Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Riyad Mahrez

1. #1 Default Riyad Mahrez 
    naturalskill is online now First team regular
    Thoughts?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I think it would be a better shout then the previous rumours of lanzini.

Would still prefer Fekir. Just because he's more used to playing centrally then Mahrez. Although both quite similar.

Holy moly just Seen the news. We are now EVENS favourites to sign him. That definitely means coutinho is gone. Would be a good signing but he is too greedy

Quote Originally Posted by RodgersTBE View Post
    Holy moly just Seen the news. We are now EVENS favourites to sign him. That definitely means coutinho is gone. Would be a good signing but he is too greedy
    Means nothing.

Just rumours from unreliable sources.

A good player but where would he fit in? I think if Coutinho goes we need to replace him with 2 players. One who can rotate with Mane and Salah when needed and one who is a definite starter in midfield as our creative midfielder. Mahrez could be an ideal player to rotate with Mane and Salah but then we still need a midfielder- which i think should be a much higher priority anyway.

Please god no.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Quote Originally Posted by Thomsy13 View Post
    A good player but where would he fit in? I think if Coutinho goes we need to replace him with 2 players. One who can rotate with Mane and Salah when needed and one who is a definite starter in midfield as our creative midfielder. Mahrez could be an ideal player to rotate with Mane and Salah but then we still need a midfielder- which i think should be a much higher priority anyway.
    Keita?

Quote Originally Posted by naturalskill View Post
    Keita?
    Then we need a no. 6. as well.

Thoughts?
    Maybe Mahrez's supposed to replace Salah when Real Madrid comes for him in the summer. That is, if they can't buy Harry Kane.
    Meh...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomsy13 View Post
    Then we need a no. 6. as well.
    yep

Would be a good stand-in for Salah. Ox stand-in for Mane. Lemar for midfield next season. I guess that'd work out. Would still need a GK and a midfielder to complement Keita and Lemar imo.

Not really a klopp type player.

If Klopp can improve his already impressive stats could be a decent buy

We all had our doubts with Mane and Salah and look how they turned out

Quote Originally Posted by RedG0ld+Green View Post
    Not really a klopp type player.
    I agree.

I think the story is bull. If he is that good, then why haven't the top clubs bought him already?

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by OleTC View Post
    Maybe Mahrez's supposed to replace Salah when Real Madrid comes for him in the summer. That is, if they can't buy Harry Kane.
    Meh...

Mahrez not in Leicester squad today

Mahrez not in Leicester squad today
    Preparing a transfer request by fax i heard

To be fair I dismissed the idea at first, but after thinking about it I reckon it would be an ideal signing.

Coutinho was never really a central midfielder for us, more someone that would be given a role to drop deep and find pockets of space between the lines and link up with the front 3. He was never someone that was disciplined in his defensive shape, or made lung busting runs to track midfielders.

I see no reason why mahrez couldnt do the same for us, as he has all the attributes coutinho has and you could even argue he's performed at a level coutinho has never reached.

Premier league experince, premier league winner, premier league player of the year and could play in the champions league. Seems a no brainer really depending on the price, but if we signed him and a proper defensive midfielder to cover his defensive contributions, then I see no reason as to why we wouldnt be better off.

He would be a fantastic replacement in all honesty, we will probably see a much better version of him at Liverpool too because we have much more quality in the team than Leicester do. Coutinho is a great player but he does have his flaws aswell, Mahrez is a more than suitable replacement, but provided Klopp can bring him up to speed fast, the talent is there, absolutely no doubt about that.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan92 View Post
    To be fair I dismissed the idea at first, but after thinking about it I reckon it would be an ideal signing.

Coutinho was never really a central midfielder for us, more someone that would be given a role to drop deep and find pockets of space between the lines and link up with the front 3. He was never someone that was disciplined in his defensive shape, or made lung busting runs to track midfielders.

I see no reason why mahrez couldnt do the same for us, as he has all the attributes coutinho has and you could even argue he's performed at a level coutinho has never reached.

Premier league experince, premier league winner, premier league player of the year and could play in the champions league. Seems a no brainer really depending on the price, but if we signed him and a proper defensive midfielder to cover his defensive contributions, then I see no reason as to why we wouldnt be better off.
    I know you have this weird notion that wingers can somehow just play anywhere, but I'm afraid real life is a bit different to FIFA.

Quote Originally Posted by An_buachaill_dearg View Post
    If Klopp can improve his already impressive stats could be a decent buy

We all had our doubts with Mane and Salah and look how they turned out
    I was thinking exactly this, could be a decent price for what Klopp could make a top top player

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    I know you have this weird notion that wingers can somehow just play anywhere, but I'm afraid real life is a bit different to FIFA.
    Man, this guy won the premier league and played a HUGE, HUGE part in that, you do not win the premier league unless you have some genuine quality in the team and let us be honest, Mahrez was a massive part of them winning the league that season and is genuine quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneomax View Post
    Man, this guy won the premier league and played a HUGE, HUGE part in that, you do not win the premier league unless you have some genuine quality in the team and let us be honest, Mahrez was a massive part of them winning the league that season and is genuine quality.
    Can he play as a playmaker cm?

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    A formation change and we don't need a like for like replacement...just another striker and more quality options behind him.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Can he play as a playmaker cm?
    He has the ability to play from deep there is no doubt about that his long range passing and vision is pretty damn excellent on par with Phil's tbf, Klopp will have to work some magic fast though, but if anyone can help him adapt fast enough, Klopp can.

No more than a squad player for us - too often will be a passenger and MIA

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    A formation change and we don't need a like for like replacement...just another striker and more quality options behind him.
    We do need someone from deep who can deliver good passes, you saw how last night our midfield looked blunt in that area(barring VVD) Mahrez would do a fine job.

He would be a fantastic replacement in all honesty, we will probably see a much better version of him at Liverpool too because we have much more quality in the team than Leicester do. Coutinho is a great player but he does have his flaws aswell, Mahrez is a more than suitable replacement, but provided Klopp can bring him up to speed fast, the talent is there, absolutely no doubt about that.
    Mahrez would be a decent replacement for Coutinho in the same way Shawcross would be a 'decent replacement" for Van Dijk.

The ideal replacement for Coutinho I'd the worst case scenario occurs and he leaves is Thomas Lemar. We don't need a player to provide natural width and trickery. What we need is an someone that splits defences with their passing. Mahrez doesn't do that, Lemar does. Mahrez would be an ideal stand-in for either Salah or Mane and would improve the squad. Certainly not as a Coutinho replacement. That's why we need a KDB or Hazard type in the Coutinho role if Coutinho does leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    Mahrez would be a decent replacement for Coutinho in the same way Shawcross would be a 'decent replacement" for Van Dijk.

The ideal replacement for Coutinho I'd the worst case scenario occurs and he leaves is Thomas Lemar. We don't need a player to provide natural width and trickery. What we need is an someone that splits defences with their passing. Mahrez doesn't do that, Lemar does. Mahrez would be an ideal stand-in for either Salah or Mane and would improve the squad. Certainly not as a Coutinho replacement. That's why we need a KDB or Hazard type in the Coutinho role if Coutinho does leave.
    I think i agree with you. He would be good to rotate with salah and mane. But he is not a replacement for coutinho

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post

LOL dude, have you seen some of Mahrez passing? I can think back I think it was 2016 he was playign against us when he played a phenomenal inch perfect long range ball to Vardy which Vardy volleyed into the goal. Don't tell me he cannot play defence splitting passes! LOL!