Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 56

Thread: We’ve Run Out of Beds

  1. #1 Crest We’ve Run Out of Beds 
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,331
    Just read that “hospital bosses” are saying we’ve run out if beds. Don’t know. On Friday night, my severely disabled daughter became very ill. Heart rate went to 160, saturation’s dipped and we had to artificially breathe for her by bagging her (pumping her with oxygen whilst breathing for for her). Within 20 minutes of ringing an ambulance we had 4 staff at the house. Two ambulance crew and 2 paramedics. She was rushed to Alder Hey hospital and from the time we made the initial phone call to the time we were on the critical care unit (formally intensive care) was 2 hrs. People give the NHS so much stick. Nothing but praise for them. She was looked after so well that we were back home within 4 days. The quickest we’ve ever been on intensive care and back home. NHS rocks.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #2  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,161
    The staff are great, the system needs fixing and more nurses and Doctors employed. The private services need to be scraped. Over the holidays i was in and the ambulance staff were cleaning beds and preparing them for the next patient. That isn't their job but they're short on staff.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #3  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,338
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    Just read that “hospital bosses” are saying we’ve run out if beds. Don’t know. On Friday night, my severely disabled daughter became very ill. Heart rate went to 160, saturation’s dipped and we had to artificially breathe for her by bagging her (pumping her with oxygen whilst breathing for for her). Within 20 minutes of ringing an ambulance we had 4 staff at the house. Two ambulance crew and 2 paramedics. She was rushed to Alder Hey hospital and from the time we made the initial phone call to the time we were on the critical care unit (formally intensive care) was 2 hrs. People give the NHS so much stick. Nothing but praise for them. She was looked after so well that we were back home within 4 days. The quickest we’ve ever been on intensive care and back home. NHS rocks.
    May I ask whereabouts it was that you made this hospital visit ?

    My grandad went in a week before christmas, he was bleeding from down below, he had to wait 7 hours on a smelly bed in a dirty corridor that was full of beds up and down both sides, until we were seen too, there were people seriously ill in the corridor too, old people on breathing apparatus and drips, it was disgusting, I was gobsmacked.

    I have always said that we are lucky that this facility is even there to help us when we get ill, but it is blatantly obvious to anyone that spends any amount of time in there how stretched things have become, the NHS staff are mostly brilliant and do a great job, I dont think I could work under those circumstances, we owe them a great deal !!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #4  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,331
    Quote Originally Posted by IDREAMOFGINI View Post
    The staff are great, the system needs fixing and more nurses and Doctors employed. The private services need to be scraped. Over the holidays i was in and the ambulance staff were cleaning beds and preparing them for the next patient. That isn't their job but they're short on staff.
    Yes. System is dodgy. Staff are great. They couldn't have been better whether I'd paid millions.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #5  
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,551
    Whenever I've used the hospital and nhs they've been first class.
    I think all the negative stuff is from people who are impatient and expect to be seen instantly. Such is our selfish attitude these days
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #6  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,331
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonedtraveller View Post
    Whenever I've used the hospital and nhs they've been first class.
    I think all the negative stuff is from people who are impatient and expect to be seen instantly. Such is our selfish attitude these days
    Totally agree.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #7  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,338
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonedtraveller View Post
    Whenever I've used the hospital and nhs they've been first class.
    I think all the negative stuff is from people who are impatient and expect to be seen instantly. Such is our selfish attitude these days
    Its posts like this in which we see your real colours as a wind up merchant.

    Anyone with eyes and a functioning brain can see that the NHS is stretched and the government are doing nothing about it, because a lot of them will benefit financially if we go private.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #8  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,338
    sorry double post
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #9  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,331
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    May I ask whereabouts it was that you made this hospital visit ?

    My grandad went in a week before christmas, he was bleeding from down below, he had to wait 7 hours on a smelly bed in a dirty corridor that was full of beds up and down both sides, until we were seen too, there were people seriously ill in the corridor too, old people on breathing apparatus and drips, it was disgusting, I was gobsmacked.

    I have always said that we are lucky that this facility is even there to help us when we get ill, but it is blatantly obvious to anyone that spends any amount of time in there how stretched things have become, the NHS staff are mostly brilliant and do a great job, I dont think I could work under those circumstances, we owe them a great deal !!
    AlderHey. Best kids hospital in the world. A few years ago we got sent to Great Orman Street. Not a patch on Alder Hey.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #10  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,338
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    AlderHey. Best kids hospital in the world. A few years ago we got sent to Great Orman Street. Not a patch on Alder Hey.
    I have heard good things about that place, I am glad it all went well for you, I cant help but worry about how people will cope if they have to go to the queens medical centre, the hospital that we were in, it was that bad.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #11  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,135
    Considering the under investment bu successive governments and mis-use of the NHS by a significant percentage of the population, the NHS in my view does an amazing job most of the time.

    Lives are still needlessly lost a times and things could be so much better if the government truly cared and the population acted responsibly.
    My ship is coming in.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #12  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,331
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    I have heard good things about that place, I am glad it all went well for you, I cant help but worry about how people will cope if they have to go to the queens medical centre, the hospital that we were in, it was that bad.
    What hospital are you talking about? I've never heard of the Queens Medical Centre.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #13  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,338
    Quote Originally Posted by youwannabe View Post
    Considering the under investment bu successive governments and mis-use of the NHS by a significant percentage of the population, the NHS in my view does an amazing job most of the time.

    Lives are still needlessly lost a times and things could be so much better if the government truly cared and the population acted responsibly.
    yea we are lucky to be born in a place where decent hospitals even exists, I would never make complaint regarding something that happened in hospital, accidents will always happen and most of the time they occur it
    because the staff are over worked and tired.

    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    What hospital are you talking about? I've never heard of the Queens Medical Centre.
    It is Nottinghams biggest hospital, it was the largest in the country for a while after it was built.
    Last edited by MrDilkington; 11-1-18 at 13:21.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #14  
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,551
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    Its posts like this in which we see your real colours as a wind up merchant.

    Anyone with eyes and a functioning brain can see that the NHS is stretched and the government are doing nothing about it, because a lot of them will benefit financially if we go private.
    The nhs gets plenty of money.....it's just wasted.
    Hospital a and e are crammed with people with minor ailments
    People go to a and e because they can't get in the doctors.
    Yes it can be better but it ain't that bad
    Last edited by seasonedtraveller; 11-1-18 at 13:32.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #15  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,896
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    yea we are lucky to be born in a place where decent hospitals even exists, I would never make complaint regarding something that happened in hospital, accidents will always happen and most of the time they occur it
    because the staff are over worked and tired.



    It is Nottinghams biggest hospital, it was the largest in the country for a while after it was built.
    Yes it may be a case of First World Problems - but there are ways to make improvements in every system. Especially if a holistic view is taken about the issues with nothing being ruled in or out before a cross political spectrum discussion can be had.

    E.g. the NHS announced the suspension of non-critical/non-time dependent/elective surgery along with allowing unisex wards to the end of January due to mitigating against the risk of being beyond capacity or having to cancel operations at the last minute.

    Should that be always in force to allow the hospitals to cope with the predicted onrush of sick/injured patients due to high jinks around the festive period or friends/families giving each other an additional present in the form of an infection.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #16  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,338
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonedtraveller View Post
    The bus get plenty of money.....it's just wasted.
    Hospital a and e are crammed with people with minor ailments
    People go to a and e because they can't get in the doctors.
    Yes it can be better but it ain't that bad

    For once I agree, our local paper had to do an article telling people not to go to A+E with flu symptoms, unbelievable to be honest.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #17  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,331
    Fair enough. I can't argue with you the experiences you have had. Only mine. My daughter is severely disable because of the NHS. She was perfectly healthy but starved of oxygen at birth. Now she has more problems than you could shake a stick at. But hey you just get along don't you? What's the alternative?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #18  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    38,784
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonedtraveller View Post
    The nhs gets plenty of money.....it's just wasted.
    Hospital a and e are crammed with people with minor ailments
    People go to a and e because they can't get in the doctors.
    Yes it can be better but it ain't that bad
    It's the same down here,people take themselves off to A&E rather than wait three months to see their doctor.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #19  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,338
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #20  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,444
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    Just read that “hospital bosses” are saying we’ve run out if beds. Don’t know. On Friday night, my severely disabled daughter became very ill. Heart rate went to 160, saturation’s dipped and we had to artificially breathe for her by bagging her (pumping her with oxygen whilst breathing for for her). Within 20 minutes of ringing an ambulance we had 4 staff at the house. Two ambulance crew and 2 paramedics. She was rushed to Alder Hey hospital and from the time we made the initial phone call to the time we were on the critical care unit (formally intensive care) was 2 hrs. People give the NHS so much stick. Nothing but praise for them. She was looked after so well that we were back home within 4 days. The quickest we’ve ever been on intensive care and back home. NHS rocks.
    Children get seen very quickly as a rule of thumb and the experience I've had with my kids (even when busy) is a very quick efficient service. Great staff too! In the few occasions I've needed to utilise them for the kids they've been exceptional.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #21  
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,823
    The biggest problem the NHS has is a shortage of staff and the introduction of agency workers.

    More and more nurses are leaving their posts in the NHS, in order to join agencies, to then work in the NHS. They get almost double the wages of staff who work directly for the NHS.

    They also have to work fewer hours to make the same wage, which in turn, leaves many hospitals short staffed.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #22  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Children get seen very quickly as a rule of thumb and the experience I've had with my kids (even when busy) is a very quick efficient service. Great staff too! In the few occasions I've needed to utilise them for the kids they've been exceptional.
    I'm not going to fight with you. Im talking about my experiences. Yours are completely different.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #23  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,135
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    I'm not going to fight with you. Im talking about my experiences. Yours are completely different.
    I can see your view point.

    If one has been unfortunate to have a bad outcome , it is well difficult to persuade the person that the system does work well overall, as you have to live every day with a result

    that says otherwise.

    There are many many problems in the NHS . Many could easily be resolved by non-politicization of the issues ,and getting rid of idiots like Jeremy Hunt.

    Many staff at the front end know the solutions, but no one will pay them any heed.
    My ship is coming in.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #24  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,444
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    I'm not going to fight with you. Im talking about my experiences. Yours are completely different.
    It looked like I was agreeing with you.

    My limited experience with the NHS has been largely positive (my kids, two operations and about a dozen head injuries as a kid..... which might explain my posting style )
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #25  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    27,728
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoBaggio94 View Post
    The biggest problem the NHS has is a shortage of staff and the introduction of agency workers.

    More and more nurses are leaving their posts in the NHS, in order to join agencies, to then work in the NHS. They get almost double the wages of staff who work directly for the NHS.

    They also have to work fewer hours to make the same wage, which in turn, leaves many hospitals short staffed.
    Its one of the problems, it has many IMO

    The other is the nature of our treatment and care for patients and patients care or lack of for themselves in some cases

    There is little in the way of preventative care, a field which promotes for example continuing independence in older age and less reliance on services, and sometimes after care for patients. Its also personal responsibility for patients to do all they can to support themselves with certain conditions where it takes actual management.

    I think the cost of a hospital bed overnight stay is £250 per night which is a huge cost, so when you throw things like the above into the equation you can see how much damage it all does

    The longer people are in, the worse it gets, the less staff we have, the bigger impacts on lengths of hospital stays too.

    I think we need a dramatic change in health care approaches basically, elderly people are far worse off going into hospital for instance so again we go full circle to that preventative care issue and how that could be adopted

    Staff in my experience tend to the do the absolute best they can but times have changed, as have needs and its not quite adapted to these in some ways
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #26  
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,993
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Its one of the problems, it has many IMO

    The other is the nature of our treatment and care for patients and patients care or lack of for themselves in some cases

    There is little in the way of preventative care, a field which promotes for example continuing independence in older age and less reliance on services, and sometimes after care for patients. Its also personal responsibility for patients to do all they can to support themselves with certain conditions where it takes actual management.

    I think the cost of a hospital bed overnight stay is £250 per night which is a huge cost, so when you throw things like the above into the equation you can see how much damage it all does

    The longer people are in, the worse it gets, the less staff we have, the bigger impacts on lengths of hospital stays too.

    I think we need a dramatic change in health care approaches basically, elderly people are far worse off going into hospital for instance so again we go full circle to that preventative care issue and how that could be adopted

    Staff in my experience tend to the do the absolute best they can but times have changed, as have needs and its not quite adapted to these in some ways
    Prevention is better than cure and seemingly cheaper.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #27  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    17,474
    Quote Originally Posted by rhoscoch View Post
    Prevention is better than cure and seemingly cheaper.
    What would the medicine industry live off and make shareholders happy with?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #28  
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,551
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Its one of the problems, it has many IMO

    The other is the nature of our treatment and care for patients and patients care or lack of for themselves in some cases

    There is little in the way of preventative care, a field which promotes for example continuing independence in older age and less reliance on services, and sometimes after care for patients. Its also personal responsibility for patients to do all they can to support themselves with certain conditions where it takes actual management.

    I think the cost of a hospital bed overnight stay is £250 per night which is a huge cost, so when you throw things like the above into the equation you can see how much damage it all does

    The longer people are in, the worse it gets, the less staff we have, the bigger impacts on lengths of hospital stays too.

    I think we need a dramatic change in health care approaches basically, elderly people are far worse off going into hospital for instance so again we go full circle to that preventative care issue and how that could be adopted

    Staff in my experience tend to the do the absolute best they can but times have changed, as have needs and its not quite adapted to these in some ways
    Needs have changed. Now a lot if the operations are merely for cosmetic reasons. Also many admissions are self inflicted through bad lifestyle choices
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #29  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    17,474
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Its one of the problems, it has many IMO

    The other is the nature of our treatment and care for patients and patients care or lack of for themselves in some cases

    There is little in the way of preventative care, a field which promotes for example continuing independence in older age and less reliance on services, and sometimes after care for patients. Its also personal responsibility for patients to do all they can to support themselves with certain conditions where it takes actual management.

    I think the cost of a hospital bed overnight stay is £250 per night which is a huge cost, so when you throw things like the above into the equation you can see how much damage it all does

    The longer people are in, the worse it gets, the less staff we have, the bigger impacts on lengths of hospital stays too.

    I think we need a dramatic change in health care approaches basically, elderly people are far worse off going into hospital for instance so again we go full circle to that preventative care issue and how that could be adopted

    Staff in my experience tend to the do the absolute best they can but times have changed, as have needs and its not quite adapted to these in some ways
    My wife works in a hospital.
    one of the reasons why the costs are high per patient is due to paper work and control, and control of control, and control of control of the control.
    they waste to much time and money on paperwork and have less and less time with patients.
    they are already understaffed and they can't hire new people because less people gets educated, it's not that they don't want to.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #30  
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by vonStauffenberg View Post
    Fair enough. I can't argue with you the experiences you have had. Only mine. My daughter is severely disable because of the NHS. She was perfectly healthy but starved of oxygen at birth. Now she has more problems than you could shake a stick at. But hey you just get along don't you? What's the alternative?
    why didn't you write that in your initial post?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •