Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Coutinho - Signs for Barca - 142 million

So he was going to down tools for the remainder of the season and sulk till summer ...

I think it's VERY safe to call him a rat now ... because that's what he is.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by livrule View Post
    So he was going to down tools for the remainder of the season and sulk till summer ...

Couldn’t agree more. Though I was already thinking it about him tbh.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    "He left Liverpool for only one club - Barcelona - but the club was fighting. It was 100% clear there was no chance I could use him in second half of the season. That’s over now. That’s it."

- Jurgen Klopp

*close thread*
    Just to add to that, For all those who couldn’t understand ‘why’ we sold him.

Klopp on why #lfc sold Coutinho now: "Because there was no other option. We had a contract but would have been difficult to keep him for 2nd half of season. Could he have helped us still? 100% clear no chance. Clear he wasn't ready to do that anymore."

I liked this bit

Klopp on a replacement: "If we do something..... we don't need to 'replace' him, we need to step up. We have played fantastic football without Phil. We only have to carry on."

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post

Klopp on why #lfc sold Coutinho now: "Because there was no other option. We had a contract but would have been difficult to keep him for 2nd half of season. Could he have helped us still? 100% clear no chance. Clear he wasn't ready to do that anymore."

I liked this bit

Klopp on a replacement: "If we do something..... we don't need to 'replace' him, we need to step up. We have played fantastic football without Phil. We only have to carry on."

Exactly.

He'll make that step up by making signings when the players he wants are available. I'm backing his judgement on big signings as he's not let us down so far.

Quote Originally Posted by livrule View Post

Yep. Klopp's decision was correct.

He wouldn't have downed tools completely, but probably feigned injury or not give 100% to the team, instead focused on keeping fit for the WC.

142 million to get rid of the rat? We did well out of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    Exactly.

He'll make that step up by making signings when the players he wants are available. I'm backing his judgement on big signings as he's not let us down so far.
    Agreed. People were saying we should’ve signed any CB when we didn’t get VVD, Klopp waited and got his man a clear improvement on the CBs we have.

He’ll get us a player or get us playing a way that’s a clear step up from before. I’m sure he’s not happy with what Coutinho did, whatever he says publicly, Klopp will make it his mission to improve the team post-Coutinho.

I liked this bit

Good addition. I really like that he called him out too, he left no room for debate that this was all on Coutinho.

"He left Liverpool for only one club - Barcelona - but the club was fighting. It was 100% clear there was no chance I could use him in second half of the season. That’s over now. That’s it."

- Jurgen Klopp

*close thread*
    Was that ever in any doubt? The conveniently timed injury in the summer has shown him for what he is. Not sure why people still try to blame Klopp or FSG.

Good addition. I really like that he called him out too, he left no room for debate that this was all on Coutinho.
    Not true. A friend of mine saw an add in the sales section of the Yellow paper in November. It read:

1 Coutinho for sale.
    Condition: Used, but in excellent condition.
    150 million ono

Will be ready for delivery from January 1st

What the add was doing in the north east was beyond me

Quote Originally Posted by Hair Helmet View Post
    Was that ever in any doubt? The conveniently timed injury in the summer has shown him for what he is. Not sure why people still try to blame Klopp or FSG.
    There was some doubt/speculation that he played fantastic football for the first half of the season with no indication that he’d ‘down tool’ so he would’ve done the same second half. Klopp has set the record straight once and for all.

There was some doubt/speculation that he played fantastic football for the first half of the season with no indication that he’d ‘down tool’ so he would’ve done the same second half. Klopp has set the record straight once and for all.
    The convenient injury issue right before the transfer window opens? Or was that not a big enough hint?

Quote Originally Posted by Hair Helmet View Post
    The convenient injury issue right before the transfer window opens? Or was that not a big enough hint?
    We had that in the Summer too, remember? There was a chance this injury was for real or assurances of a Summer sale would ‘heal’ him. Klopp’s comments clear up any doubts/questions as to why we sold now.

We had that in the Summer too, remember? There was a chance this injury was for real or assurances of a Summer sale would ‘heal’ him. Klopp’s comments clear up any doubts/questions as to why we sold now.
    And Barca have confirmed that he really was injured, and will be out for 3 weeks.

Agreed. People were saying we should’ve signed any CB when we didn’t get VVD, Klopp waited and got his man a clear improvement on the CBs we have.

He’ll get us a player or get us playing a way that’s a clear step up from before. I’m sure he’s not happy with what Coutinho did, whatever he says publicly, Klopp will make it his mission to improve the team post-Coutinho.
    Not only that. I have a feeling that Klopp not only wanted Van Dijk due to his height and physique and his pace. There is more to it. Van Dijk has a presence and an assurance and that gives the rest of the defence confidence. I saw a new confidence in the defence last Friday. The back four looked far more assured. The majority say one player can't improve an entire defence.

I disagree, the right player can improve a defence, in the same way the right midfielder can improve a midfield, the right attacker can improve an attack. Salah has improved our forward line. It's not just his individual brilliance, he's improved the forward line.

I expect Keita to improve that midfield when he arrives. Why? He just like Salah and Van Dijk are different to what we originally have/had. Keita isn't just an allrounder, he's a musclebound beast with a nasty streak. We currently don't have that.

I still expect Klopp to make improvements and add things we don't currently have. It would be delusional to not have faith in him with regards to big signings.

i've have sold him anyway, £142m is good money. he's got magic feet and could go to another level but he has a long way to go. all we need to replace was the one that played for us. he didn't score enough goals and he looked superb against teams where there was loads of space between the lines and in behind like swansea where coutinho had a great game. but where teams sat deep, no space between lines or in behind like west brom, he was largely pedestrian with a few great touches and turns. we'd miss losing bobby more than him. also mane will see a lot more of the ball now because his first season we got it out wide, got him one on one and he'd beat his man or do a quick 1-2 and was in behind and would set people up. this season its all been through coutinho and he's been trying to find salah with a 30 yard ball in behind. we just play a different way. basically coutinho, firmino and salah like quick one touch passing between the 3 of them and mane has been left out because his strength is one on one and more taking a risk and running away from people

That is such a load of old tosh. "I had no choice". Yes you did Klopp, the same choice you had in the summer, the same choice many clubs have made when we have come knocking on the door. "the player is going no where". Anyone who thinks Coutinho would sit out feigning injury or refusing to play from now until the end of the season lives in lah lah land.

1)- He loves to play and his resistance wouldn't last more than a few games.
    2)- By not playing his selection for Brazil in the World Cup would go down the drain.
    3)- The club's medics could over-rule any false claims of injury, showing the world he is a sham.
    4)- His star would fall considerably in the eyes of the football world, including Barcelona.
    5)-The club could fine him punitive amounts of money.

Like I said before, LFC held all the cards, the player had none except stubbornness. Klopp just did not have the stomach for the fight and showed Barcelona and other clubs, when it comes to a fight, Liverpool give in.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert-Hall View Post
    That is such a load of old tosh. "I had no choice". Yes you did Klopp, the same choice you had in the summer, the same choice many clubs have made when we have come knocking on the door. "the player is going no where". Anyone who thinks Coutinho would sit out feigning injury or refusing to play from now until the end of the season lives in lah lah land.

1)- He loves to play and his resistance wouldn't last more than a few games.
    2)- By not playing his selection for Brazil in the World Cup would go down the drain.
    3)- The club's medics could over-rule any false claims of injury, showing the world he is a sham.
    4)- His star would fall considerably in the eyes of the football world, including Barcelona.
    5)-The club could fine him punitive amounts of money.

Like I said before, LFC held all the cards, the player had none except stubbornness. Klopp just did not have the stomach for the fight and showed Barcelona and other clubs, when it comes to a fight, Liverpool give in.
    If the manager feels the players head is not in it 100 percent anymore, he usually gets rid.

Look at berahino. A one time rising star. Lost that fight and a possible £20m move to spurs. Now a nothing player.

Klopps aim is to have 100percent in everything including training. That's how he works. If he sees a player is not willing to do that, he will ship him out.

Look at balotelli and sakho. Sakho was messing around and klopp felt it was not good for what he was trying to build. Out he went.

It was like mcmanaman who had signed a pre contract and was on and off for a while. Does not set a good example to the squad and is bad for morale.

Coutinho would get in to the barca squad no problems anyway so even if he played at 85percent he would make it.

Barcelona would still buy him and would get a better deal by offering less knowing his head has gone.

The club can't fine him if he plays and trains but does not play or train at 100percent.

Quote Originally Posted by FSG-VanBasten View Post
    If the manager feels the players head is not in it 100 percent anymore, he usually gets rid.

Look at berahino. A one time rising star. Lost that fight and a possible £20m move to spurs. Now a nothing player.

Klopps aim is to have 100percent in everything including training. That's how he works. If he sees a player is not willing to do that, he will ship him out.

Look at balotelli and sakho. Sakho was messing around and klopp felt it was not good for what he was trying to build. Out he went.

It was like mcmanaman who had signed a pre contract and was on and off for a while. Does not set a good example to the squad and is bad for morale.

Coutinho would get in to the barca squad no problems anyway so even if he played at 85percent he would make it.

Barcelona would still buy him and would get a better deal by offering less knowing his head has gone.

The club can't fine him if he plays and trains but does not play or train at 100percent.
    Well said.

Klopp is in the best position to evaluate this.

Like he did between the summer and now?

luis been texing him. saying how great it is at barca .. and was already house hunting for him . nice one luis judas

Quote Originally Posted by robertretford View Post
    thats a non point. Because it was klopp who judges if his head is there or not. Coutinhos head was still in it in the summer.

Just for a second think why would coutinho who has been at the club for 5 years, now a senior player at the club, through in the cl, top four. With vvd signing too. Clubs done everything to keep him yet he's still desperate to leave and pays 11m himself to get it done. House hunting before the moves even done!

Why would a player who is going to such lengths to leave, cut his playing opportunities in the CL and lose £11m himself make you suggest that he will be in 100percent right frame of mind to play?

It's nonsense.

thats a non point. Because it was klopp who judges if his head is there or not. Coutinhos head was still in it in the summer.

Just for a second think why would coutinho who has been at the club for 5 years, now a senior player at the club, through in the cl, top four. With vvd signing too. Clubs done everything to keep him yet he's still desperate to leave and pays 11m himself to get it done. House hunting before the moves even done!

Why would a player who is going to such lengths to leave, cut his playing opportunities in the CL and lose £11m himself make you suggest that he will be in 100percent right frame of mind to play?

It's nonsense.

Did he pay the £11m in the summer?

Did he reject the chance to play for Liverpool in the cl and not being able to play for barca but happy to sacrifice it?

Was he house hunting?

Silly to use that line repeatedly. Klopp was obviously in talks with him and what's come out does clearly seem to show that he is gone in the head. So much he's willing to sacrifice playing in the latter stages of the cl.

Did he pay the £11m in the summer?

Did he reject the chance to play for Liverpool in the cl and not being able to play for barca but happy to sacrifice it?

Was he house hunting?

Silly to use that line repeatedly. Klopp was obviously in talks with him and what's come out does clearly seem to show that he is gone in the head. So much he's willing to sacrifice playing in the latter stages of the cl.
    He desperately wanted to go to Barcelona in the summer, he wasn't allowed and he played superbly between the summer and now.

Don't have evidence to suggest he paid £11 million from his own pocket, do you.

I have no complaints regarding Coutinho going/being allowed to go to Barcelona. It's the timing that's out but it's all been pre-arranged for a while in my opinion.

The decision to let him go mid season and not the summer was daft.

He desperately wanted to go to Barcelona in the summer, he wasn't allowed and he played superbly between the summer and now.

I have no complaints regarding Coutinho going/being allowed to go to Barcelona. It's the timing that's out but it's all been pre-arranged for a while in my opinion.

Think it was the right decision judging by the Klopp's comments about him.
    Klopp- "Could he have helped us still? 100% clear no chance. Clear he wasn't ready to do that anymore."
    There would be no use keeping him around if he wasn't ready to contribute.We made the right decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    Think it was the right decision judging by the Klopp's comments about him.
    Klopp- "Could he have helped us still? 100% clear no chance. Clear he wasn't ready to do that anymore."
    There would be no use keeping him around if he wasn't ready to contribute.We made the right decision.
    As I said further up the wheels had been in motion for a while so it was always happening. Still awful timing.

As I said further up the wheels had been in motion for a while so it was always happening. Still awful timing.
    So are you saying that's what was allowing Coutinho to play well, the knowledge that a deal was being done?

Pretty much most news sources have said he paid 11.5m to join. So unless they are all collectively wrong, I think chances are there is definitely something in it. Nor has coutinho denied it.

Also Gerrard and klopp have both said the club did everything to try and keep him. So this prearranged thing you mention holds no weight.

He has been desperate to join for a while but clearly something tipped him over.

As I said;
    £11.5m financially. So no money would make him stay
    Champions league sacrificed so even that was not making him stay
    Klopp signing vvd and the club in the top four currently also not good enough for him.

So if despite all this, I think it's fair for klopp to be given the chance to say thanks Phil, but its time to move on.

Hope Coutinho has a good career at Barcelona and he and Firmino both do well for Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    So are you saying that's what was allowing Coutinho to play well, the knowledge that a deal was being done?
    I think there's a good chance that it's the reason that's the case.

No issue with him leaving, whoever's choice it was, just the timing.

Could a promise have been made that he could go in the summer? Why not.