Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cl place finish or an FA cup win?

Mersey Dudek is online now Academy prospect
    Champions league is where it's at.

We need to win the FA Cup soon though. Been too long.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    thought i had seen this before. top four all day long. reasoning is quite simple and can easily be checked. most winners of trophies come from the top four.

the longer your out of it the less likely you will win a trophy. so if anyone really wants us to win trophies then we need to consistently be in or around top four.
    Give up an FA Cup win, so you can finish in the top four to give you a better chance of an FA Cup win.

It's a bold strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beige View Post
    Trophy would be nice, but monetarily it's £5m vs. £50m. Winning the FA Cup did nothing for Arsenal. They are still losing ÷zil and Alexis for pittance or nothing.
    They were losing players yearly when they were in the cl every season. Players wanna win trophies.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    It is a difficult question. I get both sides of the argument. I just think one trophy in ten years is poor.
    We've been in plenty of finals on top of that. If we can make those finals whilst being average, think about what we are capable of doing when we are actually good.

Fans want to win trophies, never mind players.

TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Trophy. You can see how competitive it is between 5 sides for 2nd through to 4th. I donít think a top player would be that upset with missing one year in the Champions League. Itís all about the money, we can offer enough to make it worth their while. I want to experience winning things again.

They were losing players yearly when they were in the cl every season. Players wanna win trophies.
    They were losing them because they stood still. Which was understandable as they build a new stadium just when the economy crashed. We are not aiming to do that.

Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    To attract better players and keep others we need CL.

Player looking to move is told by his agent a club are in for him. He asks are they in the CL, gets told no, but they won the FA Cup. Is he likely to say well that's ok then.

You are a player looking to move to the English League, get told two clubs are interested. One is in CL. One isn't but did win the FA Cup, though it was the first one in 12 years so they are not regularly winning FA Cups if you are thinking of moving to relish the dream of winning an FA Cup, they've never won it twice in succession in their history.

FA Cup win, could bring short term success.

CL Qualification, could bring long term success, be it the wait may be longer.

Win the lottery this week, or win it in two weeks when all the money from this week and the following week has rolled over.
    YNWA

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Itanimrac View Post
    Thatís the main factor. If youíre Arsenal, for example, and win the FA Cup, theyíve got no substance behind it. And with Klopp I can see heís starting his project with Van Dijk, Keita, Salah and Mane and thatís not to mention the player he did not sign in Firmino.
    aye. arsenal should have done far better during thier time.

as for us, we have been in two finals lately and didn't get luck of the draw. but we got there. its overlooked.

They were losing them because they stood still. Which was understandable as they build a new stadium just when the economy crashed. We are not aiming to do that.
    thank god for that. think arsenal are in a precarious position and would not be surprised if they have a major wobble over next few seasons.

What has finishing top 4 got us recently? nothing, absolutely nothing.

We need to be winning trophies, we need a winning mentality at at the club. Finishing as also-rans is nothing to shout about. I want to see the players parading around the city with a shiny trophy, seeing what it means to fans, getting a feel for it and wanting that feeling more. I mean, off the top of my head, is Milner our most decorated player? Possibly followed by the Ox? Itís not good enough for a club like Liverpool. We should be living for winning trophies.

Champions League is nice, but what is a few extra quid, the possibility (and thatís all it is) of signing a so called higher calibre of player, or hoping for a draw against one of the Ďbig boysí. Itís a poor mentality to have as a player or fan, in my opinion.

There is nothing better as a fan, than a day out watching Liverpool in a cup final or winning a cup final. All my best memories of watching Liverpool have come from winning trophies, not all those times we finished second, third or fourth in the league.

For **** sake, letís start winning trophies or at least wanting to win them, create a winning mentality, and most of all, make some ******* memories.

Normally I would say top 4 but this club has not won a proper trophy for about 12 years already. Also, Klopp really needs a trophy too and really needs to win a final.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoBaggio94 View Post
    What has finishing top 4 got us recently? nothing, absolutely nothing.

We need to be winning trophies, we need a winning mentality at at the club. Finishing as also-rans is nothing to shout about. I want to see the players parading around the city with a shiny trophy, seeing what it means to fans, getting a feel for it and wanting that feeling more. I mean, off the top of my head, is Milner our most decorated player? Possibly followed by the Ox? It’s not good enough for a club like Liverpool. We should be living for winning trophies.

Champions League is nice, but what is a few extra quid, the possibility (and that’s all it is) of signing a so called higher calibre of player, or hoping for a draw against one of the ‘big boys’. It’s a poor mentality to have as a player or fan, in my opinion.

There is nothing better as a fan, than a day out watching Liverpool in a cup final or winning a cup final. All my best memories of watching Liverpool have come from winning trophies, not all those times we finished second, third or fourth in the league.

For **** sake, let’s start winning trophies or at least wanting to win them, create a winning mentality, and most of all, make some ******* memories.
    and how often have we been in top four during the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mersey Dudek View Post
    Champions league is where it's at.

We need to win the FA Cup soon though. Been too long.
    CL place but klopp needs to win something soon.

We are not aiming to build a new stadium or we are not aiming for the economy to crash?

I have always wanted the 4th place CL spot to go to the FA Cup winners. You get a trophy, and you then also have the chance to play in the Champions League. Rewards at both ends. This then ends this argument as well.

Top 4,don't get me wrong a cup would be great but let's not fool ourselves in thinking the FA Cup holds the prestige it used to.
    Also if you were a top player looking for a new club would you rather be playing blockbuster nights against the big clubs of Europe or against Plymouth?

I want both, but if I had to choose then Top 4.

FA cup is nice, but consistency of being in the champions league is more important and the longer we are back in that competition the better players we can get. Which in turn leads us to having more chance of winning anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-red View Post
    I have always wanted the 4th place CL spot to go to the FA Cup winners. You get a trophy, and you then also have the chance to play in the Champions League. Rewards at both ends. This then ends this argument as well.
    No because it isn't a measure of very much. You can have the easiest run in the world to the FA cup final if you get a bit of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    and how often have we been in top four during the last decade.
    And how much stronger have we become after we have qualified?

We need to win trophies. Otherwise, seriously, whatís the point?

If it's either/or then regular Top 4 finishes first, followed by cup wins.

Our long term prospects are best served by regular Champions League football.

We need to win trophies. Otherwise, seriously, what’s the point?
    Exactly. At what point did it stop all being about trophies.
    YNWA

We need to win trophies. Otherwise, seriously, what’s the point?
    Luckily, the real world doesn't dictate that its a straight choice between the two - we can finish top 4 AND win the FA Cup. Phew!

However, for the purposes of this argument - what is going to help us win multiple trophies long term - a solitary FA Cup win or regular CL football, with the associated money and attracting the best players?

We've seen over the last 9 years how regularly missing out on the top 4 hurts us. One year here or there doesn't matter (e.g. Chelsea/United etc).

Quote Originally Posted by danm77 View Post
    If it's either/or then regular Top 4 finishes first, followed by cup wins.

Our long term prospects are best served by regular Champions League football.
    Was the last 10 years not long enough?

Maybe finishing 4th for the next 10 years may serve us well for when we win the FA Cup in 2028.

Iím already getting excited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by danm77 View Post
    Luckily, the real world doesn't dictate that its a straight choice between the two - we can finish top 4 AND win the FA Cup. Phew!

However, for the purposes of this argument - what is going to help us win multiple trophies long term - a solitary FA Cup win or regular CL football, with the associated money and attracting the best players?

We've seen over the last 9 years how regularly missing out on the top 4 hurts us. One year here or there doesn't matter (e.g. Chelsea/United etc).
    Indeed.

Itís served Arsenal just fine. You know, the same Arsenal many have pilloried for having no ambition, the same Arsenal whose players are jumping ship from.
    Last edited by RobertoBaggio94; 10-1-18 at 15:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    We are not aiming to build a new stadium or we are not aiming for the economy to crash?
    Standing still and being happy with finishing in the top 4.

Exactly. At what point did it stop all being about trophies.
    When Jim White start telling everyone you canít buy a good player unless youíre in the Champions League, or when Sky invented the Ďrace for top 4í, an achievement almost as great as winning the actual league title.

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Indeed.

It’s served Arsenal just fine. You know, the same arsenal many have pilloried for having no ambition, the same Arsenal whose players are jumping ship from.
    Arsenal did both...won 3 FA Cups since we last won anything and players still left.

But it is this seasons absence from the CL that has put them in the mire.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Quote Originally Posted by GrottonRed View Post
    Arsenal did both...won 3 FA Cups since we last won anything and players still left.

But it is this seasons absence from the CL that has put them in the mire.
    Players are leaving Arsenal because of a lack of ambition. Not because of one season out of Europe, I donít think so anyway.

The players that are leaving are winners. Should we continue to not win anything, weíll no doubt lose our best players too.

Indeed.

It’s served Arsenal just fine. You know, the same Arsenal many have pilloried for having no ambition, the same Arsenal whose players are jumping ship from.
    Arsenal's problem is their manager and not investing properly in their squad. However, would they have been able to sign Ozil and Sanchez without being CL regulars? Unlikely.