Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Weekend Football - 12/13/14/15 Jan 18

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldiogs View Post
    Looked lost.
    He’s looked terrible every time I’ve seen him play. Hard to believe he’s playing ahead of Willian. If we’re looking for a replacement for Coutinho, I’d love to take him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

geralion is online now Or a tiger they're almost as good
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogster View Post
    No VIRGIL against City?

Where is he?!
    hamstring apparently. Training...

Seriously why would Alexis Sanchez go to the scum when he could play in that City team?.

White Star Line is online now Academy prospect
    Terrific result for Bournemouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield_al9 View Post
    Claude: I want the whole lot of them gone! Wenger, Gazidis, Kroenke... Mr Chips!

TY: That's Catchphrase! That's Catchphrase!

Hopefully we have kick started Citys bad patch, Pepe seems pretty helpless when they get outplayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogster View Post
    Claude: I want the whole lot of them gone! Wenger, Gazidis, Kroenke... Mr Chips!

TY: That's Catchphrase! That's Catchphrase!

Troopz blud blud blud blud again

WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    Ibe is genuinely useless, I don't think he's completed a pass yet.

Hope he scores the winner now, though
    Never in doubt! Ha. Had to laugh at MOTD singling him out as the pick of the players yesterday, he was awful in the first half.

Glad he got the winner though, I would like to see him kick on now for them.

Never in doubt! Ha. Had to laugh at MOTD singling him out as the pick of the players yesterday, he was awful in the first half.

Glad he got the winner though, I would like to see him kick on now for them.
    We have a buyback clause.

Anyone see this from the PSG game last night? Ref accidentally collides with the Nantes player and falls over, then kicks out at him and then sends him off Mental. Surely a big punishment coming up for him...or probably not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBuegsikVbE

EDIT: I've just realised he then gave PSG a freekick for the Nantes player fouling him!
    Last edited by WilbertoSilva; 15-1-18 at 11:10.

naturalskill is online now First team regular
    Anyone see this from the PSG game last night? Ref accidentally collides with the Nantes player and falls over, then kicks out at him and then sends him off Mental. Surely a big punishment coming up for him...or probably not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBuegsikVbE

EDIT: I've just realised he then gave PSG for a freekick for the Nantes player fouling him!
    hilarius

Forgetting that there was something going on at Old Toilet night, no real surprise that Stoke dropped the pants and got spanked

anyway tonight we have FA Cup replays and French football

England - FA Cup 2017/2018 - 3. Round
    19:45 Leicester City - Fleetwood Town
    19:45 Mansfield Town - Cardiff City
    19:45 West Ham United - Shrewsbury Town
    19:45 Sheffield Wednesday - Carlisle United
    20:00 Reading FC - Stevenage FC.

France - Ligue 1 2017/2018 -
    18:00 Girondins Bordeaux - SM Caen
    18:00 Olympique Marseille - RC Strasbourg
    20:00 AS Monaco - OGC Nice

So Nice helped PSG as Nice and 2nd place Monaco draw 2-2

Maureen signs a contract extension - hahaha

Ronaldinho retires

And the VAR makes history
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42712751

tonight we have more FA Cup and French football and Spanish Copa del Rey

England - FA Cup 2017/2018 - 3. Round
    19:45 Chelsea FC - Norwich City
    19:45 Swansea City - Wolverhampton Wanderers
    19:45 Wigan Athletic - AFC Bournemouth

France - Ligue 1 2017/2018 -
    18:00 EA Guingamp - Olympique Lyon
    18:00 FC Metz - AS Saint-Étienne
    20:00 Paris Saint-Germain - Dijon FCO

Spain - Copa del Rey 2017/2018 - Quarter-finals
    18:00 Atlético Madrid - Sevilla FC
    18:00 Valencia CF - CD Alavés
    20:00 Espanyol Barcelona - FC Barcelona

Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    Hopefully we have kick started Citys bad patch, Pepe seems pretty helpless when they get outplayed.
    haha… I like that.

Chelsea was a great comedy skit last night

3 booked for diving - 2 sent off - Extra time and penalties needed

The Chelsea players wanting pens and VAR

Conte blowing a fuse on the touchline....

Great fun

Shearer has already labeled VAR 'a shambles!' after a whole 2 weeks of it being in use. That's that, then. His reasoning being that 'as it will always be someone else's opinion, it's a shambles'...so unless it matches his opinion, it's wrong. Personally, I felt Willian used the cheap old trick of leaving his leg there to make contact with the Norwich player, and I'd rather that was removed from the game but I understand some people think it's a penalty. If that incident occured on the halfway line and Willian had a chance to drive forward with the ball, I'm sure he'd easily have hurdled that challenge.

Jenas stating that Morata had 'a right to go down' gets on my nerves too, basically saying he has a right to dive and embellish any minimal contact.

Shearer has already labeled VAR 'a shambles!' after a whole 2 weeks of it being in use. That's that, then. His reasoning being that 'as it will always be someone else's opinion, it's a shambles'...so unless it matches his opinion, it's wrong. Personally, I felt Willian used the cheap old trick of leaving his leg there to make contact with the Norwich player, and I'd rather that was removed from the game but I understand some people think it's a penalty. If that incident occured on the halfway line and Willian had a chance to drive forward with the ball, I'm sure he'd easily have hurdled that challenge.

Jenas stating that Morata had 'a right to go down' gets on my nerves too, basically saying he has a right to dive and embellish any minimal contact.
    Yep - Shearer is wrong on a shambles, but right about opinion
    Jenas is a product of todays world, its always somebody elses fault... - no two players are the same, it is why we are individual and not clones, that means that running and tackling will be slower and late sometimes

Will I am should of been sent off for that dive, it was crass

This is the problem, there's such a huge grey area - and players are actively encouraged to exploit it.
    If he doesn't go down he's got very little chance of winning a penalty, even though it was a foul...give the ref a decision to make.
    Willian might well have been able to hurdle that challenge, but if he then loses the ball or his balance because of that...might as well trail a leg to make the foul more obvious.

In both instances good attacking play has induced illegal challenges but neither was really enough to bring the man down - is that enough for a penalty or not? Or is exaggerated contact now also considered to be a dive? The rules, and officials, and pundits, don't seem to be consistently certain. And going to VAR cleared up nothing.

I've said before on these forums that ex-professionals like Shearer and Jenas, are partly to blame for players going to ground at the slightest touch. They are not justified in falling unless the touch is strong enough to make them lose their footing. Anything else is cheating, pure and simple. If they can stay on their feet outside the penalty area they can do so, inside.

What sort of example does it show to youngsters watching on TV to hear these pundits justifying blatant cheating, and then trying to defend themselves when the referee doesn't fall for it?

Watching Willian last night I personally thought that he initiated the contact by starting to hurdle the challenge and then letting his foot make contact with the defenders, thus causing him to fall

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    This is the problem, there's such a huge grey area - and players are actively encouraged to exploit it.
    If he doesn't go down he's got very little chance of winning a penalty, even though it was a foul...give the ref a decision to make.

Willian might well have been able to hurdle that challenge, but if he then loses the ball or his balance because of that...might as well trail a leg to make the foul more obvious.

In both instances good attacking play has induced illegal challenges but neither was really enough to bring the man down - is that enough for a penalty or not? Or is exaggerated contact now also considered to be a dive? The rules, and officials, and pundits, don't seem to be consistently certain. And going to VAR cleared up nothing.
    You're damned if you do and damned if you don't sometimes I agree. And it's hard to think of any good solution for it.