies, are they going to go ahead of tarnish that character as well? Why the **** can't you just make a trilogy based in a different timeline with characters we do not know yet. Stop touching the original trilogy.

Instead of ending on full hate, I'll mention some things I liked:
    - DJ was awesome, I hope to see more of him in the future.
    - Mark Hamill's performance was truly excellent.
    - I like Poe's character in general.
    - Snoke was looking so so menacing. I was really into his character before they killed him off.

I'd like to end by saying something that is really close to my heart...**** the porgs, they absolutely suck.
    Some great points in here that I fully agree with, especially the porgs, they were included just to sell on as toys. I have one thing to say though, I don’t think Snoke is dead. Big theory already online on how it states in the force awakens book that it is extremely rare for anyone to come into contact with snoke and he is very snoke(haha) and mirrors. I personally think we will see him at the very start of the next film. The fact that he says to Ren and Rey he was the one letting them see each other with the force, then after his “death” it happens again. Luke force projected himself to be on that planet, along with the dice so it isn’t hard to believe snoke can do the same and have people believe they have killed him. As you say surely you can’t portray a character to be so powerful and all knowning, employ Andy Serkis(who was fantastic) and kill him off after like 5 minutes of dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    The concept of Han and Leia's having a child who went bad is ok, they picked some reallys hit actors to play some roles and he's no exception. But they're stuck with it, although Leia being dead in the real world won't help much, nor did him killing his daddy so quickly leave them with many routes forward. Might have added something if he wasn't the end of a bell and maybe killed Leia not Han. Why the latter? Not just hindsight given CF is dead, but gives Luke hatred although might be a bit too similar to Luke hating Vader when he thought he killed his father.
    t
    Harrison Ford absolutely hates Han Solo. In fact, he asked George Lucas to kill him off in ESB. So it was no surprise he went in this new instalment.

Some great points in here that I fully agree with, especially the porgs, they were included just to sell on as toys. I have one thing to say though, I don’t think Snoke is dead. Big theory already online on how it states in the force awakens book that it is extremely rare for anyone to come into contact with snoke and he is very snoke(haha) and mirrors. I personally think we will see him at the very start of the next film. The fact that he says to Ren and Rey he was the one letting them see each other with the force, then after his “death” it happens again. Luke force projected himself to be on that planet, along with the dice so it isn’t hard to believe snoke can do the same and have people believe they have killed him. As you say surely you can’t portray a character to be so powerful and all knowning, employ Andy Serkis(who was fantastic) and kill him off after like 5 minutes of dialogue.
    Andy Serkis was brilliant. I doubt that Snoke is still alive, if he is, then that makes the tongue hanging out of mouth shot even more mind boggling.

Andy Serkis was brilliant. I doubt that Snoke is still alive, if he is, then that makes the tongue hanging out of mouth shot even more mind boggling.
    I honestly do not see what they’re going to do next film if Kylo is the main bad guy on his own.

All this chat, and my son's report means I don't need to waste money going to see it.

I'll just wait till it turns up on the telly.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    All this chat, and my son's report means I don't need to waste money going to see it.

I'll just wait till it turns up on the telly.
    Well to be fair, each person is going to enjoy the movie differently. Personally, I'm a massive star wars fan, I read the books and all that so even the small discrepancies annoy me. However, there's a good chance you might enjoy it. I know that a lot of the mainstream media and fans enjoyed it enormously so...

I honestly do not see what they’re going to do next film if Kylo is the main bad guy on his own.
    I think they're building up to a Rey vs Ren finale. I really don't like the direction in which they took this new trilogy. Also, whatever happened to the knights of Ren? They were advertised for both movies, built up and then don't feature at all. Same thing but to a lesser extent with Phasma, she was advertised excessively only to then get tooled in the first movie and killed easily in the second.

I think they're building up to a Rey vs Ren finale. I really don't like the direction in which they took this new trilogy. Also, whatever happened to the knights of Ren? They were advertised for both movies, built up and then don't feature at all. Same thing but to a lesser extent with Phasma, she was advertised excessively only to then get tooled in the first movie and killed easily in the second.
    They’re focusing on storylines with the most characters and planets in to sell merchandise in my opinion. As soon as they spoke to Maz/moz whatever her name is and she was like “you have to go here and get this character” I thought oh **** off. How imaginative. That whole part of the story with Finn was absolutely pointless.

Rey V Ren will be boring and we have already seen it. Neither have had anymore training. They’re going to give a time gap of 5 years or so in the next one but even still their fight is going to be really boring. Neither can be extremely powerful.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    I find the lack of faith in this thread disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    I find the lack of faith in this thread disturbing.
    These aren't the posters you're looking for, obviously.

I can see why Mark is on record saying he does not like the way Luke is portrayed. Luke went to he'll and back to get Anakin back from Vader. Now he wakes up and decides to kill Ben Solo, as for Snoke and Phasma built up to be bad and hardcore. Both done away with quick style. It's a mix up of the original trilogy I still think it is a watered down Empire after yet another Death Star is blown up the Empire sorry New Order is kicking resistance backside. Ray travels to a planet for Jedi training and breaks off to seek Kylo out. Now what is that familiar to ? . For me I will watch episode 9 and then that's me done with Star Wars.

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Just watched the new 116th episode of Star Wars... after watching 30 minutes of adverts and endless promos of coming films ... they put the wrong film on .... which lasted another 30 minutes, with apologies, before the Star Wars film was then projected on to the screen.
    Opinion: Of all the Star Wars films ever filmed, this one actually is the best one to watch. To cut a long story short. And you know it has been a saga.

grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    I actually enjoyed it in the cinema. Lots of fun in it.

However:

-Kylo Ren is a terrible villain. He's just a whiny brat. There is no sense of dread with him and with Snoke gone there's even less. This could also be said of Luke as the hero in episodes IV and V and he becomes a badass in episode VI so I'm holding out hope that Kylo will be better in the last film.

-The fact that Holdo never informs her crew of what would otherwise be a functioning plan is super annoying. Especially since she never offers any other kind of inspiration or leadership to her struggling desperate people. Even more annoying are the reviews that see this specific part of the plot as some sort of victory for feminism over "toxic masculinity". Ugh.

-The whole subplot with Finn and Rose was really annoying I thought.

Those things detracted from what was otherwise an enjoyable movie experience.

shody1976 is online now First team regular
    Fantastic film.

Yehez is online now Rating revolutionary
    It's good as a whole. A few amazing scenes, very well staged and shot. Rian Johnson apparently made actors/cameramen see films by Kurosawa and David Lean to influence the film's look.

But there is some weird things in there. The whole film takes place over quite literally a day or two worth of time right? Quite rare for a film like this to happen in "real time" more or less. The film starts and never stops really.

A few great ideas about fleshing the characters and what happens around them (Holdo/Dameron, the connection between Rey and Kylo, trying to put more spin on the Jedi) and a few that didn't seem interesting (Everything around Finn).

It's just, with all this going on, there doesn't seem anything deeper driving the whole story, even plot wise, which is really what I'd look for if I wanna call a film great. At the end it's a bunch of great sequences loosely strung together, with enough interesting, if small, character arks making it on a whole a good movie, but nothing more.

Still think Force Awakens is underrated.

Watched it last night, thought it was largely rubbish to be honest, needed some editing and hacking up as needlessly far too long. The whole Fin story was entirely pointless and dragged on and Rey was on that ****** island for far too long too.

It had some nice moments, but for me I think this whole story arc is dead. Its been beautiful, a big part of many childhoods but its dead. No Luke, Han, Leia...all good things must come to an end, Kylo and Rey are pale comparisons or new characters that just don't work for me at all. Kylo Ren is another annoying teenager like Anakin and does not incite any flicker of dread or concern. He's a pip squeak with a sword sabre.

I loved Rogue One and like the potential of a Star Wars universe and story arcs in their own right, but this whole saga is dead in my eyes and its a shame it wasn't all left to legend and imagination as opposed to so so films that just don't work.

I'm actually thinking of not bothering with the third one when that comes out, I'd rather leave it all to memory and the imagination from the originals as opposed to these rather tired pale imitations that never really get near those originals

I'd rate it a 5/10 tops

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Watched it last night, thought it was largely rubbish to be honest, needed some editing and hacking up as needlessly far too long. The whole Fin story was entirely pointless and dragged on and Rey was on that ****** island for far too long too.

It had some nice moments, but for me I think this whole story arc is dead. Its been beautiful, a big part of many childhoods but its dead. No Luke, Han, Leia...all good things must come to an end, Kylo and Rey are pale comparisons or new characters that just don't work for me at all. Kylo Ren is another annoying teenager like Anakin and does not incite any flicker of dread or concern. He's a pip squeak with a sword sabre.

I loved Rogue One and like the potential of a Star Wars universe and story arcs in their own right, but this whole saga is dead in my eyes and its a shame it wasn't all left to legend and imagination as opposed to so so films that just don't work.

I'm actually thinking of not bothering with the third one when that comes out, I'd rather leave it all to memory and the imagination from the originals as opposed to these rather tired pale imitations that never really get near those originals

I'd rate it a 5/10 tops
    Would you go and see it if it's to be called 'The Lord of The Porgs'… ?

Would you go and see it if it's to be called 'The Lord of The Porgs'… ?
    Even then, I'd have to think about it.

I'm forever going to be looked in Star Wars porgatory

Very interesting how this film has split opinions with many loving and hating it. I think the balance is on your opinion of the characters. People have bought into Kylo Ren but personally I think he is an awful bad guy. Thereís nothing in the balance that you want to find out in the next film. Empire left us with Vader and Luke having an epic battle, Vader revealing that he is Lukeís father, the connection between Leia and Luke and Han being frozen in carbonite. This one left us (well me) hoping that Snoke is still alive somehow and thatís it.

Even then, I'd have to think about it.

I'm forever going to be looked in Star Wars porgatory

Star Warts.

Chapter 1117. Snoke's evil twin Raoul builds a Giant Death Fart.

C3PO has gone over to the dark side, and is now the controller of an Ewok suicide squad masquerading as a new age dance troupe.

Porgs found an abandoned Viagra warehouse, and have now become the most common lifeform in twelve galaxies.

R2D2 has succumbed to extreme metal fatigue, and is in a home for retired robots, called 'Scrapheap Villas.'

Star Warts.

Chapter 1117. Snoke's evil twin Raoul builds a Giant Death Fart.

C3PO has gone over to the dark side, and is now the controller of an Ewok suicide squad masquerading as a new age dance troupe.

Porgs found an abandoned Viagra warehouse, and have now become the most common lifeform in twelve galaxies.

R2D2 has succumbed to extreme metal fatigue, and is in a home for retired robots, called 'Scrapheap Villas.'
    I'll watch this, especially the Ewok suicide squad, that would be some picture to see

Very interesting how this film has split opinions with many loving and hating it. I think the balance is on your opinion of the characters. People have bought into Kylo Ren but personally I think he is an awful bad guy. There’s nothing in the balance that you want to find out in the next film. Empire left us with Vader and Luke having an epic battle, Vader revealing that he is Luke’s father, the connection between Leia and Luke and Han being frozen in carbonite. This one left us (well me) hoping that Snoke is still alive somehow and that’s it.
    Aye, I didn't hate it personally, just was totally uninspired by it and the characters, run of the mill with lots of time fillers and I was ready for it to finish long before it did

I'll watch this, especially the Ewok suicide squad, that would be some picture to see
    It'd be a reasonable way to actually get rid of some of the annoying little *******.