Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 241 to 262 of 262

Thread: Weekend Football - 12/13/14/15 Jan 18

  1. #241  
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Looked lost.
    He’s looked terrible every time I’ve seen him play. Hard to believe he’s playing ahead of Willian. If we’re looking for a replacement for Coutinho, I’d love to take him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #242  
    geralion is online now Or a tiger they're almost as good
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    15,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogster View Post
    No VIRGIL against City?

    Where is he?!
    hamstring apparently. Training...
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #243  
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    5,188
    Seriously why would Alexis Sanchez go to the scum when he could play in that City team?.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #244  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,805
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #245  
    White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,193
    Terrific result for Bournemouth.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #246  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Anfield_al9 View Post
    Claude: I want the whole lot of them gone! Wenger, Gazidis, Kroenke... Mr Chips!

    TY: That's Catchphrase! That's Catchphrase!

    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #247  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,307
    Hopefully we have kick started Citys bad patch, Pepe seems pretty helpless when they get outplayed.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #248  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogster View Post
    Claude: I want the whole lot of them gone! Wenger, Gazidis, Kroenke... Mr Chips!

    TY: That's Catchphrase! That's Catchphrase!

    Troopz blud blud blud blud again
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #249  
    WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    33,947
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Ibe is genuinely useless, I don't think he's completed a pass yet.

    Hope he scores the winner now, though
    Never in doubt! Ha. Had to laugh at MOTD singling him out as the pick of the players yesterday, he was awful in the first half.

    Glad he got the winner though, I would like to see him kick on now for them.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #250  
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,301
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Never in doubt! Ha. Had to laugh at MOTD singling him out as the pick of the players yesterday, he was awful in the first half.

    Glad he got the winner though, I would like to see him kick on now for them.
    We have a buyback clause.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #251  
    WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    33,947
    Anyone see this from the PSG game last night? Ref accidentally collides with the Nantes player and falls over, then kicks out at him and then sends him off Mental. Surely a big punishment coming up for him...or probably not.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBuegsikVbE

    EDIT: I've just realised he then gave PSG a freekick for the Nantes player fouling him!
    Last edited by WilbertoSilva; 15-1-18 at 11:10.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #252  
    naturalskill is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    32,604
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Anyone see this from the PSG game last night? Ref accidentally collides with the Nantes player and falls over, then kicks out at him and then sends him off Mental. Surely a big punishment coming up for him...or probably not.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBuegsikVbE

    EDIT: I've just realised he then gave PSG for a freekick for the Nantes player fouling him!
    hilarius
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #253  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28,736
    Forgetting that there was something going on at Old Toilet night, no real surprise that Stoke dropped the pants and got spanked

    anyway tonight we have FA Cup replays and French football

    England - FA Cup 2017/2018 - 3. Round
    19:45 Leicester City - Fleetwood Town
    19:45 Mansfield Town - Cardiff City
    19:45 West Ham United - Shrewsbury Town
    19:45 Sheffield Wednesday - Carlisle United
    20:00 Reading FC - Stevenage FC.

    France - Ligue 1 2017/2018 -
    18:00 Girondins Bordeaux - SM Caen
    18:00 Olympique Marseille - RC Strasbourg
    20:00 AS Monaco - OGC Nice
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #254  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28,736
    So Nice helped PSG as Nice and 2nd place Monaco draw 2-2

    Maureen signs a contract extension - hahaha

    Ronaldinho retires

    And the VAR makes history
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42712751
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #255  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28,736
    tonight we have more FA Cup and French football and Spanish Copa del Rey

    England - FA Cup 2017/2018 - 3. Round
    19:45 Chelsea FC - Norwich City
    19:45 Swansea City - Wolverhampton Wanderers
    19:45 Wigan Athletic - AFC Bournemouth

    France - Ligue 1 2017/2018 -
    18:00 EA Guingamp - Olympique Lyon
    18:00 FC Metz - AS Saint-Étienne
    20:00 Paris Saint-Germain - Dijon FCO

    Spain - Copa del Rey 2017/2018 - Quarter-finals
    18:00 Atlético Madrid - Sevilla FC
    18:00 Valencia CF - CD Alavés
    20:00 Espanyol Barcelona - FC Barcelona
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #256  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    29,857
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    Hopefully we have kick started Citys bad patch, Pepe seems pretty helpless when they get outplayed.
    haha… I like that.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #257  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28,736
    Chelsea was a great comedy skit last night

    3 booked for diving - 2 sent off - Extra time and penalties needed

    The Chelsea players wanting pens and VAR

    Conte blowing a fuse on the touchline....

    Great fun
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #258  
    WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    33,947
    Shearer has already labeled VAR 'a shambles!' after a whole 2 weeks of it being in use. That's that, then. His reasoning being that 'as it will always be someone else's opinion, it's a shambles'...so unless it matches his opinion, it's wrong. Personally, I felt Willian used the cheap old trick of leaving his leg there to make contact with the Norwich player, and I'd rather that was removed from the game but I understand some people think it's a penalty. If that incident occured on the halfway line and Willian had a chance to drive forward with the ball, I'm sure he'd easily have hurdled that challenge.

    Jenas stating that Morata had 'a right to go down' gets on my nerves too, basically saying he has a right to dive and embellish any minimal contact.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #259  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28,736
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Shearer has already labeled VAR 'a shambles!' after a whole 2 weeks of it being in use. That's that, then. His reasoning being that 'as it will always be someone else's opinion, it's a shambles'...so unless it matches his opinion, it's wrong. Personally, I felt Willian used the cheap old trick of leaving his leg there to make contact with the Norwich player, and I'd rather that was removed from the game but I understand some people think it's a penalty. If that incident occured on the halfway line and Willian had a chance to drive forward with the ball, I'm sure he'd easily have hurdled that challenge.

    Jenas stating that Morata had 'a right to go down' gets on my nerves too, basically saying he has a right to dive and embellish any minimal contact.
    Yep - Shearer is wrong on a shambles, but right about opinion
    Jenas is a product of todays world, its always somebody elses fault... - no two players are the same, it is why we are individual and not clones, that means that running and tackling will be slower and late sometimes

    Will I am should of been sent off for that dive, it was crass
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #260  
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    24,410
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Shearer has already labeled VAR 'a shambles!' after a whole 2 weeks of it being in use. That's that, then. His reasoning being that 'as it will always be someone else's opinion, it's a shambles'...so unless it matches his opinion, it's wrong. Personally, I felt Willian used the cheap old trick of leaving his leg there to make contact with the Norwich player, and I'd rather that was removed from the game but I understand some people think it's a penalty. If that incident occured on the halfway line and Willian had a chance to drive forward with the ball, I'm sure he'd easily have hurdled that challenge.

    Jenas stating that Morata had 'a right to go down' gets on my nerves too, basically saying he has a right to dive and embellish any minimal contact.
    This is the problem, there's such a huge grey area - and players are actively encouraged to exploit it.
    If he doesn't go down he's got very little chance of winning a penalty, even though it was a foul...give the ref a decision to make.
    Willian might well have been able to hurdle that challenge, but if he then loses the ball or his balance because of that...might as well trail a leg to make the foul more obvious.

    In both instances good attacking play has induced illegal challenges but neither was really enough to bring the man down - is that enough for a penalty or not? Or is exaggerated contact now also considered to be a dive? The rules, and officials, and pundits, don't seem to be consistently certain. And going to VAR cleared up nothing.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #261  
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    46
    I've said before on these forums that ex-professionals like Shearer and Jenas, are partly to blame for players going to ground at the slightest touch. They are not justified in falling unless the touch is strong enough to make them lose their footing. Anything else is cheating, pure and simple. If they can stay on their feet outside the penalty area they can do so, inside.

    What sort of example does it show to youngsters watching on TV to hear these pundits justifying blatant cheating, and then trying to defend themselves when the referee doesn't fall for it?

    Watching Willian last night I personally thought that he initiated the contact by starting to hurdle the challenge and then letting his foot make contact with the defenders, thus causing him to fall
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #262  
    steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    14,188
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    This is the problem, there's such a huge grey area - and players are actively encouraged to exploit it.
    If he doesn't go down he's got very little chance of winning a penalty, even though it was a foul...give the ref a decision to make.

    Willian might well have been able to hurdle that challenge, but if he then loses the ball or his balance because of that...might as well trail a leg to make the foul more obvious.

    In both instances good attacking play has induced illegal challenges but neither was really enough to bring the man down - is that enough for a penalty or not? Or is exaggerated contact now also considered to be a dive? The rules, and officials, and pundits, don't seem to be consistently certain. And going to VAR cleared up nothing.
    You're damned if you do and damned if you don't sometimes I agree. And it's hard to think of any good solution for it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •