Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Giles: Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho cash-in is proof they’re no longer a big club

1. #1 Default John Giles: Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho cash-in is proof they’re no longer a big club 
    I’VE had a question in my mind about Liverpool for a few years now and whether they can still be considered a big club. It was answered for me this week when they sold Philippe Coutinho to Barcelona.

The one comment which stood out during the whole saga was at the end when the deal was done and Coutinho already moving into digs in Barcelona.

“We did everything within our means to keep Coutinho,” said Jurgen Klopp, apparently with a straight face.

Liverpool did not do everything in their power to keep Coutinho. They owned his contract. All they had to do was to refuse to sell him.

Now that would have been doing everything in their power to keep him.

I’ve asked myself the same question about the current owners of Liverpool and their ambitions for the club a few times in the past, particularly when Barcelona last set their sights on an Anfield favourite.

Liverpool stood their ground and almost won a Premier League title when they refused to allow Luis Suarez to go to Spain.

I expressed admiration for Liverpool’s owners at the time and when they eventually sold Suarez a year later, I had no problem with that.

By then, the baggage he brought with him had become so heavy, ranging from accusations of racism to his bizarre habit of biting opponents, that Liverpool didn’t have any real choice but to move him on.

I believe the Coutinho situation is different. According to Klopp, it has been the lad’s dream to play for Barcelona and therefore they could not persuade him to stay.

According to Barcelona, they got Coutinho cheap and if it’s true that the player had to fork out over £10m to make the deal happen, that certainly does not look like a club pulling out all the stops to keep their man. They are taking his money.

In fact, all they have really tried to do here is to choreograph the move in a way which would dilute the fact that Liverpool are selling one of their best players.

I believe this deal was done and a price agreed back in July and once Liverpool agreed to sell him, they made plans to spend a big chunk of the cash on Virgil van Dijk.

My instinct tells me that Coutinho was persuaded to play on after his clear disappointment at missing the boat in the August transfer window because he received a promise that he would be sold to Barcelona.

By no stretch of the imagination is that trying to hold onto a player and it seems to me that Liverpool’s performance in the title race may have triggered the move because it is an easier sell to the fans as a result.

Put it this way, I wonder if Liverpool were three points behind Manchester City and chasing for the title whether John W Henry and his partners would have agreed to sell Coutinho?

No, they would not because Coutinho is that type of gifted individual managers need to win titles and the Kop would have reacted badly.

Liverpool’s weakness for a number of seasons has been at the back and a big club’s solution to that problem would have been to buy Van Dijk and hold on to Coutinho as well.

To solve a problem in defence they sold one of their best attacking players.

That’s it in black and white. Liverpool are a selling club.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Did he get paid for writing that ?

Oh shut up you boring old fart

Heyyyyy, Ayles is a good Red...

I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as that, but what we do next, how we act strengthening the team given we now first hand for and against the way to get players in in January, by offering large sums, if we have targets we should absolutely get them in now or we might not make top four, and that’s critical in our development

I don’t honestly believe the soundbites of “we are happy with what we have”, I don’t believe we are stupid enough to think taking out our best player won’t make a negative difference to our midfield and attack, therefore I’m hopeful we will get one or two in now we have cash to spend, it’s not about making do , or stop gaps, but it’s a huge risk if we don’t , the right players will be available if we offer enough, or it cements the point we were foolish to sell cou at a pivotal stage in our season, and when come next week we might not be fourth anymore if city do beat us and Tottenham win. That’s of course another part of it, not only are we weakened by loosing I Coutinho but our rivals will be lifted by it, imagine how much a boost it would be if Tottenham sold Kane .

I think these next weeks are going to be more revealing than the fact we sold cou, how we react to solve problems, be it replacing cou, or fixing our spine , several areas of which could easily be strengthened

As big an incoming and the excitement vvd brought in seems to have dissipated , fans are rightly scratching there heads and wondering what will happen next, a huge lift now could be gained by signing someone who is quality be it in goal or in midfield or to bolster our attacking three.

A big club has to react and I’m still hopeful that’s exactlt what’s happening behind the scenes

Giles is a little man

I know Leeds are definitely not a big club anymore, John.

Seriously...do we need another Coutinho thread? It’s been done to death.
    YNWA

Shock horror...... a Brazilian wanting to play for Barcelona!!!!

Why do you keep posting this idiot's articles and always in a new thread? No one wants you to do so.

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottybackSte View Post
    Heyyyyy, Ayles is a good Red...
    Cheers mate, I was only saying there was really no need to bring my age into it

Quote Originally Posted by Beige View Post
    Why do you keep posting this idiot's articles and always in a new thread? No one wants you to do so.
    Always seems to be a thread to bait as well. Weird.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    Always seems to be a thread to bait as well. Weird.
    I think we know Giles'/his PR person's account on here.

Lots of truth in that article which will upset a few because what makes them feels good is better than facts.If it was any club we would be laughing at how small time they looked.Something I cant seem to understand is, how we got from "we hold all the cards" to "we dont have a choice but to sell" in a space of 4 months. Every one had accepted the inevitable but to sell him mid season just shows you how weak our resolve is

Jannno is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Same old same old from Johnny Giles. Superficial sensationalism..

Quote Originally Posted by Jannno View Post
    Same old same old from Johnny Giles. Superficial sensationalism..
    Plz lock the thread and revoke OP's thread starting privileges. He doesn't even join the discussion.

Has AidoC ever replied or given an opinion in one of his own threads?

Wasn't as if we let him go for peanuts...Seriously, only Neymar has ever been sold for more.

Can we get over this already? We're in the process of getting a replacement in. We need to be focusing on this weekend's game.

So, I guess Barcelona aren't a big club anymore either because they sold Neymar? And Juve aren't a big club because they sold Pogba? It's all complete rubbish. Liverpool is bigger than any player. You don't want to be here? **** off then.

shody1976 is online now First team regular
    Nothing more than a wind-up article. I wonder if he levelled the same criticism at Utd when they sold Ronaldo?

Quote Originally Posted by gedzredz View Post
    Has AidoC ever replied or given an opinion in one of his own threads?
    I remember a poster called jackDaniels who used to do this

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    did he get paid for writing that ?
    Quote Originally Posted by eddes View Post
    oh shut up you boring old fart
    Quote Originally Posted by knottybackste View Post
    heyyyyy, ayles is a good red...
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by SectionOneOneSeven View Post
    I remember a poster called jackDaniels who used to do this
    Johnny Giles has been on the Jack Daniels

grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Is his suggestion that we've been a big club until the moment Coutinho was sold?

Mersey Dudek is online now Academy prospect

We are not a big club not because we sell top talent but because we don't have enough talented players at one time. We are always one more top player away from being a solid top 4 side, but we can't seem to make the deal. Although our buying seems infinitely better than previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    So, I guess Barcelona aren't a big club anymore either because they sold Neymar? And Juve aren't a big club because they sold Pogba? It's all complete rubbish. Liverpool is bigger than any player. You don't want to be here? **** off then.
    Neymar had a clause that was triggered not really the same is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    Lots of truth in that article which will upset a few because what makes them feels good is better than facts.If it was any club we would be laughing at how small time they looked.Something I cant seem to understand is, how we got from "we hold all the cards" to "we dont have a choice but to sell" in a space of 4 months. Every one had accepted the inevitable but to sell him mid season just shows you how weak our resolve is
    That's the only thing I don't understand. We needed him in Champions league, Premier league AND Barca cannot field him in Champions league and they have virtually tied up the Spanish league. So why not let him wait till summer?
    For the same price! We hold all the aces. Anyway, it has happened. i just pray we get our own Sheik so that we don't have to sell to buy. We have sold Sakho 30 million and now Couts 142 million and have only spent 75 on Van Dyck. Hope we recruit well in the summer

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Another in a long line of articles, written in the style of the old guy sat at the end of the bar in your local...who bangs on about how the whole world has let him down....before falling off his stool in a drunken stupour.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

Clubs sell players. We've moved on. The writer should too.