Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Predict Solanke's First Liverpool Goal

Brighton at home
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMrMustard View Post
    He'll get one soon.

He's trying hard, maybe too hard, and then it becomes even harder. Once he gets one, in off his backside or whatever, the pressure drops and his belief grows. He's shown some good skills & understanding in his cameos for a young kid at a big club, he just needs a goal.

Nothing to worry about, he's at the right club to develop.
    For me he does not get into the best positions when he is on the pitch. He is a big lad but he wanders left and right and sometimes comes deep when he should use his best asset and be in the six yard box ready for the high cross and he is not quick enough for the way Klopp wants the team to play.

I donít know what to make about this bloke to be honest but a poacher he is not.

Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post
    For me he does not get into the best positions when he is on the pitch. He is a big lad but he wanders left and right and sometimes comes deep when he should use his best asset and be in the six yard box ready for the high cross and he is not quick enough for the way Klopp wants the team to play.
    SO he is playing like Firmino, the player he quite often replaces. Is that not the point - to be able to have someone who can come in, and we don't have to change the way we play (like we have to with Sturridge)?

Solanke may come good, but Iíd like to see Ings get a chance. Works hard and a good finisher, but his time is done here if heís behind Solanke in the pecking order.

Unfortunately I don't see him making it at LFC. I know he's had limited chances but in players of the standard required you will see something that stands out. With Solanke I haven't seen anything to make me think he is a special player.

Think he'll end up in a bottom half team.

Quote Originally Posted by Machtig Maus View Post
    Unfortunately I don't see him making it at LFC. I know he's had limited chances but in players of the standard required you will see something that stands out. With Solanke I haven't seen anything to make me think he is a special player.

Jesus Christ. He's 20 years old. 20.

Having played a total of 498mins (equivalent of 4.5 games) of first team footy with us, you feel such a judgement is warranted?

People's expectations these days need to adjust. If coaches had this attitude, the likes of Carra and Harry Kane would be abandoned after a few bumps in the road early doors.

Quote Originally Posted by L8LadinDubai View Post

Having played a total of 498mins (equivalent of 4.5 games) of first team footy with us, you feel such a judgement is warranted?

People's expectations these days need to adjust. If coaches had this attitude, the likes of Carra and Harry Kane would be abandoned after a few bumps in the road early doors.

To be perfectly honest I'm not qualified to make a judgement and you are right he has only played for a few minutes. However, in most players that make it you can see what it is they have from a young age. I just haven't seen that in him.

Obviously I hope he rams my words down my throat.

To be perfectly honest I'm not qualified to make a judgement and you are right he has only played for a few minutes. However, in most players that make it you can see what it is they have from a young age. I just haven't seen that in him.

I think he has great game intelligence I. More of a Firmino mouldy than an out and our goal scorer. Letís see how he progresses with more mins.

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider

disagree. prior to being picked to play in the first team kane was on loan. many reporters just shrugged while watching him as he was nothing special. now look at him.

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider

Gabriel Jesus is also 20.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    Gabriel Jesus is also 20.
    Players develop at different rates & Jesus is just incredible considering his age. Quite unique in that aspect

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Players develop at different rates & Jesus is just incredible considering his age. Quite unique in that aspect
    Sure, I accept that, however you can still judge a player's quality when they're 20 years old. And there's nothing stopping players from already being extremely good at 20. I don't think Solanke has that in him.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    disagree. prior to being picked to play in the first team kane was on loan. many reporters just shrugged while watching him as he was nothing special. now look at him.
    Exactly. So many examples of players becoming quality at a later age.

indeed they do. and some quite well known names didn/t really burst into superstar statue till later.

i find this got to make it by 20 a bit confusing tbh as its common knowledge, or should be, that people are still developing both mentally and physically at that age.

it really is no surprise that most players after that settle down and take little steps forward till around 24'ish when it all starts to come together. ie: look at coutinho now compared to the one we bought @21. chalk and cheese. this is not to say they will all become superstars either.

Harry Kane is a good example.

At 20 years old I would have told you he was a league one player at best.

indeed. falcao and drogba come to mind. think the annoying thing is most have only ever watched him while he has been with us, so the judgement side is very little to go on since he is very much learning what klopp wants him to do. if he were played purely as the focal point as kane was we would see a different player, but we do not play that way.

Sure, I accept that, however you can still judge a player's quality when they're 20 years old. And there's nothing stopping players from already being extremely good at 20. I don't think Solanke has that in him.
    Aye, so its different rates, I don't think we've seen enough to judge him at 20 but based on what we've seen he can link up well and get into goal scoring positions but lacks that killer finish or final pass.

But its juts really a passing judgement, not a forecast, so a few tweaks or improvements in his game, then such is the fickle nature of football he could be the next big thing in no time.

We've had the same with Gomez, just a few months back, he was not very good, won't make it according to a few. That quick judgement looked silly to me then considering the context for Gomez (2 years out injured, barely any exposure to Prem League football etc but coping and developing well enough since coming back), even sillier now

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    indeed they do. and some quite well known names didn/t really burst into superstar statue till later.

i find this got to make it by 20 a bit confusing tbh as its common knowledge, or should be, that people are still developing both mentally and physically at that age.

it really is no surprise that most players after that settle down and take little steps forward till around 24'ish when it all starts to come together. ie: look at coutinho now compared to the one we bought @21. chalk and cheese. this is not to say they will all become superstars either.
    Yep it really fluctuates for different players, some are amazing at 18 to 21 then disappear without a trace, while others blossom later.

I can't make a judgement personally on Solanke at this time, not many can in reality because his ability is not fixed at this stage and neither is his ceiling

I have no idea whether he'll make it here or not, clearly has some talent, whether it blossoms enough and at the rate required to make it here, is another matter

Aye, so its different rates, I don't think we've seen enough to judge him at 20 but based on what we've seen he can link up well and get into goal scoring positions but lacks that killer finish or final pass.

But its juts really a passing judgement, not a forecast, so a few tweaks or improvements in his game, then such is the fickle nature of football he could be the next big thing in no time.

We've had the same with Gomez, just a few months back, he was not very good, won't make it according to a few. That quick judgement looked silly to me then considering the context for Gomez (2 years out injured, barely any exposure to Prem League football etc but coping and developing well enough since coming back), even sillier now
    I think Solanke looks decent but I don't think he has the potential to be a big player for us. And I think it's reasonable to say so in spite of his age.

I think Solanke looks decent but I don't think he has the potential to be a big player for us. And I think it's reasonable to say so in spite of his age.
    Do you mean a prominent player for us?

I guess it depends what we're actually looking for, we can only have so many 'big players' in a squad, if he turns out to be a handy stand in bagging goals I wouldn't care about his profile personally

If he can't do that or more, then he'd be off

Agree... The hype around this player has been unbelievable.. He has done absolutely nothing and I’m not sure why he is even a part of the first team... Next

Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    Agree... The hype around this player has been unbelievable.. He has done absolutely nothing and I’m not sure why he is even a part of the first team... Next
    go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrytibbs View Post
    He's had chances. Good chances. He just wasn't clinical. But he'd need to miss a lot more chances before I start writing him off. But he definitely needs to really take them soon if he wants to make an impact.
    Understat has him on 2.42 expected goals in the league. I'll make a wild guess and say he'll score in his next outing. He's due one.

September 2019

Do you mean a prominent player for us?

I guess it depends what we're actually looking for, we can only have so many 'big players' in a squad, if he turns out to be a handy stand in bagging goals I wouldn't care about his profile personally

If he can't do that or more, then he'd be off
    Yeah that's what I mean. I think he'll be a squad player maximum.

What are his strengths supposed to be? He seems to have a very loose first touch, isn't the quickest and doesn't look a great finisher (from what I've seen).
    We moved Origi on to accommodate him and at the moment that looks like a mistake.

On the first goal, hopefully soon.

Manchester City, 86 minute, tap in, assisted by Lallana

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    A decent shot on goal would be a good start.

Sunday.

I had high hopes for Solanke - however, he just doesn't seem ready.