Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Coutinho - Signs for Barca - 142 million

BBC and Barca:

"There was an important reduction in the cost of this transfer. We can't go into the number."

So we sold Coutinho off on the cheap? Why £142 million, at least round it up to £150 million or something.

Hell, if we dragged this on we could have milked Barca for even more and taken it to Mbappe's £166 million plus level.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Why do you keep saying that as if it's something special and not something most of us do?
    It’s a ‘trust me, I know what I’m talking about unlike you lot...’

Apparently some clause in the contract between LFC and Barca preventing clubs revealing the total transfer fee?

So did we actually do a deal for £142 million or did Barca actually rob us?

Was it true Coutinho paid £11 million plus of his own money just to help Barca fund the transfer fee too? He was that desperate to leave us in January? Haha

Our own ex Red Luis Suarez looking for houses in Barcelona for his mate Coutinho to help him settle into life at his new club.

I suppose he wasn't the only Barca player doing the persuading and sending our Magician cheeky text messages.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    That’d mean Champions League, hells yeeaahh!! Bring the trophy home Mane/Salah/Firmino/Karius...
    We need to show Coutinho what he'll be missing, at least for this season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Would have been nice if he'd been getting 15 or 20 minutes here and there when we were winning comfortably, would have came in useful now.
    Very odd how he’s been handled this season, especially after doing so well for Wales - there was a window there to run on that bit of momentum, but he was back playing underage stuff right after, and since really.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemer View Post
    Not every player that leaves us gets vilified, but fans do get more attached with big players than others. That is inevitable.
    You saw the Xmas video of Coutinho, Firmino and Ox visiting the school and most kids there have named Phil as their hero. Ofcourse there will be some tears, people will get heartbroken with memories, etc. I remember I how I felt with Owen and others leaving us - I felt like girl just dumped me - and it needs just time to get over it. I feel today much better than when the news broke, tbh.

Personally, if I had to categorize my feelings towards big players leaving us:
    1. I'd say Owen tops the pile of anger. Perhaps even more the fact he joined to play Manchester United later on. That was the ultimate betrayal for me and I just can't get over that - not even now he's an ambassador of our club.
    2. 2nd on my list would be Torres. We got big money for him, but joining our PL rivals is a no-no for me. I have literally cried over all those memories we had, the songs we sang, but I strongly condemned when few decided to burn his shirt. Although I was very happy to see Torres failing to deliver same performances at Chelsea.
    3. 3rd would be Sterling for going to City. It was obvious he will become a class player one day, but his professional career at Liverpool lasted too short to hurt me really. Still, the schemes he and his agent tried to pull on us were quite despicable.
    4. 4th would now be Phil Coutinho. He left us to go to a different league and I can understand his reasons in joining Barca, like any other southamerican. What I can't accept is unprofessional behaviour of throwing toys out of the box, faking back injury, etc. ... just to push the deal go through. The club, Klopp and we (the fans) didn't deserve that and I am sure he would get his dream fulfilled if he behaved better. Kudos though, he didn't sulk and played in best form up until the transfer window.
    5. 5th is Suarez. His departure to Barca was sad, but I can again understand his motivation. I never believed the biting incidents were his way of pushing the transfer deals go through, but it did disappoint me. As well as when he went missing on our preseason amid the transfer speculations. I'd say he was just sometimes nuts, but an incredibly emotional player and pure fighter who sincerely loved this club. He still speaks kindly on Liverpool and returned for few friendly games. I still followed his career afterwards and was glad he made success with Barcelona.
    6. 6th and the least hated big departure would have to be Xabi Alonso and I think most would agree on that. I cried for weeks when he left us and both we (supporters) and the players felt like we lost a brother from a foster home. It felt like someone took him away against his will. He was a true gentleman and professional both off and on the pitch. The way he still talks big about us, even though he achieved much more at other clubs, is a testimony for his greatness. I love and respect the guy to the death, and was delighted with every success he achieved.
    I've no issue with Owen leaving us. We got the best years out if him. Neither Real Madrid or Newcastle saw the Michael Owen of Liverpool that scared defences half to death with that raw pace. What annoyed me and still does, is he could have joined anyone when he left Newcastle.

He could have joined his bouhood club Everton., nothing would have been said. He would have remained a Liverpool legend. Peter Beardsley and the late Gary Ablett remain legends despite playing for Everton. Owen joining' that club ' should never be forgiven.

Some people say it's just like Paul Ince. No it's not. Paul Ince was not a Manchester United academy graduate. He came from the West Ham academy. Owen having come from the Liverpool academy broke the unwritten rule. If you come from the Liverpool academy you never ever play for Manchester United. It's acceptable however to play for clubs that hate them, just like Robbie Fowler did.

Torres was never the same player for Chelsea that he was for us, again we got the best out if him. Chelsea paid £50 million for a cheap imitation. Even Rafa at Chelsea couldn't bring back the Torres of old.

I would have been more upset with Suarez if he hadn't been banned for 4 months. I also reckon Liverpool would have dug their heels in and not sold if he wasn't banned. Thd 4 month banned changed things sugnificantly.

I do agree though the most upsetting was Alonso. It was really the start of Rafa's and our downfall and a sign that we needed new ownership. We need to take this departure on the chin and ensure that we come bsck stronger, nastier and even more formidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogster View Post
    We need to show Coutinho what he'll be missing, at least for this season anyway.
    That's right agree with your opinion

Philippe Coutinho is guaranteed to win the league title in Spain this season

while we might get 2nd/3rd/4th/5th in Premier League this season

We need to stop signing young south americans and spaniards. They will always see LFC as a stepping stone to barca or real. Not to say that others wont but barca and real have a history of targeting south americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    I've no issue with Owen leaving us. We got the best years out if him. Neither Real Madrid or Newcastle saw the Michael Owen of Liverpool that scared defences half to death with that raw pace. What annoyed me and still does, is he could have joined anyone when he left Newcastle.

He could have joined his bouhood club Everton., nothing would have been said. He would have remained a Liverpool legend. Peter Beardsley and the late Gary Ablett remain legends despite playing for Everton. Owen joining' that club ' should never be forgiven.

Some people say it's just like Paul Ince. No it's not. Paul Ince was not a Manchester United academy graduate. He came from the West Ham academy. Owen having come from the Liverpool academy broke the unwritten rule. If you come from the Liverpool academy you never ever play for Manchester United. It's acceptable however to play for clubs that hate them, just like Robbie Fowler did.
    What rules? Owen got a PL medal. I don't begrudge him going to Manure.

There is no unwritten rule. Players go where they can get success these days.

No matter how bitter we are about him moving to Barca and we want him to fail (I really want him to fail lol) the truth is he’s gonna have the time of his life there.

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Anfield-assassin View Post
    We need to stop signing young south americans and spaniards. They will always see LFC as a stepping stone to barca or real. Not to say that others wont but barca and real have a history of targeting south americans.
    its why we are signing half f africa

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post

Quote Originally Posted by naturalskill View Post
    did you apologise to all those posters you attacked for daring to believe coutinho was going to barca this window?
    I stated my opinion. Didn't attack anybody.

Better for us. The PL is miles ahead of any other league in Africa and perhaps it wont be as easy for Barca/real to prise them away. Although it is diffcult for any footballer to resist them, we may have a better chance of keeping them

i think i was probably one of the attacked
    Show me.

This is said a lot lately, but other than Mané and Salah, do have any other African players?

I suppose Matip, but he retired from international duty pretty soon into his time here.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    This is said a lot lately, but other than Mané and Salah, do have any other African players?

I suppose Matip, but he retired from international duty pretty soon into his time here.
    Keita.

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Keita.
    we have a youth nigerian

and we re signing ndidi and mahrez , need a good african keeper

Keita.
    Ah, the comments make more sense now.

The move of the Afcon must be a big factor too, not just for us.

we have a youth nigerian

I’d be shocked if we signed Mahrez. Not to mention disappointed.

we have a youth nigerian

Id take Ndidi for def cm next season. More tackles than any other PL player last year.

we have a youth nigerian

Bruce Grobbelaar Zimbabwe didn't we have some other South African player as well can't think of top of my head

Id take Ndidi for def cm next season. More tackles than any other PL player last year.
    I want to sign him purely so I can say 'yes Ndidi' every time he does well.

brilliant! Make it happen Klopp!

He looks dangerous on the ball. Wouldn't mind a punt on him.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    brilliant! Make it happen Klopp!

I might even buy a jersey!

Ndidi do well.

we have a youth nigerian

and we re signing ndidi and mahrez
    , need a good african keeper
    We are?