Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cl place finish or an FA cup win?

1. #1 Emlyn Cl place finish or an FA cup win? 
    Asked this in the Twitter thread last night and had some interesting feedback

If you were offered today, either a 4th placed finish this season or an FA cup win, which would bayou take? You can only pick one

Itís a tough decision as I understand itís important for us to be regulars in the cl. Iím going for an FA cup win though. Our last trophy was 6 years ago...thatís far too long for a club of our size. Winning trophies is what itís about Ta.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Of course the top 4. We need consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Itanimrac View Post
    Of course the top 4. We need consistency.
    Do we not also need to start winning trophies again?
    YNWA

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    thought i had seen this before. top four all day long. reasoning is quite simple and can easily be checked. most winners of trophies come from the top four.

the longer your out of it the less likely you will win a trophy. so if anyone really wants us to win trophies then we need to consistently be in or around top four.

Both.

I'll have my cake and eat it thank you!

YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf kal View Post
    thought i had seen this before. top four all day long. reasoning is quite simple and can easily be checked. most winners of trophies come from the top four.

the longer your out of it the less likely you will win a trophy. so if anyone really wants us to win trophies then we need to consistently be in or around top four.
    Surprised me there. I thought you’d be in the winning the cup camp.
    YNWA

I really want a trophy but we can't afford to miss out on the CL at the moment. We are making progress and attracting players.

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessman View Post
    Both.

I'll have my cake and eat it thank you!

YNWA
    Same here.
    Greed is good.

No contest, top 4. Only way we can continue to progress by attracting top players. All want CL action.

Like I said yesterday to you mate, I’d love to win a cup. It’s why this once great club used to exist, but given we need to build (and by extension compete for trophies long term) I’d say getting in Top players is more important, so top four is a must, it’s why selling your best player in jan is profoundly stupid, hopefully fsg have a plan, but we simply must do something as without top four we regress and all the hard work since Jurgen came will be for nothing , it’s a strange thing to gamble on given we should be loaded and as barce showed us and indeed Southampton learned ) a lot of money makes players available who were otherwise unobtainable

So finishing top four for me Is a must

Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    Same here.
    Greed is good.
    I get that, but if you had to choose one?
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    I get that, but if you had to choose one?
    Well,if you were sticking matchsticks under my toenails I'd have to choose a top four finish.

FA Cup win, 100%.

Surprised me there. I thought you’d be in the winning the cup camp.
    i do. but i also get the importance of top four. as i said go backwards and majority of trophies are won by those in top four. we have a great history. but do you think we would have won all those cups if we had not been dominating the league at the time.

Heart says cup, head says CL

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ottershaw View Post
    No contest, top 4. Only way we can continue to progress by attracting top players. All want CL action.
    Haven’t you been supporting us since the ‘60’s? If so, I’m surprised by your answer as well

Looks like I’m not in the majority on this.
    YNWA

Would definitely love to win the FA Cup, but seeing as we have not featured that much in the champions league over the past number of years, right now I would take 4th CL place all day long. We could easily lose more ground on the big boys if we donít feature in the CL.

CL could maybe attract better players again next year , but i feel we need a trophy aswell. so hard
    Eagle Face Moron

Whatever it is I hope it overshadows the release of Everton's 'Twelve Corners That Shook The Premier League' DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post
    CL could maybe attract better players again next year , but i feel we need a trophy aswell. so hard
    It is a difficult question. I get both sides of the argument. I just think one trophy in ten years is poor.
    YNWA

We need to be in the top four to achieve a number of things on and off the field so itís not really a contest... has to be top 4

Do we not also need to start winning trophies again?
    All I can say is that without the top 4, we wouldnít have signed Salah, Ox, Van Dijk, Keita, I donít say this as a loose-opinion, Iím saying this as an Ďopinioní that is Ďcloseí to a fact. 8 or 9 out of 10 times the players that I mentioned probably wouldnít have joined us. We arenít high spenders, i.e Man City, Man Utd or Chelsea, so we canít afford not to be in the top 4.

Be patient, I fully-heartedly see Kloppís project, so I would take the top 4, unquestionably.

It is a difficult question. I get both sides of the argument. I just think one trophy in ten years is poor.
    ofc it is. but that is with no context isn't it. how many managers have we had since then and the changes that entailed. you never get anywhere doing that, besides the feelgood bounce that wears off. consistency is key.

ofc it is. but that is with no context isn't it. how many managers have we had since then and the changes that entailed. you never get anywhere doing that, besides the feelgood bounce that wears off. consistency is key.
    The counter argument to that is will we all celebrate a cl finish in 30 years, like we would do if we win the FA cup?
    YNWA

It is,but we need top four to attract better players which hopefully increases our chances of winning trophies.

Top 4 is better for the club much as I'd love a trophy.

That’s the main factor. If you’re Arsenal, for example, and win the FA Cup, they’ve got no substance behind it. And with Klopp I can see he’s starting his project with Van Dijk, Keita, Salah and Mane and that’s not to mention the player he did not sign in Firmino.

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    I look at this from a building and long term perspective. Top 4. For too many years, the club has been incapable of consistent participation in the CL. It hurts revenue and it hurts recruitment. Long term success which eventually will include winning trophies requires regular CL football. Winning an FA cup this season at the expense of CL next season does nothing to advance the Ďprojectí IMO.

Sign Coutinhos replacement this window and I'll be happy with fifth and a cup win.

To have already signed Keita, Van Dijk and say Lemar irrespective of a champions league place would be boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ottershaw View Post
    Trophy would be nice, but monetarily it's £5m vs. £50m. Winning the FA Cup did nothing for Arsenal. They are still losing ÷zil and Alexis for pittance or nothing. We aren't building a team to win a domestic cup anyway, and if we are successful in that, we'll win cups too.