Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738
Results 1,111 to 1,138 of 1138

Thread: Official Statement: Coutinho Leaves Liverpool

Alpha Papa is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by FIOS View Post
    I've literally just told you they are looking to loan him to a club in the championship this season but we want to find the right club. I suspect you know and understand this too.

Youre wrong about Woodburn too. No deal was signed off by Liverpool. We didnt cancel anything because we hadn't sanctioned the deal to begin with. The story is that the deal was delayed, and now the latest is that Ejaria might be included in the deal along with Woodburn. Klopp has always been reluctant to send Woodburn on loan anyway. He knocked it back at the start of the season, and finally would only consider allowing him to leave on loan if he had guaranteed football. It would be no surprise whatsoever if he got cold feet over any deal again.

What signs of panic are we showing?
    Either way the idea that we're in panic mode based on (a) decisions about a couple of fairly irrelevant youth players; and (b) our continued pursuit of one of Europe's top talents who we have previously gone after; is just ludicrous.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Gazza74 is online now LFCTV GO Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by reallash View Post
    The club is panicing right now
    Are they ****.

If anything it's the exact opposite of that as we've sold Coutinho and no rushing into any other decisions as it's still early in January.

Jurgen is one manager we definitely know doesn't panic, as we saw with the Van Dijk stuff.

I've literally just told you they are looking to loan him to a club in the championship this season but we want to find the right club. I suspect you know and understand this too.

Youre wrong about Woodburn too. No deal was signed off by Liverpool. We didnt cancel anything because we hadn't sanctioned the deal to begin with. The story is that the deal was delayed, and now the latest is that Ejaria might be included in the deal along with Woodburn. Klopp has always been reluctant to send Woodburn on loan anyway. He knocked it back at the start of the season, and finally would only consider allowing him to leave on loan if he had guaranteed football. It would be no surprise whatsoever if he got cold feet over any deal again.

What signs of panic are we showing?
    It's desperate stuff.....
    Last edited by Jannno; 9-1-18 at 16:39. Reason: don't get personal please

All this talk of 'panic' is ridiculous. It's just projection, individuals projecting their own personal panic and anxiety onto the club when they aren't in a position to judge the mood of the people at the club or the intentions of the club to handle the disappointment of losing a major player.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Papa View Post
    Either way the idea that we're in panic mode based on (a) decisions about a couple of fairly irrelevant youth players; and (b) our continued pursuit of one of Europe's top talents who we have previously gone after; is just ludicrous.
    The whole "trying to sign another top player" as a sign of panic is the most baffling one.

I mean, who exactly is falling for this particular brand of bull? Who is going to read his comments and think "Yes, I agree that we are panicking because we're supposedly trying to sign Lemar again". Who is going to read that and think it's a reasonable view to offer.

Unfathomable stuff.

It reminds me of Jonesy from Dads Army. Don’t panic! Never heard so much codswallop as that panic, panic my arse.

The whole "trying to sign another top player" as a sign of panic is the most baffling one.

I mean, who exactly is falling for this particular brand of bull? Who is going to read his comments and think "Yes, I agree that we are panicking because we're supposedly trying to sign Lemar again". Who is going to read that and think it's a reasonable view to offer.

Unfathomable stuff.
    Sorry Janno.

On this, i know, it's odd isn't it.

We've sold Coutinho as Jurgen felt it was time and no point carrying on with an unhappy player, so now we then enter the next phase of bringing a replacement in.

There is no panic, if that was the case then we'd have signed Knockaert or Lanzini for £90m on the same day Coutinho left, but everything is cool and calm with the club at the minute.

Everything coming out is that if we can't get a replacement in January we'll wait until the summer, the exact opposite of panicking, only ones i've seen panicking are the fans, the club and those in charge all seem very calm and going about the usual business, including winning matches.

But if we do sign Lemar this month it is hardly panic, it's part of the process of selling a player and then replacing him, where is the panic exactly.

Apologies if posted already, another article on post Coutinho here by Sean Ingle, decent read to a point:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...tics-barcelona

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Apologies if posted already, another article on post Coutinho here by Sean Ingle, decent read to a point:

God stats stats stats

I appreciate others live by them but they do my head in.

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post

Stupid Article. Where is the statistic on Link up play...that is where he is up there with the best IMO. Very hard to replace that mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddes View Post
    God stats stats stats

I appreciate others live by them but they do my head in.
    All within reason I guess, I'm not one for over using stats personally

The headline one I guess is we only lost once I think when he was missing through injury or rotation

Quote Originally Posted by navmister View Post
    Stupid Article. Where is the statistic on Link up play...that is where he is up there with the best IMO. Very hard to replace that mentality.
    I wouldn't go as far as calling it stupid

I don't think you can measure that, depends what you interpret as link up play and where on the pitch it happens, as in is it in danger areas or just earlier on in build up play etc.

I said it before and I'll say it again though, his leaving is not as deathly as made out in the noise, fantastic player but in terms of our system and set up we can live without him and have done already

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...ippe-coutinho/

No clubs sell their big stars in January - so why have Liverpool sold Philippe Coutinho?
    JAMIE CARRAGHER
    12 JANUARY 2018 • 3:10PM

“January is a difficult market to do business. No-one wants to sell their best players.”

How often do you hear managers say this? The winter transfer window comes with a warning - don’t expect much; top performers are not available; it is the wrong time to buy and sell. Except, it seems, where Liverpool and Philippe Coutinho are concerned.

I can’t understand Liverpool’s decision to sell Coutinho now. Not mid-season.

No matter how much I hear about boyhood dreams; efforts to convince him to stay; and how much family, representatives or even sponsors pushed for it, why this month?

The financial reward is vast. So is the risk.

Liverpool are well placed to finish runners-up to Manchester City. They have a kind Champions League draw. The Liverpool team of January 2018 is superior to that of January 2005, which won the competition. They have lost just four of their last 44 games, continuously improving. Why endanger momentum?

Regardless of how much Coutinho agitated, Liverpool could have stood firm. While some players such as Alexis Sanchez and Virgil Van Dijk lost form after being denied their summer move, Coutinho was the opposite. He has never played better for Liverpool than between September and December this season. I am sure the Brazilian would have recovered from his disappointment for four more months.

It was more risky to keep him in August than now. No-one knew how he would react on his return to the side. He demonstrated it was in his nature to always give 100 per cent, so why expect different in February?

When the move was denied last summer the player and his agent must have expected he would be retained for the year. What changed?

I agree the £142 million fee is astronomical. The transfer market is crazy, but for Coutinho to become the second most expensive player in world football is extraordinary. He has become an outstanding player, but he is not the best in the Premier League like Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale or Luis Suarez when they made their moves to La Liga. He is behind Harry Kane, Kevin De Bruyne and Eden Hazard.

But I still fear a mid-season deal unnecessarily jeopardises Liverpool's Champions League place for next season. If they do not finish in the top four everyone will point at Coutinho’s sale.

Imagine the fillip for Liverpool’s top four rivals. If Kane ever leaves Spurs for Real Madrid, or Sanchez leaves Arsenal for Manchester City, their Champions League hopes will immediately diminish.

The frustration for Liverpool supporters is every time the club looks capable of challenging for top honours they become prey.

They finished second to Manchester City and lost Luis Suarez. Before that we came second to Manchester United and lost Xabi Alonso. Liverpool are not alone in being forced to accept their place in the football pyramid. Barcelona and Madrid eventually get what they want. Even Manchester United had to submit to Real when Ronaldo wanted out.

Losing stars is not a recent Anfield phenomenon, either. In 1977 the club sold Kevin Keegan to Hamburg for a record fee. In 1984 they sold their captain Graeme Souness to Sampdoria at a time Italian football was the wealthiest in the world. In 1987 Ian Rush joined Juventus.

The difference is they left with a sack full of trophies, Keegan and Souness as European Cup holders, while Rush had won the League/FA Cup Double a year earlier.

Losing the player is not the biggest problem. It is when they leave, what they leave behind, and how well the void is filled that has been the greatest cause of Anfield stress.

Coutinho goes after five years without a trophy. For Torres it was the same. Suarez won just the League Cup. All left with the club craving a return to what it once was, having played their part in generating hope. They got close but then the rebuilding had to start afresh. That intensifies the dissatisfaction. You can accept and recover from major sales after a successful period, but not in the midst of reconstruction.

Liverpool dipped after the exits of Alonso, Torres and Suarez. They panicked, believing they had to act to appease those demanding they reinvest.

Inadequate replacements such as Alberto Aquilani, Andy Carroll and Mario Balotelli arrived. The three managers in charge at the time – Rafa Benitez, Kenny Dalglish and Brendan Rodgers - were gone the following year. Huge sums were received and wasted. Bad transfers cost jobs. The Carroll fee kept rising because Newcastle knew Liverpool had the Torres cash. The rest of English football was laughing when it rose to £35 million.

Where the Coutinho departure differs is Liverpool have a more balanced squad now than in 2009, 2011 and 2014. They do not need to panic buy. If a long-term target can be signed they should act, but otherwise it is right to wait.

Having been criticised a few year ago, Liverpool’s recruitment team has been more astute recently; Mo Salah, Sadio Mane, Roberto Firmino and Joe Gomez have proved to be exceptional signings. Virgil Van Dijk and the soon-to-arrive Naby Keita promise much. These recruits ensure Klopp can direct his resources on pursuing one or two high class players rather than six or seven, as was the case with the Suarez money. At the start of next season we will be seeing a fully-formed Klopp team rather than a developed version of the squad Rodgers left behind.

This makes me more optimistic longer-term than I was following the Suarez transfer.

Earlier this season I argued Liverpool may never win the title under Klopp. My reasoning is based on finances. City and United working in a different market.

While Liverpool posses the Coutinho money, temporarily at least, that has changed. Klopp is in a better position to at least challenge his Premier League rivals for the most coveted stars. The £142 million brings opportunity. Since he joined Liverpool he has recouped £34 million more than he has invested. If he and his scouts continue to spend well, Liverpool will emerge stronger.

Van Dijk’s arrival addresses the need for a centre-back. I will be staggered if Klopp does not target a more trustworthy goalkeeper. Too many people also appear to have forgotten Adam Lallana – England’s most technically gifted player – who will slot into the midfield role Coutinho has occupied for most of the season.

Nothing will persuade me selling Coutinho now makes sense. Selling one of your best players can never be a cause for satisfaction.

But the parallels with the sales Alonso, Torres and Suarez are not so valid. Liverpool are less fragile now.

It is up to Klopp to succeed where both Benitez and Rodgers failed in 2009 and 2014 – ensuring a mega receipt of cash does not reverse a position of growing strength into one of debilitating weakness.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...ippe-coutinho/

Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool did everything to keep Philippe Coutinho but forcing him to stay was not an option

Chris Bascombe
    12 JANUARY 2018 • 2:17PM

Jurgen Klopp says he could not be sure of Philippe Coutinho’s commitment to Liverpool in the second half of the season had he kept him against his will following Barcelona’s bid.

Speaking about the £142 million sale to the Nou Camp, Klopp explained why the Merseyside club felt compelled to agree to let Coutinho go.

“There was no other option,” said Klopp. “If there is someone who should be angry or really disappointed by the sale it could be the manager but I am not. We did everything to try and keep Phil here.

“This was his dream. He would only leave Liverpool for one club. The club was fighting until the last second to keep Phil.

“I knew it would come up again in this transfer window and it could have been very difficult if we had done what we could have done -‘there’s your contract and you have to stay here’ - and to use him as a player in the second half of the season.

“That was a decision I have to make, does it make sense, do I think I can still use him, can he help us still? And to be honest, it was 100 per cent clear no chance.

“He was not ready to do that anymore. He did fantastic in the first part of the season after the things we had to deal with in the summer. He did fantastic and the team did fantastic.

“That’s over now, we cannot do that anymore, so we made that decision.”

Liverpool will reinvest the transfer funds, but Klopp is open-minded about how and when he will add more signings.

“We don't have to replace him,” said Klopp.

“What we have to do is we have to step up. We played fantastic football without Phil.

“I don't want to sound disrespectful because I really liked him but we only have to carry on. We had fantastic games with him and not so good games with him.

"We have open eyes through this transfer window but we will not make crazy things.”

Liverpool are hoping to bring Naby Keita to Anfield sooner - a deal is agreed for July - although Klopp offered no clue as to how negotiations with RB Leipzig are progressing.

“My understanding is there is nothing to say. He is a player of Leipzig,” he said.

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    really, didn't realise that. ****** phenomenal.

The Liverpool team of January 2018 is superior to that of January 2005, which won the competition. They have lost just four of their last 44 games,

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    he's a little **** then isn't he
    dont look back in anger.

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    he's a little **** then isn't he
    There are five letters in 'scamp'.

I canít believe that Phil would have downed tools for long, with World Cup looming. Even he would have to justify his place in the Brazil team.

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    I canít believe that Phil would have downed tools for long, with World Cup looming. Even he would have to justify his place in the Brazil team.
    I don't buy that either.

If he downed tools it would have been after the summer transfer window.

I'm still surprised he was allowed to go now. I have no doubt whatsoever, he would have played as he did earlier in the season the second half as he wants to be ready for the World Cup.

Klopp on Coutinho:

"Having a player of his quality and bringing him out there [to play], but his head is already away, and then he plays at 40 percent, gets injured or not, it's a difficult situation for the whole squad."

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...-phil-thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bewdleyfan View Post
    Klopp on Coutinho:

"Having a player of his quality and bringing him out there [to play], but his head is already away, and then he plays at 40 percent, gets injured or not, it's a difficult situation for the whole squad."

Excellent Stuff. Thanks for posting link.

And there we have it from the horse's mouth.
    Thankyou for telling it straight Herr Klopp

Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    Excellent Stuff. Thanks for posting link.

And there we have it from the horse's mouth.
    Thankyou for telling it straight Herr Klopp
    Good now can we finally move on from the little ****bag

Klopp on Coutinho:

“Gets injured OR NOT” says it all. Always feignit injury and not giving 100%. That why we win more without him. Bye bye, enjoy the sun

Jannno is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Klopp on Coutinho:

Klopp: We made massive statements in the last window, we bought Sadio Mane. The whole league tried to get him but he wanted to come to Liverpool. Mo Salah, the whole world wanted him, and he wanted to come to Liverpool, so we made this statement.
    Hee hee! Great innit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jannno View Post
    Hee hee! Great innit!
    Ox left the comfort zone to come to us too

Quote Originally Posted by Jannno View Post
    Hee hee! Great innit!
    Big Virge wanted to come to us and only us

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Big Virge wanted to come to us and only us
    Like a Virgil...Scores on his very first time...
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Jannno is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    *faints

Quote Originally Posted by Going CouCou View Post
    “Gets injured OR NOT” says it all. Always feignit injury and not giving 100%. That why we win more without him. Bye bye, enjoy the sun
    I guess the 40% figure is a bit of an insult from Klopp there alright.

Don't know what to make of it. 99% isn't enough, but saying he's play at 40 is putting the boot in.

Pretty much a final word (or number) on the saga from Kloppo there