Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: A potential fix for the forums?

1. #1 Default A potential fix for the forums? 
    We all know how bad the servers can get on match days, how about the football forum is merged just like the off topic was merged?

Who decided to merge off topic? Can we see if it is possible for the football discussion forum too?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Jannno is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Citrulline View Post
    We all know how bad the servers can get on match days, how about the football forum is merged just like the off topic was merged?

Who decided to merge off topic? Can we see if it is possible for the football discussion forum too?
    Hi. The two forums have different opening times and users have to pay to use one of them, which is available 24/7 and also gives access to online videos. Off topic is a bit peripheral to our main function but it would be different to merge the two FFs. I know access was difficult after the last match. Hopefully it's not too often. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannno View Post
    Hi. The two forums have different opening times and users have to pay to use one of them, which is available 24/7 and also gives access to online videos. Off topic is a bit peripheral to our main function but it would be different to merge the two FFs. I know access was difficult after the last match. Hopefully it's not too often. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Yeah I understand that part, but it could be merged into one just as off topic with the same restrictions in place, as non subscribers still can't post in off topic after 8pm and can't access the videos mentioned. The main selling point of the subscription is the video access and 24hr use so nothing would change on that side of things.

Maybe just have it as an 'option' that you can discuss higher up with who ever is in charge, at least if things don't improve?

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Yeah I understand that part, but it could be merged into one just as off topic with the same restrictions in place, as non subscribers still can't post in off topic after 8pm and can't access the videos mentioned. The main selling point of the subscription is the video access and 24hr use so nothing would change on that side of things.

Maybe just have it as an 'option' that you can discuss higher up with who ever is in charge, at least if things don't improve?
    It could actually make things worse on matchday.

The traffic would stay the same, but less threads would almost certainly cause a bigger bottleneck than we have now.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    It could actually make things worse on matchday.
    Is that possible....?

The traffic would stay the same, but less threads would almost certainly cause a bigger bottleneck than we have now.
    Also frankly unless the matchday threads were relatively quiet it may make reading them absolutely impossible.

I'd lean the other way and maybe suspend posting during the match, that will not go down well with many but emotions are strained at times and a fair number of posts involve references to "WUMs" and "trolls" and a lot of it has little do with the match itself. Also if people want to follow the match they can do by means of other sites like BBC so comments on live events are largely for the benefit of the person posting them.

Not entirely sure why someone following a game would feel the need to comment during it other than verbally to someone they're watching it with.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Is that possible....?

Also frankly unless the matchday threads were relatively quiet it may make reading them absolutely impossible.

I'd lean the other way and maybe suspend posting during the match, that will not go down well with many but emotions are strained at times and a fair number of posts involve references to "WUMs" and "trolls" and a lot of it has little do with the match itself. Also if people want to follow the match they can do by means of other sites like BBC so comments on live events are largely for the benefit of the person posting them.

Not entirely sure why someone following a game would feel the need to comment during it other than verbally to someone they're watching it with.
    Im sorry but I don't agree, why would you close the forum at its most busiest time? The time where most people are using it, that is the whole point of the forum to discuss, that means prematch, in game and post match.

For a forum that is half paid for it is the absolute worse, they even have mods who were just normal forum members running the place! (no offence)

Atleast before there was I believe ThirdPaul and Matt after him, now it seems they take peoples money and do absolutely nothing to improve the forum.

Jannno is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    These are things you'll have to take up with the club via 'Contact Us' at the bottom of the page, Citrulline. They'll put you on to the right dept.

Im sorry but I don't agree, why would you close the forum at its most busiest time? The time where most people are using it, that is the whole point of the forum to discuss, that means prematch, in game and post match.
    Because it is the crazy time, people should watch and enjoy the match not bicker. I don't expect many people to agree with me, some of those that post during the match are as much commenting on others, the absence of others and god knows what.

The theory of discussion during matches is good, but really it one of the more regular low points during a week, any thread that regularly descends into arguments with so many comments which should attract infractions is not good, and the matchday thread survives closure because there is some in match commenting but most is pre and post.

It is ultimately up to the mods/people who run the forum but I wouldn't be surprised if most mods would be happy for a break from it. Unlikely to happen, but like most things on this forum it's an opinion and like some on here not one going to be popular but I don't offer opinions to be popular

BTW you suggest having one matchday thread fits all (users, pay or nay) and I couldn't disagree with that more, crazy, a thread where you can type a post and suddenly be 1, 2 maybe even 3 pages behind would be mad. And for what gain? None. Stick to your crazy theories, I'll stick to mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Jannno View Post
    These are things you'll have to take up with the club via 'Contact Us' at the bottom of the page, Citrulline. They'll put you on to the right dept.
    Be simpler just to sanction matchday threads in the off topic section but hey ho

Because it is the crazy time, people should watch and enjoy the match not bicker. I don't expect many people to agree with me, some of those that post during the match are as much commenting on others, the absence of others and god knows what.

The theory of discussion during matches is good, but really it one of the more regular low points during a week, any thread that regularly descends into arguments with so many comments which should attract infractions is not good, and the matchday thread survives closure because there is some in match commenting but most is pre and post.

It is ultimately up to the mods/people who run the forum but I wouldn't be surprised if most mods would be happy for a break from it. Unlikely to happen, but like most things on this forum it's an opinion and like some on here not one going to be popular but I don't offer opinions to be popular

BTW you suggest having one matchday thread fits all (users, pay or nay) and I couldn't disagree with that more, crazy, a thread where you can type a post and suddenly be 1, 2 maybe even 3 pages behind would be mad. And for what gain? None. Stick to your crazy theories, I'll stick to mine...
    Matchday...before, after and during the game is the busiest time for the forums...and while it's frustrating when the technology fails...it doesn't mean we want to deny people the chance to discuss and debate the game.

Feel free to complain directly to the club about the problems we have with things grinding to a halt...the more who complain, the better chance there is of something being done about it.

Be simpler just to sanction matchday threads in the off topic section but hey ho
    Why would we do that?

Why would we do that?
    taking the suggestion of merging pay and non-pay sections for football because of MATCHDAY server strain down a route that would mean the forums remain separate but with one thread both payers and skinflints can access to discuss the match.

Or have another forum for joined discussion, although the more the two types of user interact the less point there will be for people to pay - although I gather there are other 'benefits' to paying

taking the suggestion of merging pay and non-pay sections for football because of MATCHDAY server strain down a route that would mean the forums remain separate but with one thread both payers and skinflints can access to discuss the match.

Or have another forum for joined discussion, although the more the two types of user interact the less point there will be for people to pay - although I gather there are other 'benefits' to paying
    The servers are strained because of the traffic...so having separate match threads helps rather than hinders.

The servers are strained because of the traffic...so having separate match threads helps rather than hinders.
    So what I was saying was rather than having merged forums it would be simpler to have one matchday thread in the off-topic section which both sets of users can access.

I wasn't advocating it by the way, pointing out it was a simpler 'solution' although there'd be no strain at all if you closed the forum for 2 hours! Personally I couldn't give two hoots, when the match is on posting is not exactly the first thing on my mind or to do list. As is often evident after the match a lot of comments in match highlight why some should have been made at the end of the match and some not at all.

Do you enjoy matchday from a moderating point of view? (assuming one of yous keeps an eye on the squabbling)

So what I was saying was rather than having merged forums it would be simpler to have one matchday thread in the off-topic section which both sets of users can access.

I wasn't advocating it by the way, pointing out it was a simpler 'solution' although there'd be no strain at all if you closed the forum for 2 hours! Personally I couldn't give two hoots, when the match is on posting is not exactly the first thing on my mind or to do list. As is often evident after the match a lot of comments in match highlight why some should have been made at the end of the match and some not at all.

Do you enjoy matchday from a moderating point of view? (assuming one of yous keeps an eye on the squabbling)
    In the end, matches are the whole point...and not everyone can watch them live either at the ground or on tv.

Yes, there are a few who try to ruin the fun...but why give them the satisfaction.

Whilst there is a demand for the forums during the games...we'll continue to service that demand.

In the end, matches are the whole point...and not everyone can watch them live either at the ground or on tv.

Yes, there are a few who try to ruin the fun...but why give them the satisfaction.

Whilst there is a demand for the forums during the games...we'll continue to service that demand.
    Not sure they're trying to "ruin the fun", think they are as oblivious to the consequences of what they are doing as those who can't understand why they've been infracted.

As I said, doesn't really bother me either way, you may or may not know I rarely if ever post during the match so the speed of the server etc doesn't bother me.