Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Tommy Lawrence

1. #1 Eternal Flame RIP Tommy Lawrence 
    LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Liverpool Football Club is deeply saddened by the passing of former goalkeeper Tommy Lawrence, aged 77.

The Scottish stopper, affectionately nicknamed ‘The Flying Pig’ due to his ability to make spectacular saves despite his size, was a key member of Bill Shankly’s first great Reds side in the early 1960s.

While it was his more attack-minded teammates who often took the limelight as the club laid foundations for a spate of success, Lawrence’s skillset – one more akin to modern ‘keepers – provided a formidable final line of defence for almost a decade.

Tommy joined Liverpool as an apprentice and had to be patient before an opportunity arose, though he wasted no time once it did.

His debut came in October 1962, a 1-0 defeat at West Bromwich Albion, and it was a rare occasion when Lawrence wasn’t between the posts during the eight years that followed.

A heavy build took nothing away from the Scot’s shot-stopping, as his playful moniker suggests.

Indeed, if opponents were not being thwarted by his eye-catching dives and acrobatic stops, they were left confounded by Tommy’s fleet-footed rushing off his line to snuff out potential danger – the sweeper-keeper of his era.

His talent was matched by his consistency. Lawrence missed only four league matches in the six seasons between 1963 and 1969, including three ever-present campaigns.

Having already helped Shankly’s team to championship glory in 1963-64, the goalkeeper was involved throughout the Reds’ run to a much-desired maiden FA Cup triumph the following year and played every game when the title was reclaimed in 1965-66.

Though Liverpool’s fortunes began to change as Shankly constructed the second all-conquering side of his reign, the boss could still depend on Lawrence and a then-record low of 24 league goals were conceded in 1968-69.

History often repeats itself and at the beginning of the 1970s, as it once had been his, it was the turn of none other than Ray Clemence to take the No.1 shirt.

So, with 390 appearances and three major trophies to his name at Anfield, one of the most popular and respected goalkeepers in LFC history took his acrobatics across to Tranmere Rovers in 1971.

There he clocked up another 80 league appearances before signing off his football career with non-league Chorley and then taking up the role of a factory quality controller in Warrington until his retirement.

The thoughts of everybody at the club are with Tommy’s family and friends at this sad time.

RIP Tommy Lawrence 1940-2018
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Oh no!

RIP Tommy. YNWA
    YNWA

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    damn. not the best start to the day.

rip. tommy.

YNWA

oh gosh, what a sad news!

Rest In Peace Great Legend and Loyal Servant of Liverpool Football Club!

YNWA Tommy Lawrence

BearWithMe is online now First team regular
    RIP the flying pig x

NACNUD is offline Justice Campaigner Extraordinaire
    Saddened by this news.

First goalkeeper I had the honour of watching play for us.

Rest in Peace Tommy. YNWA.

Remember him well. Great keeper. Perhaps he was consistently good because he played consistently! Rotation pah!
    RIP YNWA

RIP Tommy Lawrence.

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    RIP Tommy.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Quote Originally Posted by NACNUD View Post
    Saddened by this news.

First goalkeeper I had the honour of watching play for us.

Rest in Peace Tommy. YNWA.
    This: Rest in Peace. YNWA

RIP Tommy

the first Legendary keeper to don the LFC shirt in our Skankly era,

what a goalie, what a man, what a Legend!

I hadn't the fortune to watch him live 'cause I'm too young to see the LFC feats of the sixties,

but reading the Dave Bowler Shankly official biography, I realized the figure of this incredible football professional,

the importance of his role as first recognised sweeper keeper in the Shanks era,

we will never forget the size of the deeds the LFC team he made part have fulfilled,

He brought trophies and prestige to LFC with his goalkeeping role fulfilled in a modern way,

Rest In Peace Legend,

R.I.P. Tommy

GivinItBifters is online now Academy prospect
    RIP Tommy.

Loved it when he was stopped in the street by a reporter and asked if he remembered a particular game at Anfield. He astonished the interviewer when he replied "Yeah I remember it well, I was the goal keeper

Quote Originally Posted by GivinItBifters View Post
    RIP Tommy.

Loved it when he was stopped in the street by a reporter and asked if he remembered a particular game at Anfield. He astonished the interviewer when he replied "Yeah I remember it well, I was the goal keeper
    Shared a link to that a few posts ago mate.
    YNWA

Gone but never forgotten! YNWA

RIP Tommy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    Shared a link to that a few posts ago mate.
    Just watched it again, thanks for posting it

Quote Originally Posted by GivinItBifters View Post
    Just watched it again, thanks for posting it
    Lovely, isn’t it.
    YNWA

R.I.P. Big Man. Deeply saddened by this news, Thanks for all the great days. Sad sad news indeed, my first goalkeeping hero, kept Clem in the reserves for ages before he could break through into the first team. Probably still to this day the bravest keeper I've ever seen.

R.I.P. Tom, Y.N.W.A. See ya.
    Last edited by Amidared; 10-1-18 at 12:30.

Lovely, isn’t it.
    Really lovely. Tommy was the keeper when I first started supporting The Reds

I watched him so many times. First from the boys pen then from the Kop.The flying pig as he was affectionately known was very agile even though he had a heavy build. I am so surprised by his passing because it's only a few years ago that he was interviewed on the TV when they were asking passers by about the derby game from the 60s. The reporter was dumfounded when Tommy said "yes I remember that game I played in it.He looked so well. To say I am gutted would be an understatement. That first team lives on in the memory, so much so that I can reel it off even after more than 55 years. Lawrence Lawler Byrne Milne Yeats Stevenson . Callaghan hunt St John Smith Thompson . With Geoff Strong and Ronnie Moran used whenever they needed a sub, Shankly used to tell reporters It's the same team as last year. *********** gutted. RIP Tommy a true Liverpool legend

Lovely, man; there at the beginning, really. And I think actually underrated as a keeper, because of his perceived size and lack of height. But a wonderful shot-stopper and, as others have said, one of the first to play almost a sweeping role. I must confess, whilst I can see the charm of that famous BBC clip about the '67 derby I've almost felt a bit cheesed off that the reporter didn't recognise him, and then didn't know his name!
    My era and sad that both of those great keepers - the Blues' Gordon West too - have gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by johnamiri View Post
    I watched him so many times. First from the boys pen then from the Kop.The flying pig as he was affectionately known was very agile even though he had a heavy build. I am so surprised by his passing because it's only a few years ago that he was interviewed on the TV when they were asking passers by about the derby game from the 60s. The reporter was dumfounded when Tommy said "yes I remember that game I played in it. To say I am gutted would be an understatement. That first team lives on in the memory, so much so that I can reel it off even after more than 55 years. Lawrence Lawler Byrne Milne Yeats Stevenson . Callaghan hunt St John Sith Thompson . With Geoff Strong and Ronnie Moran used whenever they needed a sub, Shankly used to tell reporters It's the same team as last year. *********** gutted. RIP Tommy a true Liverpool legend
    Lovely post!

Quote Originally Posted by johnamiri View Post
    I watched him so many times. First from the boys pen then from the Kop.The flying pig as he was affectionately known was very agile even though he had a heavy build. I am so surprised by his passing because it's only a few years ago that he was interviewed on the TV when they were asking passers by about the derby game from the 60s. The reporter was dumfounded when Tommy said "yes I remember that game I played in it.He looked so well. To say I am gutted would be an understatement. That first team lives on in the memory, so much so that I can reel it off even after more than 55 years. Lawrence Lawler Byrne Milne Yeats Stevenson . Callaghan hunt St John Smith Thompson . With Geoff Strong and Ronnie Moran used whenever they needed a sub, Shankly used to tell reporters It's the same team as last year. *********** gutted. RIP Tommy a true Liverpool legend
    Nice post johnamiri. I too watched Tommy from my earliest days of match-going, though not as far back as you.

First game was v Atletico Bilbao in the Fairs Cup, when we lost on the toss of a coin - thank goodness games are no longer settled like that!

As you said, Tommy was very agile for a heavy-set man, and was an integral part pf Shankly's winning team. He deserves our full recognition for his part in our glory days of the Swinging Sixties.

Rest in Peace, dear Tommy, and may you be flying around Heaven with your new-won wings.
    God Bless xxx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-3118...h-bbc-reporter

Too young to have seen him play but have read great things about Mr. Lawrence.

Sad news for the club and condolences and sympathies to anyone who knew him.

Happy for his family for the video which has made him known to new generations of Liverpool supporter and created another legend in doing so, may his memory live on.

Nice watch.

RIP Mr. Lawrence.

Can see him now preparing before the game start. Was one of the many that made up the truly sensational team of the sixties. Did not at all look like he would be suited as a goalie. Plump was the way to describe him. Hope he had a happy life as he certainly provided a great deal of happiness to hundreds of thousands.
    RIP. YNWA.

This will take some of you back to Tommy's era http://cards.littleoak.com.au/197071.../liverpool.htm

Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    R.i.p.

Ynwa
    YNWA