Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 110

Thread: Do we need a new Captain and who?

  1. #31  
    Mersey Dudek is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    12,352
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRiedle View Post
    It'll be Van Dijk from next season.
    He's the only one that seems plausible at the moment. I think Henderson will continue with it for next season though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #32  
    Gazza74 is online now LFCTV GO Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    100,117
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRiedle View Post
    It'll be Van Dijk from next season.
    Apparently he's just realised Jordan is captain and is trying to use the receipt to reverse the deal back to Southampton, it is a deal breaker.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #33  
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,833
    Quote Originally Posted by midiman_user View Post
    It does because we can't be taken seriously with Henderson as our lead or else it will affect our players.

    Gerrard was influential in bringing the likes of Torres, Masch, Suarez and other players here.

    Or else we are going to lose people and I fear for us if Saleh goes next year.

    We have to keep this team together.
    you really are some kid aren't you?

    you seriously think Coutinho is leaving cos Hendo is Captain? that really is some dumb dumb view

    My god Jurgen, leave the club, you must be so unhappy, Hendo is captain, the world is ending, you must leave or be faced with sadness forever

    jesus, go back to school mate
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #34  
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylet View Post
    He inherited those and has kept them as they are.
    So he doesn't always select by tenure then cos Milner came at the start of 15-16.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #35  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    7,035
    Quote Originally Posted by midiman_user View Post
    It does because we can't be taken seriously with Henderson as our lead or else it will affect our players.

    Gerrard was influential in bringing the likes of Torres, Masch, Suarez and other players here.

    Or else we are going to lose people and I fear for us if Saleh goes next year.

    We have to keep this team together.
    It's not really a big deal in that regard. Antonio Valencia is United's captain, Arteta used to captain Arsenal, Gary Cahill is Chelsea's captain for **** sake. It helps to have a leader on the pitch but if you think it affects our power of attracting or holding onto players that's simply crazy
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #36  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,748
    This captain talk is nonsense. In all honesty what does it really matter?

    The fact that we have had Mignolet captain us for three games this season, should tell everybody what they need to know. It means nothing.

    The most important man at this club right now is Klopp, evidenced by the signings of Salah, VVD & Keita. Players want to play for him.

    There are no iconic captains left across European football now, bar maybe Buffon and even he is packing it in at the end of the season.

    I would struggle to name you the captains of our top-six rivals tbh.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #37  
    Red-And-Proud is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    37,616
    Quote Originally Posted by EmreSam View Post
    It's not really a big deal in that regard. Antonio Valencia is United's captain, Arteta used to captain Arsenal, Gary Cahill is Chelsea's captain for **** sake. It helps to have a leader on the pitch but if you think it affects our power of attracting or holding onto players that's simply crazy
    There was a point when Gerrard was captain and it seemed like nobody good wanted to come here.
    Money, Champions League football, quality of team, recent reputation and location (of the club) are all more important to any player out there
    Klopps beard twin
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #38  
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,813
    Quote Originally Posted by 77red96 View Post
    I think Hendo is the perfect captain. The time he dedicates to the club and his off the field effort are unrivalled. I think he does more off the pitch than any who came before him. Just because the tv cameras don't show Jordan as being as involved in giving direction to his team mates as Stevie did it doesn't mean he isn't doing it. Next time you are at a game just take 5 minutes to watch Jordan, he is constantly talking and explaining what he wants people to do..... you don't always have to shout to get the job done.
    Are you for real?! What blasphemy!!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #39  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,844
    Just need some leadership-in goal, at the back and in MF.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #40  
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    6,419
    Quote Originally Posted by 77red96 View Post
    I think Hendo is the perfect captain. The time he dedicates to the club and his off the field effort are unrivalled. I think he does more off the pitch than any who came before him. Just because the tv cameras don't show Jordan as being as involved in giving direction to his team mates as Stevie did it doesn't mean he isn't doing it. Next time you are at a game just take 5 minutes to watch Jordan, he is constantly talking and explaining what he wants people to do..... you don't always have to shout to get the job done.
    Good post.

    Klopp said himself that if players were told the OFF FIELD responsibilities of being captain were they probably wouldn't want to do it. He then said Hendo was doing a great job.

    Milner is another one of those doing things quietly out of the media (other than his wonderful Twitter presence of course ) spotlight. Not sure other than Lovren and Virgil who might want the job and I don't know how they would feel about the off camera work either. But whoever gets the job they need to be able to communicate in good English which the likes of Moreno, Bobby and that other Brazilian can't.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #41  
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by SurreyLiverpoolFan1983 View Post
    you really are some kid aren't you?

    you seriously think Coutinho is leaving cos Hendo is Captain? that really is some dumb dumb view

    My god Jurgen, leave the club, you must be so unhappy, Hendo is captain, the world is ending, you must leave or be faced with sadness forever

    jesus, go back to school mate
    You are a dunce.

    To answer your question no.

    But has it probably contributed? Yes!!!

    And I would do the same if you someone put you in charge of me at work.

    Simple.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #42  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,244
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    van Dijk.
    Only a matter of time
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #43  
    Gazza74 is online now LFCTV GO Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    100,117
    Quote Originally Posted by midiman_user View Post
    You are a dunce.

    To answer your question no.

    But has it probably contributed? Yes!!!

    And I would do the same if you someone put you in charge of me at work.

    Simple.
    If Gerrard at his best was captain now Coutinho would still want out to Barca.

    Alonso, Torres and Suarez all left with him as captain, it's got **** all to do with anything, nevermind contributing.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #44  
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    617
    Klopp thinks Hendo is the right captain for this club - that works for me.

    And I agree that Hendo embodies what a captain of a big club like Liverpool needs to do both on and off the pitch.


    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #45  
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    15,249
    Do people think we will suddenly become better if we have a "strong" captain? For sure that effects some players, younger ones, but typically it has little effect for most players. I often wonder if people actually ever played sports?

    There are many leaders in the locker room and for different things. Some players respond better to some leaders versus others etc....
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #46  
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,100
    Quote Originally Posted by 77red96 View Post
    I think Hendo is the perfect captain. The time he dedicates to the club and his off the field effort are unrivalled. I think he does more off the pitch than any who came before him. Just because the tv cameras don't show Jordan as being as involved in giving direction to his team mates as Stevie did it doesn't mean he isn't doing it. Next time you are at a game just take 5 minutes to watch Jordan, he is constantly talking and explaining what he wants people to do..... you don't always have to shout to get the job done.
    i've said and seen the same as when he came to australia he was fantastic with the fans and press. problem is though...... he is a **** footballer. it just looks bad
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #47  
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Mersey Dudek View Post
    He's the only one that seems plausible at the moment. I think Henderson will continue with it for next season though.
    Not so sure about Hendo. If we recruit correctly in the summer he wont be a starter in first 11 so I’m presuming that will influence things. Maybe he will hold onto the armband regardless until VVD is better established. Anyone bar Migs please.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #48  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,748
    Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    Not so sure about Hendo. If we recruit correctly in the summer he wont be a starter in first 11 so I’m presuming that will influence things. Maybe he will hold onto the armband regardless until VVD is better established. Anyone bar Migs please.
    People were saying this this time last year...
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #49  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,339
    No guarantee that Klopp is going to make any changes and on that basis I don't care if Henderson got carried into the stadium on a ceremonial chair wearing a cape and a paper crown with 'Best Captain' stencilled across the front as long as it doesn't make him an automatic pick in the first team.

    Everyone knows that the midfield will realistically be upgraded beyond Henderson's limits by next August so his future as captain has to be questioned but it'd be a very surprising turnabout if Klopp went for a radical change by making VVD captain so soon given how he's used the pecking order of longer serving players to award the armband up to now.

    If he makes a change then Lallana seems to tick all the boxes that Klopp seems to like in a captain.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #50  
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,813
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarnes79 View Post
    People were saying this this time last year...
    You shouldn’t be happy about those people being wrong... If you want this club to win trophies you should know a poor player like Hendo should be nowhere near being a automatic starter
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #51  
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    8,423
    For me if Lallana can stay fit and play like he was before injury... itís got to be him. VVD hasnít kicked a ball in anger for us yet so heís out of the question
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #52  
    slimman is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    43,498
    What's wrong with the captain we have now? Is this another thread to beat Henderson with a stick over his captaincy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe-El View Post
    For me if Lallana can stay fit and play like he was before injury... it’s got to be him. VVD hasn’t kicked a ball in anger for us yet so he’s out of the question
    And who is the closest playing person in the squad to Lallana.....it's the current captain Henderson so he would consult with him in all manner of issues especially off the field stuff.

    I don't understand this obsession with who the captain is when we are playing, i more look at why the captain is appointed regarding off field stuff. The very notion that some are saying Coutinho and/or Firmino is mad to me because English is not their first language and they struggle with it. I can just imagine going on tour and the duties a Liverpool captain has to do....going on panels, opening events, shaking people's hand and making speeches on behalf of the playing squad and Club in general. No way Coutinho or Firmino could do that, Van Dijk i can see in the future but i don't see the need or reason to change it from Henderson.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #53  
    *Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,544
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    van Dijk.
    Agree with this, hopefully by the end of the season he can have earned it.

    In the meantime, no point changing captains during a season. I'd pick Coutinho but he is quite clearly on his way.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #54  
    slimman is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    43,498
    Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    You shouldn’t be happy about those people being wrong... If you want this club to win trophies you should know a poor player like Hendo should be nowhere near being a automatic starter
    You should tell that to Jurgen Klopp, the manager who picks him more often than not & seems to like what he does for the team.

    Better yet, maybe you should get your coaching badges, rise through the managerial ranks and become and elite one, step over Gerrard (could be Liverpool manager in waiting) for starters, take over from Klopp and then sell Henderson. Either that or you can simply play up to your moniker and stay angry at everything to do with this club.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #55  
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,813
    Quote Originally Posted by slimman View Post
    You should tell that to Jurgen Klopp, the manager who picks him more often than not & seems to like what he does for the team.

    Better yet, maybe you should get your coaching badges, rise through the managerial ranks and become and elite one, step over Gerrard (could be Liverpool manager in waiting) for starters, take over from Klopp and then sell Henderson. Either that or you can simply play up to your moniker and stay angry at everything to do with this club.
    I love how so many of you are ok with mediocrity as long as Jurgen is... Klopp isn’t as elite as some of you think... You think Pep, Mou or Conte would have him in the team?! **** no! I’m not ok with mediocrity and that’s a huge reason why I’m not ok with Hendo... Take off the rose tint goggles

    Also I don’t give a **** about off the field stuff... That doesn’t win you trophies...
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #56  
    aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    53,008
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKnucklesOfAgger View Post
    Do you think? I mean we took it off Sami once upon a time, surely there should be no issue with him accepting a better player/option as captain? Especially if he is as much of a team player as people suggest.
    I think Sami/Stevie is massively different to Jordan/Virgil or a.n.other, that was like for like passing the baton over if you like as opposed to we want someone else because we don't think you're very good.

    And I don;t disagree with the point, it just wont happen while the manager holds the view he does
    dont look back in anger.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #57  
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,833
    Quote Originally Posted by midiman_user View Post
    You are a dunce.

    To answer your question no.

    But has it probably contributed? Yes!!!

    And I would do the same if you someone put you in charge of me at work.

    Simple.
    simple fact is your point is 110% nonsense

    It is quite simply a fact that Hendo is a well liked respected member of the squad - thought of by owners to coaches to players

    that is a FACT

    but don't let that simple fact cloud your hatred of Hendo, and spitting of pure lies to suit your agenda

    Coutinho is simply not leaving because of Hendo, not even 1%, if you think otherwise, i really do feel sorry for you

    Coutinho is leaving/wants to leave as he has achieved all he wants at the club and wants to go elsewhere - simple as that
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #58  
    Gazza74 is online now LFCTV GO Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    100,117
    Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    Klopp isn’t as elite as some of you think... You think Pep, Mou or Conte would have him in the team?! ..
    Nice stupid dig at Jurgen there.

    And are you really saying Pep, Jose and Conte would never have perceived mediocre players in their teams?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #59  
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,833
    Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    I love how so many of you are ok with mediocrity as long as Jurgen is... Klopp isn’t as elite as some of you think... You think Pep, Mou or Conte would have him in the team?! **** no! I’m not ok with mediocrity and that’s a huge reason why I’m not ok with Hendo... Take off the rose tint goggles

    Also I don’t give a **** about off the field stuff... That doesn’t win you trophies...
    that's where you show severe lack of knowledge of Liverpool Football Club

    go say that very same statement to King Kenny and watch him smack you in the mouth and the very insult it means nothing

    You hate Hendo, we get it, but DO NOT EVER say off the field stuff at Liverpool isn't valuable as you simply are dsgraceing the Liverpool ethos and frankly, do not want you supporting liverpool

    Liverpool football club more than any other club, know just how important off the field is to its core ethic

    the fact you even said anything different shows your lack of knowledge of what being Liverpool really is about

    Hillsborough funerals had zilch to do with football, DO NOT EVER FLIPPING say it means nothing - its okay player x is f'ing amazing, he didn't go to funerals, its alright through, as we may win a trophy, make him captain

    get to ****
    Last edited by SurreyLiverpoolFan1983; 3-1-18 at 17:30.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #60  
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    8,423
    Quote Originally Posted by slimman View Post
    What's wrong with the captain we have now? Is this another thread to beat Henderson with a stick over his captaincy?



    And who is the closest playing person in the squad to Lallana.....it's the current captain Henderson so he would consult with him in all manner of issues especially off the field stuff.

    I don't understand this obsession with who the captain is when we are playing, i more look at why the captain is appointed regarding off field stuff. The very notion that some are saying Coutinho and/or Firmino is mad to me because English is not their first language and they struggle with it. I can just imagine going on tour and the duties a Liverpool captain has to do....going on panels, opening events, shaking people's hand and making speeches on behalf of the playing squad and Club in general. No way Coutinho or Firmino could do that, Van Dijk i can see in the future but i don't see the need or reason to change it from Henderson.
    Not entirely sure why you chose my response to write war and peace. If you have an issue with the question, state that against the original post for crying out loud.

    Irrespective, Iím guessing that the primary reason for the post was that some here do not believe Henderson should not be a constant fixture in the 1st eleven or captain (correct me if Iím wrong)... as such are exploring the options.

    Going forward Iíd like to think weíll have Goretzka (if we nab him) and Keita in the middle of the park as CM/DM with a Lallana, AOC or Lemar (if we sign him) as AM.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •