Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Giles: Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho cash-in is proof they’re no longer a big club

Why is this even getting airtime by being posted here?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    Neymar had a clause that was triggered not really the same is it?
    A player doesn’t have to accept personal terms even if the clause is triggered. They only work if the player wants to go to the club that triggered the clause.

Quote Originally Posted by dxz View Post
    That's the only thing I don't understand. We needed him in Champions league, Premier league AND Barca cannot field him in Champions league and they have virtually tied up the Spanish league. So why not let him wait till summer?
    For the same price! We hold all the aces. Anyway, it has happened. i just pray we get our own Sheik so that we don't have to sell to buy. We have sold Sakho 30 million and now Couts 142 million and have only spent 75 on Van Dyck. Hope we recruit well in the summer
    Exactly.The move was done early to appease Barca fans after the Neymar debacle ,nothing else makes sense to why they rushed the deal

Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    A player doesn’t have to accept personal terms even if the clause is triggered. They only work if the player wants to go to the club that triggered the clause.
    The player can do what he wants when his clause has been triggered , thats a situation were the club has no choice but to sell

Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    So, I guess Barcelona aren't a big club anymore either because they sold Neymar? And Juve aren't a big club because they sold Pogba? It's all complete rubbish. Liverpool is bigger than any player. You don't want to be here? **** off then.
    Barca didn't sell Naymar, PSG met his buyout clause, different issue all together mate

I love how often we're told we're not a big club. I wonder why. Ask Pep he might have an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by reallash View Post
    Barca didn't sell Naymar, PSG met his buyout clause, different issue all together mate
    Oh, so Neymar didn't have a choice but to leave, is that it?

Lots of truth in that article which will upset a few because what makes them feels good is better than facts.If it was any club we would be laughing at how small time they looked.Something I cant seem to understand is, how we got from "we hold all the cards" to "we dont have a choice but to sell" in a space of 4 months. Every one had accepted the inevitable but to sell him mid season just shows you how weak our resolve is

It’s all a matter of perspective Emaxx.

Many look at the positives, others the not so positive.

There’s no right or wrong.

I feel Klopp was in a bind due to Coutinho’s posturing and agitation - a bit of damn if you do, damn if you don’t.

Giles has his opinion and he’s entitled to it - he’ll either look like a mug or a genius depending on how we fare under Jurgen.

Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Roshi98 View Post
    Oh, so Neymar didn't have a choice but to leave, is that it?
    Not really their point I don't think. It doesn't matter to Barca that Neymar wanted to leave, they wouldn't have sold him regardless.

I wonder sometimes if the supposed writers of these articles just get money to put their name on it and some one else writes whatever will get more net traffic. Or, Giles is basically given the remit to say what this article says, again just to generate more net traffic. Negative stuff generates more attention in news so when there is a chance of doing media does it I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Megali-Idea View Post
    Not really their point I don't think. It doesn't matter to Barca that Neymar wanted to leave, they wouldn't have sold him regardless.
    I don't buy this. We had the same situation with Arsenal and Suarez. Barcelona took the money thinking they'd bully us into the Couthinho sale. Didn't happen. They panicked and bought a player who injured himself in the first month.

We're now in that same boat (minus the panic buy). Let's move on and get the job done (on and off the field).

Not forgetting that both parties' (Neymar & Barcelona) brought legal proceedings against each other post-sale.

That doesn't seem to be happening here. So again, let's (Liverpool fc & Co.) move on.

shody1976 is online now First team regular
    All clubs sell players. Barcelona sold Ronaldo, Figo & Neymar, Juventus sold Zidane and Bonnucci, AC Milan sold Shevchenko, Man Utd sold Ronaldo. It’s a part of football and I’m not sure why everyone’s making such a huge deal out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by shody1976 View Post
    All clubs sell players. Barcelona sold Ronaldo, Figo & Neymar, Juventus sold Zidane and Bonnucci, AC Milan sold Shevchenko, Man Utd sold Ronaldo. It’s a part of football and I’m not sure why everyone’s making such a huge deal out of it.
    Thinking of it, Madrid is the ultimate football club. They've never been bullied into selling and they've done it to every club.

I totally disagree with John Giles! It is complete and utter nonsense to say that we aren't a no longer a Big club! I just posted it to show the rubbish that is being written on the Coutinho transfer. I trust Klopp will get in the player/s to replace Coutinho - No player is bigger than the Club! YNWA

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Liverpool sold Kevin Keegan after winning the European Cup. Barca sold Neymar this season.

Barcelona is a bigger club than Liverpool shock horror

More a sign that Klopp just couldn’t be arsed with the hassle of having to force him to stay and what the repercussions may have been

Quote Originally Posted by brummiered01 View Post
    More a sign that Klopp just couldn’t be arsed with the hassle of having to force him to stay and what the repercussions may have been
    Exactly.

1. If you make it ridiculously hard to leave the club then no one will want to join the club.
    2. Unhappy players disrupt dressing room harmony.
    3. Sometimes releasing great players allows you buy several good players, making your squad stronger and one of those good players can become a great player.

And breaking the world record for a defender... is that proof that we are? I'm confused...

Quote Originally Posted by PaddockBeanie View Post
    And breaking the world record for a defender... is that proof that we are? I'm confused...
    Sorry but that doesn’t suit the agenda

Quote Originally Posted by AidoC View Post
    I totally disagree with John Giles! It is complete and utter nonsense to say that we aren't a no longer a Big club! I just posted it to show the rubbish that is being written on the Coutinho transfer. I trust Klopp will get in the player/s to replace Coutinho - No player is bigger than the Club! YNWA
    You give John Giles a platform on here fair play with posting his articles

With all this exposure, he's got like...one fan who agrees with him. And thats on a global basis

Ganymede is online now Prefers one thread per page
    Do we need yet another Coutinho thread?

Couldn't this go in one of the many existing ones?

Lets not mess with semantics, Giles has always hated this club, always been a **** and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by AidoC View Post
    I’VE had a question in my mind about Liverpool for a few years now and whether they can still be considered a big club. It was answered for me this week when they sold Philippe Coutinho to Barcelona.

The one comment which stood out during the whole saga was at the end when the deal was done and Coutinho already moving into digs in Barcelona.

“We did everything within our means to keep Coutinho,” said Jurgen Klopp, apparently with a straight face.

Liverpool did not do everything in their power to keep Coutinho. They owned his contract. All they had to do was to refuse to sell him.

Now that would have been doing everything in their power to keep him.

I’ve asked myself the same question about the current owners of Liverpool and their ambitions for the club a few times in the past, particularly when Barcelona last set their sights on an Anfield favourite.

Liverpool stood their ground and almost won a Premier League title when they refused to allow Luis Suarez to go to Spain.

I expressed admiration for Liverpool’s owners at the time and when they eventually sold Suarez a year later, I had no problem with that.

By then, the baggage he brought with him had become so heavy, ranging from accusations of racism to his bizarre habit of biting opponents, that Liverpool didn’t have any real choice but to move him on.

I believe the Coutinho situation is different. According to Klopp, it has been the lad’s dream to play for Barcelona and therefore they could not persuade him to stay.

According to Barcelona, they got Coutinho cheap and if it’s true that the player had to fork out over £10m to make the deal happen, that certainly does not look like a club pulling out all the stops to keep their man. They are taking his money.

In fact, all they have really tried to do here is to choreograph the move in a way which would dilute the fact that Liverpool are selling one of their best players.

I believe this deal was done and a price agreed back in July and once Liverpool agreed to sell him, they made plans to spend a big chunk of the cash on Virgil van Dijk.

My instinct tells me that Coutinho was persuaded to play on after his clear disappointment at missing the boat in the August transfer window because he received a promise that he would be sold to Barcelona.

By no stretch of the imagination is that trying to hold onto a player and it seems to me that Liverpool’s performance in the title race may have triggered the move because it is an easier sell to the fans as a result.

Put it this way, I wonder if Liverpool were three points behind Manchester City and chasing for the title whether John W Henry and his partners would have agreed to sell Coutinho?

No, they would not because Coutinho is that type of gifted individual managers need to win titles and the Kop would have reacted badly.

Liverpool’s weakness for a number of seasons has been at the back and a big club’s solution to that problem would have been to buy Van Dijk and hold on to Coutinho as well.

To solve a problem in defence they sold one of their best attacking players.

That’s it in black and white. Liverpool are a selling club.
    I'm also ********** that he left in January. I'd rather he had gone in the summer to be honest.

Yeah, like Manure suddenly became a small club wenn they lost Fake Ronaldo to Real.

No matter how good and big your club is if Barcelona and Real swoop in you loose. Especially when the player in question is Spanish/Portuguese/South American.
    Last edited by KoalaToure; 11-1-18 at 11:31.

The player can do what he wants when his clause has been triggered , thats a situation were the club has no choice but to sell
    That's just not true. Triggering a release clause gives you the rights to discuss personal terms with the player in question. If he refuses your offers nothing happens.

BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    So by his theory Barca are not a big club because they sold Neymar, Utd are not a big club because they sold Ronaldo, Bayern are not a big club because they sold Kroos. What utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by aidoc View Post
    i totally disagree with john giles! It is complete and utter nonsense to say that we aren't a no longer a big club! I just posted it to show the rubbish that is being written on the coutinho transfer. I trust klopp will get in the player/s to replace coutinho - no player is bigger than the club! Ynwa
    lol