Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: Souness - 40 years ago today

1. #1 Default Souness - 40 years ago today 
    What a signing. I always feel that his reputation is seen as scarred by some (not me) because of the failings of his time as manager and the whole S** thing, but up there with any player to have pulled on a red shirt for me. Put Souness at his best in this team today and we'd be challenging City for the title. Imagine his transfer fee in these days!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

He was an immense player, so much talent and confidence.
    Not sure how he'd be in current game with his tackling! 😁

You had to see him to appreciate how good he was. A complete midfielder . Could do the lot.

My favourite ever player that was before my time. The one player I wish I could’ve seen play.
    YNWA

Terrific player, and best ever captain we've had in my time watching the Reds.

A powerhouse, a leader, a warrior, an enforcer, a talisman, an inspiration....with a high quality skillset. The complete midfielder.

Along with getting Kenny, getting Souness was one of Paisley's shrewdest moves.

His time as manager here has tarnished his reputation to a large degree I think, but if his playing days are to be remembered in isolation he was a legend.

Not a great fan of him as a pundit though...find him somewhat bland.

Remember the first time I visited Edinburgh. Took a cab from the airport to the center and started talking with the mate driving me. Obviously the conversation touched Liverpool and all the awesome Scottish players that played or us at some point. Turns out my driver was actually a school mate of Graeme. What he told me was that basically our very own Mr. Souness was already a bellend in his youth. What a player though!

foreverred-1973 is online now 100% Concentrated
    Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    Terrific player, and best ever captain we've had in my time watching the Reds.
    Same for me!
    Thank God I'm an Atheist!

The Man.

World Class Player, Decent pundit, Average manager.

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by IchBinEinKloppr View Post
    He was an immense player, so much talent and confidence.
    Not sure how he'd be in current game with his tackling! ��
    He'd be unavailable for half of the season.

Just like most of his victims.

Never had a player quit like him before or since. Fantastic leader.

Souness' time as a manager in no way whatsoever tarnishes his time as a player, not one bit.

The man very nearly gave his life for the club.

'Legend' doesn't come close for a man like Graeme Souness and it was a privilege to watch him play.

Quote Originally Posted by Machtig Maus View Post
    Souness' time as a manager in no way whatsoever tarnishes his time as a player, not one bit.

The man very nearly gave his life for the club.

'Legend' doesn't come close for a man like Graeme Souness and it was a privilege to watch him play.
    Agree. Not everyone succeeds as manager, but he gave it a shot and still won us an FA Cup while manager.

As a player he was immense. Just the sort of central midfielder we've been crying out for for years.

Brilliant brilliant player, would love to have his presence in midfield. A true "Hard man"...

I remember as a kid going to his house in Sandfield Park for an autograph, the look he gave me from his front garden was enough for me to leg it!

True legend.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    What a signing. I always feel that his reputation is seen as scarred by some (not me) because of the failings of his time as manager and the whole S** thing, but up there with any player to have pulled on a red shirt for me. Put Souness at his best in this team today and we'd be challenging City for the title. Imagine his transfer fee in these days!
    You're right woody, Souness would have brought greatness to the current side.

The man was absolutely immense in every sense, brilliant at passing with the vision to match, retaining a powerful shot that could settle a game on its own, as brave as a lion with fearsome tackling ability (I suppose you'd just have to ask anyone who was on the receiving end if they had all their fingers and toes), coupled with tremendous spatial awareness and understanding of the game. A natural leader of men, you would follow this man anywhere to do anything. At his peak he was a winning machine that could drive an army (as he effectively did with our Red Army). I've never seen a finer midfielder in all my years of watching football, and I don't expect to either. Souey was quite simply the best.