Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Coutinho - Signs for Barca - 142 million

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    dave's a very slow typist
    Snail's pace....
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Thomsy13 View Post
    Thing is that unlike this club other clubs will be clever enough to say- if you really want this player you can wait until the summer. Those clubs will still ask for the same amount of money and our club will be happy to pay the same amount of money that they would do right now in January.
    Like the saints?

Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    Just lazy I suppose and most things get covered or you work around whats there.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiverLife View Post
    £142 million is a good deal financially
    Be better if it was more up front (than £105m) May be worth noting that is only 73% of the overall fee and whilst BBC referenced them as "realistic" could still be quite a while before we see them or they wouldn't have bothered putting clauses in at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiverLife View Post
    But losing a World Class player like Coutinho is not going to be a good deal until we replace that loss with a top brass player

When that happened I’ll be a little more happier about the situation
    Whichever way we go about spending the money, and depends very much if the VVD fee plays any part in that so I'm not convinced we'll see too much of that £105m spent nor is this necessarily the best time to be spending on players, it will be a punt. If we throw £50m+ at replacing him it may not work out any better than if we try and repeat the kind of signing that Coutinho was some Januarys ago at £8.5m.........

Pretty impressive though to be getting maybe 17 times what we paid for him, but ultimately the hole he leaves needs to be filled. I reckon Mahrez may be the better option at present, 26 and having a decent season having been a major part of a league winning side. Won't be cup tied in Europe, only issue would be negotiating the fee which may still be the reported £50m they wanted for him in the summer. £30m plus a few million (maybe £10m max) in trophy and goals related clauses and I'd snap him up, has played in this league, we know he's capable and we will be a step up from Leicester with no bigger step ups that I'm aware of being interested in him.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Like the saints?
    Saints sold us Van Dijk because their season was already going downhill and his head was already turned, it didn't make any different to their season if they sell him or not. Not sure there's any other player or indeed club in the world in that exact same situation.

Just lazy I suppose and most things get covered or you work around whats there.
    Well exactly. Unless you're desperate to be the first to create matchday threads or threads covering other games then there's not much else unless you want to innovate a new thread on a topic no one else has thought of and in my experience a lot of them aren't that innovative - like "what's our strongest back line" type threads which can be discussed in any number of existing threads and is so great it's off the first page of threads with 87 replies and all within 3 days of creation.

Not sure we need a new thread every weekend or midweek either, could probably limit it to a general thread or one a month. I mean one such thread on a page I'm looking at has 10 pages, matchday threads draw 20, 30 or more (usually, Swansea didn't) then again New Year's thread got 8 pages, cup thread has 5 and already the citeh game which is next week is on 2 so will massacre the rest albeit half the comments may be about trolls, WUMs and silly squabbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    Are you Carra in disguise??.. if not then that cannot be your personal opinion...
    Sorry what I mean this is my personal opinion what I've read it's not based on facts because I can't bring up the link so all I can do is express my opinion what I've read

it's my personal opinion I don't want anyone to agree with it or based on any facts

not devastated that Philippe Coutinho has gone as it was a matter of time, yes I'm upset that we've lost one of the best players in the world

just find it devastating how Liverpool have reacted to this whole situation

first we had an opportunity in the summer to replace him

second we kept a player against his wishes

third wonder if we've got a replacement short term now or looking for long-term placement in the summer

this is a big pressure moment for Klopp and the owners

davevietnam is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Be better if it was more up front (than £105m) May be worth noting that is only 73% of the overall fee and whilst BBC referenced them as "realistic" could still be quite a while before we see them or they wouldn't have bothered putting clauses in at all.

Whichever way we go about spending the money, and depends very much if the VVD fee plays any part in that so I'm not convinced we'll see too much of that £105m spent nor is this necessarily the best time to be spending on players, it will be a punt. If we throw £50m+ at replacing him it may not work out any better than if we try and repeat the kind of signing that Coutinho was some Januarys ago at £8.5m.........

Pretty impressive though to be getting maybe 17 times what we paid for him, but ultimately the hole he leaves needs to be filled. I reckon Mahrez may be the better option at present, 26 and having a decent season having been a major part of a league winning side. Won't be cup tied in Europe, only issue would be negotiating the fee which may still be the reported £50m they wanted for him in the summer. £30m plus a few million (maybe £10m max) in trophy and goals related clauses and I'd snap him up, has played in this league, we know he's capable and we will be a step up from Leicester with no bigger step ups that I'm aware of being interested in him.
    Disagree to be honest, £105m up front is a huge amount and probably close to one of the highest ever fees ever paid up front and will certainly open up any window we wish to open, many deals are done with a 50% up front payment and the rest paid over 3 or 4 years, and to be fair if Barca had not received the money from PSG all up front we would have accepted less [not the fee but amount up front].

I know it's a bit left-field, but I wonder if Gareth Bale would be a suitable replacement.

It seems he's a bit out of favour at Real, but he's still a very good player.

The main doubts are that he'll be 29 this year, so would hardly fit into any moneyball type of agenda, plus he was out for four months with an achilles injury early last year.

Still, it's not as though we couldn't afford him.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    I know it's a bit left-field, but I wonder if Gareth Bale would be a suitable replacement.

The main doubts are that he'll be 29 this year, so would hardly fit into any moneyball type of agenda, plus he was out for four months with an achilles injury early last year.

Yeh there's no chance of that happening Nige.

seen a lot of posts with people saying about the knock -on effect that selling coutinho in the middle of the season could have on dressing room and player moral -- but MAYBE there was something going on behind the scenes that we are not privy too , maybe coutinho was having a detrimental effect on some of the other players, lets face it there are plenty on here who have said about the mysterious back injury he 'suffered' earlier in the season -the one that 'healed' itself just in time for brazils international games, then there is the latest 'thigh strain' that hit just days before the january transfer window opened - whats the odds coutinho will be 'fit' for barca with in a week ? for all we know klopp and the rest of the coaching staff may have decided it was better for the team to let him go now - a disgruntled or unhappy player can be such a negative in a dressing room .

problem with bale is he's another 'sick note' we already have enough of them --( henderson ,sturridge ,lallana ,ings , lovren , matip ) last thing we need is another player we cant rely on to stay fit .

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Yeh there's no chance of that happening Nige.
    And I wouldn’t want him either. If he gets injured that much in Spain, he’ll have no chance if he comes back to England.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Disagree to be honest, £105m up front is a huge amount and probably close to one of the highest ever fees ever paid up front and will certainly open up any window we wish to open, many deals are done with a 50% up front payment and the rest paid over 3 or 4 years, and to be fair if Barca had not received the money from PSG all up front we would have accepted less [not the fee but amount up front].
    I'm not saying it isn't a huge amount, but they are hanging on to 27% of the overall fee so reporting it as £142m makes it sound a lot better than it will be to start with.

I appreciate that there is the knock on of selling someone for big money with clauses, a bit like needing the money and completion of the sale of your house before being able to do the same with the house you are buying, but it still doesn't make £105m as much as £142m.........

And we don't know what these clauses are, may well be goals scored which isn't go to be in single or likely breaking into double figures, if it's trophies then we might see some money before the end of the season, if it's league titles then if it's one we may well see soonest although surely they wouldn't agree it on the basis of something where they're six points clear with a game in hand and DOUBLE the GD of the nearest rival and FOURTEEN points ahead of their biggest rivals if not posing the biggest threat.

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post
    Sorry what I mean this is my personal opinion what I've read it's not based on facts because I can't bring up the link so all I can do is express my opinion what I've read
    To be honest we can usually tell opinion from fact from wording, I know you've mentioned your lack of posting back-up links before but you can reference a source like "BBC" or not bother.

Put another way, you keep putting that it's your opinion in every post you'll get even more grief than you do already

I'd love to know what Joorabchians cut is for "brokering" the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Like the saints?
    What Saints did was actually rather smart. They realized that centrebacks will be in demand when transfer market opens and their captain is a prized asset. They waited for bidding war to start between us, City, Arsenal and Chelsea, but once we turned his head they fended Liverpool off by reporting an illegal approach. They managed to hold onto and got the big money they wanted.

What we did here is less remarkable, as we feel bent over Barca. It is foolish to let you best player go in January and we don't seem to have adequate replacements lined up because no other club will want to do the same mistake as us. We could have threatened Barcelona and Nike with a lawsuit for all these unprofessional schemes, yet we acted like a small club - bowing down to a greater power.

Very disappointed if we didn't plan for life after Phil. We had enough time to predict this scenario and prepare for replacing him. If God forbid we do miss out on top4 etc, it will be this decision that will prove costly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post

We don't know for sure how much money FSG will make available after sales, but that aside unless Madrid were willing to offload Bale for say £20m-£30m would it be worth that risk? He's been at Madrid five seasons now, including this so 4.5 if someone wishes to split hairs, and the most league apps he's made is 31. He did put away 19 league goals in 23 apps in 15/16, but only just passed that number of apps if you combine this season and last although I'm not sure how much of this season and his 6 league apps is injury, I would guess a lot but don't know for sure (unlike Barca's wiki page Real don't list injuries!)

At the age of 28 it would be too much of a risk, and no doubt silly wages.

Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    I'd love to know what Joorabchians cut is for "brokering" the deal.
    A new set of teeth? He likes his gnashers, I’m told

Agreed. I think FSG were clever in that they dictated when they add-ons are activated. If Barcelona had their way, the add-ons would only be activated if Phil won the Ryder Cup, the X Factor and Dancing with the Stars plus 4 Ballon D'ors.

FSG ensured that the add-ons are performance and appearance related. They should get their first instalment in May when Barcelona win La Liga.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    A new set of teeth? He likes his gnashers, I’m told
    Probably 20%

Personally I think Firmino is tailor made for the CAM role - better work rate, better defensively and more goals from runs into the box (VVD on freekicks).

We also have Lallana and Wijnaldum who can play there.

I would prefer to see us buy a top striker and a goalkeeper. (4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1)

Then I think we would have a better balanced side.

If we do go down the "replacement" route I'm not sure about these wingers we are being linked with (Lemar, Mahrez etc) - I just don't see them in the same side as Salah and Mane.

Would prefer someone central.

I always thought Suso had the right attributes but I haven't followed his progress. As somebody said, although it might be unfeasible, Bale would if fit be a good option - the attraction for him being he could be offered the role he had at Spurs as opposed to playing wide. My preference would be Deli Alli but our officials screwed up there big time over the £5m!!!. Curve ball but what about Mhiktaryan on the cheap and Klopp getting him back to his best! (Although Klopp knows him and wasn't interested when the chance was there, plus wouldn't want to deal with them)

Anyway, still prefer a Striker and Keeper....

fredthecamel is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RedChuck View Post
    Personally I think Firmino is tailor made for the CAM role - better work rate, better defensively and more goals from runs into the box (VVD on freekicks).

We also have Lallana and Wijnaldum who can play there.

I would prefer to see us buy a top striker and a goalkeeper. (4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1)

Then I think we would have a better balanced side.

If we do go down the "replacement" route I'm not sure about these wingers we are being linked with (Lemar, Mahrez etc) - I just don't see them in the same side as Salah and Mane.

Would prefer someone central.

I always thought Suso had the right attributes but I haven't followed his progress. As somebody said, although it might be unfeasible, Bale would if fit be a good option - the attraction for him being he could be offered the role he had at Spurs as opposed to playing wide. My preference would be Deli Alli but our officials screwed up there big time over the £5m!!!. Curve ball but what about Mhiktaryan on the cheap and Klopp getting him back to his best! (Although Klopp knows him and wasn't interested when the chance was there, plus wouldn't want to deal with them)

Anyway, still prefer a Striker and Keeper....
    maybe salah will go central to 9 if we sign a mahrez or another wide player

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    He already does a lot of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    ffs

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    ffs

I don't think we're going to sign Mahrez. That guy is pretty drawn towards Leicester, and now Lemar is off-table as well. The winger situation is going pretty much off-hand. Bring in Leigh Griffiths? He's the scottish Kane after all

Quote Originally Posted by mihamiha23 View Post
    As a team we have played better without him, especially in August, September.

Then Klopp integrated him back into the team and the balance was gone. Took a while for things to get going again.

On his day he is awesome, but we will find the ideal replacement.