Notices
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Fenway Sports Group, LLC (FSG) - owners of Liverpool FC and Anfield

Quote Originally Posted by FSG-VanBasten View Post
    Seems like you have a mare everyday! Nice backtracking though. I remember all the vile you posted against fsg in the other thread and how we will get nowhere with them. Nice turnaround!

Glad you see the light.
    No backtracking here, just a mistake, and I always said I would change my mind and get behind them if they started to turn things around, which is now starting to happen, they have a long way to go yet though, it has taken them seven years to make a few small steps forward.
    Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    Shame it took seven years for them to make any sort of progress, It looks like we are finally getting somewhere, hopefully they have learned from their mistakes, I would still rather we got rid of them though, we could do much better.
    Not having a pop at you here. Just pointing out a possible flaw in your logic - you want to get rid of the owners now that they have 7 years of experience under their belt, stopped making stupid mistakes (which they made when they first took over), made a major headway on the stadium issue, hired a manager who seems to be pretty good at what he does, and are FINALLY starting to bring in the right quality of player (for the most part). You want to get shot of them now at the point at which they have become good owners? It just doesn't make sense.

It reminds me of a quote from Tony Blair - he said that the irony of leaving office was that he'd learned so much over his time as PM that he was much better at everything than when he first took over - so he was leaving office when he was at his best and he knew the most (I think he meant from a 'doing stuff' POV).

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    The great divide

Those that think FSG have done great and those that think they have done nothing except line their own pockets

The price freeze is a good gesture, seeing as we keep coming up short

But this piece just confirms what I have been saying the numbers don't add up and the suits need to do more on the pitch, to match what they have done off the pitch
    5th in wages in our league
    5th in income in our league, 9th in europe, I believe
    Uefa ranking is 34th at the moment
    this piece has us 6th and 16th worldwide

But I suppose the appreciation lovers will be patting themselves on their backs....

Glad to see there are some still questioning and not just accepting
    The thing is Ron, even off the pitch they have not been doing anything different to most other owners, club income is up across the board not just here, and besides, the only thing that matters to a lot of us happens on the pitch.

On the plus side we are getting good players, playing well and we are in the top four, granted its not good enough, but it is still good and a marked improvement on how most seasons have gone under them.

I said to you before if we have two good seasons on the trot it will be the first time this has happened since they came, and it might actually be a sign that we are getting somewhere, maybe our boat finally came in, not going to hold my breath that you will agree though

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbird View Post
    Not having a pop at you here. Just pointing out a possible flaw in your logic - you want to get rid of the owners now that they have 7 years of experience under their belt, stopped making stupid mistakes (which they made when they first took over), made a major headway on the stadium issue, hired a manager who seems to be pretty good at what he does, and are FINALLY starting to bring in the right quality of player (for the most part). You want to get shot of them now at the point at which they have become good owners? It just doesn't make sense.

It reminds me of a quote from Tony Blair - he said that the irony of leaving office was that he'd learned so much over his time as PM that he was much better at everything than when he first took over - so he was leaving office when he was at his best and he knew the most (I think he meant from a 'doing stuff' POV).
    I can see where you are coming from man and I hope you are right, although to me it makes perfect sense to swap out a bunch of slow learners.

Who is to say that the grass will be greener on the other side as well eh and is that a risk we would want to take ?

When I look at it like that I can see why they have so many people behind them, stable is better than the crap we had with H+G and as we improve im sure more will fall in line, its football and whether we admit it or not, most of us fans are fickle where the glorious game is concerned, if we start to dominate all will be forgotten.

I really never meant to get into such a discussion and it seems that with every post I just suck myself in more.

I will leave this thread now and revisit this subject at the end of the season, if we have another good one it will be two good seasons on the trot and the first signs under FSG that we are finally moving forward.

The great divide

Those that think FSG have done great and those that think they have done nothing except line their own pockets

But this piece just confirms what I have been saying the numbers don't add up and the suits need to do more on the pitch, to match what they have done off the pitch

But I suppose the appreciation lovers will be patting themselves on their backs....

FSG may not be the riches or the best owners out there, but they are owners who clearly have tried to make this club as good as it can be, even though there have been some mistakes along the way.

MishMasch is online now First team regular
    Legitimate question. How many people think that we'd have paid 75m for VVD and have offered the full asking price so quickly and quietly had the PHIL deal not even been on the cards?

Quote Originally Posted by MishMasch View Post
    Legitimate question. How many people think that we'd have paid 75m for VVD and have offered the full asking price so quickly and quietly had the PHIL deal not even been on the cards?
    We don't need the Coutinho money to make the purchase of VVD when we have brought in over 100m+ in league placing and tv money, I see where you are going but I think you are wrong. Klopp wanted the player before Barcelona came sniffing around and there has been no sacrifice.
    Last edited by grudge; 5-1-18 at 14:39.

The thing is Ron, even off the pitch they have not been doing anything different to most other owners, club income is up across the board not just here, and besides, the only thing that matters to a lot of us happens on the pitch.

On the plus side we are getting good players, playing well and we are in the top four, granted its not good enough, but it is still good and a marked improvement on how most seasons have gone under them.

I said to you before if we have two good seasons on the trot it will be the first time this has happened since they came, and it might actually be a sign that we are getting somewhere, maybe our boat finally came in, not going to hold my breath that you will agree though
    Mr Dilks - I hope you are well
    Yeah I know you said about the good season, bad season program, we seem to be running under FSG
    I agree - this current run is a good indicator - 17 since last defeat, it beats the good game, bad game run we used to have....

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    We don't need the Coutinho money to make the purchase of VVD when we brought in over 100m+ in league placing and tv money, I see where you are going but I think you are wrong.
    Oh i'm not hiding the fact that I don't believe we'd have bought him for that amount had it not been bolstered by a big sale. Thought so in the summer and still think it now. I'll keep thinking it until we make a deal like that and don't sell someone. It hasn't happened to date either.

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    I suppose if we get 140m for coutinho some will say fsg are making profit and keeping it for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    I suppose if we get 140m for coutinho some will say fsg are making profit and keeping it for themselves.
    I'm not in that camp. I think we'd probably shell on say Lemar and have to put some more in. But when you look at the net numbers when the dust is settled it'll still stay within the usual moderate amounts.

I'd like to add that i would LOVE to be wrong about that and we spent all the PHIL money plus the VVD stuff. I can't though because everything to date doesn't say that will happen.

Oh i'm not hiding the fact that I don't believe we'd have bought him for that amount had it not been bolstered by a big sale. Thought so in the summer and still think it now. I'll keep thinking it until we make a deal like that and don't sell someone. It hasn't happened to date either.
    We have already bought VVD and haven't sold Coutinho as yet, if we don't sell Coutinho the club wont suffer financially will it?

We have already bought VVD and haven't sold Coutinho as yet, if we don't sell Coutinho the club wont suffer financially will it?
    He's gonna be sold mate, its just a matter of when.

It's fine you don't agree. I can't myself until i see it happening in front of my eyes. Otherwise i see it more of wanting to believe something whilst ignoring whats happened to date.

He's gonna be sold mate, its just a matter of when.

It's fine you don't agree. I can't myself until i see it happening in front of my eyes. Otherwise i see it more of wanting to believe something whilst ignoring whats happened to date.
    The club is in a different place to where we were in the past financially, mainly due to the vast revenues coming from the new tv deal, we don't have to sell any of our players for financial reasons and I'm sure if Coutinho is sold all the money will be invested back into the team/club.

WinterPoolStark is offline Academy prospect
    The club is in a different place to where we were in the past financially, mainly due to the vast revenues coming from the new tv deal, we don't have to sell any of our players for financial reasons and I'm sure if Coutinho is sold all the money will be invested back into the team/club.
    I think it’s still all the same. We’re just getting more TV money but having to buy at a higher price and sell at a higher price. 10 is just 20 now (or whatever)

I'm not in that camp. I think we'd probably shell on say Lemar and have to put some more in. But when you look at the net numbers when the dust is settled it'll still stay within the usual moderate amounts.

I'd like to add that i would LOVE to be wrong about that and we spent all the PHIL money plus the VVD stuff. I can't though because everything to date doesn't say that will happen.
    Stay within what 'moderate amounts?'

The clubs revenues are now at around 300m and everything gets reinvested unlike arsenal, man u and spurs.

Arsenal have money in the banks. Spurs making profits for numerous years and not reinvesting. Man u owners taking 15m a year in dividends and have spent over 1billion alone in servicing debts and dividends since the glazers have been there. All for themselves that is.

So if you think fsg will start to fork out more from their own pockets, you will be greatly disappointed. We will continue to spend what we generate and I'm very satisfied at that.

It's pretty much wiped out buying one player though, like the previous 40m a year was?

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Mr Dilks - I hope you are well
    Yeah I know you said about the good season, bad season program, we seem to be running under FSG
    I agree - this current run is a good indicator - 17 since last defeat, it beats the good game, bad game run we used to have....
    Is this....positive?

Stay within what 'moderate amounts?'

The clubs revenues are now at around 300m and everything gets reinvested unlike arsenal, man u and spurs.

Arsenal have money in the banks. Spurs making profits for numerous years and not reinvesting. Man u owners taking 15m a year in dividends and have spent over 1billion alone in servicing debts and dividends since the glazers have been there. All for themselves that is.

So if you think fsg will start to fork out more from their own pockets, you will be greatly disappointed. We will continue to spend what we generate and I'm very satisfied at that.
    You've kinda read what you wanted to there and not what I said. There's nothing actually derogatory about FSG at all. More fans unrealistic expectations based on nothing but want

The great divide

Quite simple really.

Although our numbers are strong, 4 teams have better numbers than us in our own league!

Not hard to understand is it? Will take a while to topple them and we are already showing we are possibly getting ahead of arsenal. Good signs.

In 7 years, lots of past mistakes have been corrected from pre fsg time.

There's no 'appreciation lovers'. There's people that see owners that have been good if not better than most others in the league. Club is stable and progressing.

No backtracking here, just a mistake, and I always said I would change my mind and get behind them if they started to turn things around, which is now starting to happen, they have a long way to go yet though, it has taken them seven years to make a few small steps forward.
    Small steps forward?

They came in under huge turmoil and with 4 clubs clear ahead of us.

Major issues with the club on and off the pitch. A squad nearing the end of its time. No direction off the pitch with the facilities, stadium and global brand.

On the pitch an ageing squad that was behind the rest of the pack.

In 7 years, lots of work has gone in. Lots of methods tested. Finally found a really good one after 5 in klopp. 7 years on and we seem to be doing well indeed.

You just chose not to see that. Despite people pointing out the difficulties they had. The money spent. The visions they had. The fact they kept trying to change things when one was not working. Their desire to get more. Them investing everything the clubs generates.

How you figured they were bad owners I don't know. You still say you want them out. Despite comparatively them being as good or better than most in the league.

Shows how little you know about football and business.

Quite simple really.

Although our numbers are strong, 4 teams have better numbers than us in our own league!

Not hard to understand is it? Will take a while to topple them and we are already showing we are possibly getting ahead of arsenal. Good signs.

In 7 years, lots of past mistakes have been corrected from pre fsg time.

There's no 'appreciation lovers'. There's people that see owners that have been good if not better than most others in the league. Club is stable and progressing.
    Yep - it is quite simple - the only way to topple the ones above us is beating them to trophies... a fact overlooked..........
    We will not get a sugar daddy, so whilst yes we are stable, progressing is mute

canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    The great divide

Wrong on so many levels - I'm not surprised - I know who I believe.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    Wrong on so many levels - I'm not surprised - I know who I believe.
    Too many factions - the great divide - this is why we keep coming up short - accepting mid table mediocrity - defending the indefensible

It was meant to say I dont think there are dream owners hanging in the wings sorry, im having a mare today...

Im just not as keen on our current owners as a lot of out fans and employees seem to be is all, I did not really want to make a big thing of it but I forgot that there are a couple of posters that are quick to jump on anyone doubting FSG on here.

Its taken a while but they are finally starting to take us somewhere, I even said that I was coming around to them, all be it slowly, still its going to take more before we are all on their side, and thats fair enough I think respect has to be earned.

I will leave this thread alone now, some people just cannot accept that their opinion may be wrong or not shared by everyone, whereas I share the same opinion on opinions as Voltaire.
    No worries Dilks, easily done!

I actually think Klopp knew this is his only way of getting the club back to the top via this route , and knew it before signing a long-term deal. (quickest method)

We cant compete with our rivals so with Klopps record in the transfer market we can close the gap bringing in 2-3 top quality players while releasing one for the same price .
    With our finances we are only capable of bringing in one big player per window and in todays premier league its not quick enough to close the gap..
    The more i think about the more i think Klopp wiill happily sanction the sale to get more players in that suits his ideology, and our Owners will take the wrap for it.

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Too many factions - the great divide - this is why we keep coming up short - accepting mid table mediocrity - defending the indefensible

Yep - it is quite simple - the only way to topple the ones above us is beating them to trophies... a fact overlooked..........
    We will not get a sugar daddy, so whilst yes we are stable, progressing is mute
    Not really. Just beating a team to top four give you 40-60m extra a year. Do that for a couple of years and the divide grows. They can win a league or an fa cup but quality wise the team with 120m more revenue has a better chance to compete higher up.

Clubs progressing with a good young squad and a manager that seems to be a great fit backed by a board who have been very good indeed.

Happy times. If only it was like this 25 years ago. We wouldn't have so much ground to catch up on.

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Hahahaha!

Brilliant!