Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we need a new Captain and who?

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza74 View Post
    Nice stupid dig at Jurgen there.

And are you really saying Pep, Jose and Conte would never have perceived mediocre players in their teams?
    They have had and A) those players are gotten rid of or B) they are parked on the bench or in the stands... Jurgen isn’t some infallible Messiah so yes I will take a dig here and there when warranted
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Gazza74 is online now LFCTV GO Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    They have had and A) those players are gotten rid of or B) they are parked on the bench or in the stands... Jurgen isn’t some infallible Messiah so yes I will take a dig here and there when warranted
    You obviously haven't seen some of the players those managers have picked and still pick in their teams that have been called mediocre along the way.

I didn't say he was that, but to say he isn't an elite manager is ridiculous.

You obviously haven't seen some of the players those managers have picked and still pick in their teams that have been called mediocre along the way.

I didn't say he was that, but to say he isn't an elite manager is ridiculous.
    I said he isn’t AS elite... Don’t get it twisted I am a big fan of Jurgen and am nowhere near thinking we need another manager as some around here have suggested... I just think when it has come to Hendo and few others he gets it wrong...

Seems like the captaincy is somewhat of a minor detail for JK, while for us fans most of us deem it to be an important selection.

Right now, I think the majority of us don't even see Hendo as an automatic starter, never mind someone who should be club captain.

I have no ax to grind with Hendo, he's an honest pro, but I don't believe he's good enough to start for us and for that reason he should not be our captain.

However, our problem is that we really don't have any natural leaders that deserve to be given the armband.

Coutinho, if he was staying with us, would be my first choice, but he's going to be gone soon so he's out of the running.

The captaincy should go to a player that's going to start every week, a leader that's also admired for his playing ability.

Not too many players in our current squad fit that criteria, possibly Firmino or Lallana as Klopp loves them both and they'll play regularly.

But I can't see him stripping Hendo of it, not unless we sell him and I don't think any of us see that happening.

Perhaps VVD will get the vice captain status (if Milner leaves which is probably more likely) and then VVD will be our captain most games when Hendo doesn't play.

Gazza74 is online now LFCTV GO Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    I said he isn’t AS elite... Don’t get it twisted I am a big fan of Jurgen and am nowhere near thinking we need another manager as some around here have suggested... I just think when it has come to Hendo and few others he gets it wrong...
    How would you feel if he'd bought Drinkwater?

Do you think Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Ashey Young amongst others would do well here?

Quote Originally Posted by SurreyLiverpoolFan1983 View Post
    that's where you show severe lack of knowledge of Liverpool Football Club

go say that very same statement to King Kenny and watch him smack you in the mouth and the very insult it means nothing

You hate Hendo, we get it, but DO NOT EVER say off the field stuff at Liverpool isn't valuable as you simply are dsgraceing the Liverpool ethos and frankly, do not want you supporting liverpool

Liverpool football club more than any other club, know just how important off the field is to its core ethic

the fact you even said anything different shows your lack of knowledge of what being Liverpool really is about

Hillsborough funerals had zilch to do with football, DO NOT EVER FLIPPING say it means nothing - its okay player x is f'ing amazing, he didn't go to funerals, its alright through, as we may win a trophy, make him captain

get to ****
    I know you're trying to make a point that there are more responsibilities a captain has off the pitch but it feels kind of cheap to bring Hillsborough when Henderson does not have a single heavy burden that compares to that

He pats players in the back after a game
    Welcomes new players into the team
    Does interviews to inspire the team

Nothing out of the ordinary

How would you feel if he'd bought Drinkwater?

Do you think Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Ashey Young amongst others would do well here?
    I would have been livid had he bought Drinkwater... Mou has defined a role for Young and he has done well in it to be fair... Smalling and Jones on the other hand you might have a bit of a point there, but they are not his first choice when he looks at making the team sheet when he has the full squad at his disposal minus injury... Partly why he is moaning about needing more money... Fair play to you though cause i do see what your saying

Quote Originally Posted by longstebe View Post
    Probably throwing darts at them.
    or maybe something really creepy and sordid like.............................(fill in your own blank)

Quote Originally Posted by -SP7- View Post
    Coutinho was offered it. He has shown great loyalty and leadership. He is my number one pick.
    What are you drinking? He's a treacherous little snake and will be gone latest in summer.

IF Klopp should decide to give the captaincy to someone else than Hendo it should either be Firmino or Lallana.

go say that very same statement to King Kenny and watch him smack you in the mouth and the very insult it means nothing

You hate Hendo, we get it, but DO NOT EVER say off the field stuff at Liverpool isn't valuable as you simply are dsgraceing the Liverpool ethos and frankly, do not want you supporting liverpool

Liverpool football club more than any other club, know just how important off the field is to its core ethic

the fact you even said anything different shows your lack of knowledge of what being Liverpool really is about

Hillsborough funerals had zilch to do with football, DO NOT EVER FLIPPING say it means nothing - its okay player x is f'ing amazing, he didn't go to funerals, its alright through, as we may win a trophy, make him captain

get to ****
    1. Lets pray that Henderson never has to deal with anything like that.
    2. Let us give our respect to Kenny.
    3. We are talking about what our present Captain does in regards to the team and if we should look to replace him with someone better suited to the role.
    4. What another stupid reply.

BlowUpMyBoots is online now Academy prospect
    I would have been livid had he bought Drinkwater... Mou has defined a role for Young and he has done well in it to be fair... Smalling and Jones on the other hand you might have a bit of a point there, but they are not his first choice when he looks at making the team sheet when he has the full squad at his disposal minus injury... Partly why he is moaning about needing more money... Fair play to you though cause i do see what your saying
    He reckons Jones is the best CB in the league so he is most certainly first choice is Jose's eyes.

Also I think you will find a lot of the players Pep sold were older players and pretty much every manager would have done that in their second season there, hes only really binned the GK's.
    Last edited by BlowUpMyBoots; 4-1-18 at 23:14.

get to ****
    You done? Get a ****** grip! Where did I say I HATE Hendo? When did I mention Hillsborough? All the outside stuff is well and good, but we are here to talk about what happens ON the pitch... Trophies are won ON the pitch and not off it and that’s what I’m talking about...
    Last edited by AngriestRed; 5-1-18 at 05:44.

Quote Originally Posted by KoppityKloppity View Post
    He reckons Jones is the best CB in the league so he is most certainly first choice is Jose's eyes.

Also I think you will find a lot of the players Pep sold were older players and pretty much every manager would have done that in their second season there, hes only really binned the GK's.
    I can’t help but think that Jose is A. Having a laugh or B. Trying to bump the price when it comes time to get rid...

Hey let's make Coutinho our captain

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanPressing View Post
    Grab your hat and coat on the way out thank you

VVD will eventually be given the armband.

He’s going to be our next Hansen - you heard it here first.

Unless someone else has mentioned it

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Van Dijk. As soon as the end of the season would do me.

I think Van Dijk will be our next captain. He just looks like a natural leader.

If I were to predict, I'd suggest that he will take the armband in the summer of 2019.

I can't wait until we win the FA Cup this year and everyone says we won it out of spite of Hendo as captain

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    Van Dijk. As soon as the end of the season would do me.
    Yup.

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by PHIL. View Post
    Yup.
    Barring the goal, the other thing I loved about his performance against Everton was his unwillingness to accept poor performances from his teammates. I love how he roared at Karius to get him to come for the ball. Absolutely no sense that he's the new lad trying to fit in, they all have to meet his standards. Proper leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanPressing View Post
    Tbh his impact on us whilst at Barcelona would be more than Hendersons when fit

Barring the goal, the other thing I loved about his performance against Everton was his unwillingness to accept poor performances from his teammates. I love how he roared at Karius to get him to come for the ball. Absolutely no sense that he's the new lad trying to fit in, they all have to meet his standards. Proper leadership.
    Yeah, you could see it as soon as the game started. He was barking commands to players, showing them where they should be positioned etc. Loved to see it.

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    It was noticeable wasn't it, he was organising and pointing he could see danger and holes that needed filling and wasn't afraid to rocket Karius twice my god how we have needed a player like that on the pitch.

I think he will be captain at some point, however Klopps comments on Hendo are loud and clear although I do wonder if Henderson will get left behind at some point as the midfield issues get addressed; the Captain should always be first name on the teamsheet, you never really saw Hyypia or Gerrard regularly dropped, or rested as it's called now.
    dont look back in anger.

I can't wait until we win the FA Cup this year and everyone says we won it out of spite of Hendo as captain
    Well, we would've won it in spite of him, because (i) his recent injuries mysteriously take 3 or 4 times the normal recovery time, so that may happen again, and (ii) he does'nt actually add value to the team when he's actually playing, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    I think Van Dijk will be our next captain. He just looks like a natural leader.

If I were to predict, I'd suggest that he will take the armband in the summer of 2019.
    And what would happen to Hendo in that case?

Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    And what would happen to Hendo in that case?
    Long answer - He'd either be a good professional like Thompson & Hyypia and get on with it, or throw a fit about losing his Eng place and ask for a transfer. Unlike Thompson & Hyypia tho, he'd mainly be a bench player.

Short answer - don't know, don't care.

I am keeping an open mind about this. Henderson has been the worst captain since...., well, I canít really remember but probably before my time, so he is already on borrowed time.

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    It was noticeable wasn't it, he was organising and pointing he could see danger and holes that needed filling and wasn't afraid to rocket Karius twice my god how we have needed a player like that on the pitch.

I think he will be captain at some point, however Klopps comments on Hendo are loud and clear although I do wonder if Henderson will get left behind at some point as the midfield issues get addressed; the Captain should always be first name on the teamsheet, you never really saw Hyypia or Gerrard regularly dropped, or rested as it's called now.
    It looks like Klopp has gone straight in and told the team directly that VVD will lead and give the orders on the pitch and it's had an immediate effect. He just looks like a boss on the pitch and that's a welcome sight after what we've had.

Didn't think it'd happen immediately but no question now that VVD will be named captain as soon as this season ends. Hendo is history and it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by spikop View Post
    Long answer - He'd either be a good professional like Thompson & Hyypia and get on with it, or throw a fit about losing his Eng place and ask for a transfer. Unlike Thompson & Hyypia tho, he'd mainly be a bench player.

Short answer - don't know, don't care.
    For me he epitomise everything about the last 7 years at the club, perhaps we should keep him there as a reminder of how mediocre this period has been.