Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Tommy Lawrence

To be remembered with a minutes applause ahead of tomorrows game with Man City
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

raybarnes is offline Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    RIP The Flying Pig loved by all Redmen

RIP

Canít see too many PL keepers taking up a role in a factory after hanging up their gloves. My, how times change.

Quote Originally Posted by mountbeautygeorge View Post
    Yes, green jerseys and as another poster also mentioned, no gloves! Great, great old days and a big thank you from me Tommy for being a big part of them.
    And here it is to prove it!!!
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/firs...tommy-lawrence
    loyal since 1960.

Mouldiogs is online now Wants a little line under his title
    R I P Tommy Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    RIP

Can’t see too many PL keepers taking up a role in a factory after hanging up their gloves. My, how times change.
    true, previous generations would be stunned to see the direction things have taken, 50% of footballers players are pretty obscene if you compare it to a heart surgeon or something which is an important skill. Also the price of football shirts are way over the top, and that money doesn't help the people who made the shirt. no practical value just image value, capitalism plays to the top naturally.

May his soul rest ip

Quote Originally Posted by BLiddellGreates View Post
    true, previous generations would be stunned to see the direction things have taken, 50% of footballers players are pretty obscene if you compare it to a heart surgeon or something which is an important skill. Also the price of football shirts are way over the top, and that money doesn't help the people who made the shirt. no practical value just image value, capitalism plays to the top naturally.

May his soul rest ip
    Souness made a good point about wage inflation, in his playing days a well paid player was getting around 5 times the industrial wage. Great money for the time obviously, but not so much that you were completely detached from reality. Now its something obscene like 600 times the average wage for the very best.

I'm not sure if they appreciate just how lucky they are these days, when you had guys from Tommy's era having to sell their medals just to make ends meet.

Quote Originally Posted by -Topper- View Post
    Souness made a good point about wage inflation, in his playing days a well paid player was getting around 5 times the industrial wage. Great money for the time obviously, but not so much that you were completely detached from reality. Now its something obscene like 600 times the average wage for the very best.

I'm not sure if they appreciate just how lucky they are these days, when you had guys from Tommy's era having to sell their medals just to make ends meet.
    Hear what you're saying, we are lucky (lucky to be alive as well, not just human) the disparity in wages does cause a divide that is growing. The rich have got so much materialism and their basic needs met, they don't need to have to pay over for anything etc so you almost get a two tier economy.